FM14: The Skrill Premier, North & South thread

CityAndColour

Guest El Payaso

I haven't updated the team sheet for a while but I think that this is my team for the season 18/19:

GK: Owain fon Williams

DR: Justin Gibbons

DL: Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill

CB: Emmitt Delfouneso

CB: Trevor Brady

DM: Dave Boon

MC: Andrew Crofts

MC: Matt Ball

AMR Alexander Rommedahl

AML Ravel Morrison

ST: Cauley Woodrow

S1: Tom King

S2: Michael Chambers

S3: James Horsfield

S4: Mats Daehli

S5: Bryn Morris

S6: Jordan Graham

S7: Jerome Sinclair

I'm happy with this team. The defence is now better than last year and we're going to get better training facilities available in october which helps a lot. I'm looking to develope these players to their maximum potential and even that will make us go far if we succeed. I'm a bit worried about King's development but I'm aiming to give him more game-time in this season even though he was a failure in last season. The midfield and flanks are in excellent condition but the defence needs a bit of bolstering when/if we reach the Premierleague. I'm also struggling to get DM and MCR (mainly Boon and Crofts) to perform but I think that it's more down to the ME which doesn't appreciate these breaking midfielders enough...

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest El Payaso

533807f6b68ee.jpg

533809cf3bfaa.jpg

Clean sheets all the way but still not impressed with our defending generally. Luck wasn't on our side either as I feel that we edged each game but only against Crewe we managed to finish from our chances. It's going to be a long season if we play like this...

533809cf4a77e.jpg

League Cup drew us against Soton. I already had this game played untill my computer decided to reboot itself because of some kind of update... It was 2-2 and we won on penalties. Lets see whether we can do it again.

Guest El Payaso

533a65a9d7239.jpg

533a65a9e5951.jpg

It really seems tough for us to win games this season. The lack of experience is kicking us right into teeth.

533a65a9f1ffd.jpg

The performance and the result against Southampton was good though. It really does get tougher in the next round as we face an away game.

Guest El Payaso

533c3c6d9078e.jpg

533c3c6da18f2.jpg

Form is picking up or so it would seem when you watch the results but I'm not too convinced. We performed well in terms of controlling the game against Sheffield United but made a few too many mistakes. Against Sunderland a bit lucky draw even though at the end we could have won it. Portsmouth and QPR were beaten at early stages with superior finishing and against 'Boro we played a decent away game. Lost both Graham and Morrison due to injuries in games, the Graham one awarded us the penalty against 'Boro but 2 month injury is quite high price for one goal. Matt Ball is now playing as left midfielder as I am running out of options. He should do a decent job to both ends of the pitch.

533c3c6db1165.jpg

The cup run stopped here. We were 1-0 up at half time but they took in a second striker and after that: huge trouble. Tried playing really defensively and it worked all right in the first half but even with 2DMs covering the vulnerable centre back duo we had no chance. Best performance in the League Cup so far though, not too gutted.

Guest El Payaso

533d0284c163d.jpg

533d0284e899f.jpg

November took us to the top of the table for the first time in this season. It was actually Michael Carrick who made it all possible. He made such a big difference on how we played after he joined us day before the Burnley-game. Gave him two starts and he played the first half in both games and we were so much more composed and first time in a long time actually controlled the possession and the game. Second halfs without Michael were once again awful but luckily we hang on to those leads.

Guest El Payaso

533ef6807d691.jpg

We were the second best team in the Championship in busy December. Handful of good performances and few bad ones. We lost a two goal lead against Bournemouth in last 10 minutes and Millwall zeroed us quite well at home game. Otherwise a really good month as we didn't even have the possibility to rotate the squad because of injuries.

533ef680a474a.jpg

Top of the table is always nice.

533ef68091139.jpg

Guest El Payaso

5342502f94762.jpg

Brought Charlie back as he was in U-21s with Ebbsfleet. :) Also managed to sign Sinclair permanently. Thorpe will give us some experience and possibility to rotate.

5342502fb86ed.jpg

This is all new to me: we lost a four goal lead away at Huddersfield. At half-time James Vaughan came in and decided that he wouldn't be stopped today. We had a goal ruled out in 4-2 situation but really this was a good example on how unreliable our defending can be when at it's worst. The second point loss came against Watford where we had to play the game as a tied bunch of players after the FA Cup game we had just a few days before.

We haven't lost a game in Championship since october.

