FM14: The Skrill Premier, North & South thread

CityAndColour

Guest El Payaso
Nice work - how are your newgens looking El Payaso?
Well, Roger Kerr and Dave Boon are still keys for us. Kerr is now rated as a potential leading full-back in Premierleague so he will be a star for sure. Boon still just decent Premierleague player even though he is even better player at the moment. Got one good one in from Man City for free in the summer and he'll be quality midfielder. I think that my poor facilities is the thing that slows down the progress quite a bit and the board won't improve them.

I'll post some screenies when I play next time.

I made a bit of a project for myself in this first Championship season; I sent many players out on loan who played a part in the team last season and got a few of these 22-23 year-old players that should be potential Premierleague players, looking to improve them in the first Championship season and give my 'own' youngsters some gametime in League 1. Even though AI managers seem to be really poor at developing players, I trust that they must improve in the League 1.

I finally got decent offers for my players in the summer. Out went Lionel Stone for £250k (was a starting centre back for me for three seasons), Danny Mayor for £250k (brilliant player when in shape but I've now got younger and more potential players, all good to Danny though, was a brilliant signing for us), Alan Marsden £190k (the regen keeper whom I got at the start of the first season, two seasons as my starting keeper but already reached his potential at the age of 19). Marsden was my third keeper that was bought by Premierleague club, it is odd how 'bad' keepers they are willing to buy.

Out went also Andrew Davies (my best centreback in League 2 and League 1) and of course the icon Charlie O'Loughlin who just didn't settle for decent contract, luckily he found a new club soon and joined Ebbsfleet. He was brilliant in Skrill South and Premier and still decent in League 2, in League 1 I just couldn't play him and he started to refuse tutoring also.

52ed448c73dab.jpg

I'm gonna get better gate receipts this season and hopefully this improves our finances which are quite good at the moment with the particapation money and selling of players.

At the end of pre-season I still have about £10k left in the wage budget and I'll be looking to sign Gary Cahill who is free agent currently, not willing to join yet but maybe at some point. My club's average age is only 22 years so I could do a bit of experience.

E: might as well post the screenies now...

Dave Boon

Carl hughes

Roger Kerr

Jason Coleman

James Horsfield

These are the best ones.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's harsh CityAndColour! Very harsh!

So since Doherty's bad injury, I've brought another highly rated youngster I signed on a free into the team called Harry Lewis (name corrected). His stats aren't quite Doherty's, but he's banging in more goals than our main man, and our form has really picked up! Knocked out the FA Cup in the 4th Qualifying round, but since then been on a run. Have been to some big clubs away and got a result. My 4-5-1 formation seems to work really well away from home at the bigger clubs on the counter. One gripe though is that we have been up in quite a few matches now, but have thrown the lead away. Amazing how many times I've raced into a 3-0 lead in this career only to end up drawing or losing. If we weren't drawing these games we'd be right in the promotion hunt.

Also anyone noticed how many corners end up on the roof of the net?

Ended up going for Margate, after editing them in the database to give them their real life January signings of Tom Phipp, Rashid Yussuff, George Artemi and Mitchell Nelson, all of whom are excellent players for this level. I then holidayed a season and kept reloading the season change-over date until they came up.

The board expect playoffs, however have given me a whopping wage budget of £10K per week, allowing me to bring in some excellent signings in Joe Magunda, John Sands, Lewis Smith and Shaun Jeffers.

What's the season change over date just out of interest? Is it the same every year?

24th June is the last day of the previous season. On 25th June leagues will all reset to 0 played with relegated/promoted teams in their new divisions.

Guest El Payaso

52f20749e2ffa.jpg

First month in the Championship and already fed up with the sloppy defending and superb dribbling. Need to take a break with this game, hopefully the next patch is much better.

We performed okay in terms of results but otherwise the highlights just are full of things that I don't want to see in my games...

I've got £64k wage budget and still have about £10k available. :D Newcastle still has players like Cabaye who have higher wages than my whole team has.

Here's the table:

52f2074a11bfd.jpg

And my team's stats

Yeah I am fairly sure it's a known issue.

