FM14: The Skrill Premier, North & South thread

CityAndColour

That's one of the lower budgets I'd say - at Havant I had double that. However if you go into the team stats for the division, you can sort by salary per annum which would give you a better idea.

42892497bd01d3fc8ae482c74ba0bc79.png

Sitting 18th in the salary per annum which is nice to see when you are doing quite well. Amazing when you look at the likes of Eastleigh. £1.05M !!! :eek:

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same issue with CMs even when I boss games - I'd say it's related to the current match ratings issues.

On FM I play as follows, home and away:

2w2exrq.jpg

This is a tactic I dreamt up on FM13 when I was having one of those saves where nothing seemed to work, and it immediately started to dominate. It's worked equally well on FM14, although I've had to use shouts to capture the same team instructions that are no longer available. The right forward is usually a DLF support (I play Elder as a targetman as he is a handful in the air), and I take off 'hassle opponents' and 'high tempo' when trying to close out a match.

In real life I'm a sucker for a classical 4-4-2 with wingers, but don't get any enjoyment out of playing that in the game for some reason.

And as for Eastleigh, you can see why they quickly get into financial difficulties if you don't get them into the Football League quickly.

Nice! I really like that formation and have always wanted to try it. When Watford started using it under Zola in the Championship it was interesting watching them play, it seems to cover all areas of the pitch and you can create a strike partnership which I miss HUGELY with only 1 upfront.

I like to see 4-4-2 is one of your favourites in real life, I'm also a huge fan of this and I hate how it's "gone out of fashion" in the Premier League and other top European leagues. I know football changes all the time but it's a great formation which still works. Look at Newcastle, since changing to a 4-4-2 of late they have won 3 on the bounce.

Omar Bogle won the top scorer award in my Stockport save too, well over 30 goals for the year. He's clearly a top Conference N/S striker.

As for my progress, I've only just got through pre-season so I'll be starting the Skrill Premier tonight when I'm home from work. Quite a few signings and departures and according to the squad comparison thing I'm still towards the lower end of mid-table player-wise. My real coup for the off-season was snapping up Aaron McCarey, Wolves' 3rd choice keeper, who was released on a free - I'm a Wolves supporter so I had Wolves news popping up on my feed and saw he'd been released. So I thought, what the hell, I'll put in a cheeky bid. And he came! I couldn't believe it but I now have comfortably the best keeper in the league, so I'm not gonna argue. Assuming I have a good season and can renew his contract I'll be set right up to League 1 level in goal now.

Kenny Jackett is butchering Wolves though :( they didn't even make the League One playoffs yet he managed to get a new contract...

It's always good to read this thread. Even though I haven't started properly in FM14, I'm taking plenty of notice and picking up good info from you guys. It's also interesting to see those budgets, food for thought there.

Has anybody seen much form out of Kyle Vassell in game? I wonder if his FM14 performances would mirror what Peterborough think they have seen in him?

@ Apeth88, that's also a great guide you made for Solihull Moors.

I quite like Walker's stats, you can't go far wrong with teamwork/workrate/decisions and agility in a CM.

Obviously Charlton agree, as they have come in with this on the final day of the window:

K3B5sCs.jpg

GKqBKUp.jpg

They initially asked for him on a free with a 30% of next profit clause, but with Aberdeen also interested and it being deadline day, I managed to squeeze £60K up front and another £60K if he makes ten league appearances, which I am pretty happy with as I don't think he would have developed enough at my level. He gets the chance to join a Championship club and we get a good deal financially, so win win.

Just partook in my first job interview, at Salisbury City in the same division. The job actually interested me, but after accepting my proposed philosophy of bringing players through the youth system, they disagreed with me over actually improving their youth facilities, and thus I was ruled out.

Halfway point of our first season after promotion:

dfu1kw.jpg

Very happy with this, given we didn't add a lot of players in the off-season. In the last two seasons 53 and 47 points has been enough to avoid the drop, so another 20 and we should be safe.

My form since the update:

2n9ykno.jpg

From this I can conclude that we'll get promoted if we play the rest of our games away, and relegated if we play them all at home.

Just approaching the halfway point in the Skrill Premier with Stockport. It's been a cracking season so far, undefeated right through to December and 9 points clear at the top. Suddenly I've started dropping points though. Last away game was a 4-3 loss, our first of the season, to lowly Boreham Wood. This latest match was extremely frustrating, especially since it was probably the best my team's played this whole season. We tore them to shreds but just couldn't make the breakthrough.