5342502fc7f39.jpg

5342502fc0671.jpg

The FA Cup saw us winning Blackburn once again but the next one will be a tricky one if not impossible: a Premier league club away from home. We all remember our performance against Fulham...

Guest El Payaso

5344fc2450762.jpg

I don't know what happened to my games but I really just can't play Football Manager like this. It's been highly enjoyable save game but there's a limit for everything.

5344fc245f28c.jpg

Guest El Payaso
That's insane, but not surprising with the current match engine. It's a bit of a Barry Crocker.
I just noticed that I didn't save the game after I did that so my save game would still be there at the end of march. Might just play again some day. Shame that it has come to this as I really grew bonded with the team and even the generated players I had. Still sitting at the top of the Championship... But isn't it kinda cheating if I just played these games again and continued the game?

Guest El Payaso

5346d34d0af12.jpg

Results from the rest of the season anyway. Won the Championship with 103 points: 101 goals scored and 43 conceded. Cauley Woodrow, Matt Ball, Ryan McLaughlin, Emmitt Delfouneso and Alexander Rommedahl made it to the team of the year. Woodrow scored 25 in the Championship and Rommedahl combined 12 goals and 25 assists in the league. Rommedahl was also the player of the season.

And the tactic:

5346d34d1e3e0.jpg

That is the team that would be starting our first Premier league campaign.

Guest El Payaso
Smashing it. What mentality and style do you play?
I used that tactic with very fluid philosophy and control mentality and went to counter when leading comfortably. Was really really lucky in some games (for example against Sheff Wed, scored every goal from corners) and highly vulnerable in the defence against quick attacks. I'm not using that in Premier league though but the team instructions were:

shorter passing, play out of defence, work ball into box, pass into space, push higher up, hassle opponents, tighter marking, stick to positions and be more disciplined.

No sence at all in that but seemed to do the job when you're a big team in your league. :D

Guest El Payaso

534a5f8690038.jpg

Decided to continue this save game just because it would be shame to just throw it away. It's been my longest save game ever in FM.

534a5f86975ae.jpg

Team of the year was quite a success for our players.

534a5f869e984.jpg

Alexander Rommedahl picked the player of the season award and also for second time in a row Fans' player of the year-award.

Rommedahl also broke Jack Barmby's one season assists record and Cauley Woodrow broke the goalscoring record already in February:

5344348e2f65b.jpg

To the Premier league we go. The Meadow Park is once again under some expansion so we're moving to Charlton's The Lane to play for most of the season. Our training and youth facilities are also under constructing and will be finished in October.

It's going to be a tough first season in the Top Flight.

Budgets were something like: £275k/week for wages and £9M for transfers.

Guest El Payaso

534d238d99935.jpg

Our form took a big fall. Especially in those games against big ones we were simply non-existent and conceded goals from everywhere. I have no clue how to fix our style of play and this is truly becoming a season not to remember. The whole defensive line can go in the summer, it's just absolute joke how badly they play. Only performing when they have nothing to do in the games. Ican only sympathize with Smithies who has done everything possible behind that line.

534d238db6dc8.jpg

534d238dd111a.jpg

534d238dc807a.jpg

Guest El Payaso

534e43849fb94.jpg

This is it: we have finally produced our first Premier league quality youngsters. Jonathan Smith looks promising, eh? Brian Burns not too bad either.

534e4384d5427.jpg

The board is now on right tracK: they're finally really investing to the club and after a chat with Hunter:

534e4384dee27.jpg

We're gonna have a new stadium! One year ago they didn't even want to expand the Meadow Park.

534e46d9e8120.jpg

Financially we're doing well at the moment.

Guest El Payaso

534e77d93d9c4.jpg

We ended up 12th in our first season in the top flight. Too many goals conceded (15 from corner kicks) and also had bad problems in our attacking play but we ended the season with three wins in a row and scored 12 goals in those three matches.

534eb1bfa2775.jpg

I think that our keepers were excellent in this season. They did what they could.

534eb1bfb39c0.jpg

Defenders didn't do well. Wilson was brought to the team as a leader but it was too much for him. Really frustrating to watch these 'strong' centre backs being like teddy bears inside our own penalty area. Hancox might just be the worst full back that I have ever managed even though his defensive attributes are excellent. I'm going to train him to be a centre back in next season. McLaughlin... Did not shine in the top flight.

534eb1bfbc728.jpg

Ledson and Morris still improving as players but I played them the most and I will be building our midfield around those two. I've also got high hopes that Graham and Daehli will reach good amount of their potential even though they both turned 25 during the spring.

