“I Done Bought Myself Olympiakos” (FMS Characters)

Spav

Sad how art replicates life, eh ?
“The drinks are on Sherm”, yelled SCIAG. A louder cheer followed that declaration.

I don't drink :D.

Not that it matters. Great story so far. With a back four containing faramir, flipsix and JimT, I don't need to worry about making mistakes.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the players were still tired from the first match two days earlier when CopperHorse took his Olympiakos Volou took his team into the Tokatspor stadium. Copper himself could still feel the aching in his thighs and calves from the thirty-minute spell that he had in the second half of the previous game. Tenthreeleader was taking complete control now when it came to team selection and in the change-rooms he set out the team for today’s friendly.

“BobBev will start as goalie today. Weeeman27bob and O\’Hara fan will come in as the full-backs whilst PaulHartman71 will come into the middle of the defence to partner JimT. Sherm will start on the right wing again but Balthazars will start on the left wing this time. In the centre of midfield Okkas will come in to team up with Mark Wilson27 whilst up front it will be Chesterfan2 and yours truly again”.

“By the way, that’s me up front”, said Tenthree as he looked enquiringly in Mark Wilson27’s direction.

29/07 – Tokatspor (A) – Friendly

GK – BobBev

DR – Weeeman27bob (sub 61 Faramir)

DC – PaulHartman71 (sub 46 SCIAG)

DC – JimT

DL – O\’Hara fan (sub 61 Flipsix3)

MR – Sherm

MC – Okkas (sub 61 Spav)

MC – Mark Wilson27

ML – Balthazars

SC – Tenthreeleader (sub 61 Kewell08)

SC – Chesterfan2 (sub 46 Terk)

Neither side did much in the opening quarter-hour before Tokatspor’s Nihat suddenly surged past Mark Wilson27 in the midfield and fired a low skidding shot under BobBev’s dive from twenty yards out to put the home team 1-0 up. Olympiakos just couldn’t get any cohesive play going and passes were missing their target with regularity. When Nihat got free on the right after 40 minutes and sent over an inviting low cross it was Erdinc who met it fiercely with a first time shot which BobBev did extremely well to tip around the post for a corner. From the resulting corner Nihat’s header hit the outside of the Olympiakos post. As the first half moved to its completion PaulHartman71 went down under the challenge of Baris and injured his ankle. He had to go off for treatment and Olympiakos played the final minute with just ten men.

Copper wasn’t as pleased at the break as he had been in their previous match two days ago. “I hate to say this fellas, but that was a mighty poor first half. We have gotta improve our midfield play and get Okkas much more involved. Hell, Tenthree and Chesterfan2 haven’t had a sniff of the ball up front there”.

PaulHartman71’s ankle injury meant that he couldn’t start the second half, so SCIAG came on his place whilst Chesterfan2 said that he was knackered and suggested that Terk replace him for the second half. Olympiakos finally worked a chance in the 50th minute when Mark Wilson27 took a free-kick which SCIAG headed back across goal and Tenthreeleader then volleyed against the crossbar from twelve yards out. Further changes were made after 61 minutes as Kewell08 came on for Tenthreeleader, allowing Balthazars to move up front whilst Kewell08 went out to the left wing. The full-backs were rested as Weeeman27bob and O\’Hara fan made way for Faramir and Flipsix3 whilst Okkas departed for Spav in the centre of midfield. Sherm suddenly came awake after 64 minutes as he beat Umat and Tolga on the right wing and pulled the ball back for Mark Wilson27 who unluckily saw his half-volley crash against the post from ten yards out. Olympiakos were finally playing some good football and Balthazars was the next to go close after 75 minutes as his shot from Flipsix3’s pass forced keeper Erkan to tip the ball away for a corner. The final ten minutes were all Olympiakos as Tokatspor ran out of steam, but the Turkish side held on to their 1-0 lead to take out the match.

Tokatspor (1)1 Nihat 15

Olympiakos Volou (0)0

“That was a much better second half”, enthused Copper as he walked around the change-rooms after the final whistle and one-by-one patted his exhausted players on the back. “Jesus, we hit the goddam woodwork twice and kept them down to a couple of harmless long range shots that didn’t even bother BobBev. I know you will be upset by losing 1-0, but I’m still mighty happy with the way you all gave it your best shot in the second half”.

Just catching up with the story. Absolutely making my nights reading it. Love it something fierce. Keep up the good work. I feel that if you've ever watched either of the Coen Brother's movies, Raising Arizona or O Brother, Where Art Thou, you've got a dialect down pat.

I'm hitting the hay to get me some shut eye.

