I'll send an SAS to the world

So, following on from my hugely selfish striker thread, let's see if we can maximise a strike partnership then, shall we?

To mix it up from the last few, I also think I'll go for a formation based around the strengths of my nominated team - Liverpool.

So, what can I do to get Suarez and Sturridge scoring regularly?

My first thoughts were for a 442 but, frankly, Liverpool's wingers are all arse. I'm thinking a narrow 4132 formation would best suit the abilities of the squad meaning I can get rid of Moses and Sterling. Then I realised that Liverpool only have one really good DM so a 4312 would probably be more suitable. So let's see what we have:

66gozn.jpg

Now, the first problem is immediately apparent - Liverpool just have no strength in depth across midfield. So first thing I'm going to have to do is bring in some players. I need two left footed midfielders (for width), preferably able to play the more defensive central role as well as the attacking ones.

As for playing style, I think it's time to try something a bit more adventurous.

jja1ao.jpg

I'm going to start with a balanced, fluid setup. The two CMs will be providing some width in the final third when attacking while the DLP has at least one eye on defence at all times. The fullbacks are starting off more conservatively, hopefully forcing them to make use of the midfielders rather than just bomb down the flanks and cross.

Liverpool are good on their feet, so the Run at Defence instruction should be interesting. I also want a more high tempo passing game here so let's see what happens.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I don't think it's hard to get two men scoring consistently. But I'll be interested to see how this goes for you.

With Southampton, I played a narrow 41212 with Luuk de Jong and Pablo Osvaldo up front, de Jong as a TGM/S and Osvaldo as a CF/A with the AM as an AP/A (Adam Lallana) and I managed to get very good numbers out of them...

In fact, found a screenshot of how they did for me.

9DEF2457CC3008B7B4D01F841835E285D0138D42

de Jong with 35 direct contributions (goals/assists) in 44 games; Osvaldo with 42 direct contributions in 48 games.

Not quite spectacular/out of this world statistics, clearly, but very good numbers I think.

Yes, but it's the story of how you did it that's interesting, not the results themselves :brock:

I've signed Gylfi Sigurdsson and FM superlegend Kim Kallstrom \o/ so that should ensure enough quality to cover each position in midfield.

Why start on standard mentality as Liverpool? They should be in control of most matches they play!

I think Liverpool's wide play IRL has been rather good but you've got a point about Moses / Sterling. I like going narrow.

So by going narrow like this the fullbacks have a huge responsibility. I would suggest using wingbacks over fullbacks. I would also suggest at least one of them is on attack. If the AI defends the middle well, you'll get shut out. So make sure the fullbacks/wingbacks are overlapping and getting up the pitch to stretch play.

Having 2 attack duties in the CM line is probably not a good idea here. You've got Leiva as a DLP-D which is fine but he's going to be overrun in midfield with the two 2 attack duties next to him.

Gerrard to me is a quality supporting player. Maybe AP-S? B2B? CM-S? Henderson should be encouraged to get forward, no doubt.

Countinho is okay but you've got to consider the whole of the triangle up top. Suarez is going to roam about as a CF-S, which is fine. Sturridge will be making a lot of runs and chasing balls down, which is okay. But maybe you want the AMC to be a shadow striker? Gerrard / Leiva would already be supplying the ball, no? AM-S seems okay but I think it could do better with a SS.

You've set up to exploit the middle so, if you play against a team that has a DM or 2 DM's you're in trouble aren't you. You've got to be able to stretch them out. Maybe exploit the flanks + more attack-minded wingbacks?

Yes, but it's the story of how you did it that's interesting, not the results themselves :brock:

I've signed Gylfi Sigurdsson and FM superlegend Kim Kallstrom \o/ so that should ensure enough quality to cover each position in midfield.

Indeed, hence why I'm still interested in following this thread :thup: I like how you explain what you're doing to get what you get from players, makes the thread worth reading.

Talking of your tactic, have/did you consider playing a 41212 narrow, to allow your fullbacks (which are rather offensive) to bomb forward? Allows for plenty of crosses, which I took great advantage of. Although clearly with Sturridge and Suarez you're not going to have a great aerial presence, but I think it's food for thought.

e: I echo the sentiments of the above poster. Two CM/As and two FB/S is not going to grab hold of a game. Whilst Gerrard and Henderson are getting forward, you're going to be open to counter-attacks easily.

I'd contemplate making Gerrard a DLP/S and making Lucas a CM/D, a CWB/A for Johnson at RB might be worth considering too.