534eb1bfc4a7c.jpg

Woodrow was unstoppable at times, in the middle of the season and at the very end otherwise he was too alone there in the attack. Sinclair is still a player that we have high hopes on even though his progress has been slow.

EPL: 12th

League Cup: 3rd round (2-5 Chelsea (et))

FA Cup: 5th round (3-4 Chelsea(et))

Guest El Payaso

SUMMER 2020

534fbc2e5f073.jpg

Yet another summer where we failed to find that leading defender to our team but generally a really good window:

534fbdb44fdb6.jpg

534fbdb456741.jpg

534fbdb45e67f.jpg

534fbdb465be6.jpg

Out went Matt Ball, Tom King, James Horsfield and sadly also the last two of the icons: Charlie O'Loughlin and Sam Cox. Here are all the players who left the club. We're aiming for a top half finish and I see it as a realistic target even tough we didn't manage to get that centre back. I'll be training Hancox to be one.

534fc3a01cffe.jpg

We had a training camp for the first time and it went well. The assistant was in charge.

Key players for the season are:

Smithies

Wilson

Ledson

• 3 weeks later...

In my 2nd season with Halifax, still in the ConfPremier, I beat both MK Dons and Morecambe in the FA Cup...and got Man Utd at Old Trafford in Round 3!! After the match the balance went from £108k to £1.1 Million. Unreal

I've neglected this thread quite a bit! If anyone wants to follow my progress with Alfreton, they can do so here. Currently in L1, and have made a small killing off player sales and cup runs.

El Payaso - Smith looks amazing. I'm guessing you hate newgen faces though?!

BenW - great work. I got City away in the third round as Dorchester and the club ended up turning professional while still in the conference. Maybe you'll do the same?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing as Witton Albion in Skrill North, 2014. I've got Alex Titchener on the left as my advanced forward, but need someone to partner him up front. Could anyone recommend a good target man for my strike partnership please?

Thanks. Charlie Griffin and Cliff Akurang are both going out of contract at the end of the month, so I'll go with one of them. I was looking at Aron Wint, but some of his attributes for a target man are rather low.

Edit: I went with Charlie Griffin. He looks good, even for an older player.

Histon - 2013/1 review - League Two

League table

Graph

Fixtures

Squad

Tactics

Transfers

After being predicted to finished 19th and losing 3 out of my 1st 4 i changed up my tactics from 3-5-2 to 5-3-2 with a flat 3 in midfield we went on a tear with 6 straight clean sheets to put us right up at the top.

Half way through the season we are sitting top with a bit of a gap between us and 3rd with no sign of the form letting us down yet. Kaine Sheppard's goals dried up a tad so we signed Mark McCammon who is getting on a bit but i put him straight into the starting line up and he's picked up straight were Kaine left off. It also let me put Lewis Taaffe in a more advanced strikers role and he's started banging the goals in becoming the clubs top scorer so far.

I've promoted a few players from the U21 squad since a couple of the loan signings don't want to renew with us so it will be interesting to see how they step up!

Found it really solid tbh. As you can see in my 1st 6 games after the switch i kept 6 clean sheets which is rare as hell in this league :D

I'm 3 games from finishing the season and have slowly been slipping down to 2nd atm tied with first, hope i can pull it through :)

Have any of you seen anything of Vences Bola in your saves?

He's an ex-Crystal Palace Academy product (19 at the start of the game) and I've signed him up on a free transfer at the start of season 1 for my development squad at Leyton Orient. He boasts some impressive stats for a Skrill level striker (finishing 15, pace 14), which could prove to be an awesome combination at your level.

I've immediately loaned him out to Dulwich Hamlet but hope that after some initial playing experience and then good club training upon his return, he may be able to improve other aspects of his game and become a useful asset. It's certainly worth a gamble, with wages of only £140 p/w.

He used to be a bit of a lower league name in previous versions - I never used him on FM14 though.

OK, thanks. I'd never heard Bola mentioned before.

I still haven't got my Skrill save on FM14 started, I often look but end up underwhelmed by the squads. I narrowed it down to a handful of clubs on several occasions (one big, one small), so one day will be brave and give it a go. I did enjoy my Hayes & Yeading effort last year before it crashed - but this time it will need to be a professional outfit as the N/C status was very challenging for me. Ironically, I already have two new and different sides in mind for FM15 (one big, one small), so I need to keep my hand in before that.