How does flipsix get the whole match and a third and I'm left with two-thirds of a match?

I want out :):)

Probably because your condition was 52% at the time you were subbed! This is pre-season and the players conditioning is low.

Now hush up or Copper and Tenthree will bust your sorry ass down to the reserves for the rest of the season. :D

Just catching up with the story. Absolutely making my nights reading it. Love it something fierce. Keep up the good work. I feel that if you've ever watched either of the Coen Brother's movies, Raising Arizona or O Brother, Where Art Thou, you've got a dialect down pat.

Thanks for the kind words, Copper. I have seen both films coincidentally, but the language I have you and Tenthree using here is just my own humble attempt at replicating the American vernacular. I usually write something in plain English and then imagine some (Southern) American saying it before going back and editing in the patois. :thup:

“The fellas are mighty fatigued”, said Tenthreeleader to CopperHorse as they sat in the lobby of the team’s hotel on the morning of the club’s final friendly in Turkey against Kucukkoyspor. “Most of these boys haven’t played many competitive games recently and they’re not used to so much physical activity”. Copper nodded his head in acknowledgement. “They seem to be a decent bunch though – I’m sure you’ll whip them into shape soon. In the meantime just you go and pick the fittest team that you can and we’ll give this here game our best shot”.

“We’ll make a few more changes today”, said Tenthree as the team gathered in the change-rooms prior to the match. “Flipstyle will come back in as the starting keeper, but Weeeman27bob and O’\Hara fan will stay as the full-backs. PaulHartman71 is gonna need a week or so to recover from his ankle injury, so SCIAG will return to partner JimT at centre-half. Amaroq and Kewell08 will be the wingers, Okkas will start again in the centre of midfield and Spav will join him in place of Mark Wilson27. Up front Terk and Balthazars will begin the match”.

Mark Wilson27 put up his hand as Tenthree looked around room for confirmation of his starting lineup.

“Yes, Mark”, said Tenthree.

“Gaffer, I’m glad that ‘yours truly’ fella isn’t playing today”, he said with a wink.

31/07 – Kucukkoyspor (A) – Friendly

GK – Flipstyle

DR – Weeeman27bob

DC – SCIAG

DC – JimT (sub 46 CopperHorse21)

DL – O\’Hara fan

MR – Amaroq (sub 67 Sherm)

MC – Spav (sub 67 Mark Wilson27)

MC – Okkas (inj 78 Faramir)

ML – Kewell08 (sub 67 Flipsix3)

SC – Terk (sub 67 Tenthreeleader)

SC – Balthazars (sub 67 Chesterfan2)

The home side started strongly and penned Olympiakos back in to their own half for much of the first ten minutes. Flipstyle was on his game though and the goalie saved well from Ibrahim and Remzi when they both produced shots from just inside the area. When Olympiakos finally got a free-kick after 11 minutes it was Kewell08 who played the ball in to the near post and Balthazars caught it on the volley, but the Australian’s shot crashed against the post and bounced to safety. SCIAG came to the rescue after 22 minutes when he headed Kerim’s shot off the line after Flipstyle was finally beaten. However after 27 minutes Remzi broke clear and although Spav’s desperate tackle knocked the ball away it fell kindly for Ibrahim who belted it past Flipstyle to put Kucukkoyspor 1-0 up. The home side settled back to consolidate their lead and nothing of note happened until the 37th minute when Weeeman27bob, Amaroq and Terk put together a great move down the right side. Terk’s cross found Balthazars and this time he made no mistake as he half-volleyed the ball past the keeper Yusuf from ten yards out to pull the score back to 1-1. Olympiakos then nearly took the lead after 42 minutes when Amaroq’s pass found Okkas and the midfielder sent a rasping twenty-yard effort crashing into the crossbar. Unfortunately it was Kucukkoyspor who found the net again in first half injury-time. JimT could only partly clear Ersin’s cross and the ball fell for Bayram to sidefoot it past Flipstyle to give the Turks a 2-1 lead at the break.

Copper wasn’t too displeased by the first half effort of the team because he could see the fatigue in the player’s form as they played their third game in five days. “We had their measure for a lot of that half”, he said in the change-rooms at the break. “You fellas keep on giving it your best and I’ll be happy”.

