Creating a footballing DNA - Athletic Club

Ok, so keeper development again

Goalkeeper Development Part 2 - Training Options

So of course, there are the options to "target" each attribute, which can be usefull to address a weakness in a keeper. Lets also look at the "role training" options:

GK (D)

DdszL1c.jpg

SK (D)

Fo1Vjb6.jpg

SK (S)

AZS9zvF.jpg

SK (A)

OWQ57iX.jpg

So the differences......

Going from normal Keeper to SK(d) adds on composure, which makese some sense, and concentration which doesnt. Concentration is defined in game as judging whether a player is more likely to make a mistake when he gets tired late in games. I fail to see really why thats a bigger issue for an SK than a GK really. Going to SK also removes "communication" which again, i really dont understand if i am honest.

Moving up the ladder to SK(s) adds in Acceleration and rushing out. I can see the logic in that, although id argue that SK(d) should also have rushing out. Moving up this step also doesnt take anything away.

Finally up to SK(a) - This adds nothing, but takes away "Decisions". Again, i am not really following that logic...........

There is also SK "All duties" as an option, which is exactly the same as SK(s).......

Ok, so analysing that, SK(s) gives me the widest spread. The only downside is it wont train "communication" but the things it adds are worth that, unless i have a real weakness in "communication".

So if i was going with role training, i would choose SK(s) every time. But do i want to go with role training ,or individual attribute?

Before i answer that, i also need to consider the impact of "General training" on my GK. My approach at the moment is to keep general training low, but it is worth considering. For this, i refer to Rashidi's post which details how each category of general training will impact keepers (towards the bottom of that post)

So from that post we can see that the main category of general training which will benefit keepers is "Tactical". Now i know i alternate that type with "ball control" and "fitness" in my setup, so thats a nice benefit.

So that takes me to my conclusion - I will analyse each keeper for an obvious weakness in what i define to be a "key attribute". If they have a weakness (under "12) or weaknesses, i will focus on those attributes until they reach a satisfactory level, at which point i will put them onto "SK(s)" role training.

Keeper Attributes - what is key?

Much like how i reached my conclusions for general players, this will be subjective. I have picked out what i consider the 4 key attributes for keepers:

Handling

Reflexes

Agility

One on ones

I have excluded any distribution related ones as i always want them to distribute short, and i see this as the keepers secondary function. I have chosen not to focus on aerial ability or command of area, simply because we are a team which generally dominates most games, and dont deal with many crosses at all. Shot stopping and the odd one v one are more important to me.

So i review each keeper, and stick them into the old matrix format:

pQxkUJp.png

This tells me that Arrizabaga can go onto the role training, but Eyang needs to focus on Agilty for a short burst (2 months initially). After that i might alternate him month by month on those 4 key attributes to see how that compares to leaving on role training.

Goalkeeper development part 3 - Match time

So probably the most difficult part of developing a keeper. Game time is crucial to any players development and it is harder to achieve in this position than any other IMO. With a DC, i can put him alongside an experienced partner to mitigate any team performance risks. Likewise with an MC. A winger or striker can of course benefit from lots of sub time. With a keeper, sub appearances are not likely to happen. Starting them is a big risk if they are not developed. Of course there is the "cup approach" which is common in real life - Play your back up in cup games. In spain of course, there is only one cup and there is no guarantee of more than 4 or so games, which isnt enough to develop a keeper.

So you have to either be ready to take the plunge and throw them in for league games, or else you consider the loan system. For outfield players, i use loans rarely as i need more control over development. With a keeper though, the training options are more limited anyway. If i can find a club with good facilities who are willing to give him first team games, i might be more likely to loan out a keeper.

Of course, in my case, i have my B team playing in the Adelente which is pretty much better than most loan options :D

So there we go, hope that is some use!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So probably the most difficult part of developing a keeper. Game time is crucial to any players development and it is harder to achieve in this position than any other IMO.

yeah totally right, keepers are the most annoying category to develop. Its the one position thats vital to your game, and its hard to rotate someone through with at least 15 games for the attributes to show dramatic increase. I will be following this closely. It sounds about right, I would also be doing something with the best widest spread possible, and if they play in the role you want them to be trained in that helps as well.

