FM14: The Skrill Premier, North & South thread

CityAndColour

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to sign Udoh again for a third loan spell. Unfortunately Stevenage keep giving him one year contracts so I haven't had the chance to try and sign him on a free yet.

Also got probably the worst kind of takeover - one by the supporters' trust. Means no investment of course and also that they probably won't ever look to sell again.

I don't want a tycoon as I like to build up from the lower leagues realistically, but some investment would be nice.

Then again being a supporters' trust, maybe they would be more willing to improve junior coaching and youth facilities?

Guest El Payaso

52e0fac246005.jpg

Good mix of illogical results for start of the season. The team seemed solid enough against Wycombe, lead the game 1-0 and shots 11-1 for us and on 93rd minute Dion Conroy scored his debut goal with a header to own goal.

After that another 'great' debut, this time for Sørensen... 6 shots on target and 5 of them were scored.

Then two solid wins even though Notts County once again managed to exploit our left flank which has been the worst part of my team so far. This time Pelosi was on and was easily passed down the byline. Luckily we got one goal more and it sealed the deal.

Then once again two illogical results; dominated against weak Coventry and lead 1-0 at the break just to see a direct free-kick and penalty scored. I've now seen two penalties hit straight at the keeper and yet he's doing nothing to stop them. :D

Then we were 'lucky' against strong Birmingham... Absolutely dominated and a big mistake from Pelosi gave them the lead at 62 minutes. Had to try something more attacking and managed to pull back with Alfie Crooks' wonder pass to Danny Mayor. Teixeira was through on goal in 92nd minute but Isaiah Osbourne made a clever foul to award us only a free-kick which was shot to the crowd by Mayor.

52e0fac264bc1.jpg

Guest El Payaso

52e2146481052.jpg

Something seems to be badly wrong with the tactics screen as I went to the Bury-game with new formation (4-4-1-1) and basically lost the Leyton Orient-game when going back to 4-5-1 and didn't notice that it had magically changed my roles and duties to match with that 4-4-1-1 so my midfield didn't support the attack at all...

Otherwise decent month. We're not at our best yet but it usually takes some time to get there. Had some problems with injuries but was glad to see Kerr coming back to solid my defence in that Dag & Red-game. Crooks seems to be losing his scoring form so Sinclair will get his chance in next month.

52e21464960ad.jpg

Tutorings seem to go nicely this season even though Pelosi didn't learn a thing from Smith. Roger Kerr is now fairly professional and Hughes is developing really well both as a player and mentally.

First game of the new season and BANG Doherty nets a superb hat trick! I'm now playing him as a supporting Target Man, maybe this is his best roll? Can I hold onto him though?!

So, since I posted this, Doherty has continued scoring, but we lost the next 3 games! The fixture list has not been kind to us, and our semi-professional status is showing through whenever we have a mid-week game, the players are dead on their feet. However, it's a young squad so I'm not massively surprised, although the manner of our defeats is frustrating. I'm just hoping this slump doesn't stick otherwise we're in trouble. It's a bit disappointing as 4-1-3-2 worked so well at the end of last season and the first game this season, but now appears to have fallen apart for no reason at all. The defence just looks so shaky now and it's something I always prided myself on!

So six wins in a row leaves us top by four points after 15 games, with a 10-3-2 record. In this stretch I have been invited to interview for probably the three biggest jobs in the division (Southend, Luton and Cambridge) and play rock bottom Margate (4 points from a possible 45) next. What odds on losing that?

I can also confirm having a supporters' trust in charge doesn't make board requests easier at all. I've had three requests for junior coaching improvement and a proposed wage budget increase flat out rejected. At least the previous chairman granted me stuff.

Cheers again C & C. I'm not there yet, but will definitely pick a team from one of these leagues in the future.
lincoln looks good , no pressure , wrexham the team for me , can i be a feeder club ? whats best way to get them bucks ? playing big teams in friendly or having the seating capacity

Cup runs are always a good source of income but they require luck too.

It's a lot harder to organise money-spinning friendlies too which is more realistic. It's almost impossible to make money outside the Prem in real life and I think the game reflects this.

Guest El Payaso

52e3dfbae404e.jpg

The results flattered our opponents in October. The best game of the season came into right place when we beat Brighton away from home. They didn't really produce anything but suddenly managed to score two with mistakes from Conroy. A real walking disaster this boy is.