JimT cramped up badly just before the players returned to the pitch, so Copperhorse21 had to substitute for him for the second half. Both sides played the second period at a much slower pace and many substitutions interrupted the flow of the game. Balthazars and Okkas had half-chances to equalise but Yusuf saved well. After 67 minutes Chesterfan2 came on for Balthazars, Tenthreeleader replaced Terk, Sherm took over from Amaroq, Flipsix3 came on for Kewell08 and Mark Wilson27 took the place of Spav. Flipstyle did very well to push away Zafer’s close range effort after 73 minutes to keep Olympiakos in the match and then a great chance to equalise came the team’s way after 78 minutes. Sherm played Okkas into the box and Kerim’s rash challenge on the midfield saw him go crashing down for a penalty. Okkas suffered an ankle injury in the incident and he had to limp off to be replaced by Faramir. When the game was ready to resume Mark Wilson27 had taken the ball and placed it on the penalty spot. The Englishman hit the ball hard, but it was too close to the keeper Yusuf and he double-fisted it away before the defender Alpay hacked it to safety. It was the last major incident of the match and the game ended with Kucukkoyspor winning 2-1 to give Olympiakos a second consecutive defeat.

Kucukkoyspor (2)2 Ibrahim 27, Bayram 45+3

Olympiakos Volou (1)1 Balthazars 37

The players sat despondently in the change-rooms after the match knowing that they may well have got themselves a 2-2 draw if the Mark Wilson27 had converted the penalty. Copper went up to his distraught midfielder and patted him on the head. “Don’t you worry about that penalty miss, boy. I’m sure that there keeper moved well before you took it”. Mark looked up with a half-hearted smile on his face. “Cheers, thanks for saying that, Mr Horse”, he replied. “Steady on there, we’re team-mates remember, so none of that there Mr Horse malarkey – it’s Copper when we’re sitting here together in the change-rooms both sweating from our efforts out on the field”.

Copper walked into the centre of the room to get everyone’s attention. “Fellas, you all did mighty fine here in Turkey. Hell, if you think things are bad cos we done got beat in a couple of friendlies, then wait till we get ourselves back to Greece where we haven’t even got ourselves any supporters and the local population would like nothing better that to see our asses on the first plane out of there”.

“We are Olympiakos Volou”, shouted Chesterfan2 all of a sudden, “and we don’t care if nobody likes us”. There was a roar of agreement from the rest of the players. Tenthree walked up to Copper as the rest of the players repeated Chesterfan2’s chant. “I think we’ve just got ourselves a team”, he said.

“We are Olympiakos Volou”, shouted Chesterfan2 all of a sudden, “and we don’t care if nobody likes us”. There was a roar of agreement from the rest of the players.

See that ? Do You see that ? You have a leader there I tell you, a leader. Get the boy on the pitch and give him playing time. The bench is no place for a talent like that.

This message is sponsored by Night Nurse..................and Meths.

Having scored, I would celebrate - but being a naturally tight git, the drinks are in everybody else :)

Good stuff Spav, thoroughly enjoying it (although if you had met me in the real world, I look nothing like a winger - pace isn't my strongest asset, lets just say ;))

See that ? Do You see that ? You have a leader there I tell you, a leader. Get the boy on the pitch and give him playing time. The bench is no place for a talent like that.

Looks to the offsider like there's captain material here. But you know the skipper - always plays when it's best for the club .... :D

CopperHorse had endured several hectic days since Olympiakos Volou had returned from their pre-season tour of Turkey. Upon his return to the city of Volos he had been relieved to see that the EAK Volou stadium was still in one piece and hadn’t been burnt to the ground by the irate local population. It was just upon his arrival at the stadium – accompanied by Tenthreeleader – that the waiting media pack descended upon him. Two Greek television crews, another television crew from England and one from ESPN all led the charge with several newspaper journalists and their accompanying photographers in close attendance. Microphones were shoved in Copper’s face and questions were fired at him from several sources simultaneously.

“Hold on a goddam moment”, Copper bellowed. “What in tarnation is this all about?”

“We’d like to do a story about you and the club and your radical decision to break the ‘cold war’ between Greece and Turkey by staging a pre-season tour to that country”, said the ESPN reporter.

“We’d like to hear about your plans to rebuild the club’s playing staff with entirely non-Greek personnel”, interrupted the BBC reporter before ESPN could steal a march on him.

“We would like to know if you have a pretty young wife and if she would pose in a bikini for us”, added one of the Greek television reporters hopefully.

Tenthree stepped between Copper and the reporters and raised his outstretched arms to block the cameras.

“Copper will speak to media in calmer conditions inside the stadium in one hour’s time”, he announced. “Until then, please let him into his office”.

Tenthree took Copper by the arm and turned him in the direction of the offices. “We’ve got ourselves sixty minutes to work out how to make the best of this here opportunity”, he said as he hurried his boss into the stadium.