Yeah I don't quite see Lucas as a DLP in any capacity defending or supporting. A simple CM-D duty would be lovely for him no? Gerrard to me is a classic playmaker at this point in his career. I wouldn't want him bombing forward much. DLP-S or AP-S is a good fit. Henderson has a lot of energy I would set him on attack.

I always try to balance my midfield as well as possible. If you've got 3 CM's + and AMC I would say (A + D + S) + ( S ) makes the most sense because of the two strikers. Things will be crowded in the middle as it is, and you may benefit from deeper playmakers. If you try to pack too much attacking force into a narrow 4312 then teams will just play narrow against you and negate the threat. Unless you can somehow drive straight through.

Why start on standard mentality as Liverpool? They should be in control of most matches they play!

I think Liverpool's wide play IRL has been rather good but you've got a point about Moses / Sterling. I like going narrow.

So by going narrow like this the fullbacks have a huge responsibility. I would suggest using wingbacks over fullbacks. I would also suggest at least one of them is on attack. If the AI defends the middle well, you'll get shut out. So make sure the fullbacks/wingbacks are overlapping and getting up the pitch to stretch play.

Having 2 attack duties in the CM line is probably not a good idea here. You've got Leiva as a DLP-D which is fine but he's going to be overrun in midfield with the two 2 attack duties next to him.

Gerrard to me is a quality supporting player. Maybe AP-S? B2B? CM-S? Henderson should be encouraged to get forward, no doubt.

Countinho is okay but you've got to consider the whole of the triangle up top. Suarez is going to roam about as a CF-S, which is fine. Sturridge will be making a lot of runs and chasing balls down, which is okay. But maybe you want the AMC to be a shadow striker? Gerrard / Leiva would already be supplying the ball, no? AM-S seems okay but I think it could do better with a SS.

You've set up to exploit the middle so, if you play against a team that has a DM or 2 DM's you're in trouble aren't you. You've got to be able to stretch them out. Maybe exploit the flanks + more attack-minded wingbacks?

I'm starting with Standard to see how they play and will adjust depending on their performances in match.

With the front two at Liverpool both being quite small, there's not much point having players bombing down the wings putting in crosses. The two attacking CMs are a risk and will probably get changed, but I need to see how they fail before deciding on what to change.

The AM(S) is there as an attacking pivot - hopefully the CM(A)s and SAS will be running in circles around him, confusing the hell out of the opponent's defence.

Yes, chances are that I'm going to struggle against two DMs, but until I come up against them we'll see how it goes. Watch them turn up in my first match now...

With the front two at Liverpool both being quite small, there's not much point having players bombing down the wings putting in crosses.

What you're forgetting (or seem to be forgetting) is that it's easy to drill crosses into your very, very dangerous strikers. With Sturridge and Suarez's attacking movement, they'd be able to outpace most defenders to a dangerous cross in from one of the flanks, looking to get a tap-in around the six yard box or farther out depending on the situation. Drill crosses from bombing fullbacks could be the greatest tool you use when you come up against a narrow side or a side that's simply crowding the centre of the pitch.

Indeed, hence why I'm still interested in following this thread :thup: I like how you explain what you're doing to get what you get from players, makes the thread worth reading.

Talking of your tactic, have/did you consider playing a 41212 narrow, to allow your fullbacks (which are rather offensive) to bomb forward? Allows for plenty of crosses, which I took great advantage of. Although clearly with Sturridge and Suarez you're not going to have a great aerial presence, but I think it's food for thought.

e: I echo the sentiments of the above poster. Two CM/As and two FB/S is not going to grab hold of a game. Whilst Gerrard and Henderson are getting forward, you're going to be open to counter-attacks easily.

I'd contemplate making Gerrard a DLP/S and making Lucas a CM/D, a CWB/A for Johnson at RB might be worth considering too.

Yeah a 41212 would be fine if I had Andy Carroll there, but with all of Liverpool's strikers being tiny, there's not that much point.

Lucas as the defensive pivot should be able to do the job fine. He can tackle when he needs to and has enough vision and passing ability to be able to start an attack when recycling possession. Kim Kallstrom as a backup to him should also be decent, though he has less defensive capabilities. Gerrard I was around the box, pulling strings up there. I'm already thinking that Kallstrom will take the left side as a support duty and Enrique will take up an attacking role instead to cover for his lack of mobility, but I'm waiting to see first.