Yup that raises an interesting point actually.

The advantage with keeper training, if there is one, is that the role training will cover everything the keeper needs, regardless of the system(s) you use. If you compare it to a a striker, you might have a striker who is playing as say a F9, but he has a weakness in one specific area which F9 training doesnt cover at all. Because one F9 is not the same as another. Also, you might want to change your system at some point and move him from an F9 to lets say a CF(a). Then you might have the issue that your role training is no longer developing that player appropriately .

For a keeper, less likely to be an issue - You can simplify it - Step 1, identify and train specific weaknesses on single attributes. Step 2, stick him on SK(s) role training and he will always be training on the right skills to keep goal :)

15 games is very hard to try and achieve as you say. It might interesting for me to compare how Eyong develops, playing every single week in the adelente, against Arrizabaga who will get maybe 5 games in the cup or liga BBVA. I might try and track it fairly carefully.

jambo,

2. questions

firstly what other formation could u think would be good for a pressing/possession style like this? i like how yours is unique and not standard,

aand second if i did more of a counter one, what attributes would u use in your table? for example would it be teamwork, work rate, tackling, marking, dribbling etc? sohard to narrow down adn get like 4 or 5 pre requesits like u use

well i can respect that however what would u suggest for a physical, hard working direct style of play?
yeah its very fullon iv gone to australia actually with brisbane roar and going to try to implement a passing possession tactic long term.

but so far its high press and stuff with 14 team instructuions. so probably to many?

jambo,

2. questions

firstly what other formation could u think would be good for a pressing/possession style like this? i like how yours is unique and not standard,

aand second if i did more of a counter one, what attributes would u use in your table? for example would it be teamwork, work rate, tackling, marking, dribbling etc? sohard to narrow down adn get like 4 or 5 pre requesits like u use

Leeds, have a day off ;).

You are all over the place, chopping and changing at the drop of a hat. How much help do you think Jambo is able to give you if you keep changing your mind like this?

Take a step back, think about what it is you want to do and stick to it - don't change your mind the next day. You will get a lot more pleasure out of the game and a lot more people willing to help you.

This thread is not about "Jambo tell me what to do". It's supposed to help inspire you in your own long term save.

Yup i am sorry leeds i have tried to help you lots of times, but you are asking the same question, lots of times, in lots of threads, mostly threads which are not for that purpose.

I would suggest you stop doing that, just a suggestion. The answer to everything you ask have been given countless times in countless places. You need to step back and maybe go away and figure some things out.

I've told him over the same thing. If it happens again lads, ignore him and either hit the report function or send me a PM and I'll delete his posts so it doesn't ruin the discussion or clog up the thread :)

The stuff about the which position training to choose seems a little confusing. I may have to take a look at it again when I'm off work. It still sounds like it's up to the person depending on what traits they look though. In terms of what you're tracking I'm a little surprised to hear that you didn't include any distribution traits considering you're trying to play possession football. I understand how it might not affect short passing (I think maybe it will to some extent) but I think he also be more likely to keep possession on longer kicks by hitting to a man further down field (maybe this is just wishful thinking). Did you consider using positioning? As a former GK myself I think this is a must and is one that I included in my own chart.

Again, kutgw!

Hmm i would have thought it was reasonably straightforward actually :) There is so little variation between the positional training for keepers. Your desired traits will likely not be able to come into it, unless you go for attribute specific training in cycles.

I want me keeper to roll it out each time to my defenders (He doesnt, never has, patch has made no difference - Such an annoying bug). That being the case his throwing and kicking wont make a difference (IIRC - these attributes only relate to the distance he can kick and throw).

Positioning is one to consider, but my personal choice was to limit it to those 4. The great thing is everyone looks at it differently :)

I've told him over the same thing. If it happens again lads, ignore him and either hit the report function or send me a PM and I'll delete his posts so it doesn't ruin the discussion or clog up the thread :)

dont ignore me lol but ok just wanted to know what he thought would be some good stats

Hmm i would have thought it was reasonably straightforward actually :) There is so little variation between the positional training for keepers. Your desired traits will likely not be able to come into it, unless you go for attribute specific training in cycles.