Thus far the star players have been:

Obi Anoruo - top scorer with 18 in 24. I wasn't sure about signing him given his 6 in Finishing but he's quick and good at dribbling for the division. My scouts raved about him so I picked him up for free, and I'm glad I did now!

Aaron McCarey - best keeper in the league by a mile, brings a real sense of calm otherwise lacking in the back line.

Duane Courtney - new captain and solid as a rock.

James Tunnicliffe - wasn't even in the team as I thought this was above his level but I subbed him in for Chris Todd (see below) and he's performed magnificently, averaging almost 7.5 in 15 games.

Jonathan Wafula - signed as a free agent as backup for Adriano Moke but he's really stepped up and is first choice RCM now.

Elliot Durrell - the star man, again. Average rating of about 7.6, 9 goals and 16 assists in 25 games. Now making noises about joining a bigger club but I've told him to stay and help the club develop. I really need to get promoted now!

Not much else to report, other than the fact I did it again and assigned totally the wrong man as my captain. I can't stress enough, DO NOT SIGN Chris Todd. He's 33 with Leadership and Determination both at 15, so the perfect captaincy candidate. Or so I thought. He started off well scoring a few from corners (not even the near-post exploit kind, I score very few of those) but when he doesn't score his rating is rarely above 5.9. He's the worst kind of donkey, and gives away a penalty or gets clumsily sent off in nearly every game he plays. Avoid at all costs.

EDIT: Here's Elliot Durrell's stats. Fast becoming one of my favourite ever FM discoveries. Like Donal McDermott on FM11.

2015/16 review - Havant & Waterlooville - Skrill Premier

1112.png

League table

Graph

Squad

Transfers

8th probably flattered us in the end, but we were certainly worthy of a top half finish in what was quite a congested league for the most part. In fact we were 5th with six games to go, however lost our next four to tumble right out of playoff contention, although winning our last two at least cemented a top ten finish.

Signing Charlie O'Loughlin on a free from Dover in the January window really strengthened us defensively, while Nathan Elder (21 goals and 11 assists) and Mario Noto (12 goals and 16 assists) were our best players in an attacking sense.

iemhlg.jpg

Delighted with this start to be honest, given the squad is probably slightly weaker than last season, and we've been absolutely savaged by red cards (three already, all three-game suspensions) and injuries (five so far, all 4-6 weeks) and have been forced to use some youth players who are clearly not up to standard yet.

Also, has anyone ever experienced a player willing to come on trial but not actually willing to discuss a contract? Derby have released a handy looking Welsh newgen striker, who has had two separate trial periods with us, but when I go to offer a contract he won't even discuss.

Was struggling with long balls over the top of my defence, and given I like to press up I didn't want to drop my line too deep. Had a read of a thread about roles and combinations in the tactics forum, and changed my back three to cover, stopper, cover. Next match, away to Stockport...

ot296x.jpg

Crazy stuff. 10 of our 12 shots were on target and seven of them were clear cut chances. Meanwhile, Stockport didn't even register a chance of note until one of those annoying penalties at the end (set piece, ball floated in, penalty plucked from somewhere). Will be interesting to see if it was just a one off or if it really will solve my issue with long balls.

Fitchett got a perfect 10 rating, while I signed former Wrexham centre-half Martin Riley on a free just before this match.

Halfway point, and a quite stunning season so far...

9scuip.jpg

Despite leading the league in both yellows and reds (and likely injuries too), we've been absolutely superb, scoring 10 more goals than anyone else in the division with a squad that I thought would be closer to relegation than promotion.

We've been led by our two 30-somethings, with big Nathan Elder leading the division in both goals (17) and assists (13), and Mario Noto in the hole providing 11 goals and 11 assists. Elder has also won three of the four POTM awards, while Dan Flitchett is third in the scoring charts with 14 strikes.

I expect we'll drop off at some point but it's nice to see a few tactical tweaks I made since the update really start to pay off.

Also on a game with Stockport... Carney and Jevons have been my issues, technically the best players but only have a good game 1 in 3. Sitting 1 point clear at the top after 15 so pretty happy, but its been tough with injuries.. I went 3 games without winning when Tuncliffe was injured (by far my best defender)

My best signing... Young right mid called Villums. Was desperately short of a right midfielder/winger to start with!