I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of players I've been able to sign with Margate - we're top of the table in January and I've been able to snap up former Torquay legend Lee Mansell, while a plethora of other Conference/L2 standard players are available to me on a free.

I've tried a few times already this season, but I'm having another go at getting the 'English Hero' achievement and I've decided to go with Ebbsfleet.

B4ahRQF.png

I've made a few signings, mainly to add some more depth to the squad.

Luke Cotter - We managed to snap up the youngster after he was released from Bromley. A bit of a coup as my ass man thinks he has potential to be a decent Premier League player.

Ross Smith - Goes straight into the team as the starter along side Lorraine.

Frederick Champion - Signed as a backup for the DM position, has potential to grow if he gets some decent game time.

Harry Baker - Another player signed to add depth, this time for the wings. He'll still get plenty of games though.

Kirk Ryan - One of three youngsters signed on a free transfer. They're fairly low risk gambles, coming for nothing with high potential.

Gianluca Fowler

Petros Vasileiou

nlwUXbk.png

Pre-season was alright, most of the games were against smaller opposition and I don't normally take too much notice of the friendlies anyway. We've started the season in fantastic form, getting 13 points out of a possible 15. Ben May has started with 5 goals in 3 appearances and looks to be in the running for the league's top scorer.

WLiG4J3.png

As you'd expect our great start sees us top of the tree on goal difference, hopefully we can continue our form and pull away from the rest of the table.

EDIT: Exactly the kind of thing I didn't need. :(

ci2Wzsn.png

Decent start, and that's awful about May. What role were you playing him in? I can probably suggest some replacements for him.

Also, are you using Tom Phipp? He's a good player but drives me crazy as he has the annoying "shoots from distance" PPM.

Margate FC - 2014/15 review - Conference South

League table

Graph

Squad

Transfers

There's an old saying that if your striking pair combines for 57 goals and 37 assists, then you probably should get promoted. Which is exactly what we did, grabbing top spot with 17 matches played and not relinquishing it all season. The title was wrapped up with a home win over Havant & Waterlooville in the 40th fixture, and despite handing the reigns to my assistant for the final two matches (both losses), it was a fairly comfortable season.

---

Key players

Former Fulham youngster Lewis Smith was the star man, notching 36 goals and 23 assists on his way to league player of the season honours. He starts at Dartford and is a real lower league gem.

Coventry youth product Shaun Jeffers completed the other half of said strike force, with 20 goals and 13 assists, Cypriot Jack Sammoutis was a fine contributor in central midfield and veteran defender Andy Frampton marshaled the team brilliantly as skipper, with his two goals sealing promotion.

---

Career progress

2013/14 - Holidayed

2014/15 - Conference South - 1st (promoted as champions)

Despite being predicted by the media to finish 11th, which suggests a decent reputation, I still found it hard to attract signings that were better than what I had. Regardless, I'm fairly happy with who has come in, with notable signings below:

Wes Baynes - a bit of a lower league legend from previous versions, and his set piece and shooting ability from right back still seems in tact. Free from Oxford City.

Sam Cox - As El Payaso will attest to, a diminutive central midfielder with excellent tutoring pedigree. Free from Boreham Wood.

Liam Dickinson - Available on a free, his career hasn't quite matched his natural ability, but he should add some firepower up front.

Nat Jarvis - Depth up front, probably won't see too many starts. Free from Brackley.

Martin Rowlands - Doesn't have the legs to play 90 minutes too often but plenty of experience right up to the Championship. Free from relegated Dover.

Jonathan Smith - Classy central midfielder with Conference experience at Forest Green, York and Luton. Cost me £4.5K up front from Dover.

I'm also monitoring centre halves Gaz Dean and Clovis Kamdjo, who are unattached but as yet unwilling to discuss terms.

In terms of outgoings, Jack Sammoutis gets his chance at a higher level, agreeing a £16.5K move to Livingston, and John Sands left on a free to Eastleigh.

I think we have the squad to get the midtable finish the board wants - no real stand outs (although Lewis Smith has five goals in the first three) but a lot of experienced pros.

We've won our first three matches too, so hopefully can capitalise on a good start. A cup run would also be nice given the club's poor financial position.