52e3dfbaf17ab.jpg

Financially we aren't doing well at all but what can you expect when no-one really wants to buy my players. They've been interested for years but never making a single bid. I would certainly consider those offers if I got one for Kerr, Boon or Marsden... These kind of Cup runs don't help either. Absolutely horrific performance against Skrill Premier side. I can't believe how soft my experienced players were inside our own penalty area. Basically every set play once again was a danger... Really not impressed with my midfielders' performance there either; two straight reds in first half and we were struggling after that. Tried to keep it tight at the back after everytime we got the equalizer but when you have bunch of sheeps in defence; this is the result. As Welling-manager, I wouldn't be impressed about the defending either.

52e3dfbb0b395.jpg

Well now I'm able to consentrate in the league instead.

52e3dfbae404e.jpg

The results flattered our opponents in October. The best game of the season came into right place when we beat Brighton away from home. They didn't really produce anything but suddenly managed to score two with mistakes from Conroy. A real walking disaster this boy is.

52e3dfbaf17ab.jpg

Financially we aren't doing well at all but what can you expect when no-one really wants to buy my players. They've been interested for years but never making a single bid. I would certainly consider those offers if I got one for Kerr, Boon or Marsden... These kind of Cup runs don't help either. Absolutely horrific performance against Skrill Premier side. I can't believe how soft my experienced players were inside our own penalty area. Basically every set play once again was a danger... Really not impressed with my midfielders' performance there either; two straight reds in first half and we were struggling after that. Tried to keep it tight at the back after everytime we got the equalizer but when you have bunch of sheeps in defence; this is the result. As Welling-manager, I wouldn't be impressed about the defending either.

52e3dfbb0b395.jpg

Well now I'm able to consentrate in the league instead.

El Payaso could you post your tactic please? It seems to be really successful and I would like to know what shape an mentality you use to get three straight promotions, struggling massively with tactics myself so seeing yours would be a great help.

Did you get Jerome Sinclair on loan or permanently? I've seen him turn out beastly in some saves.

As predicted lost 0-5 at City, but it brought in £739,258 in gate receipts, which should sort the club out financially for the next couple of years at least.

Guest El Payaso
El Payaso could you post your tactic please?
I think that you can find much better tactics if you want to download one. :) Mine is just a basic 4-5-1 that I vary a lot. Supporting full-backs, central defender and ball playing defender ©, anchor man, CM (S) and CM (A), attacking wingers and DLF (S). Main instructions are shorter passing, pass into space, run at defence and lower tempo. I usually use counter because it's really versatile mentality. Normally balanced, when defending fluid.

I think that the bigger role in my success is the fact that I pay attention to every game that we play and focus on things like opposition instructions instead of giving my assistant to do that for me.

Did you get Jerome Sinclair on loan or permanently? I've seen him turn out beastly in some saves.
He's on a season long loan from Liverpool as I needed a better back up for Crooks than Wes York. Seems to be really good and Liverpool's manager Spalletti wants me to play him more than I currently am.

just got david healy on a free for alfreton town :)

Nickname your team 'Northern Ireland' and he'll score for fun.

Alfreton are a good challenge though - vastly overachieving in real life despite reverting to part time status in the summer.

He's on a season long loan from Liverpool as I needed a better back up for Crooks than Wes York. Seems to be really good and Liverpool's manager Spalletti wants me to play him more than I currently am.

Here is how someone in the Liverpool thread developed him:

JeromeSinclair_OverviewProfile_zpsedd7e5c4.png

Guest El Payaso
Here is how someone in the Liverpool thread developed him:

Here he is at the start of the season for me:

52dfc5747d0c8.jpg

He has developed quite a bit though.

SQCsXXY.jpg

2016/17 review - Conference Premier

League table

Graph

Squad

Transfers

We ended up fourth and losing 3-4 to Luton in the playoff semis, but it could have been a lot more. An early streak of eight league wins in a row had us comfortably top in November, before we came back to the pack. Realistically it was probably more regressing to the mean, as we had far from the best squad in the division, and only one win in ten leading into the playoffs was not any sort of promotion-worthy form.

The FA Cup was where it was at. After a 2-2 home draw with Colchester in the second round, the draw came out and the winner of the replay would get Manchester City away. We held tight away and grabbed the winner in the last ten minutes, setting up a third round windfall that ended up convincing the board to go professional at the end of the season.

---

Key players

Stevenage loanee Daniel Udoh came back for a third stint, and his 27 goals entrenched him as a favourite son of the club. He is finally unattached too but wants far too much money so it doesn't look a viable option. New captain Jack Parkinson was again our best defender, and he was ably supported by new signing Clovis Kamdjo.