“Copper will read a statement before he takes questions”, said Tenthree as he addressed the assembled media pack that had waited for the past hour for their arrival. He stepped back and allowed Copper to take his place in front of the cameras. Copper looked down at the sheet of paper that he held. It contained the notes that he and Tenthree had spent the last hour quickly jotting down.

“I wanna thank you all for coming to the beautiful city of Volos today to report on this city’s historic soccer club. I am mighty proud to be the new owner of Olympiakos Volou. In fact I was so excited by the prospect of running this here fine club that I let my initial enthusiasm stampede all over my limited knowledge of the Greek footballing community. In my haste to spell out my hopes and dreams for this here fine club I naively made some comments which upset the players and the loyal followers of Olympiakos Volou”.

Copper glanced to his right and Tenthree gave him a nod of approval.

“Last season’s players have gone and left the club, but I have been lucky enough to assemble a group of new players who wish for nothing more than to prove themselves a success in front of the wonderful people of Volos. I implore the local population to get themselves behind their new team and give them the support that they so richly deserve. Together, I, CopperHorse, my first team manager Tenthreeleader and these here brave young men will make the city of Volos proud of their soccer club Olympiakos Volou”.

Tenthree clapped enthusiastically as Copper folded his notes and placed them in his pocket. “Right fellas, let’s have your questions then”, he said to the media representatives as he inwardly allowed himself a sigh of relief.

CopperHorse and Tenthreeleader sat on the balcony of Copper’s room at the Hotel Oxyacetylene on the night before the first official match of the season and reviewed the players one final time prior to naming the starting eleven.

“I think young Flipstyle has the edge over BobBev as the starting goalkeeper” said Copper.

“I agree”, said Tenthree, “and Faramir and Flipsix3 should be the full-backs”.

“I’m happy with that. What’s your idea for the central defensive pairing?”

“That’s a curly one, Copper. All three of JimT, PaulHartman71 and SCIAG are deserving of a start, but we can only pick us two of them. JimT is more comfortable on the left, so that gives him an advantage, but it’s a toss-up between the other two”.

“Okay then, as the owner I’ll nominate PaulHartman71 and I’ll call it an executive decision”.

“Right you are, Copper. My thoughts on the wingers are Sherm on the right and Kewell08 on the left”,

“I concur, Tenthree. And I like the thought of Spav and Mark Wilson27 in the centre of the midfield”.

“That’s my thinking too, Copper. Spav can play the holding role and Mark can push forward to support the attack”.

“Chesterfan2 is a definite starter up front. You happy with that, Tenthree?”

“Sure thing, Copper. And as much as I’ve enjoyed my time on the field in the friendlies I think Balthazars should start”.

“It’s probably the best choice, Mr. Biscuit Tin Head”.

“That just leaves us with one final choice”.

“Isn’t that eleven players we’ve just decided on?”

“Yes, but we need us a captain”.

“Of course. Do you have someone in mind, Tenthree?”

“I’d like to see Chesterfan2 or Spav get the job”.

“Good choices there. I like both of them too, but I reckon Chesterfan2 is a more vocal leader and I’d like him to have the captain’s armband”.

“You’ll get no argument from me, Copper. Chesterfan2 will be the new captain of Olympiakos Volou”

There were approximately 800 people in the EAK Volou stadium prior to the kick-off of the Greek Cup match against Pierikos. It was hard to tell if any of them were Olympiakos supporters, but there was certainly a core of 200 or so Pierikos fans behind one of the goals. The publicity of the past week had certainly had some effect on the crowd numbers though and there were obviously some people who had shown up and were interested to see how this brand new Olympiakos Volou team performed in an official match.

“It’s a start anyway”, said Copper to himself as he surveyed the crowd just before the two teams took the field.

08/08 – Pierikos (H) – Greek Cup Group 4

GK – Flipstyle

DR – Faramir

DC – PaulHartman71

DC – JimT

DL – Flipsix3

MR – Sherm

MC – Spav (sub 64 O\’Hara fan)

MC – Mark Wilson27

ML – Kewell08

SC – Chesterfan2

SC – Balthazars

Non-league side Pierikos were clearly prepared to defend as they lined up in a 4-5-1 formation and allowed Olympiakos to dictate the tempo. The first chances fell to Kewell08 and Mark Wilson27 who both hit free-kicks just wide of the Pierikos goal in the opening twenty minutes. Kontopoulos volleyed a shot just over the Olympiakos crossbar after 28 minutes to remind the home team that they weren’t going to have it all their own way. After 32 minutes PaulHartman71 started an attack from deep in defence with a pass to Spav who quickly fed it onto Mark Wilson27. The Englishman then slid the ball into the feet of Balthazars who in turn dribbled into the box from the left and drove across a low centre which the skipper Chesterfan2 crashed home at the near post to put Olympiakos 1-0 up. With two minutes of taking the lead a long clearance by keeper Flipstyle bounced through to Sherm and he volleyed it first time from twenty yards out, only to see it find the side netting. Balthazars and Mark Wilson27 then fired in efforts late in the first half which the Pierikos keeper Polizos held well.