Guest El Payaso

Sam Cox - As El Payaso will attest to, a diminutive central midfielder with excellent tutoring pedigree. Free from Boreham Wood.

Absolutely, Sam is pure class. Still in my Boreham Wood team in Championship and will play in my team for the rest of his career if willing to. Not getting any gametime in the league anymore though but of course he has his place as a mentor if I manage to get some talents through the intake in future, so far the intakes have been horrific and my U-18 team is completely empty. Noto will be retiring after season 17/18 and his mentorings haven't really been a success. I still have some wages left in the budget and might be looking for some Scottish, Irish and Welsh talents in january and use Mario as a mentor for the last time. Charlie O'Loughlin is gone after season 16/17 :( he simply demanded too much on wages and couldn't keep him in the U-21 team, fans absolutely furious after the release... Luckily Charlie found a new home from Ebbsfleet.

Not playing currently, just waiting for the update. Just hoping that the defending generally will be better with the last update...

A little update for you. So my 5th season ended reasonably successfully. We ended up 11th and won the FA Trophy final. We were battling for the playoff/title for a while and got up to 2nd. The league was so close; however, our form collapsed and only by winning the last 3 did we end up 11th. If we hadn't we would have been nearer the bottom again. I wonder if I've reached the ceiling with Maidenhead now? I'll give it one more season, and the reason for this is is our Chairman is now looking to leave, so goodness knows what will happen! I'm also trying out a new formation, a variation of 4-4-2.

League:

Season2017-2018.png

FA Trophy Final:

FATrophyFinal2018.png

Takeover?

Takeover.png

FA Trophy is a nice little consolation prize - I always feel a bit cheated if I get promoted before I win it, as once you're into League Two you can only play it again if you get relegated.

I'm currently having to prioritise cup runs with Margate simply due to the financial situation. Luckily we're well clear of relegation nearing the half way point.

Incredible. We were the last team drawn out of the hat, and got Everton away. They are 5th in the Prem and average around 35K attendance, so that should sort out the finances well and truly.

So close to getting United too - they came out third last, and will play at Lincoln.

Guest El Payaso
Incredible. We were the last team drawn out of the hat, and got Everton away. They are 5th in the Prem and average around 35K attendance, so that should sort out the finances well and truly.

That's always nice. I'm a bit annoyed that with Boreham Wood I never got a proper cup run going; we did get to the 4th round in FA Cup in that season where we were in League 2 but those smaller cups... We were always underperforming in those, never got fat in FA Trophy or Johnstone's Painttrophy and now we don't have chance to win those. I think that I'm quite bad at winning single matches but do quite well in the long run. :(

Anyway, come January 1st Cox will have his first tutoring assignment...

10zwoc1.jpg

Cost me £3.5K from Kings Lynn, and apparently has the potential to be a decent League One player. Doesn't look like much but a lot of his single figure attributes are eights and nines. Has a balanced personality too, so hopefully can pick up Cox's resolute personality type.

EDIT - scrap that, decided to have him tutored by Tom Phipp instead due to his professional personality type.

I should probably start a save with my beloved Stockport County but it's too depressing to see us this far down the footballing pyramid, 10 years ago we were in the Championship. Histon could be an interesting save with the oldest player at the club being just 22.

Fear not ;). I got the Stockport job in my new (and ultimate hardcored FM save) and I'm 23 games into the season and I'm 10 pts clear at the top. I've got Tunnicliffe and Charnock playing well at CB and I've paired Phil Jevons with a 17 year old striker I signed who the other day scored the quickest hat trick I've ever had an on FM game at 2mins 39secs!. His name is Terry Killock and is not only the clubs top scorer for me, but he also has 7 goals in his last 4 appearances, all at the age of 17. Ive signed a total of about 17 or 18 new players and nearly all of them are teenagers (includng Mr. Killock). How do I post images on this forum?.

Right hopefully I've got this right. I've got the screenshots at the time pretty much as soon as the goal was scored, but as long as my maths haven't failed me, the goals were 2mins 39 apart. I don't use any pre-game or in game editors and the default DB was used to start the game. Let me know if I done it right.