Nice work, Jordan Villums is currently transfer-listed at Mansfield in my game and looks handy - unfortunately I don't play with wingers.

Anyway...

nxtfg8.jpg

Assuming he gets the standard extra two for violent conduct, that will be FOURTEEN matches missed through suspension by mid-December. Can anyone beat that?

He is also my best defender, so debating whether to get rid of him in January or wait for the inevitable hotfix for this issue.

Had one year establishing ourselves in League Two, finishing 1 point off the playoff places. The following year we stormed to the League Two title and we've now started quite well in League One. The Irish and Welsh leagues really are full of potential bargains, some of them look like they could develop into really good players.

Did the same in League one, had 1 year just outside of the playoffs and then stormed the league the following year. Worth checking big clubs all over the world for some potential loan signings. Had a croatian winger on loan from Dinamo for 3 years in a row now.

I'm at work so can't currently post any images, but I'll do a rough-and-ready review of my second season as Stockport manager.

We won the Skrill Premier title by some 20 points - had the same ebb and flow of form as in the Skrill North where form and quality of football were both fairly sketchy until December, at which point the team suddenly kicked on and couldn't lose. We ended up losing only 3 games all season and racked up over 100 points, scoring over 100 goals in the process and conceding about 40-45.

Aaron McCarey was solid as a rock in goal, notching about 20 clean sheets over the season. I released Chris Todd and signed a few new centre halves in January, namely Maxime Blanchard, Gaz Dean and Jack Parkinson, who between them also cover the right back and centre midfield (defend role) positions. All on free transfers, which is always nice. Blanchard immediately stepped in alongside Duane Courtney, my new captain, and we were nice and solid for a good few months.

I'd previously been rotating Adriano Moke and Jonathan Wafula in the RCM (support) position since both had performed well, but eventually I decided I wanted to fit both in and put Wafula in the LCM (defend) slot alongside Moke. We suddenly started scoring a lot more goals, including another couple of last-gasp winners from Moke who really is a cracking all-round player.

Elliot Durrell continued to amaze on the right wing, racking up 16 goals and 29 assists for the season in all competitions and picking up the Skrill Premier player of the season award with an average rating of about 7.5-odd. He's now worth over £100k, phenomenal for a non-league player. Halfway through the season he made noises about joining a bigger club but I promised him promotion and he quietened down, even signing a new contract after I delivered on my promise.

On the left wing, Adam Rundle did a good steady job despite middling stats - I'd planned to continue with Conal Platt on the left and to use Rundle as cover but Platt did ankle ligaments in pre-season and Rundle performed well when given his chance, picking up 8 goals and a handful of assists for the season.

Up front Obi Anoruo top-scored with 23 for the season, but he never really nailed down the AF slot due to inconsistency. He'd get a brace or a hat-trick one game and then fail to score for the next 3. I got fed up with him eventually. I bought Tom Elliot near the summer transfer deadline since he'd scored 3 in 4 for Cambridge at the start of the season (and he terrorised my defence when we played each other early on). After a spell out injured he came in and held down the DLF (S) role for the first half of the season, then moved into the AF (A) role for the remainder. Unsurprisingly he scored more as an AF, ending up with 17 league goals, but he was steady and consistent wherever he was played. Highly recommended.

My backup strikers, Rhys Turner and Jordan Hugill, picked up a good few goals between them.

I should also mention, I won the FA Trophy! We were brilliant throughout and deservedly pipped Dartford 1-0 at Wembley, Anoruo getting the winner. Our reputation immediately jumped to Regional, which I'd been awaiting for a long time. I also won manager of the year (having been predicted to finish 23rd).

So, we're back in the Football League and predicted to finish 19th this time. Interesting that we're predicted to avoid relegation. There's been a fair few changes in the summer, with plenty of players released to free up precious wage allowance (the new FFP rules are pretty harsh!). I've ended up with the highest wage bill in the league anyway, but I'm fairly optimistic about the season ahead. Having upgraded my training facilities, my tactics are nearly 100% fluid before the first game of the season (it took till mid-December to get 100% on all 3 tactics last year) so hopefully when my team gels in a couple of months' time I'll be able to put a good campaign together. I'm aiming for top half (despite telling my board I just want to consolidate this year since there was no wage bill increase for higher ambitions) with an eye on pushing for promotion or at least the playoffs.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my new signings. I've signed 8 new players:

- Stephen Darby (RB)

- Rob Edwards (CB)

- Ben Davies (RM/LM)

- Aaron Spear (CF)

- Joe Jacobson (LB)

- Mark Randall (CM)

- An Irish newgen striker whose name I've forgotten

- A left winger whose name I've forgotten - he's from somewhere in Africa if memory serves, very quick

Nice updates guys, enjoyable reading.

