FM15: Aston Villa F.C. - Building around Benteke!

Spike

Ok, So only a couple of pre-season games in and i've finished my transfer activity.

Bent is the only player sold, with N'zogbia not attracting any buyers. Herd, Johnson and Siegrist all released to free up some wages.

Incoming is Coquelin for £1.5m from Arsenal, Ali for £2.6m from MK Dons (Not up front) and Mowatt for £4.2m from Leeds (Not up front).

Both Ali and Mowatt have been loaned back for a season.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, So only a couple of pre-season games in and i've finished my transfer activity.

Bent is the only player sold, with N'zogbia not attracting any buyers. Herd, Johnson and Siegrist all released to free up some wages.

Incoming is Coquelin for £1.5m from Arsenal, Ali for £2.6m from MK Dons (Not up front) and Mowatt for £4.2m from Leeds (Not up front).

Both Ali and Mowatt have been loaned back for a season.

Tough going mate. Were you not tempted to keep Mowatt and Alli once the transfers were decided? Alli has been so consistent for me in his first season. Pretty much always bags a 7+, and is one of the first names on the team sheet.

It's January now and I am looking at moving 1 or 2 around. There are about 4 players who rarely feature for the first team, so I'm hoping to raise a bit of cash considering there has been no takeover yet.

I was tempted mate, but I felt they would be guaranteed more game time back in the lower leagues.

I feel Delph, Westwood, Coquelin, Westwood, Sanchez, Bacuna will be enough in midfield for me for this season, with the ones who don't perform this season making way for the 2 kids to come through next year.

Hey guys. It's great to see all the action in this thread. Was away for a few days but just got back & caught up on everything. Some great progress in peoples' games and am really enjoying reading all about it! It's also interesting how we're taking different approaches to managing Villa on the game.

Anyhow, it's been a while since I updated on my game. We're now at the end of November of my second season at Villa. Got offered the job at Newcastle & Southampton recently, of course turned both down.

Although I had written about it all earlier, but here's how we got on in the transfer market.

5bc8aafc4cf67f891788bf09dc49c368.png

More transfers out...

e6efa3d13f5722cfa4c3a6a981922ff3.png

Results so far

02ededda1f8a0f8f05f1c2e68a1b06d5.png

Which leaves us currently 6th in the league

0d6670dadf6ea17aa16f6cb6086ac0a8.png

And topping our Europa group

4adc89d1aad8683e6299acbf263d7e8f.png

Player performances so far

56de69c66ff5f208d9bb3cc4a83cb420.png

Quick review from my side -

Firstly we've had a ton of injuries, and I am finally seeing what everyone has been talking about. I haven't been able to play the same lineup or my strongest lineup a single game all season.

The likes of Vlaar, Morrison & Agbonlahor have struggled badly due to injuries, not being able to get much game-time & build up to any decent level of performance. Of the ones playing regularly, Guzan has been poor making a few costly mistakes, and Sanchez scored an own goal then got sent off the next game recently, after which I fined him and he promptly threw a fit & moaned to a bunch of other players. So have had a few of these issues to try & sort out which have affected morale.

On the plus side, we just beat West Ham 6-0 which was a great tonic. We're doing well in Europe and through to the quarters of the League Cup where we will face Man Utd at home. The performances of Grealish, Alli & Cresswell have been fantastic, while the likes of Gudelj, Stones & Mitrovic have made solid starts to their Villa careers.

Our next few games are all winnable on paper so I am hoping we can finally build up some consistency. Will be back with an update probably after the busy festive period.

Good luck to everyone and apologies for the extremely long post!

Hi, guys.

Short update from me.

Finished season 1 in 11th after we found some consitency in the last part of the season.

So in the summer I made a few changes to the squad and brought in some exciting youngsters. Total of nine players came in, and a lot of players left as well.

Managed to keep benteke too.

Was quite exiced to start season 2, but it turned out to be a disaster!

Won the first game in mid october and come mid november we were 17th with still the one victory and major unrest in the squad where the players had no faith in my managing skills.