In the meantime I've referred alot to this detailed guide anyway, as I'm always in the market for non-league gems at L1/L2 clubs. On that note, I signed Marcel Henry-Francis for Leyton Orient at the same time as Bola - also for my development squad. Again I loaned him back to my new feeder club, Dulwich Hamlet. Any experience with him?

I've taken a small break from signing Dan Holman now, as I must have taken him to five or six clubs in the last few versions (all with great success it must be said). Have some of the other hotshots like Andre Gray and Lee Gregory been uprated in version 14.3, and where there any other significant changes to squads/players/finances etc, or was it all kept quite similar?

I checked Gray after the update and aside my his pace, he is still extremely poor compared to real life. Obviously he should get a big boost for FM15 though as he did all his damage in the second half of the season it seemed.

I checked Gray after the update and aside my his pace, he is still extremely poor compared to real life. Obviously he should get a big boost for FM15 though as he did all his damage in the second half of the season it seemed.

That's a shame. Having said that, both Holman and Gregory can score in L1 from season 1, so maybe even with those stats, Gray might do the same.

Despite all my years of playing CM/FM I've never really had a good go at going from Skrill Premier N/S to Premier League, ive looked at your guide so have an idea for a few teams but wondering if you could give us some ideal players to sign ? Also what are the main stats u look for when playing this low ? Also what rep does everyone start with thanks

I got victor zapata straight away and he was with me until i got to the prem. he was less used as i went through the divisions tho. I bought and sold 75% of the team each season as i went up too. Be ruthless is the key. Long, Lorraine, rance and phipp are good first teamers till league one.

• 1 month later...

With the demise of Hereford meaning they won't be playable in default version of FM15, I will finally have my first Skrill save on this edition. There are no great expectations, and looking at the squad it's clear to see why - there really isn't anybody that I'd be upset to lose (players and/or staff).

Cheers for your input CityAndColour.

Hereford_zps55914a05.png

I've stumbled through to the end of September (a woeful pre-season and now 12 unremarkable games in TSP). I feel we have a better squad now than when I took over - although performances and results don't seem to back that up so far. That said, we were 33-1 shots for promotion and our media prediction was 18th. We're a few places above that (13th now, with 14 points) - but it's all very tight and we could easily slide in to the drop zone. Survival is the main priority this season, and a mid-table finish would be a bonus.

HerefordUnited_FixturesSchedule_zps1bed15a8.png

The first thing I did was terminate all contracts of my staff, as they didn't offer me anything. I can't improve the club or players with poor staff so just had to bite the bullet. I've definitely got a good backroom team now, and I'm very happy given the wage constraints and limited numbers that were allowed.

Now let us discuss the nucleus of the squad, as a guideline to what a shambles the club is...

Graham was first out of the door, although I know he was well respected at the club. He was combining his duties (player/coach), but was an awful coach, and way too slow as a central defender for me. Another player/coach (Purdie) fell in to the same category. Both of them had their contracts terminated immediately.

Collins looked decent enough but didn't impress early on, and is now a bench option. I consider him useful to have around, and I'm sure he will get games again at some stage.

Leadbitter looks OK for the level and can play anywhere down the right, which is useful. Another bench option so far, but I'm happy to use him.

McDonald is my regular left-sided CB and has been steady so far.

Rankine, for me, has no endearing qualities. I remember quite a few years ago he had a decent season IRL. I thought he might be useful, but he won't be. I offered him out for a nominal fee, and eventually for free and on loan, but there are no takers so far. I think that sums up his quality.

In addition to the two player/coaches released, I also let a NC player and YC player depart. I terminated the loan of Smith because (a) he isn't very good (b) we were paying 100% of his loan wages. One of the remaining players (Sharp) was then banished to the reserves because (a) he isn't very good (b) we have to pay £6k if he makes three league appearances.

That left me with just 14 names in the first team squad - including two 'keepers and the numerous players not good enough for this level. Every single one of them has a contract expiring after just one season too, which is at least good for getting rid of the deadwood if we survive one year. I actually offered every single player out for transfer and had no offers, even for free. Not very inspiring.

With no transfer budget available, but plenty of weaknesses, I was very busy looking at players that would be prepared to accept our terms. Unfortunately most of them weren't interested in joining, either permanently or on loan. Most clubs wouldn't loan the ones I liked because they wanted them to mix with better quality players. These players would often join other teams in our division, which shows exactly how poorly we are regarded now. A few clubs that would overlook our status demanded a wage contribution that my board couldn't support.

