Has Wayne Rooney crashed and burned on anyone else's save?

because he doesn't excel at anything

not saying he's rated wrongly, but the attributes listed in #43 don't exactly scream out at me

in the case that you disagree, point out 1 elite attribute for a striker role - finishing 16, heading 14, pace 15, composure 13 - it's all a bit meh for me

which then means that he's not good enough to lead the line on his own and he's not better than the likes of Mata (his main rival for AMC)

so he's got the position of a glorified fill-in, and then gets fazed out when ManUtd invariably sign a top class striker (signing Higuain is popular on my saves)

and then like others have alluded to, he's quite the whingebag anyway (wants a new multi-million deal practically every season, plus regular CL football)

which rules out the possibility of joining another club [because he's not elite class as a striker, and the English players don't move overseas very often anyway] leading to a "we want you off the wage bill" transfer listing

His Professionalism rating is so low, it makes him an utter disaster to manage. I have not bothered even giving Rooney one season in this version of FM.

Every time I load up the game first thing I do is get rid of Rooney to the highest bidder, then bring in someone cheaper as a stop-gap of sorts while I develop James Wilson. Charlie Austin is a favourite of mine, he's fairly cheap from QPR and salary demands are a pittance compared to Rooney. Austin isn't world class but in the right system he thrives, just keep feeding him the ball.

because he doesn't excel at anything

not saying he's rated wrongly, but the attributes listed in #43 don't exactly scream out at me

in the case that you disagree, point out 1 elite attribute for a striker role - finishing 16, heading 14, pace 15, composure 13 - it's all a bit meh for me

which then means that he's not good enough to lead the line on his own and he's not better than the likes of Mata (his main rival for AMC)

so he's got the position of a glorified fill-in, and then gets fazed out when ManUtd invariably sign a top class striker (signing Higuain is popular on my saves)

and then like others have alluded to, he's quite the whingebag anyway (wants a new multi-million deal practically every season, plus regular CL football)

which rules out the possibility of joining another club [because he's not elite class as a striker, and the English players don't move overseas very often anyway] leading to a "we want you off the wage bill" transfer listing

I agree with you on the striker front, but I don't play any strikers. I use him in a central position in the 4-6-0 formation.

I've just finished my 4th season with him in the team, and his goal ratio has gone down a touch but he got 20 assists for the season. I'll upload a screenshot soon. Even though he's still a very good player I think he's already starting to decline.

Forgot to mention that his 3rd season was without injury, which was amazing. This season (4th) he was out for a few weeks so that may have affected his goal ratio.

I've almost never had joy with Rooney in any FM for the last few years. As IRL I find him frustratingly inconsistent and a bit of a flat track bully who can't dominate big games. I've had a bit more luck with him in the current installment as a BTB midfielder as he isn't mobile enough to play up top in the current game IMHO. However, just as he was starting to develop into the role and turn in some good performances he broke his leg and is just coming back from 6 months out. His physicals are now shot so I'm going to attempt to develop him into a Regista for the last few seasons of his career to replace Carrick who is deteriorating rapidly and at the end of my second season has 1 more season left at best. Overall I think the level he performs at in the last few versions is pretty much a spot on representation of where he is at IRL.

I always start with Leeds or a Skrill/Championship team usually, never have been in Premier.

In 2019 in my save, Rooney is 34. I happened to catch a news article recently about his form and getting dropped from England in all likelihood so I clicked him to check him out.

- No major injuries in last couple of years. Missed 2mo in Sept 2017 with a dislocated shoulder and 3mo in March 2016 with a torn calf muscle. Nothing worse than that since '04.

- Has appeared in 22 games last year and 20 the year prior. Hasn't scored double digit goals since 2014-15 when he was in 30 games. Last "stellar" year was 2011-12, 34 matches and 27 goals. Still 6.78 and 6.68 AR the last two years, over 7.00 AR before that. Making $275k pw currently, on the final year of his contract. Value is down to $750k.

- 15 games into this season he has just 2 appearances with 1 goal.

- Man U accepted a $180k transfer bid from me (I figured he could still spark my offense in the Championship with Wigan) but then Rooney's agent wouldn't negotiate with me since we "couldn't afford his ticket price".

Yeah, this is a huge problem on FM15 - great players on transfer-list never get bought

because (as I said in 50)

the bigger teams that can afford his wages don't see him as an improvement to their side,

and the smaller clubs that could benefit from him can't see him accepting their wages

I wouldn't say it's a problem on FM15, I'd actually say it makes perfect sense

Sides that can afford him: PSG/Barcelona/RealMadrid/Chelsea/ManCity (strikers as rivals Cavani/Zlatan/Messi/Suarez/Neymar/Ronaldo/Benzema/Costa/Aguero) - he's not better than those strikers, hence no bids

Sides that he could improve: Mid-table prem sides (Newcastle, Swansea, Sunderland) - can't afford his wages, hence no bids - he also becomes really upset if you miss the CL [CL not happening at these clubs either]

ManUtd normally sign Higuain in my saves, relegating him to bench fodder

and then they list him due to his demands (why pay someone 275k per week to sit on the bench?)