What you're forgetting (or seem to be forgetting) is that it's easy to drill crosses into your very, very dangerous strikers. With Sturridge and Suarez's attacking movement, they'd be able to outpace most defenders to a dangerous cross in from one of the flanks, looking to get a tap-in around the six yard box or farther out depending on the situation. Drill crosses from bombing fullbacks could be the greatest tool you use when you come up against a narrow side or a side that's simply crowding the centre of the pitch.

Even then, you end up with a cross completion ratio sub 30% and that's a lot of attacking impetus you're giving away for no real benefit when there are other areas of attack to peruse that could be more rewarding.

Even then, you end up with a cross completion ratio sub 30% and that's a lot of attacking impetus you're giving away for no real benefit when there are other areas of attack to peruse that could be more rewarding.

What do you consider a standard cross completion percentage?

I'm pretty sure with my Southampton side (even with de Jong/Osvaldo up front who are very good in the air) that my average was around 25%, which I consider to be good.

In my current save with Aston Villa, we're averaging around 20% which is still pretty good I'd say. Certainly when comparing to other teams who get sub-10%.

The thing about the 2 strikers is that you automatically give up a player in midfield (in your formation). You're going to face a lot of 451 variants. So, you absolutely need to stretch the pitch and utilize width. Otherwise you'll be bangin' your head into a brick wall. If you use your current set up against Stoke City they will keep a brick wall in front of your team with their 4-5-1 V. Teams like that will stay compact and keep 3 CM's back a bit, to form a wall to protect their back 4. It's very hard to break down without any width.

So even if you think the crosses to the box aren't effective, that isn't really the point. Besides, you can instruct your players to drill crosses or hit them a lot less often. But the key is going to be how do you stretch the opposition. You will struggle if you don't stretch em'. Liverpool have decent enough fullbacks to get this done. At least to provide passing outlets for your CM's!

70% of the time is a grossly misconceived statistic.

You're not crossing every time you get the ball. You're crossing maybe 20% of the time and failing maybe 70% of the time you try to cross. I'm rubbish at maths but it does not mean you're giving the ball away 70% of the time you are in possession, anyway.

Even if you stick a huge beanpole up front and play the best crossers in the world, you're going to fail with over 50% of your crosses each game because defenders/goalkeepers have the advantage in that situation.

Ackter,

Here's how I've set up United (FMC). (CM-A is actually AP-A, my bad)

HnoZlfp.jpg

So with this formation obviously I want to dominate the middle of the park. And it WILL just based on the positions of the players, but the key is the next part which are my team instructions...

zrjBfAD.jpg

So we're going to control matches by stretching the opposition, keeping it wide, while also dominating the middle. I don't want teams to be able to pass it through us. We're gonna make sure the wingbacks overlap and link up with the more advanced players, while also waiting patiently for openings in the other team.

@bababooey - very similar to how I set-up, except I had "Pass Into Space" (felt it was vital to exploit any/all space I could find because there wasn't going to be much of it), didn't have Hassle Opponents and I didn't Exploit Flanks (or the middle). We did Play Wider, too, though.

Although, like I said above, I played 41212 instead, with a Halfback, B2B and DLP/S and an AP/A in behind the strikers (because AP/As naturally look for space more than an AP/S).

The key to playing a narrow formation - any narrow formation - is finding space and exploiting it...this is really the most important aspect of a tactic like this, if you can't find space you can't win games. Having a CF/S and AF/A like you do, Ackter, is certainly the right idea for you attacking duo because they will both be making attacking runs/dropping into space and looking to confuse defenders and exploit the space they leave in behind/in front of them.

JDownie,

Agreed 100%. I just set this up rather quickly but this is how I would like to see United play, as I plan to sell off Valencia, Young, and maybe Nani.

Finding space is so vital in these narrow tactics as you say. I think Ackter's set up is great but I am concerned about the fullbacks. If they do not provide the width needed then his team will draw 0-0 in games they should win.

I actually thought about going with a 41212 with United but we lack a real nasty DM so I figured I'd go with 3 CM's. I can bring in someone like Nainggolan to give us more balls in midfield. Honda is a great cheap option too for some creativity and overall midfield depth.

But yeah Ackter's set up is pretty good so far I'm just worried about the fullback situation and the 2 CM's on attack.

The thing about the 2 strikers is that you automatically give up a player in midfield (in your formation). You're going to face a lot of 451 variants. So, you absolutely need to stretch the pitch and utilize width. Otherwise you'll be bangin' your head into a brick wall. If you use your current set up against Stoke City they will keep a brick wall in front of your team with their 4-5-1 V. Teams like that will stay compact and keep 3 CM's back a bit, to form a wall to protect their back 4. It's very hard to break down without any width.