Lost total motivation and have now started a new game. Giving Villa another go, but will re-think my approach and tactics.

Nice update Karanhsingh :thup:

Welcome to the restart club Liamboye!

So August is over and here is how we fared:

West Ham 0-1 Aston Villa - Agbonlahor. Brilliant defensive display and effective on the counter, awesome start to the season.

Aston Villa 1-2 Man Utd - Weimann. Another awesome performance, just undone by the clinical-ness of Utd. Proud in defeat.

Aston Villa 1-2 Peterbrough - Burke. I made 9 changes to give the fringe players a chance to stake an early claim but they failed miserably.

Aston Villa 2-2 Burnley - Sanchez, N'Zogbia. A 90th minute equaliser from Ings prevented it from being a great August and turned it in to a frustrating one. However, 4 Points from these 3 games is probably what I would have aimed for so not too bad.

Hopefully I can keep this up.

Palace just offered £4.5m for Baker upfront, I accepted, now looking for a cheap replacement as back up to the other CB's.

Typically, baker didn't accept the contract until 2 hours before the deadline, leaving me with no time to find a replacement.

Started a new Aston Villa save as promised.

Quiet first transfer window broken up by the compulsory purchase of D.Alli, and I let N'Zogbia and Bent go as most of you. In addition to this I managed to sign a promising DM called N.Stark who will give my DM some much needed steel. He's got excellent work rate, aggression, marking and tackling and at only 19 years, I think he is a class signing.

NiklasStark_OverviewAttributes_zps515f1397.png

I decided to take a totally different approach to tactics as my prefered patient possesion tactic was a disaster in my last save.

I now use a direct 4-2-3-1 who works well at the start of the season.

7 matches played in the premier league and we currently sit 3rd. Lost the opening match 5-0 to Man City, but we are unbeaten since. Also still in the League Cup.

Schedule_SeniorFixtures_zps1dcf38d5.png

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewProfile-2_zps7a290363.png

Hope I can continue this good trend :)

Interesting to see peoples different approach to tactics.

I turn transfer budgets off first window and couldn't ship anyone out in Jan so my squad is the same but I'm sitting comfortably in sixth after crafting the tightest defence I've ever mustered.

Didn't concede for six games in a row at one point. However I've struggled to score which means I've already drawn 9 or so - a problem that won't be helped by Gabby breaking his leg and a goal shy Benteke. I have a plan to adjust next year ( mainly buying Alli for an extra dimension in midfield) but if I can hold on to sixth it would be a huge step forward.

Been away from my save for a few days now. I will post an update later on, but for now I need advice.

Spurs have just offered 17.5 mill for Okore! 10 mill up front, 4.5mill over 12 months, and 3 mill after 10 internationals. Yes i know it's a pretty good deal, but with only a week to go before the Jan transfer windown shuts......That and I only get 10% of transfer revenue to be means I won't be able get a suitable replacement.

What would you guys do?

111k mate. We had about 4mill of debt so I wiped that out by selling Gabby to Newcastle. I have since told Okore he can wait until the end of the season. I am already down to bare bones with injuries etc.

Just managed to get Can on loan for the rest of the season from Liverpool. We are on an 8 game unbeaten run in the league. Drawn 5 and won 3. 2 of them wins were Chelsea(H) and Everton(A).

I am getting to the point where I am not enjoying this game already. I have noticed the following major issues.

1) Injuries - despite what the moderators say in the bugs forums, the injuries are way too frequent (particularly in the first season). I haven't had it quite as bad as heartandgroin but it did get pretty bad. Went through a run of 6 or 7 games where I had a minimum of injuries every game.

2) Defending - no matter how good your defenders are some of the defending is absolutely unbelievable. In the first season I had half a dozen occasions where the GK & CD both left the ball to each other, even when an opposition player was closing in on the ball they stood there & watched resulting in an open goal.

