FM15 - The Vanarama Conference, North & South thread

CityAndColour

Awesome stuff Graham - the thing I love about L2 is it only takes a good run to go from relegation battlers to playoff contenders, and you've obviously gone one step further. Also looks like you took full advantage of a very even season, meaning the top sides had lower points totals.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CityAndColour - Leamington FC - Conference - 2017/18

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

League: 13th

FA Cup: 1st round replay (lost to Accrington)

FA Trophy: 4th round replay (lost to Braintree on penalties)

Top scorer: Ross Lafayette (17)

Most assists: Ross Lafayette (11)

Highest average rating: Danny Waldren (7.12)

Fans' player of the season: Danny Waldren

---

A disappointing season in all honesty, dropping three places on last year and producing our lowest points total yet, however we were never in any danger of relegation so I guess it can't be considered too much of a failure. We started well and hung around the playoff spots early on, but really strugged against the bigger clubs in the division and gradually fell away. Consistency was also an issue - we had two separate losing streaks of four matches, and several unbeaten runs too.

The FA Trophy was a sore point as well - going into stoppage time against Braintree in a 4th round replay we led, they switched to overload, punted a ball forward and scored with the last kick of the game. Once it went to penalties, there was only ever going to be one winner, given we had dominated the match itself. A semi final with Gateshead and a potential final against Hereford were thus squandered.

We were led by box to box midfielder Danny Waldren, who netted 16 times and was a perfect 8/8 from the spot. He was a runaway and richly deserved winner of the fans' player of the season award, ahead of Jamie Tank, who again led the league in interceptions and key headers. Ross LaLafayette barely touched the ball before Christmas, but from January onward scored with regularity, his 17 strikes complemented by another 11 assists, both team highs.

---

2014/15 - Leamington - Conference North - 1st (promoted as champions)

2015/16 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

2016/17 - Leamington - Conference - 9th

2017/18 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

Awesome stuff Graham - the thing I love about L2 is it only takes a good run to go from relegation battlers to playoff contenders, and you've obviously gone one step further. Also looks like you took full advantage of a very even season, meaning the top sides had lower points totals.

Yeah it was a unusual season with no one taking it by storm and teams losing against lower position teams.. we just put the best run out off the top 10 and managed to win the league

Good luck in your season city

Tidy little players there city.. The past 3 season's there hasn't been any good youth players being released for my club to sign them but hopefully i find a gem this season

Ok so a quick update on life in league 1

so after looking around at lesser football nations i managed to get this guy on trial to scout him and straight away i had to sign him up

fn6x7b.png

Hope he finds his scoring boots and never looks back

Tidy little players there city.. The past 3 season's there hasn't been any good youth players being released for my club to sign them but hopefully i find a gem this season

After a few seasons, I find the trick is to actually look at the players released from the senior team, not the youth team at clubs, as the better newgens have usually progressed.

Started my game with home town club Chelmsford City and spent 3 reasonably successful years flirting with the playoffs before dropping away 2nd half of the year and ultimately finishing 19,18,19. I got frustrated with the board after that for not supporting my philosophies of developing young talent via the academy, despite me managing to get a handful of players embedded into the starting XI and ultimately we parted ways.

At City I used 4-2DM-3-1 with James Ward Right Wing and Luke Challinor in the hole. They combined well with academy striker Sam Gregory from the off and the addition of Scott Schulton at the end of the 14/15 season gave me a very good attacking quartet. Unfortunately the issue with City was defensively and I never quite got the balance right.

I took over at Macclesfield in the Conference North (2017/18) and managed to sneak into the playoffs and gain promotion in my first season :) Jack Muldoon bagged an impressive 38 goals (club record) and again i've set about bringing young players into the team with a degree of success. Currently sitting 8th in the Conference and beat Tranmere in the FA Cup 1st round before going out to Portsmouth in a replay and the board seem very happy.

This season i've turned down approaches from Cambridge (VC) Port Vale and AFC Wimbledon (L2) but I fear it may be another short term post. Having rejected these offers the board continue to refuse my requests to study for additional coaching qualifications (i've made them enough from the cup run to cover this, surely) and when trying to negotiate an extension to my contract which ends in the summer I have unsuccessfully pushed for a 2 year contract.

With around 18 games to go I am hoping to cement my place in the top 10 and maybe have a late run at the playoffs before re-assessing in the summer.

Star players are

GK Rhys Taylor

LB Fabian Sandy (released by Fulham)

CM Kelvin Douglas

ST Jack Muldoon

I've also managed to get some exciting young wingers after they were released by league clubs and the future looks bright for Macclesfield.