242982f.jpg

v4a0xy.jpg

15zjk2d.jpg

29d9uvn.jpg

drew - take the space out of the second lot of brackets - I only put that in so I could type it out for you. It should be [/img]

Better yet, just copy the link under "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" on tinypic and paste that straight into here.

drew - take the space out of the second lot of brackets - I only put that in so I could type it out for you. It should be [/img]

Better yet, just copy the link under "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" on tinypic and paste that straight into here.

I think I got it right now. Good job Im better at FM than this LOL

A wildly successful first season in the Premier, culminating in a playoff appearance...

wks18p.jpg

Title race looks close but Luton lost two of their last three to make it appear closer. They were comfortable for the most part.

We lost to Forest Green, Bristol Rovers and Altrincham the last time we played all three.

15qb4i1.jpg

We gave up a 2-0 lead in the first leg, but did the business at home, to set up a final with Forest Green at Wembley.

Unfortunately, the loan of Junior Morais (12 goals and six assists in 17 matches) ends just before the final, but talisman Liam Dickinson will make a return from injury.

4r7xwx.jpg

Annoyed doesn't even begin to describe it.

1-0 up when one of my centre halves gets sent off in the 43rd minute for a buggy professional foul (multiple defenders in positions to cover). Somehow we manage to go 2-0 up early in the second half, before Forest Green scored two in quick succession, the second of which was a mishit 50 yard cross.

Missed two clear one on ones in extra time, before conceding in the 115th minute. Arse.

Margate FC - 2015/16 review - Conference Premier

League table

Graph

Squad

Transfers

We started like a house on fire, winning our first four matches, and never seemed to really fall away, staying in the top five for pretty much the whole season. Luton always had the rest of the league at an arm's length, and we carried our own form all the way through to the playoff final, where a questionable red card, mishit cross and 115th minute goal condemned us to a second season in the Conference.

We also had some success in the FA Cup, drawing a money-spinning tie at Goodison Park in the third round.

---

Key players

As is often the case with my teams, we had a lot of goal scoring contributions. Liam Dickinson was our player of the year with 23 goals and 18 assists, while Lewis Smith scored 18 times despite missing half the season with a torn calf. Shaun Jeffers chipped in 14 and Tom Phipp (nine goals and 12 assists) was the pick of our midfielders.

---

Career progress

2013/14 - Holidayed

2015/16 - Conference Premier - 2nd (lost playoff final)

So I suppose I may as well come back and start posting about my Eastleigh save. I haven't played for some time but with me getting a little bored of my Indonesian save on FM13, I had a choice of two FM14 saves. Either my Eastleigh save or my Yeovil save. I've gone for the first one.

The last time I left it we were 2 up against Chesterfield in the FA Cup 1st Round. Well we ended up tanking Chesterfield 6-1 to book a 2nd Round tie at home against Morecambe. In the league we lost our next game 2-1 against Gateshead with them scoring two in the last fifteen minutes. That's where I stopped and now I'm back it to it we've played two games with two wins. The first was a 2-0 win against Nuneaton with their central midfielder Luke Watson grabbing a brace of own goals. Next up, again at home we faced play-off hopefuls Southend United. A couple 3-1 victory sees us sit top after twenty one games with a three point cushion.

We have two cup games in our next three games and sandwiched in between them is a trip to Wrexham who currently sit in third. Our squad is a fairly large one for this level as we have twenty six first team members with ten youth team players supplementing that. However, we do have three players out injured for varying times but no more than six weeks. We also have two players coming back from injury.

We're in the middle of November with about £350 in the wage budget left so in January there may not be many deals done. Unless I can find a few loans. We also moved back to our ground in the middle of December which should be good.

Sounds like you're having a good time of it NF. We're suffering second season blues at the moment - after winning three of our first four (scoring 15 goals in the process), we're currently on a five match winless streak and sitting in 16th. The board expects a top half finish too, and has lessened the wage budget which is making things difficult.

So after falling as low as 16th, we managed to get Junior Morias on loan again from Wycombe, and his goals have propelled us to second in the league with 21 played, four points off top and three points inside the playoff spots. We're also unbeaten in nine, but unfortunately suffered a shock FA Cup exit at home to Boreham Wood in the fourth qualifying round.

The FA Trophy brings a trip to Vauxhall Motors first up, and is a competition I want to win.