So even if you think the crosses to the box aren't effective, that isn't really the point. Besides, you can instruct your players to drill crosses or hit them a lot less often. But the key is going to be how do you stretch the opposition. You will struggle if you don't stretch em'. Liverpool have decent enough fullbacks to get this done. At least to provide passing outlets for your CM's!

Yup, I don't usually play with two strikers because I prefer having a multitude of options outside the opposition's box.

My aim is to stretch them in midfield and then work through them. If they sit deeper then the fullbacks will be further forward by default providing that width - but what I want them to do is find alternate ways of attacking rather than (most likely) wasting a cross into a packed box.

70% of the time is a grossly misconceived statistic.

You're not crossing every time you get the ball. You're crossing maybe 20% of the time and failing maybe 70% of the time you try to cross. I'm rubbish at maths but it does not mean you're giving the ball away 70% of the time you are in possession, anyway.

Even if you stick a huge beanpole up front and play the best crossers in the world, you're going to fail with over 50% of your crosses each game because defenders/goalkeepers have the advantage in that situation.

70% of 20% is still giving the ball away 70% of the time in those situations ;)

Just played a friendly against Leeds and my thoughts for the first half are:

1. Lucas is not effectively providing the cover required, costing us a goal.

2. When attacking, as expected, everyone pretty much stands in a straight line with no real depth or movement.

3. The AM is no effective at all and is nullified by one of their midfielders dropping deep to cover him

So, in response Lucas is now dropping back to DM (D), Kallstrom is changing to CM (S), Enrique to DL(A) and Sigurdsson is changing his position to MC while taking on the role of AP(S).

This should make the midfield more effective in both defence and attack, but will probably leave a gap from midfield to attack.

I am not surprised by your initial findings honestly.

You could set Lucas to CM-D, you dont necessarily need him to be a DM. Although if you play against a team with an AMC + ST / AMC + 2 ST / etc then it's probably a wise idea.

The CM-S is a good decision.

Enrique to DL-A is good.

And you're taking the AMC (sig) and bringing him into central midfield, why is that? Or is that just for this match because of the AI DM?

70% of 20% is still giving the ball away 70% of the time in those situations ;)

Indeed, but the way you worded it before seemed like you were suggesting you were giving the ball away 70% of the time, period. :D

Just quickly, this is personally how I would set up with Liverpool without wingers (I've nicknamed my players to reflect who I would play and where), one to reflect my personal preference (more comfortable with a DM tbh) and a second to fit in a few adjustments that I'd suggest to you, Ackter:

A1DF7C102546106DD684CA51B59BD5165EC2D9DD

A4542612198AF36E879763020E22ABC387E9AF4D

[NB: Shouts not been fully considered because I don't have full knowledge of what the players are capable of in terms of speed of defence, workrate or midfield etc]

I think with so many capable passers, there is no real need to limit your team to short passing nor direct passing, so I'd just leave it completely open to your own preference.

Johnson is basically a winger so I wouldn't consider anything but CWB/A to be completely honest.

Yeah, that's worked much better.

First goal comes from Enrique driving into the box and having a pop, striker scoring from the rebound.

Second goal comes from a beast of a long shot from Kim Kallstrom who had fallen deeper into space

Third goal is from the AP driving into the box and slotting it home.

[video=youtube;-D3MaW_rxMU]

I don't usually make changes in friendlies as you can never properly judge performances, so we'll see how it goes when it gets competitive.

So your formation is really a 4-1-3-2 right? Interesting. See now you REALLY need the fullbacks to get forward because you've got nobody in the AMCLR band. If the support striker drops deep they'll have less options to pass to. But if the CM's are getting forward properly then it should be okay.

Indeed, but the way you worded it before seemed like you were suggesting you were giving the ball away 70% of the time, period. :D

Just quickly, this is personally how I would set up with Liverpool without wingers (I've nicknamed my players to reflect who I would play and where), one to reflect my personal preference (more comfortable with a DM tbh) and a second to fit in a few adjustments that I'd suggest to you, Ackter:

<pic>

<pic>

[NB: Shouts not been fully considered because I don't have full knowledge of what the players are capable of in terms of speed of defence, workrate or midfield etc]

I think with so many capable passers, there is no real need to limit your team to short passing nor direct passing, so I'd just leave it completely open to your own preference.