---

Career progress

2013/14 - Conference South - 5th (lost in playoff semis)

2014/15 - Conference South - 1st (promoted as champions)

2015/15 - Conference Premier - 9th (FA Trophy semi-finalists)

2016/17 - Conference Premier - 4th (lost in playoff semis, turned professional)

Guest El Payaso

52e7acd9ba21d.jpg

I was looking for our attacking play to turn better but it's gone worse. After that Southend-win; zero goals from open play for us. Had a bit of problem with injuries and international call-ups also... But we're still there battling for the promotion. Once again tight clash ahead of us at the start of December where we travel to face Leeds United. Birmingham already sacked their manager and they've got a new one; Mark Hughes. It's going to be interesting to see really how badly they are able to underperform.

52e7acd9d7b0f.jpg

14vecn.jpg

In all my years playing lower league FM, this is the first time I've ever drawn a Prem side away in the FA Cup.

Not sure what the gate will be but I'm guessing it will bring in around £5-600K?

I'm playing as Chelmsford City, currently in league 2, in my previous season in the Skrill Premier I drew Arsenal away in the 3rd round, duly hammered 5-1 but raked in £900k in gate revenue. Set me up nicley for this season in terms of getting a decent transfer and wage budget.

Bit of an update on Doherty for you. He has started to really play well now after last season being slightly below par. Clubs are still watching him but no offers yet which I find a bit strange! Changing to a 4-5-1 formation (with two wingers) has certainly helped him dominate much more!

Despite his form we've flattered to deceive in the league this season. We're banging in more goals, but our defence is much more shaky too! This has lead to some very inconsistent performances. I actually think we've been much better than last season, but have just stayed rooted to 19th place. The division is not as close unfortunately as it was, so unless we put an amazing run together the playoffs are out of reach again, and maybe even beating our 13th place last season. Weirdly I do actually think we are better though, and have beaten some bigger teams. This includes a run to the Semi's of the FA Trophy and a very winnable tie versus Southport to come.

Doherty2017.png

DohertyStats2016-20172-1.png

Table2017.png

Decided to splash the cash a bit, after my board gave me a reasonable transfer budget upon turning professional...

vobujk.jpg

The deal in total was £130K but a lot of that will be paid over 48 months. My assistant (16 JPA) feels he could be a good Prem player so I think it's worth the investment, even if it has pushed me quite a bit over the wage budget. His personality is 'fairly professional' too which should aid his development.

Guest El Payaso
Decided to splash the cash a bit, after my board gave me a reasonable transfer budget upon turning professional...

The deal in total was £130K but a lot of that will be paid over 48 months. My assistant (16 JPA) feels he could be a good Prem player so I think it's worth the investment, even if it has pushed me quite a bit over the wage budget. His personality is 'fairly professional' too which should aid his development.

Nice; a Finnish talent. Might be the new Mikael Forssell. :) One of my favorite players ever and the biggest reason why I started watch Premierleague football when I was a kid and the main reason why I started to support Chelsea in 1998.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsNRx46vaoo

52e8f79798aaa.jpg

Doing well at the moment.

52e8f797af9d2.jpg

Financially, not:

52e90514c11b5.jpg

Well Somehow I kept Maidenhead up again in my 4th season in charge! Luckily the standard of the league was much worse this season which meant we got away with it. If I had this points total last season we would have been dead in the water.

Had a very bizarre run of results, losing at home 0-3, 0-3, 0-4 but winning away at the top clubs! No idea why this was happening. Doherty came back from a two month lay off and saved us really. Very disappointingly went out of the FA Trophy in the semi 5-4 on aggregate to Southport, having had victory in our grasp we threw it away in extra time via a mistake and then a dubious pen.

My plan for next season is to rebuild again, we have some good youngsters but they're not quite there yet. We also need to get the finances sorted so I'm going to have to let a few people go and arrange some big money friendlies. I also reluctantly brought out a 30% sell on clause I'd arranged when I sold a very promising youngster to Shrewsbury. We desperately needed the 60K.

Guest El Payaso
I remember Forssell being an absolutely lethal finisher who couldn't stay on the park.
Yeah, he had 17 goals in the Premier league in his best season. Skillfull guy who was able to score both with head and feet. He's now close to become the best goalscorer in the national team. Litmanen hasn't retired yet though. :D

52ea431d3e71d.jpg

January really showed everybody that we're real deal this season. Once again huge problems with injuries but we're enjoying somekind of peak in our form. February starts with huge game when we have a home game against Brighton.

52ea431d4ba84.jpg

Birmingham are close to achieving second consecutive relegation. What are you doing Mark Hughes?

Just one question guys.....I am currently in my third season with Bromley (now in Skrill premiere...last though having big problems all of a sudden) and am wondering about one thing.

Before (this is 4-5 years ago) I could easilly go in U18 teams all over the world and I would find a player or two willing to join my side, but now in FM2014 I am looking for 3 seasons and am yet to find one player willing to come to my club...bug or no????