I want me keeper to roll it out each time to my defenders (He doesnt, never has, patch has made no difference - Such an annoying bug). That being the case his throwing and kicking wont make a difference (IIRC - these attributes only relate to the distance he can kick and throw).

Positioning is one to consider, but my personal choice was to limit it to those 4. The great thing is everyone looks at it differently :)

You are correct. I was reading on my phone so I wasn't able to see the pictures. It does seem to make the most sense to choose SK-s. Swansea start with a 17 year old GK that seems to have good potential. I'm hoping to develop him to eventually replace Vorm. I should also mention that I'm still playing FM14, so maybe the kicking might matter more.

I've finally done what I've been meaning to do for a little while, which is sit down and properly re-read this with a nice cold beer ;).

I only have one question - if you look back on everything you have done, and now armed with that knowledge, what (if anything) would you have done differently? So a self-critique if you like.

The only question I have of myself, is which team do I pick for this…go with the team I support (West Ham) and recreate the Academy, or the club I grew up watching - Plymouth Argyle. That sacchi tactic was the closest I've come to a "DNA", as everything had to be spot on for such an extreme tactic, but it didn't focus much on youth development.

Good stuff Jambo :thup:.

I've finally done what I've been meaning to do for a little while, which is sit down and properly re-read this with a nice cold beer ;).

I only have one question - if you look back on everything you have done, and now armed with that knowledge, what (if anything) would you have done differently? So a self-critique if you like.

The only question I have of myself, is which team do I pick for this…go with the team I support (West Ham) and recreate the Academy, or the club I grew up watching - Plymouth Argyle. That sacchi tactic was the closest I've come to a "DNA", as everything had to be spot on for such an extreme tactic, but it didn't focus much on youth development.

Good stuff Jambo :thup:.

Hey herne - Cheers for the words :) That cold beer sounds mighty fine about now i must say.....

Thats a heck of a question! There are probably a few things. One of the things about how i play the game is i absolutely make mistakes. I am not brilliant at it, i learn through the mistakes mostly. With hindsight, i had the system wrong initially. I was blinded by my pressing 361 being a success at Milan, when i had players purpose signed for the system. With Bilbao i did not have the option to sign suitable players, so i should not have been so ambitious with the system.

That said, i certainly dont regret any of it :) Its all part of the learning and the experience of football management. I am not good enough to exploit the AI so i sufferer the ups and downs :)

Team choice is always tricky. I was lucky to think of Athletic early and they are such a perfect club for this. I have thought about doing another version. Le Harve were a team i fancied, and also Genoa (i have a thing for island teams, and Sardinia is perfect!)

I think the DNA has to run beyond a tactic and through every aspect of the club. Its hard to do fully in FM, but there are ways for sure :) been great fun.

erm do you mean Cagliari? ;)

33duiic.png

Yeh my thinking was perhaps a little ambitious going for 3-6-1 straight off the bat like that - more of an aspirational tactic to evolve into I guess.

I'm at the planning stage now, I'll do some updates if you are interested.

Cheers :).

Haha yeah sorry. I have a seperate Genoa save on the go (They have a tycoon :D). I did start a save with Cagliari, couple of nice players in the squad but i didnt get into it, was around patch time and i was still fed up with the ongoing bugs!

Sure feel free to update on how you approach it - The great thing about a club DNA is that there is no single approach to building a football clube ;)

I still have this save going, just hit transfer window where Munian is leaving for £61 million and Azpillcueta is joining for £22million. Meantime i am pondering a totally different project about simplicity...........basically the opposite of this :D

I've umm'd and ahh'd a fair bit about this, and have chosen Bari in Italian Serie B.

Why Bari? A few reasons:

1) I like playing in Italy.

2) They play at one of those massive stadiums left over from the Italia '90 World Cup, so plenty of room to grow into (hopefully :D).

3) There are some aspects of (historic) Italian football I want to explore more, such as using a Sweeper and a Regista (not a DLP - think De Rossi rather than Pirlo).