Got promoted to the Championship!

After holding a 10 point lead halfway through the season it showed that half my squad wasn't good enough for league 1. Managed to keep our drop in the standings limited to second and now I really need to sign some quality players or I'm done for :p

Here are the standings

7D3BB23BA77248D659837C3956742DB484A3AA21

ubeep - great write up, and good progress being made with Macclesfield. They are a tough challenge as you always seem to be up against it financially.

yipster - well done on promotion, bet that hard drive failure seems an eternity away now.

ubeep - great write up, and good progress being made with Macclesfield. They are a tough challenge as you always seem to be up against it financially.

yipster - well done on promotion, bet that hard drive failure seems an eternity away now.

You're not wrong. I've never been able to spend money on players and usually have to battle to quash any sign on or agent fees. This means young players are by and large the ONLY option and even then I miss out on some excellent free agents because the agent wants paying :(

It's also caused me issues with my staffing and I've not had a dedicated goalkeeping coach during my tenure at Macclesfield. That should hopefully change next season (assuming they keep me on) when existing staff contracts expire and i can replace them

Still, that is why we love the lower league challenge, right :)

. What are the best formations to keep it tight-ish at the back but allowing me to play 2 up front?

If you have players that are DM's I had some joy at Chelmsford City early on playing a 4-4-2 with the 2 cm's deeper (not sure how the game lists it) Or the 4-2DM-3-1 formation works and you can retrain one of your ST's so they are more comfortable in the hole. Again, used this at Chelmsford City and had a natural for that role from the start in Luke Challinor. His favoured role is ST but adept as an AMC. Bagged plenty of goals for me

The first game of the season I've beaten Watford with 0-5. This happens every season, I get off on a great start but somewhere about 6 to 7 games in it all starts falling apart. Do you believe switching strategies on a regular basis will help counter this?

I'm currently playing i the football league but at some point this year I will be starting in the conference north so I have a question if anyone would like to help i'd appreciate it. To get all the lower league players and free agents what would I have to include in the DB at the start? All players based in the UK? Or something else?

You can load players from pretty much all regional leagues if you choose to, just by manually adding all the players from specific leagues (such as regional premier divisions). Using a large DB with all players from England loaded would be a good start.

You can load players from pretty much all regional leagues if you choose to, just by manually adding all the players from specific leagues (such as regional premier divisions). Using a large DB with all players from England loaded would be a good start.

Thanks C&C. Will re-visit that post when I set my game up. Graham if for whatever reason you want to know what your new striker (Begue) looks like so you can picture him in game here he is :

f3eefb0389e51ccd1be64fe747205484.png

Just wondered. Since the turn of the year my form has plummeted (8 games without a win) This isnt the first time its happened and I wondered if others had seen this. I am concerned it often coincides with my contract running down or being linked with other jobs, is that coincidence?

Just wondered. Since the turn of the year my form has plummeted (8 games without a win) This isnt the first time its happened and I wondered if others had seen this. I am concerned it often coincides with my contract running down or being linked with other jobs, is that coincidence?

I've noticed something similar.

I believe it is because of your teams reputation. As you have a good first half of the season your teams reputation increases, they will be less likely to adopt a more attacking style of play against you. From what I've read around here on the forums is that you should be a tad more conservative with your tactic as the opposition will limit the amount of space you can play in.

Anyway, finally managed to attract a player of real quality to join the Leamington revolution...

nHGn3U3.jpg

Released by Arsenal's academy, and took some convincing, but he has the potential to be a leading League One winger. Also has the PPM "knocks ball past opponent" which should be handy with his pace and acceleration.

Unfortunately he does have the doomsday double "doesn't enjoy big matches/may be prone to injuries" but at this level he is still too talented not to sign.

Second season and he has activated beast mode. 19 goals in 26 starts from the right wing, with an average rating of 7.58. He is phenomenal.

Thanks C&C. Will re-visit that post when I set my game up. Graham if for whatever reason you want to know what your new striker (Begue) looks like so you can picture him in game here he is :

f3eefb0389e51ccd1be64fe747205484.png

well i certainly didnt think he would look like that.. cheers for the pic

Season 5 (18/19) Macclesfield Update

My 2nd season with Macclesfield and my 1st at Conference level was a huge success. Finishing 11th on 69 points is only the start of the story really.