@ CityAndColour: Excellent progress! Is the red card issue just affecting lower leagues, is it an acknowledged bug?

@ The Art Of Drowning: Good to see your talent pool is delivering. Which (real) players would you highlight as your best signings?

@ Sammuthegreat: Great report and congrats. I took Wafula on loan to Hayes & Yeading in FM13, he was quite reliable for me in BSS/BSP. I had Jacobson at Shrewsbury in my FM14 test save, he has good stats for L2 level (was let down by the full-back bug on my game).

@ keeper tom and canaryboxhead: Best of luck in your season challenges.

Yeah I was surprised at how well my midfield coped with Wafula as the defence-minded CM. Since he and Moke have Tackling stats of 4 and 5 respectively I'd expected the opposition to walk through the centre of my team, but they didn't. Probably had something to do with how well my team keeps the ball, averaging around 60% possession.

Is there a League 2 thread? Just realised I no longer qualify to post in this thread :(

@ The Art Of Drowning: Good to see your talent pool is delivering. Which (real) players would you highlight as your best signings?

Most of my team now are regens but without a doubt Gary Martin is our star signing. Signed in season 1 for pretty much all of our budget (most over 48 months) and he is still banging them in. Think he'll be first choice in The Championship too. I'll post my transfers when I get in later.

Finally got a decent non-league youth intake, with three 4.5-5 star prospects. Pick of the bunch was this fella...

e0rk3q.jpg

He doesn't look like much, but physically he is already very good for 15, he can already lay a tackle and a lot of his attributes are in the 7-9 range. I've currently got him training as a DLP, and being tutored by someone with a resolute personality and 17 determination.

His low attributes are for flair, dribbling, off the ball, heading and long throws (and obviously strength given his age), attributes which aren't too important if he is going to evolve into a defensive-minded central midfielder.

Here he is after two years of development:

2mfjd5y.jpg

He is currently listed as a key player, so I won't be able to tutor him any more, and his development will come purely from first team football. Hopefully we can get promoted within the next year or two so he still has time to benefit from full time training. He has just come back from a torn groin muscle too which would explain the physical decrease.

He fills the DLP role in my formation, and while his average ratings aren't anything spectacular (mainly because he doesn't weigh in with many goals or assists), he is a bit of a Leon Britton type of player for the side. Plenty of passes completed at a good %, and it's really noticeable when he doesn't play.

Had my junior coaching upgraded to a 'good' level in pre-season, and have been rewarded with an outstanding intake come March:

2Mdeu1V.jpg

Kevin Povey

Tim Surey

Michael Tarver

Surey in particular should be interesting given I have already set competition records for poor discipline in both the league and the FA Trophy this season.

0yvNZDf.jpg

The fairytale season continues. Despite scoring within the first 30 seconds, we were well and truly under the cosh for much of the first hour, and in truth were lucky not to be a few behind at the break. Fearing defeat anyway I gave a harsh team talk, which seemed to have the desired effect.

Talisman Nathan Elder continued his incredible campaign, giving us the lead again with his 34th goal of the season, then dished off his 22nd assist just two minutes later. They pulled one back and we slowed the tempo right down, and it was Mario Noto who scored a stunning fourth to take the trophy for the first time in the club's history.

We did well to even get to the final, given we had two men sent off in the first leg of the semi at Fleetwood (and somehow gained a 1-1 draw), and then were 0-2 down after seven minutes in the second leg.

Can we add a second Wembley visit and promotion in a few weeks' time?

Congrats CityAndColour! Has your reputation jumped up a level?

Glad to hear I can still post in here, for the time being anyway. From memory I'm 7 games into the season in League 2 and I'm up in 2nd, the table's pretty jam packed though so 2nd's pretty flattering since I've dropped quite a few points already. I'm unbeaten as yet but I've drawn 4 as well. Thus far my defence has been tight-ish, which is good, but goals have been fairly hard to come by. The last two games have resulted in ground-out 1-0 wins, which have bumped me up the table a fair way although they were pretty nervy. Most recent result was a 1-0 win away at Pompey though, good result as they're predicted to come 2nd.