4) I'm not looking at a Catennaccio re-creation, but there are a couple of aspects about it I will take inspiration from.

So, how to relate this back to the OP:

(NOTE - I realise the following are simply Jambo's own view on things, but I actually like the approach, so see no reason to change things much):

1) Tactical identity and approach

The end goal is to play with a Sweeper and a Regista, playing a brand of (defensively) low risk, hard to break down football. However, not forgetting the attacking game, I want "vertical football at great speed, with no more than 3 passes to get to the opponents' box". (+1 internet to whoever recognises that quote ;)). We may not start off like that (squads have to evolve), but that is the aim.

As a side note, this will also give me a defensive diamond formation, rather than the more popular midfield diamond - something I've wanted to explore more for a while now. The idea of this is to attempt to force the opposition down the wings where they will (hopefully) be relatively harmless.

I have no idea how I'm going to achieve that yet of course, but that's the challenge :).

2) Player recruitment approach

I will only recruit and employ Italian players. All non-Italians will be gone by the start of season 2. I would love to get to the point at which my entire squad is called up to the Italian national team, but that is a long way off.

I'll focus on youth development, but will also buy players (funds allowing) that will benefit the club.

Since I'll only have Italy loaded, the game should also play a little faster.

3) Staff / background team approach

The same as player recruitment - the club must be Italian through and through. Further, personality is crucial, especially in the "management" positions, so that will be an eventual criteria - early signings may be sub-par, simply because of available personnel.

That's it for now, chip in with any suggestions :).

Charles Reep and his infamous bit in Inverting the Pyramid?
Charles Hughes more recently i would suggest :)

Nil points ;).

Here's the clue:

I'm not looking at a Catennaccio re-creation, but there are a couple of aspects about it I will take inspiration from.

Herrera ! :cool:

I am fairly sure it was hughes who published the research around 3 passes or less? Reap before him. Herrera used it and spoke about it, but i think the research was from the 2 english chaps :)

Bari are getting more and more interesting.

Of 23 first team players, 13 are loaned in - I've never seen so many names in blue.

Oh, and the club captain (Francesco Caputo) is kaput-o. He has a global ban until Jan 2017 (for match fixing).

Bari is fun.

Good read. I am Basque. So, it is a must that I start an Athletic save. Been putting it off just trying to find the right time. I found a Tiki I like and I am going to use that with Athletic and try to build a club and dynasty around that.

Nice one :thup:

So, I've decided to go all out and add in not only a Sweeper and Regista, but also attempt a form of Tornante and a False 9.

Obviously the Tornante is not in the game, so I'll just use it as some inspiration. My starting point is a Defensive Winger.

The tactic is obviously the key to all of this, and is what all of the club's "DNA" should be leading up to. So, bearing in mind that I aim to play a (defensively) low risk, hard to break down game, but with vertical pacey football in attack the following is my initial tactical thoughts.

NOTES

1) This is very much a work in progress and nowhere near the finished article.

2) It is limited by the players I have available. I expect roles and duties to change as the squad evolves.

3) I actually have 2 starting tactics - the other is with an Attacking mentality and a few different TIs (same formation). This is because I am unsure yet whether I can make fairly direct attacking movement using the Defensive mentality mentioned below. It may also come down to player positioning in as much as my striker could end up isolated if he has long(ish) balls played into him as the support he would need could get left behind. Playing games will show me this.

4) I view the tactic used as the club's identity. It's what we do and what sets us apart. As you can see, it's not just another 4-2-3-1 ;).

x0vc5f.png

Good luck on your save herne79! I first tried creating a club DNA at a league 2 team and I quickly realized it would take years to see any progress. I hope Serie B is much better. It looks like you have come up with a very unusual tactic. Are you at all worried about that will affect the academy players you intake? Maybe Jambo can chime in as well. I tried to stick to a more conventional tatctic in an effort to get players that were better natural fits.

Quick update.

Just spent some time setting up individual training plans and identifying the few semi-precious gems for special attention (ie., the few who may be of some use in helping me avoid relegation assuming I get promoted).

I won't be keeping the detailed spreadsheets similar to Jambos', instead I make extensive use of the in-game Notes system.