A good first half of the season had me sitting in 7th at Christmas and an unlikely playoff push was very much in the back of mind before a disappointing run of 10 games without a win from the turn of the year appeared to kill that possibility and make me look over my shoulder at the bottom 4. Fortunately though we turned it round and from 19th Jan to 20th April went on a run that saw us drop just 7 points from a possible 33 and meant with 2 games to go we sat in 7th again, just 3 points off the final playoff spot.

Unfortunately it wasn't to be as a 3-1 defeat at Champions elect Wrexham ended the dream and another defeat on the final day of the season saw us drop back to 11th.

In the FA Cup, after beating Droylsden comfortably in qualifying we were drawn at home to L1 Tranmere in Round 1 and my bad cup record looked set to continue but the boys upset the odds with a 1-0 win and earn a 2nd round tie, again at home, to Pompey. We came from behind to earn the replay before eventually going out with a stoppage time winner at Fratton Park.

The FA Trophy saw me drawn away to bogey team Bradford PA in round 1 (lost 3 of 3 in my 2 seasons at Macclesfield) but again the lads dug in and won a 7 goal thriller by the odd goal and were rewarded with another away tie against high flying Aldershot. The tie was scheduled 2 days after the 2nd round FA Cup tie with Pompey so my selection was affected and we went out 1-0

Along the way i've turned down a fair few interviews with league clubs in both England and Scotland and early contract talks with Macclesfield broke down as I wanted a 2 year extension and they refused to give me more than a year. As the season ended L1 Scunthorpe offered me an interview, an opportunity I felt was too good to refuse so I met them but ultimately missed out to Russell Slade.

I've now re-signed with the Shrimpers (for 1 season) and am now looking to build on last year and mount a challenge for the playoffs at the very least.

Hi there all. I just wanted to know if any of you have had any experience with this; and if so, how to procede. I'm playing as Leamington (most local side), and loving it up until now. In order to not waste space I won't copy everything out here, rather just post the link:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/418003-Top-quality-players-signing-for-Conference-team-on-non-contract

Many thanks.

Gateshead season 2 - League 2 champions.

A rather inconsistent season but we had a good push of 6 wins in a row towards the end after a slight tactic change which secured a close championship.

(Gateshead - 90, Oxford - 86, Plymouth - 84, Southend Playoff promotion)

Our star signing was Romain Thibault who is a French target man who tallied 30 goals this season. Jack Dunn managed 17 from the right wing and Jonathyn Quinn got 14 as a rotation striker.

It was a little bit more tricky than last season, where as favourites we didn't really have to change much tactically as our way usually worked, however this year I found myself swapping between 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 quite a lot. I notice a lot of L2 teams seem to have 5 at the back which I'm not really used to but this was when I tried to get 2 up top usually.

I have used the transfer window to rebuild as I think we will be ok in League 1 but I am looking at the kind of players other teams are signing and we are not quite on par just yet.

7 freebies so far:

Chris Lester (from Bolton, winger)

Lloyd Jones (Centre half from Liverpool)

Jack Price (DM from Wolves)

Adam Reach (Winger from 'boro)

Mark Randall (released by MK Dons another CM)

Byron Webster (Centre back released by Millwall)

Shay Facey (Another centre back released by Bury for backup)

I'm already starting to release players I signed, I'm glad I only went for 2 year contracts at the start but I hope dont upset the squad.

Matty Pattison, released, he was the highest earner when I took over the post in the conference but never really figured in my plans.

Jamie Chandler, another original, sent him out on loan last season to try and put him in the shop window but he just got released.

Cameron Park, one of my signings, a handy winger but I overpaid to get him to join and now we have surpassed his ability I think. I did have to consider if he had another season in him but I dont think so.

David Barron, a backup player who never really made an impact

Tom Allan, barely played last season so I owe it to him to move him on

Michael Richardson, similarly to Park, I debated taking him to League one but I have brought in some tough tackling midfielders of higher quality so I dont think he will get to play much

I was hoping to get Adam Campbell in as a pacey north east lad but he wants £7k p/w even after Newcastle dropped him. I've just noticed on the contract screen it says he doesn't like me!!

One interesting point to make is our balance is sitting pretty at £750k even after bringing in all the players. We went out the cups in the first round, but did get to the 4th round replay with Leicester in the FA cup.

I think it might be because I was £10k under wage budget last season - I'm not going to spend it for the sake of it and have excess players who are unhappy so I think that's fine.

Anyway, I will give League 1 a proper crack tomorrow!