I also won away at Sheffield United in the first round of the League Cup - we went down to 10 men on about 80 minutes but held on for a 1-1 draw and won on penalties despite resting most of the first team. One hell of a result in the end. We went down 2-0 at Watford in the 2nd round but I was proud of the lads anyway.

The season so far has been fairly similar to the past few, which is to say fairly similar to the way I handle the early stages of most seasons when it's my first year in a new league - lots of new faces, a fairly indifferent pre-season, plenty of chopping and changing of lineups and plenty of switching to defensive formations to grind out results. I've tweaked my backup 4-5-1 formation since I'm now actually using it far more often - in the last two seasons I've been using 4-4-2 almost exclusively, and I've manually altered the formation when I've needed to shut up shop or go for broke. This season I've decided that when I need to tighten up I'll auto-switch to my ready-made (and already practiced by my team) 4-5-1. After all that's the whole idea behind preparing 3 formations!

My results in the league so far have been 1-1 (h), 1-1 (a), 3-0 (h), 0-0 (h), 3-3 (a), 1-0 (h) and 1-0 (a). Apart from that anomalous 3-3 the defence has been nice and tight and I've only conceded 1 goal at home - for the most part when I don't concede, I win. All good signs. I've been dominating possession almost as much this season as well, more than I'd anticipated. So in all the early signs are promising and I think the players I've kept have stepped up to this level nicely alongside the players I've brought in.

Talking of the players, this is my first team at the moment, along with how they've fared in their first few games:

GK: Aaron McCarey - easily good enough for this level, he's had a solid start. No worries at all.

RB: Stephen Darby - slightly iffy performances but can't argue with his part in several early clean sheets.

RCB: Rob Edwards - excellent so far and has popped up with a couple of goals already. One bad performance in the 3-3 draw.

LCB: Jack Parkinson - solid from my new captain who also steps into DM when needed.

LB: Joe Jacobson - solid, no real slip-ups but admittedly nothing spectacular as yet either.

RM: Elliot Durrell - as ever, excellent. 2 goals and 3 assists already. Beats his man less easily at this level but set piece delivery is as good as before. 7.6 average rating. The man's a genius.

RCM: Jonathan Wafula - solid in a BBM role as before. He also covers the defensive CM slot and the right wing. Mark Randall has flattered to deceive thus far so Wafula has kept his place.

LCM: Ladjie Sokouna - still my most consistent midfield destroyer as I failed to bring in a new DM in the summer (and don't have the wages left over anyway).

LM: Charles Banya - a revelation so far. Quick, direct and has a good cross on him. Already 2 goals and an assist, and a 7.5 average rating.

RCF: Tom Elliot - moved to the AF slot, he's taken over the number 9 shirt from Delroy Facey (released on a free), scored 3 and looked a real handful. Shown he's definitely good enough to lead the line at this level and he has some more developing to do.

LCF: Aaron Spear - picked up a couple of injuries so he's not had a consistent run yet but one goal set up for Tom Elliot stood out. Lovely one-two on the edge of the box. Looks like a good bet in the DLF role.

Onwards and upwards! I'm pleased with how at-home we look in this league already, and I have a sneaking suspicion we can push for a shock promotion.

Edit: I need to look at better options in central midfield in January - cover is desperately needed at defensive midfield (I don't like shifting Parkinson there as I prefer not to disrupt CB partnerships where possible) and Mark Randall is looking like an expensive (wage-wise) flop thus far. He's too flimsy and attack-minded and I don't think he fits in a flat midfield 4 since I have no DLP or AP role. For now I've trained Ben Davies to Accomplished at CM and he's covering Wafula (along with the still-good-enough Adriano Moke) but I'd really like to have a clear-cut best midfield pair. Depending on performances though I might even be able to wait till next summer - when I might even be in League 1 - to get this sorted.

Nice progress. Have you got any of the original squad left? I'm just going into the playoffs in my fourth season now and I've realised I don't have any of the original players left, despite starting with some very good ones. I am guessing this is because of the previous contract issues where I couldn't renew any of the guys worth keeping.

The biggest issue I've had on the update has been discipline - I posted a thread in the bug forum and was advised that if you play with "hassle opponents" you are at risk of a lot of cards, which is being reviewed. Even with "stay on feet" also selected, I've set all kinds of records for poor discipline in both the league and the FA Trophy. My captain Charlie O'Loughlin, has 11 yellows and six reds in 33 appearances, which has resulted in a total of 27 matches suspended in a single season! In the same role last season he had four yellows in 17 starts.