3) Match stats - In probably 85% of the games I have played so far I have had more shots than the opposition, in a lot of cases double or even treble. Yet no matter how good my strikers are and no matter how bad the opposition strikers are their goals to shots ratio is much higher. On average I would say our ratio is probably 10% while the opposition ration is more like 50-60%.

4) Late goals - Throughout the course of the first season (and so far in the second season) we have been outscored in the last 5 minutes of matches by a considerable amount. Doesn't matter how poor the opposition (happened twice against League 1 opposition) or how much better condition my players are in compared to the opposition.

These issues are completely detracting from the enjoyment of the game.

It sounds to me like you might need to turn your mentality down a bit if your finding your having so many more shots and getting done on the counter?

111k mate. We had about 4mill of debt so I wiped that out by selling Gabby to Newcastle. I have since told Okore he can wait until the end of the season. I am already down to bare bones with injuries etc.

Just managed to get Can on loan for the rest of the season from Liverpool. We are on an 8 game unbeaten run in the league. Drawn 5 and won 3. 2 of them wins were Chelsea(H) and Everton(A).

Nice loan signing in Can and a good run of results :thup:

Been away from my save for a few days now. I will post an update later on, but for now I need advice.

Spurs have just offered 17.5 mill for Okore! 10 mill up front, 4.5mill over 12 months, and 3 mill after 10 internationals. Yes i know it's a pretty good deal, but with only a week to go before the Jan transfer windown shuts......That and I only get 10% of transfer revenue to be means I won't be able get a suitable replacement.

What would you guys do?

Difficult one as he will probably be unhappy if you refuse. Still think I personally would try to keep him as he is a quality young CB. Really impressed by your good form. Well done, and good luck in solving the okore situation!

So the season's over. I finished seventh which given the late run of disastrous form I'm delighted with. Chelsea won champions league and Utd both domestic cups so I'm hoping for European qualification which would be great.

Board have given me 8m to spend and I've already gone out and bought Delle Alli. Just wondered how people find is best to use him?

I play 41221 defensive with both Amr/l and Fb l/r set to attack. It worked great for 75% of season then the AI cottoned on so thinking of switching to maybe Amr support and Alli as CM (a)?

Also does anyone have any experience of Micah Richards? It goes against my policy of cheap and cheerful but on a free and for 35k a week I must say I'm tempted...

Cheers Guys...

I am now into Feb and the business end of the season. We are 7th with 35pts from 24 games - Won 9, Drawn 8 and lost 7. We are 9 games unbeaten in the league, but drawing too many for my liking! Still we are picking up points and that' whats important.

Emre Can came in just at the right time. Sanchez is out for 2 months so he is filling in as my BWM in the DMC position. Dockal is also out for 2 months, which is frustrating! I would say him (along with GRealish), are my main attacking threat. Benteke has only managed 3 goals and I just can't seem to get him firing. Strandberg has been awful since bursting onto the scene. But he is young, and is doing ok.

QPR (A) next = Really hoping for a good performance and 3 points. We are 8 points off Spurs in 5th, and I have them in my sights.

Cheers Guys...

I am now into Feb and the business end of the season. We are 7th with 35pts from 24 games - Won 9, Drawn 8 and lost 7. We are 9 games unbeaten in the league, but drawing too many for my liking! Still we are picking up points and that' whats important.

Emre Can came in just at the right time. Sanchez is out for 2 months so he is filling in as my BWM in the DMC position. Dockal is also out for 2 months, which is frustrating! I would say him (along with GRealish), are my main attacking threat. Benteke has only managed 3 goals and I just can't seem to get him firing. Strandberg has been awful since bursting onto the scene. But he is young, and is doing ok.

QPR (A) next = Really hoping for a good performance and 3 points. We are 8 points off Spurs in 5th, and I have them in my sights.

I'm in a similar position, sitting 9th with 38 points from 24 games (only 3 points off 6th with a game in hand). Also just beat Liverpool with my second string in the FA Cup 4th round replay.