Hi there all. I just wanted to know if any of you have had any experience with this; and if so, how to procede. I'm playing as Leamington (most local side), and loving it up until now. In order to not waste space I won't copy everything out here, rather just post the link:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/418003-Top-quality-players-signing-for-Conference-team-on-non-contract

Many thanks.

I have no idea how you managed to attract the likes of Bikey, Chris Herd and Drenthe and Samaras after only two seasons! I was also promoted first season and have spent the next three seasons to date in the Conference, yet still struggle to attract anyone close to that sort of quality.

Quick Macclesfield update. The same players, in the same system, with the same tactics look anything but the promotion contenders they threatened to be last term. We cant keep goals out at one end and despite never struggling before now, cant seem to create anything ourselves. I am putting this down to the age of the squad. My keeper forced me to sell him (27) and I've also offloaded a midfielder who wasn't playing (25) as my wages were getting high. This leaves my club captain at 29, main striker (wants out) at 30 and Charlie Sheringham at 31 as the only players in my squad over 25.

I also have 30 players on youth contracts which is crazy but cant cancel them because if compensation. How do I manage this better in future seasons?

Edit: And now seemingly blame me for everything. If I survive the season it will be a miracle. I cannot believe how quickly its turned round and without really changing anything. I'm totally at a loss :(

I have no idea how you managed to attract the likes of Bikey, Chris Herd and Drenthe and Samaras after only two seasons! I was also promoted first season and have spent the next three seasons to date in the Conference, yet still struggle to attract anyone close to that sort of quality.

Cheers for the reply CityAndColour. Yep, that is usually my experience too! And I think I would rather have it that way.

I'm wondering if, through some quirk, my managing to secure Scott Parker on a trial has mislead the AI into thinking my team/reputation is stronger than it is, meaning the likes of Drenthe and Samaras will consider Leamington as an option. The fact that they sign on 1% of the wages they must have made earlier in their careers is still a mystery though.

Edit: Out of interest, what's your experience been with trialing players? Any players refusing to sign for you, but agreeing to join on trial and from there becoming much more willing to sign?

One of my biggest peeves with both FM14 and 15 is that players will often come on trial but have no intention to sign.

Yes! This ^^^!

I have been reading through this thread today to make myself feel better about my grind through the Conference, I seem to spend my whole time despairing about how rubbish the players I take on trial are, or how annoying it is that anyone good who comes on trial has no intention of signing!

I'm assuming my low rep is to blame, I'm Margate after taking over in 2015/16 as part of the dafuge challenge. Got a couple of decent players but man oh man it's a struggle to remind myself I'm actually doing ok. I was predicted to finish 19th in my first season after promotion and finished 16th - second season i was predicted to finish 21st! Thanks a lot!

Curiously, I have loads of money in the bank (£350k+) and a chairman who keeps putting money in 'to aid the financial situation' but I haven't been in the red for ages...mostly because he keeps putting money in. I even got the message about one of my players who could be "one of the first to leave if the present financial situation gets any worse" but i've got plenty of money in the bank!?!

My predicted balance at the end of the season is quite far in the red though so maybe that's what is contributing to it!?

CityAndColour - Leamington FC - Conference - 2018/19

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

League: 9th

FA Cup: 1st round (lost at Leyton Orient)

FA Trophy: 4th round (lost to Gateshead)

Top scorer: Kenny Clarke (24)

Most assists: Tim Tantram (18)

Highest average rating: Kenny Clarke (7.39)

Fans' player of the season: Kenny Clarke

---

Another mid-table finish, but one that represented progress. We stayed around the playoffs for most of the season, and at the end of March we held a 4-1 lead against Basingstoke, which had us 4th on the live league table. Cue a second half collapse, dropping us to 7th, and we didn't win again until a 6-3 home finale against relegated Dulwich Hamlet. Only champions Dag & Red lost less than our nine games however, but 20 draws showed an inability to finish off teams, and the most common time we conceded goals was after 75 minutes.

Player wise, we're building around three promising teenagers. Kenny Clark was electric on the right wing, netting 24 times (with 12 assists and 11 MotM awards) to take out the league player of the season award. Unfortunately he is going into the last year of his deal and doesn't look like signing a new one, which I can't blame him for. Tim Tantram got better as the season progressed, and finished with an impressive 23 goals and 18 assists as a lone false nine, and Pete Wilson slotted into the playmaker role effortlessly, netting seven times and creating a further 15 goals from central midfield.

A fourth name may be yet added to this list, as youth product Bill Diskin recovered from a torn hamstring to make the left back slot his own, and at 17 can only get better.