Managed to get through to the final of the FA Trophy, after dispatching Boreham Wood 8-2 in the semis (2-1 at home, 6-1 away) where we will play Dartford. Sitting second in the league although have lost three of our last four, which has allowed Macclesfield to open up a double figure points gap at the top.

Unfortunately, the financial situation at the club is still dire. Despite a fruitful 12 months which brought in £350K in cup gate receipts, £100K in player sales and £80K in friendly gates, we are still well in the red and don't look like getting out of it any time soon. It's kind of a catch 22 now because we need promotion to progress, yet we can't really afford to turn full time when we do.

20z1i0g.jpg

Fairly easy in the end, as Dartford barely threatened aside from a couple of good chances in the last 20 minutes, while we squandered quite a few.

Next goal is promotion - with six to play we are four points behind Macclesfield and 11 points clear of Wimbledon in third.

Margate FC - 2016/17 review - Conference Premier

League table

Graph

Squad

Transfers

A miraculous season that started strongly, looked like petering out into mid table obscurity, before exploding into life and culminating in a memorable double.

We started like a house in fire, unlucky to only get a point at Accrington on opening day before plundering 14 goals in our next three, all victories. An unlucky home defeat to Gateshead after this triggered a run of three straight losses, and two draws after that has us floundering in 16th.

Slowly but surely we started to drag ourselves back up, and by Christmas we had reached second, a position we comfortably maintained. Another three losses in a row, the last on 7 February at home to Southport, left us 13 points behind runaway leaders Macclesfield, before we finished the season as follows:

walW2D4.jpg

Macclesfield were performing their own slow choke, and after the Worcester match we found ourselves top on goal difference. We duly celebrated by putting in a shocking display at Bristol Rovers, while a Macclesfield win seemed to close the title door again. But we bounced right back by dominating 4th placed Newport on the bank holiday Monday, and the Silkmen lost at home to Cambridge. Needing to just match their result on the final day, we were never in trouble against Morecambe, while another Macc loss meant we won the title by three points.

Macclesfield then needed a 6-2 second leg win to advance to the playoff final, where they were duly trounced 4-0 by Newport. Harsh.

In the FA Trophy, we needed replays to get by Ebbsfleet and Chester, before a 6-1 demolition job in Borehamwood set up a final with Dartford. We were never troubled and the 2-0 win could have been three or four.

The personal net result of all of this is being elevated to the club's favoured personnel, and winning manager of the season.

---

Key players

Shaun Jeffers enjoyed something of a resurgent season, with 25 goals and 13 assists, and he was ably supported by loanee Junior Morias, who provided 22 goals and 16 assists despite incredibly not scoring in the last 11 games of the season, a run which has put me off trying to sign him permanently.

Wes Baynes led the league in assists (18 in the league, 22 overall) from the right wing back spot, and my player of the year was the ever-present Danny Fitzsimons, who chipped in with 10 goals from centre half and started every single match.

---

Career progress

2013/14 - Holidayed

2015/16 - Conference Premier - 2nd (lost playoff final)

2016/17 - Conference Premier - 1st (promoted as champions, FA Trophy winners)

What do you guys do with contracts, and zero budget when your players only have short term deals?

I'm playing as Bradford Park Avenue, and it's Dec. 2013, looking quite like I could be promoted, I'm 2nd at the moment, 2 points behind Gainsborough(though they have two games in hand). I have a very good chance of wining the playoffs though, and I know I can beat Gainsborough again to cut the gap next time we play. Problem is, barrig one guy I signed myself on a 2 year £25pw deal(4*CA 5*PA), every other player is non-contract or ending in summer 2014. I'm already £200pw over budget and with an undersized squad. Had to play youth in the cups, and out of both. I can offer players contracts, but I'll seemingly bankrupt the team if I do.

Looks like I may have to just start ext season with my 1 player, 3-4 youths and whatever budget I get, or abuse he greylist boys.

I might just have to take the budget hit to get Chibuzor Chilaka(best player in the league so far), Nathan Hotte and Richard Marshall on for another year, so far they're proving vital to my success.

EDT: I'm out of both cups, so no chance of helpful runs there.

Archived