So for example, if I am Tutoring someone I will make a Note of when it started, who their Tutor is and their starting Personality & Determination. When Tutoring finishes, I then have a simple check to see how their finishing Personality & Determination have changed. I also have a record of who Tutored them.

I also create a separate Training Note for the few I have identified for special attention (every player has a training plan, but just a few will make it in the future and it is those I make note of). This Training Note includes Date Started, the ability or role I am training and a 3 month reminder so I can check their progress and alter things if needed.

To monitor their training progress, I just use the in-game graphs on the training screen (to check annual progression) and I take a screenshot of their starting attributes so I have a reference point for 2+ years in the future.

I have a feeling there is a way to download attributes to Excel, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Oh one other thing - I decided to change my Captain as the current one has a global ban from football until Jan 2017. And guess what? This upset him to the point that he wants a transfer (which can't happen anyway) and he doesn't like me after I told him his behaviour was unsuitable (he's been match fixing). :rolleyes:

Good luck on your save herne79! I first tried creating a club DNA at a league 2 team and I quickly realized it would take years to see any progress. I hope Serie B is much better. It looks like you have come up with a very unusual tactic. Are you at all worried about that will affect the academy players you intake? Maybe Jambo can chime in as well. I tried to stick to a more conventional tatctic in an effort to get players that were better natural fits.

Cheers :).

Not worried at all no. The only "unusual" position which I may not get a natural regen player for is the Sweeper, but 15/16 year olds can be easily trained in a new position.

The only slight concern I have, and this is a concern that I always have regardless of my team, is the level of aggression given to regens. I often find this is stupidly low and can only be increased naturally over time (I believe), which doesn't always happen to any great extent anyway. I like a few players with decent levels of aggression.

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath on getting many (any?) really decent regens for a couple of seasons yet - youth facilities are ok but need upgrading and the club reputation needs improving before I start to see any come through really. But then this is more of a long term save aimed at fully developing something from the ground up, rather than starting at a club who already has good facilities.

There is a way to download the attributes into excel, i can dig out my post on it if you need it. Its not exactly one click, but its fairly easy to do :) Let me know if you want the details.

There is a way to download the attributes into excel, i can dig out my post on it if you need it. Its not exactly one click, but its fairly easy to do :) Let me know if you want the details.

Cheers, I thought there is but it's ok ta - happy using the in-game Notes & graphs and taking a few screenshots. :)

I just got the first youth intake day. There aren't a lot of quality prospects, but I was pleased with the number of good personalities, so I'm happy to see some progress already. I'm not sure how the system works in Spain, but I have to decide which players to sign. Any tips on who to sign? Right now I'm thinking of only signing players with good potential and/or have a good personality type.

I just got the first youth intake day. There aren't a lot of quality prospects, but I was pleased with the number of good personalities, so I'm happy to see some progress already. I'm not sure how the system works in Spain, but I have to decide which players to sign. Any tips on who to sign? Right now I'm thinking of only signing players with good potential and/or have a good personality type.

Generally this is a personal decision, and entirely dependant on how you want to play as a club. A good start is always to look for them to have decent attributes in the non key areas of the desired role you want them to play in since CA is like a currency for player development. So if a player already has >10 in pace, stamina, acceleration, determination, teamwork. I wouldn't hesitate.

I tend to go with good potential (look at multiple reports on them) and good attributes. A good personality is a great bonus, and you should be rewarded if you have focused on your staff personalities, but of course you can also always tutor to improve personality where as potential is fixed.

I do love intake day :D it probably helped that Athletic have such great youth recruitment and overall youth setup, so i always got through at least a couple of good prospects. Takes me back to the great times of playing the "youth only" challenges over the last few years - You literally live for that one day of the season!

Rashidi, can you clarify what you mean when you "CA is like currency for player development?" I also read Cleon's thread about looking at other traits when deciding how to develop players, so I followed that point as well.

My youth recruitment needs a lot improvement to be world class. I'm hoping I can become better at developing youths by the time I get the youth setup improved to that level.

Looking forward to another update about your save Jambo!