Johnson is basically a winger so I wouldn't consider anything but CWB/A to be completely honest.

Johnson is also a very accomplished creative passer - I'd rather him get to a good position and pass before he thinks of crossing.

This is my current setup:

2iiilxw.jpg

I have Enrique set to cut inside to make use of the gap between Kallstrom, Sigi and Sturridge, and I have Johnson set to Pass it Shorter and attempt Fewer Risky Passes so he plays as support to Gerrard on the right.

So your formation is really a 4-1-3-2 right? Interesting. See now you REALLY need the fullbacks to get forward because you've got nobody in the AMCLR band. If the support striker drops deep they'll have less options to pass to. But if the CM's are getting forward properly then it should be okay.

Based on the last half of the match against Leeds, Enrique, Sigi and Gerrard are in that gap, with Kallstrom and Johnson slightly further back with SAS ahead of them.

At the moment I'm thinking the strikers are going to be a little too isolated, will have to judge it when coming up against proper opposition.

What is the thinking behind having Enrique cut inside? Your playing a very narrow formation as it is, why would you want a fullback/wingback to cut inside? Especially considering you've got a CM-S ahead of him who will probably occupy that space.

I think what you're going to find is that you actually want the wingbacks to stay wide and hug the touchlines. I'm beating Dortmund right now as I post this and a large part of it is that we've stretched them out wide, and denied their quick passing through the middle. You can do the same thing, and be MORE defensively solid with this set up. But I wouldn't use a FB cutting inside.

It's up to you of course. But this is just my take.

Just a thought Ackter - you have Enrique getting further forward than your opposite fullback Johnson, when Johnson is definitely better at going forward. Wouldn't it make sense to flip your midfield and defensive roles (ie, allow Johnson to get further forward and swap Gerrard from MCR to MCL), thus taking greater advantage of the capabilities of Johnson but not losing what Gerrard/Sig etc provide? Of course, it does mean playing a left footer on the right and vice-versa, but you're not playing crosses so it's not really a disadvantage. In fact, it's probably an advantage because it would allow Kallstrom and Gerrard to both be shooting across goal on their stronger foot (whereas if Gerrard shoots with his right from the right, he's a lot more limited in his possibilities for aiming his shot - well, certainly in comparison to him being on the left cutting in to shoot on his right).

Aaaanyway, good start to the thread and I'm interested to follow the developments. :thup: I'll check back tomorrow night to further grill your set-up :brock:

Ok further thoughts.

Run at Defence as a team instruction is not a good idea - lots of players taking on their men instead of making the more intelligent pass so I'm dropping that instruction.

Exploit the Middle also seems to be causing players to ignore the wider options when they're there so that's getting dropped as well.

Sturridge shoots from bloody everywhere, so his role is going to need some work.

What is the thinking behind having Enrique cut inside? Your playing a very narrow formation as it is, why would you want a fullback/wingback to cut inside? Especially considering you've got a CM-S ahead of him who will probably occupy that space.

I think what you're going to find is that you actually want the wingbacks to stay wide and hug the touchlines. I'm beating Dortmund right now as I post this and a large part of it is that we've stretched them out wide, and denied their quick passing through the middle. You can do the same thing, and be MORE defensively solid with this set up. But I wouldn't use a FB cutting inside.

It's up to you of course. But this is just my take.

Cut Inside causes him to pick up the ball out wide and then drive diagonally towards the box before shooting or passing to someone else - so far it seems to be drawing players away from Kallstrom behind him, and Kallstrom loves space.

My experience of using AM (s) is they actually get dragged quite deep, and are largely ineffective. I didn't spend a whole lot of time trying to get it to work, because I just changed the role to something more suitable. I do find however it is quite useful if you want to bulk the numbers in midfield up at any point during a game. (probably not useful for what you want to achieve.

I am loving the "It's easy" posts, when there are countless threads on here about Liverpool with people struggling :-)

Good luck, will be following, as I do all your major threads, even if I haven't posted in one of them before.

edit

I actually just realised the tactic with the AMC (s) in wasn't yours, sorry. :-) rest of the post applies.

Not really getting much enjoyment out of this tbh. Flat back 4 is so boring and restrictive.

I think Ill need to change to a 532 variant in order to really care about it, and I'm not sure anyone would be interested in yet another 532 thread from me?