it's like people have said (under their control) to give him a new contract and make him captain to perform well

he doesn't get this under AI management, with them seeking out other big-name strikers (denying him first team football = bad, as well as a lack of captaincy = bad)

which is why he crashes and burns under AI control

of course, it's also why he does well for England, because he's pretty good for the limited player pool there (Kane [on the .3 update] and Sturridge are his only threats until newgens come along in around 5 years)

----------------

leading to the other question:

is he underrated in game?

no, he's not good enough to lead the line for a top club (his recent 11 game no-scoring league streak suggests this) - VanGaal wanting a big name striker in the summer is indication of this too

and he performs well for England because the 3rd choice isn't better than him (Walcott, Vardy, Austin, Welbeck, Berahino are all behind him in the pecking order) - Kane and [an injury prone] Sturridge are his main rivals for a ST spot, of which England play a 442 ingame

a similar scenario to this was Anderson IRL

wasn't good enough for the ManUtd squad, and barely played any games

but he sat on the transfer list for a few years, unwanted because the lower tier teams couldn't afford his wages

I manage in the lower leagues, but I always check the progress of the top clubs from time to time. Rooney's career is a bit of a trainwreck reminiscent of Gazza.

He suffered injuries in the 2013/14 season and only played 19 league games, averaging 6.90 and scoring two goals, but managed just over 30 games in all competitions.

The next season, Rooney said he wanted a new challenge, but I guess there wasn't really a market for him at the time. During that time, Moyes clearly decided not to play him due to his attitude and bought in other people who were good enough to play over him. He made 12 league appearances, only scoring 3 goals, and 17 appearances across all competitions.

He lost a lot of fitness and ability during this these two seasons, and his attitude was still bad. He was also dropped by England due to lack of game time. The next season he made 1 appearance despite being mostly injury free.

The 16/17 season after that saw him make 2 early league appearances and an England recall, but he was then dropped again and loaned to Celtic for a small fee of 800k. He did well, scoring 4 goals in his 6 league appearances. At the end of the season, his contract expired and he left on a free transfer to Celtic's arch rivals Rangers where he has also performed well so far, scoring 5 goals in 10 games.

A huge fall of grace for a world class in-game player. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

It's happened (relative to his potential when he burst onto the scene) in real life, never mind a save. Such a bang average footballer, with flshy 'look at my hype!' stats.

because (as I said in 50)

the bigger teams that can afford his wages don't see him as an improvement to their side,

and the smaller clubs that could benefit from him can't see him accepting their wages

I wouldn't say it's a problem on FM15, I'd actually say it makes perfect sense

Sides that can afford him: PSG/Barcelona/RealMadrid/Chelsea/ManCity (strikers as rivals Cavani/Zlatan/Messi/Suarez/Neymar/Ronaldo/Benzema/Costa/Aguero) - he's not better than those strikers, hence no bids

Sides that he could improve: Mid-table prem sides (Newcastle, Swansea, Sunderland) - can't afford his wages, hence no bids - he also becomes really upset if you miss the CL [CL not happening at these clubs either]

ManUtd normally sign Higuain in my saves, relegating him to bench fodder

and then they list him due to his demands (why pay someone 275k per week to sit on the bench?)

it's like people have said (under their control) to give him a new contract and make him captain to perform well

he doesn't get this under AI management, with them seeking out other big-name strikers (denying him first team football = bad, as well as a lack of captaincy = bad)

which is why he crashes and burns under AI control

of course, it's also why he does well for England, because he's pretty good for the limited player pool there (Kane [on the .3 update] and Sturridge are his only threats until newgens come along in around 5 years)

----------------

leading to the other question:

is he underrated in game?

no, he's not good enough to lead the line for a top club (his recent 11 game no-scoring league streak suggests this) - VanGaal wanting a big name striker in the summer is indication of this too

and he performs well for England because the 3rd choice isn't better than him (Walcott, Vardy, Austin, Welbeck, Berahino are all behind him in the pecking order) - Kane and [an injury prone] Sturridge are his main rivals for a ST spot, of which England play a 442 ingame

a similar scenario to this was Anderson IRL

wasn't good enough for the ManUtd squad, and barely played any games

but he sat on the transfer list for a few years, unwanted because the lower tier teams couldn't afford his wages

Yes, but after some time these players realize that they need to move on and play. They (almost) never do in FM :( Sometimes their contract runs out and they retire. But they rarely accept going to "lower" clubs.

There should be more instances of players moving to sides perceived as lower than the current team just for the sake of 'reviving' his career. Or, if he wants to play and can't get a place on the side, he should be willing to move to a new club for less (or much less!) money than he is making.

It feels strange good players retiring at 25, 28, when they have much more to give. Plus, it would be very strange irl.

Rooney's got 20 in 25 for me this season. And he's not even my starting striker. I'm selling him at the end of the season as I've just signed Lukaku. Between him, Wilson, and Inaki Williams, there just isn't any room for him anymore. Hopefully I'll be able to sell him for a bit given the good season he's having.

Archived