Nicely set up Spike for a decent finish I reckon. You had better not win the FA Cup and be the first to lift a trophy lol.

We have 8 games to go, sitting 7th on 46 points. Top 5 have pulled away slightly and it looks like its between us, Liverpool, Stoke and Swansea for 6th,7th,8th &9th spot! I have only lost once in the last 15 league games. 6 of them have been wins, but I have been doing a fair amount of tweeking with my tactic. Not conceded a goal in 3 games (palace, Man U away and Leicester), and won 2 of them. Alli is a beast in the middle of the park, and Grealish has 9 goals to his name (3 more than Benteke).

Paul Lambert has just taken the West Ham job in my save lol. Unlucky Hammers fans HaHa

Been a while since I last loaded up my game due to various reasons.

I am about to kick start my second season against Man City..

I take a look at my fixture list and my first Premiership games look like this:

Man City (A)

Everton (H)

Liverpool (A)

Tottenham (H)

Arsenal (A)

If i manage three points here i will be pleased :|

Man City (A)

Everton (H)

Liverpool (A)

Tottenham (H)

Arsenal (A)

Have faith ;)

Man City (A)

Everton (H)

Liverpool (A)

Tottenham (H)

Arsenal (A)

Let us know how you get on mate.

Tough call! They have got you that far. I reckon you should give all the Under 18's a chance to showcase their skills :p

I drew 1-1 at home to Arsenal. Pleased with that, although we were the better team! Benteke is doing my head in though! I just can't get him scoring, or even looking like he is a a threat.

How many formations do people use? I used just one last season that worked until the final 12 games - Seems to be ok at the moment but i feel i need a plan b and possibly c.

I play a 4-3-3 but not sure what other formations I should try?

4-3-3 is what I have been using, find it a very good balance between defense & attack. Back 4 with DM, a CMs and CMa (advanced playmaker), Inside Forwards at AML / AMR and Complete Striker up top.

Also I think attacking wing-backs are really important on this game, so then you definitely need the support of an anchorman in midfield.

I'm in a similar position, sitting 9th with 38 points from 24 games (only 3 points off 6th with a game in hand). Also just beat Liverpool with my second string in the FA Cup 4th round replay.

Good going mate :thup: Did you get in Hazard on loan or permanent btw?

Good going mate :thup: Did you get in Hazard on loan or permanent btw?

On loan at present, but his contract is up at the end of the season. Playing him in every game in the hope that if his contract expires he will want to come to the Villa.

So far he has been brilliant - P9(1), G3, A4, PoM2, 7.54 rating

Since we're at the end of January 2016, it's time for another update (also I am about to go on a horrendous run of fixtures!)

Here are the results since I last updated

8a88b89e2a06beca1ea32fbca66356c4.png

Which leaves us 3rd in the league, but with some tough fixtures to come so not expecting to stay there really. Next up is City away, Chelsea home, Everton away, Arsenal home.

11f58eb8f3b58f18ea117d9c57180b57.png

My team's player performances so far -

02c40a83f32b00249c61f479f123314a.png

3a4d7e7d3d85bd32d7c62ce8e4cbe31b.png

Alli, Grealish and Stones have been phenomenal and are also top 3 in the entire league for average rating so far.

In terms of signings the Jan window was pretty quiet, we just brought in Aaron Lennon & Nick Powell on loan. I was actually going through an injury crisis in Nov- December, with Cresswell, Mitrovic, Gudelj, Agbonlahor, Morrison, Grealish, Vlaar, Tripper all out for varying periods of time. This prompted the loan signings & I have also kept Robinson when he came back from loan. Thankfully the injuries have eased up though, and good fixtures while I had my key players out meant that we were able to keep up our form through the phase.

In the Europa League we will be facing FC Kobenhavn in the next round, and if we qualify either Feyenoord or Slovan Liberec

In the League Cup final, we are up against the mighty Chelsea. If you recall, we made it to the final last year too and then got schooled by Man United. So hopefully, this time will be different.

Back with another update in a couple of days then!

Archived