I do yeah - still got Adriano Moke, Jordan Fagbola, Ian Ormison and Rhys Murphy. None of them are first choice any more but they all get games.

This was a particularly satisfying match, just played it (and watched it in full rather than my usual Key-only highlights mode). Notable because Exeter were top of the league, and they didn't even get a shot on goal. I'm now top, having played 3 games since my last update - now P10 W5 D4 L1. Results tonight were a 1-0 away loss to Scunthorpe, 2-0 home win against Rochdale and that 2-0 home win against Exeter.

There's nothing quite like going into a game you expect to be a tough battle, and absolutely walking it. I bet you were just waiting for the Exeter onslaught in the last 15 minutes too.

Anyway, something to take into the second leg, but still frustrating...

YFy02eV.jpg

We fought back from an early free kick to be 3-1 at the break, before one of those infuriating goals where your 'keeper's goal kick only just reaches the halfway line, and is headed straight back through to their striker. I don't fancy us to keep a clean sheet at Wrexham so will need to score in the second leg.

szPrsfR.jpg

Nice to know the AI can rely on four 25+ yarders when trailing on aggregate. They even scored two in the same minute of the match!

That would mark approximately the 895768th time I've seen a team go mental and scored 3-4 goals in quick succession on FM14.

2016/17 review - Havant & Waterlooville - Skrill Premier

1112.png

League table

Graph

Squad

Transfers

Without 20 minutes to go in the second leg of the playoff semis, we were staring at a second trip to Wembley within a month. With the FA Trophy already in our keeping, our vanquished opponents Wrexham were on the ropes again. A 3-1 lead translated to a 6-3 aggregate lead, and the final beckoned.

Bang, 30 yards, 3-2. Then, in the same minute, bang, 30 yards, 3-3. Wonderful. We put in a DMC to try and close down space, as we still led 6-5 on aggregate. We held on for 13 minutes, before two more goals in two minutes sealed our fate. Still a fantastic season, but it could have been so much more.

We set records of both the good and the bad kind. 116 goals set a league record, as did 105 yellows and 11 reds. Charlie O'Loughlin was suspended for a total of 27 matches, with SIX red cards along with his 11 yellows.

From an attacking point of view, we were a powerhouse. Nathan Elder was phenomenal, with a stupendous 35 goals and 26 assists. Mario Noto was not far behind, with 20 goals and 24 assists, and Dan Fitchett (29 goals and 10 assists) and on-loan Jamie White (18 goals in 18 starts) ensured we were always in any game.

atL78wP.jpg

Our run to the FA Trophy wasn't exactly straightforward either, as we had replays in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds before a two-legged semi. 1-1 in the first leg despite two red cards, and 0-2 down after seven minutes in the second leg, we recovered to book our spot at Wembley, where the genius of Elder and Noto delivered the silverware.

Great update CityAndColour, and very unlucky with that play-off - Wrexham served their revenge on the FA Trophy defeat in dramatic fashion. I guess you'll be looking to tone down the tackling next season (but not the goals). Good to see a decent return for Jamie White, he was a consistent marksman on FM13 too. Do you think there are so many goals and cards because you started this save before the last patch? I know they are meant to be 'save compatible' but...

Sammuthegreat, that looks like a very decent team assembled at Stockport, and a very good start to life in L2. Did you manage to get a new central midfielder yet? I don't know how they are in season 3, but David McAllister and Matt Watson (ex-Vancouver) both performed OK for me in L1 at Shrewsbury, and might fit your wage budget. You may get a better quality of loanee than them, of course.

Great update CityAndColour, and very unlucky with that play-off - Wrexham served their revenge on the FA Trophy defeat in dramatic fashion. I guess you'll be looking to tone down the tackling next season (but not the goals). Good to see a decent return for Jamie White, he was a consistent marksman on FM13 too. Do you think there are so many goals and cards because you started this save before the last patch? I know they are meant to be 'save compatible' but...

Actually the cards issue is only since the last update - I uploaded my save game in the bugs forum and I think it's an issue with the 'hassle opponents' shout, so may have to review that until the next update.

As for goals, this set-up has always produced goals however the update has taken it to a new level. Given the feedback is defences have improved and chance creation is now harder, I'm pleased that we are so dangerous going forward.