By the time the transfer window closed, I had managed to draft in seven players on free transfers (five were on NC terms at non-league level in England, one was on NC terms in Wales, and one was a free agent). I also brought in three loanees from FL clubs (one youngster from a Championship side, plus two from L2 clubs).

Every single player and member of staff is English, Welsh, or Scottish (just two of the latter actually), which is probably the only thing to be proud of. So, time to reveal the names...

Hereford_TransfersTransferHistory-2_zps8a34d6fb.png

This is a mixture of youth and experience. Taundry (24) and Hereford-born Pejic (30) are experienced football league defenders, and take captain and VC roles respectively. Marshall (24), Leslie (25) and Phillips (24) are midfielders who have also played enough games at that higher level. Two more midfielders (Jordan and Pinnock) plus a couple of the strikers (Bola and Palmer-Samuels) are all young and unproven - aged 19 or under. Finally, Darlington (24) is another striker only tested in the Welsh Premier League until now.

Hereford_TransfersTransferHistory_zpsb7da3553.png

All of these staff are decent for this level, but ex-Wales goalkeeper Paul Jones is the key one because I needed an Assistant Manager who was good on man management and would also be my GK coach. Some of the other names should be familiar too.

You're right. The squad has no star player, not even close to it. It took me ages to commit to this challenge, but I felt I could get rid of most within a year if I avoid the sack.

The board, mirroring real life, don't seem to care much about what happens. I think it was happy to avoid the drop, but may have said mid-table finish. Even when I was 19th, my job was secure or stable, so I think they know the task that lies ahead.

I'm a bit worried about the lack of goals, as all my strikers are inexperienced, so I've set up a bit cautiously to try and scrape enough points together - then I will try to expand if the plan succeeds. Seriously, players better than those recruited just weren't interested in joining.

What are your youth facilities like? Can't imagine you having money anytime soon, unless you can get a decent cup run going.

I'm back for my second stint with Havant & Waterlooville. Spent two seasons in the Conference South, now 3rd in the Premier after 14 games. Barely had enough wages for five players, until a takeover when the new board upped my wage budget by 3K.

We have basic youth facilities, basic youth training and basic youth recruitment. And basic training facilities.

I'm hoping that my policy of signing young and hungry players with potential (for free) in the first season, will help us improve steadily. I'll also be able to release any of the inherited squad at the end of season 1 - that's if I can't move them on in the winter window, of course. There's plenty that come in to this category, so it's good that I can get all of them off the books within my first year.

Although I'm not sure it's a flawless plan, the board did permit a small wage budget increase recently. That's allowed me to poach a couple more NC players from the non-league market, and they will be joining on New Years Day via free transfers.

The maximum wage I can allow any key player at the moment is £250 p/w - and if I don't offer that status it's £90 p/w, which obviously nobody of half-decent ability is interested in. On that note, I've been trying to grab Ross Allen from Guernsey for several months, but can only do it via p/ex. On several occasions he's accepted my low offer (probably fooled by being given key player status), which was boosted by some bonus clauses. Unfortunately, the only players I offered that Guernsey would take have both rejected their contracts, so it's impossible to finalise a deal.

I'll get a further update on later, and may (or may not) have some financial boosts via the FA Cup. As I write this, I'm still in the hat, having won away in the 4th Qualifying Round and surprisingly snatching a draw at a League 2 club in the 1st Round proper. Should we defy the odds to progress, we will have a home tie against a Skrill Premier side in Round 2.

Good luck with H & W...

A tip for you - after youth intake date comes and goes, scroll through every Conference North/South team. If they have they received a hot prospect, they will invariably be listed as the club's "key player". I've shortlisted a lot of prospects this way.

Anyway, thought I'd post my current squad too. Third season of the game, and first in the Conference Prem, and we sit 2nd after 18 games:

dnBFbp4.jpg

Key players as follows...

Ben Chorley - Signed as a free agent and immediately installed as captain. Has been my best defender so far with a 7.14 rating.

Kieron Forbes - Managed to get him for a bargain £500 a week. My midfield playmaker.

Brian Dutton - Sits between midfield and a back four as a ball winner. We've only conceded 11 times in 18 league matches.

Jamie Smith - Right winger, who consistently beats a man and was our player of the year last season.

Junior Morais - On loan from Wycombe and ideal for the false nine role in my tactic.

Have got £1,100 per week left over in wages, but am leaving this for intake day to see if I can poach a prospect from somewhere.

Archived