---

We will, somewhat sadly, say goodbye to a couple of fantastic servants as well. Captain Ty Smith is out of contract after 257 appearances and probably won't be offered new terms, and Danny Newton will also depart after not being able to force his way into the current attack - he signs off in style however, getting the champagne in the final league game of the season.

---

2014/15 - Leamington - Conference North - 1st (promoted as champions)

2015/16 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

2016/17 - Leamington - Conference - 9th

2017/18 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

2018/19 - Leamington - Conference - 9th

Macclesfield update. Having weathered the storm from the players and come out the other side I got an approach from Hartlepool and have now moved on again so I will be frequenting a different thread for a while. No doubt i'll be back when it all goes wrong and I get the sack for spending money on the wrong players. That's right. I actually have money to spend :)

Can't believe you want to let Smith go C&C. He should stay!

Yeah I'm regretting it a little bit now, as I am usually the type who keeps players who are not good enough for sentimental reasons, especially as my teams go up the leagues. However I'm realising that I need to be ruthless to get out of my current league, especially as a small part time club.

Started up a save with Solihull Moors last night in the Vanarama North. Only had chance to play 1 friendly.

Only got FM15 yesterday, first time playing FM since FM2013! Going to take me a while to get back into it! Already managed to knark one of my better players, Rob Elvins, by changing the captaincy :rolleyes:

Started up a save with Kidderminster and have finished season 1: finishing 4th and going up through the playoffs.

Season Review: Started really well with 26 points from 10 games , then i slumped into a run of poor form and found myself down in 13th after 26 but then throughout the next 20 games, I managed to fight back up and pushed for the playoffs, and then won the playoffs with a semi final win on penalties , and a final win in extra time. Really pleased as I only harboured top half ambitions.

Season 1 Transfers In: Javlon Campbell (Free), Gareth Evans (Fleetwood, Free),Henoc Mukendi (Free), Ibrahim Atiku (Free), Chris Cummings-Bart (Free), Jack Barthram(Swindon, Loan), Jonathan Smith (Luton, Loan) Michael Hoganson (Free) Sebastiao ( Free)

Out: Verma , Blisset, Riis (Free)

I thought and still think that league 2 will be one hell of a challenge for this team although i have upgraded my squad level. I was given a 13k p/w larger wage budget of 27 k and after a few transfers i asked for this to be increased and with a surprise they did increase it to 40k p/w , i dont think i will use all of this though.

My transfers out: are 12 senior players for combined total of 20k, and 11 junior players.

IN:

12 players for 92k:

Barthram - rb - Swindon - Free (good season on loan and wanted some consistency)

Theo Wharton- cm - Cardiff - Free ( had a good season in conference for Barnet (Playoffs) last season)

Andy Dorman - cm - Free (player/coach - solid experienced cm)

Tuda Murphy - gk - Free (Player/coach - backup keeper)

Bradley Orr - RB - Free ( Versatile and solid experience)

Alex Davey - cb - Free (Young cb , looks good enough)

Hallam Hope - STR - Free ( Young str , good enough)

Tom Eaves - Str- Bolton - 80k (Young str good enough)

Jon Ashton -CB-FREE (Experienced cb)

Jon Daly - STR - Free (Good experienced str)

Wes Brown - cb - Free (Solid experienced cb) - yes the wes brown

Bastian Hery - cm - loan - Rochdale ( Good Cm)

I am fairly confident of staying up but not much more than that.

we have started with a 1-0 win over stevenage and have just knocked stoke out the league cup on penalties.

Baggy - good work, I had a great Solihull save on Fm13. Interested to see how Omar Bogle performs for you - I think he is quite underrated in the game attributes-wise, but he always seems to do well for the AI.

angus - great stuff with a promotion first season. Kiddy are potentially very good but with their financial situation, not getting an early promotion can cause some issues.

Quick update on my season in league one.. currently sitting in 7th and only one point off the play-off so its going very good..

but our finances are suffering with the club taking out two loans to keep the club afloat and running...

So come january one of our best players wants out and his contract is out at the end of the season so i decided to cash in and sell him.. even tho he was our top goal scorer..

1235e34.png

5niurn.png

i couldnt let him go for nothing in the summer so €150k is better then nothing

So with the great form in the league we managed to put together a cup run and have managed a brilliant draw against a prem team

mjn8ys.png

just like cambridge against united last night we dug deep and shut the door and nearly scored to win it.. so a return game to white hart lane should come in handy with the finances..

And if we manage to do the unthinkable look who is next in line for the mighty FC United

28r1d9y.png

Archived