White was superb however wanted too much as a free agent, and his physicals are very poor. I did however manage to snag this prospect from Woking for compensation of around £7K...

Eyb415c.jpg

He is a monster physically for his age, and looks like he could develop into that nightmare match-up who is good in the air and with ball at feet. His very low determination and bravery is a concern, but I have Mario Noto tutoring him who has 16 for determination, 17 for leadership and a resolute personality.

I also have him on 'compete forward' training at high intensity, as that covers off all the attributes I want him to increase in.

I'll remember not to hassle too much in that case. It's usually one of the first instructions I set on any save from L1 downwards as, if carried out correctly, it makes average teams perform better. It also seems to reflect the type of football that you might expect at such levels, where good technique is far less evident.

Voss looks like a bit of a lump but definitely some real potential there, good luck with that.

He certainly is a big lump of a kid but a lump with 13 dribbling and 12 balance.

I'm really enjoying the youth aspect of this save and am concentrating on upgrading my youth set-up at every available opportunity. Currently my 'key player' is someone from my first intake, and the kid I sold to Charlton is now rated as having the potential to be a good EPL player. I've also got several midfielders on the fringe of the first team and a couple of promising defenders currently being tutored.

@Jogo - nope, still haven't got my midfield sorted. I've been using my 4-5-1 system quite a lot this season though since it covers a bit more for my slightly iffy midfield, and in the Exeter game above I went with Parkinson at DM and Wafula and Davies in the BBM roles ahead of him. Seemed to work pretty nicely. I'll look into McAllister and Watson next time I play, thanks for the recommendations.

@City - hard luck on that Wrexham match, that is a real groin kick. Are your board happy with your performance? Just hope you weren't expected to deliver promotion, I know how unforgiving boards can be even when you come so very, very close... 2 goals from 25+ yards in 1 minute is a bit of a joke though.

As an aside, I've noticed it really is a lot easier to get a handle on what's working and what isn't when you watch matches in full, even if you have it at the maximum speed. Luckily my team also realises its strengths lie on the wings rather than in central midfield...

This thread massively makes me want to start a save with my home town team, the (not so) mighty Bath City!

Might boot up a save tonight and give it a go. I literally know NOTHING about these leagues (currently Sheff Utd in one of my save and that's as low as i dare go at the moment :lol:) though so would be signing players blind and hoping for luck! But would be an epic challenge and this thread is good for reference.

First thing i would try and do is sign Hogg back from Gloucester City, when i actually went to watch Bath a few years back now he was an animal. Would either score or get sent off, nothing in between :lol:. Would love him to be a midfield terrier for my save.

I'm pretty damn awful at FM though so would be stuck in the Skill South for a good few years but love a challenge.

@City - hard luck on that Wrexham match, that is a real groin kick. Are your board happy with your performance? Just hope you weren't expected to deliver promotion, I know how unforgiving boards can be even when you come so very, very close... 2 goals from 25+ yards in 1 minute is a bit of a joke though.

Haha yeah I don't mind the long range so much, as any mug can strike a ball sweetly once in a while, it was the two in the same minute that got me. To do that we'd have had to kick off in a rush after conceding, which is not really what I'd expect from a side holding into a playoff lead.

As for my job status, it hovers between very secure and untouchable, so no problems there. Our reputation seems to have decreased too somehow - the media has predicted us 23rd this season (after 21st last season), and my board just gave me the option of avoid relegation, mid-table or top half.

That's very odd. I wonder how that happened? Maybe all the teams that were promoted were low rep and all the ones relegated from League 2 were high rep... seems very strange to drop the prediction after you won the FA Trophy and finished 4th in the league. I always find it so frustrating when my progress is bottlenecked by reputation increases taking longer than they should do, although my board have thus far been surprisingly generous about expanding my stadium given that I don't think I've filled it once (Stockport's reputation has dropped massively due to so many relegations and the club's morale is 2/20 to start with :lol:).

The players I'm able to sign at the moment are one of three things: (1) 33 years old or more, still good enough for League 2 but not for more than a year; (2) reasonably prime age but only good enough to be rated as leading Skrill Premier players; or (3) youngsters with the potential to be leading League 2/decent League 1 players. In other words, the average level of player that I can attract is somewhere between bottom of L2/top of Skrill Prem.

Makes perfect sense, but it's still frustrating :D I want a 3rd straight promotion and it's gonna be tough until I can sign better!

Archived