I'm currently trying to get the best of them with a box 4-2-2-2. First time since FM 2008 that I've gone for this formation. Had two friendlies, won against Rangers and Monaco, and I've found so far that Sturridge is absolutely devastating when having someone to pass him a through ball. He plays as STL and relishes from passes from either Suarez or my MCL (Coutinho or Gylfi). Scored 3 in 2, with Suarez also grabbing one. Of-course this is just based on two friendlies.

It might be a silly question- have you given Sturridge the instruction of Shoot Less Often? When I use it he'll still go for the occasional long shot, but he will be way more responsible.

I've been trying out something almost identical to this thread.

My attempted solution was a 41212, but with Lucas (and back up Nordtveit) as a HB - it meant we were essentially using a 3232 when in possession.

Gk

CWB

DC

DC

CWB

HB

DLP-D

CM-S

AM-A

AF-A

CF-S

Here is a link to the post I made in the Liverpool thread (with screenshot): http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/364776-FM14-Liverpool-F.C-Thread-This-Year-is-our-Year!?p=9335650&viewfull=1#post9335650

Not really getting much enjoyment out of this tbh. Flat back 4 is so boring and restrictive.

I think Ill need to change to a 532 variant in order to really care about it, and I'm not sure anyone would be interested in yet another 532 thread from me?

Ackter your threads are always so informative and generate a lot of discussion that no matter where you take the tactic there will be a lot of great information.

Your contribution to the forum and everyone that participates in your threads are truly appreciated.

Shame you can't be arsed, Ackter. Think you should stick with 2 up top though, perhaps using a different team if you can't be bothered with Liverpool...

Speaking of getting strikers to work together, started a Man City save on FMC for a tactical experiment and have so far got 6 goals and 2 assists from the pairing of Aguero/Negredo in 3 games (3/1 each). :cool:

I have a real interest in making Andy Carroll work, so that'll probably be my next attempt.

I'm going to try this with a 352 (and try and make it different from the others) first before losing complete interest, though.

It would help if Suarez wasnt booked for the first 6 games, too.

Ok, this looks pretty nice:

14xcf7n.jpg

With no access to a sweeper, I've gone for Agger with a cover duty as he's the strongest mentally out of Pool's defenders.

I plan on using a BBM for a change, as I never use one, so I'm reinstating the defensive DLP role ahead of defense and a more static MC on the other side. Hopefully their positioning will make up for the BBM running around everywhere.

The right side wingback is slightly more cautious for the same reason.

Not really sure what to do with the strikers yet, but a complete forward duo could be interesting and there's only one way to find out.

The team instructions are there to hopefully encourage a lot of one-touch one-two plays throughout the pitch.

IMO the 2 CF's don't make sense. When you've got 2 strikers you want to split their jobs, right? I mean I know it's a mix of S/A but still. What about AF-A / CF-S ? The complete forward tends to roam about, wouldn't you want someone who can chase down balls and be a bit more involved in the build up play?

wingbacks look great. central midfield is not going to have enough forward runs I fear. The BBM is okay but that probably won't be enough. You really should put an attacking duty in there somewhere.

I like all of the instructions and the mentality.

Yeah, I've found that the BBM drops deeper than the ball at all times - he only runs into the box when the ball is much further forward meaning he just doesn't get involved in build up play. Have changed him to a CM(A).

I think my problem with the AF is that it's too easy to make it work. I want to explore less conventional combinations and see what happens.

I've also removed Higher Tempo as my less technical/creative players (ie the defence) were screwing up their passes too often for my liking as they weren't taking the time they needed. Was losing a lot of possession from them misplacing passes from the back.

Ok, this looks pretty nice:

<pic>

With no access to a sweeper, I've gone for Agger with a cover duty as he's the strongest mentally out of Pool's defenders.

I plan on using a BBM for a change, as I never use one, so I'm reinstating the defensive DLP role ahead of defense and a more static MC on the other side. Hopefully their positioning will make up for the BBM running around everywhere.

The right side wingback is slightly more cautious for the same reason.

Not really sure what to do with the strikers yet, but a complete forward duo could be interesting and there's only one way to find out.

The team instructions are there to hopefully encourage a lot of one-touch one-two plays throughout the pitch.

That does look pretty interesting. I've always preferred a back 3 to a back 4, but i've yet to get one playing as I really want in FM14. Finding a good sweeper/libero is difficult right from the start too (depending on team/budget).

Have you considered using Suarez as a wide target man, but modify his instructions to make him push inside once he gets the ball. Granted its not 2 forwards up top together, but it could easily play like it, especially if the other side as an AP (Coutinho).

Archived