Ouch :( never had that before. Sorry to hear. I have had saves fail in the past, never to that degree. I think last time i raged a bit in the bugs forum about how they can still let this happen......

Yeh sucks, I've had to do a complete uninstall / reinstall, so everything lost :(.

Ah well, an opportunity for a completely fresh start - pretend it's the first time I've got the game again, but armed with extra knowledge :).

I probably will restart this exercise in due course. I spent a lot of time setting things up and learning, so it should go smoother next time. I'll start a quick save or two first however to make sure the gremlins have disappeared before I launch into something long term.

Yeh sucks, I've had to do a complete uninstall / reinstall, so everything lost :(.

Ah well, an opportunity for a completely fresh start - pretend it's the first time I've got the game again, but armed with extra knowledge :).

I probably will restart this exercise in due course. I spent a lot of time setting things up and learning, so it should go smoother next time. I'll start a quick save or two first however to make sure the gremlins have disappeared before I launch into something long term.

Backup saves saves saves buddy....along with that cloud save option

On the topic of footballing DNA, interesting interview/article with Ian Cathro on the BBC site this week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31807179

You can see a lot of what Cathro is saying about how he would build a club relates to the concept of "DNA". Ironically my attempt at this in FM14 (which i didnt document as much) was partly based on Cathro - At the time he was expected to come to Hearts as HOYD under Levien and i tried to copy some of the structure they wanted to build.

I will come back to building the Athletic dynasty in due course, i really love this save and cant let it die :D

On the topic of footballing DNA, interesting interview/article with Ian Cathro on the BBC site this week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31807179

You can see a lot of what Cathro is saying about how he would build a club relates to the concept of "DNA". Ironically my attempt at this in FM14 (which i didnt document as much) was partly based on Cathro - At the time he was expected to come to Hearts as HOYD under Levien and i tried to copy some of the structure they wanted to build.

I will come back to building the Athletic dynasty in due course, i really love this save and cant let it die :D

That was a very interesting article, and reminds me of something I'm struggling with in my save, and that is the ability to plan two or three transfer windows in the future. It seems to take some serious thought and planning to be able to plan out a depth chart for the next few years. With first team players getting older and young guys trying to take their place, it's challenging trying to predict when that will take place.

I've been messing around with importing data to Excel and using Conditional Formatting to keep track of things - is this the kind of thing you talk about?

25qq45e.png

So from the data:- red highlights = attribute has fallen; yellow = no change; green = improvement.

It doesn't take too long to set up, and the data export is pretty straightforward - you use Print Screen > Text File as well? Separating the columns in the text file for Excel to read is the only fiddly part.

Yes please.

Go to your Squad screen. Select all the Attributes you wan to download by creating a Custom screen.

Once you are happy, click the "FM" button (top right of screen) and select "Print Screen".

You will then have 3 options presented - select Save as Text File and then choose what location on your PC to save it in. This will save all of the attributes you just selected as a "Text" file which you can then open in Excel.

Note - when you open the file in Excel you will need to manipulate the data a bit so that Excel can actually read the file.

Don't know if Jambo does it the same way, but that's how I did it :).

yup that is the method, and manipulating it is easy - on the import box, make sure you select "delimiter" as "other" and insert " | " as the character. That will ensure it imports perfectly :)

After that, the conditional formating etc is just basic excel, as herne should in the early post :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jambo

I absolutely adore your thread on your Athletic save.

I have been making notes for the past 3 hours so I can start to implement this in my own save.

I have so many questions about how you can use Excel to monitor it etc but I'm not all that good with excel so I was going to ask is it possible that you could send me your spreadsheet to use myself?

If not, how do you think I could set up customised views to give me what I want? Would you mind possibly giving me a few ideas about the titles of varying custom views I could use?

Finally, in terms of youth development if a player has reached 18/19 and still hasn't got all he needs would you then sell him?

In your depth chart you have enough room for say 22/23 players or so, can I assume you would then have an extra depth chart for youth?

How often would you say you buy 1st team players / youth players?

I'm going in on day 1 to a Leeds Utd job I just got and want to get these basics right first.

Incredible work, thanks so much for sharing this, it really plays to my analytical side

Thanks

Lee

Archived