I mean I am not talking about U18 England, Germany, Italy etc.....but am talking about Luxemburg, San Marino, Albania....etc?????

Yeah, he had 17 goals in the Premier league in his best season. Skillfull guy who was able to score both with head and feet. He's now close to become the best goalscorer in the national team. Litmanen hasn't retired yet though. :D

52ea431d3e71d.jpg

January really showed everybody that we're real deal this season. Once again huge problems with injuries but we're enjoying somekind of peak in our form. February starts with huge game when we have a home game against Brighton.

52ea431d4ba84.jpg

Birmingham are close to achieving second consecutive relegation. What are you doing Mark Hughes?

That could give me nightmares.

Just one question guys.....I am currently in my third season with Bromley (now in Skrill premiere...last though having big problems all of a sudden) and am wondering about one thing.

Before (this is 4-5 years ago) I could easilly go in U18 teams all over the world and I would find a player or two willing to join my side, but now in FM2014 I am looking for 3 seasons and am yet to find one player willing to come to my club...bug or no????

I mean I am not talking about U18 England, Germany, Italy etc.....but am talking about Luxemburg, San Marino, Albania....etc?????

It's much harder to get overseas players to join non-league clubs, especially if you can only offer part time contracts. I think this is more realistic to be honest.

Ever with getting Salmela I had to offer him a full time deal, a club record in wages and a match highest earner clause, as I got the "I'm not that interested in joining you" message.

It's much harder to get overseas players to join non-league clubs, especially if you can only offer part time contracts. I think this is more realistic to be honest.

Ever with getting Salmela I had to offer him a full time deal, a club record in wages and a match highest earner clause, as I got the "I'm not that interested in joining you" message.

I have to disagree on this....for me it is not realistic to find some "crap" player from (for instance) Azerbaijan who has no club and to offer him 700 euro per week and he refuses it.....not realistic in my book. Offcourse I am not talking about one specific case but rather every single player i found so far....has to be more that 100

Sorry acwatfordunited, I missed your screenshot of Doherty. Can certainly see why bigger clubs are after him, he looks tremendous.

Yeah he is being watched, but at 19 I'm still surprised no one has come in for him yet, well technically that's not correct! I made a transfer mistake. Needing the money I tried to subtly offer him for sale. Only Liverpool made an offer at 40K, with no clauses, non negotiable. I thought it was a disgrace so rejected, and thus Doherty is now unsettled. However, I am slowly building back our relationship in pre-season, so maybe it will be ok!

It's just so hard to try and find good free transfer youngsters to sign who won't break the bank! I also really need a bit of experience, especially at Centre Back, but this too is difficult. Maybe my ambition should be to get to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and hope for a big money away day. Then like CityAndColour the board might make us Professional! Especially after two years of very average Skrill Premier finishes. Maybe they might realise then being Professional is the way forward? Who knows?

Interestingly, we have about 3 or 4 youngsters in the squad who are also touted to be Premier League stars; however, their stats at the moment do not reflect this potential. I really need them to develop, but with our facilities and Semi-Pro status I really fear they may not see their true potential.

Guest El Payaso

52ebc2cc0ea70.jpg

Doing well, still. Brilliant win over Brighton, they had loads of injuries and they haven't really built the squad properly so they had about 2-3 crappy 16 and 17-year-olds in their squad and they couldn't challenge us. I made a big mistake there against Brentford and gave a debut to my new goalkeeper who was lacking match fitness, conceded three out of three and had to sub him at half time. Luckily we got the draw there.

52ebc2cc24259.jpg

Guest El Payaso

52ecfdf4812b2.jpg

End of the season was horrific in terms of defending but we managed to beat two good teams and yes, we are promoted:

52ecfdf497dee.jpg

Fairly easy season once again and now we'll face a real challenge in the Championship. I've been given £64k per week in wages and that's almost half bigger than I had in League 1. We should do fine with that...

Birmingham survived as they won their last game of the season.

52ed448c647c6.jpg

52ed448c6f35d.jpg

So Yeovil will be up too.

52ed448c7e9d9.jpg

Jack was brilliant for us in this season and he has the potential to play in Premierleague in the future. He just sealed a new contract with us and will be a key in the Championship, brilliant player.

Nice work - how are your newgens looking El Payaso?

The foreign invasion continues at Dorchester...

16lmpvn.jpg

My board gave me a whopping £55K for transfers and an extra £7K in wages come January, allowing me to bring in this guy for just £75K. My coaches feel he would be a leading star for most League One sides, and has the potential to be a good EPL midfielder.

Archived