The main action at the start of the second half was confined to a stoush between Spav and Iordanidis with the Australian being booked for a late tackle on his Greek opponent after 52 minutes. When Spav and Iordanidis got involved in another push-and-shove in the 64th minute Tenthree thought it prudent to save the team going down to ten men by hauling off Spav and substituting him with O’\Hara fan. Kewell08 moved into the centre of midfield and the new man went out on to the left wing. Kontopoulos then hammered a shot straight into Flipstyle’s arms after 68 minutes as Olympiakos were reminded that their one-goal lead wasn’t safe. Kewell08 made himself some room on the left after 71 minutes and sent over a cross to the far post where Sherm headed the ball powerfully goalwards, only to see it hit the post and rebound into the hands of the keeper. There was a late shot from Labrianidis that skidded wide of the Olympiakos goal after 86 minutes and a wayward header by JimT from Sherm’s corner after 88 minutes as the game wound down, but then the final whistle went and the home side had their first win in the first official match of the season.

Olympiakos Volou (1)1 Chesterfan2 32

Pierikos (0)0

Copper was beaming from ear to ear as he stood in the doorway of the change-rooms at the end of the match and slapped each of his players on the back as they entered the room. “Goddam, that was just delightful”, he said once everyone had gathered in the change-room. “Right now I feel happier than a hound dog whose been given the keys to a butcher’s shop”.

No start again' date=' and central midfield, come on, a donkey can play there and still get England caps its that easy.

Funny story though. Keep it up Spav![/quote']

Keep up your whining about first team play and I'll reckon the transfer list will be seeing your name on it...:p

Nice job Spav. Glad to see I can manage successfully in Greece (from where the Spartans originally hail).

No start again' date=' and central midfield, come on, a donkey can play there and still get England caps its that easy.[/quote']
...by hauling off Spav and substituting him with O’\Hara fan. Kewell08 moved into the centre of midfield and the new man went out on to the left wing.

I think if you read closely you'll see you played left wing. :rolleyes:

Keep up your whining about first team play and I'll reckon the transfer list will be seeing your name on it...:p

Now you're upsetting the owner/chairman - I can see the first transfer occuring in the game very soon. :eek:

Olympiakos Volou’s 1-0 win over Pierikos in the first of three Greek Cup Group 4 matches had certainly raised the morale of the players as well as that of its owner CopperHorse. Whilst the players were enjoying their training and their skills were improving as they got to know one another better Copper was busy working the Greek media and trying his best to bring the club back into the fold as far as the local society of Volos was concerned.

The intervening weekend had seen the Volos Summer Festival take place in the city and Copper had arranged for an Olympiakos Volou stall to be set up in the main street along with those manned by many of the local businesses. When the stall was opened (by the removal of a large tarpaulin that had been covering it since it had been erected overnight) the locals found themselves presented with a dunking tank. Sitting on a platform over a glass tank filled with water was CopperHorse dressed up brightly as ‘Uncle Sam’. Manning the front of the stall was Tenthree and for the measly price of €2 the locals were being offered the chance to kick a soccer ball at a target which, when hit, would release the platform and drop Copper into the water.

A crowd quickly gathered and half a dozen locals had sent the ball flying towards the target without hitting it before the mayor of Volos suddenly appeared. The crowd parted and the next man in line offered his turn to the mayor. There were calls of encouragement in Greek as the mayor line up his shot whilst Copper sat on the platform holding his nose in case he was about to end up in the water. The mayor went for placement, not power, and the ball smacked into the centre of the bullseye. There was a metallic clang as the platform released and Copper went crashing down into the water, cheered by the locals as he went right to the bottom of the tank before resurfacing and spitting water from his mouth. The mayor was surrounded by locals who patted his back in congratulations, but he pushed his way through them and went up to the tank where Copper was just climbing up the rope ladder that allowed him to exit the water.

“You are a brave man to suffer such humiliation”, said the mayor in excellent English.

“Aw, I dunno”, replied Copper as he wiped the water from his face, “I reckon it’s the least I can do after starting off so badly in the eyes of you and your city”.

“Maybe we have misjudged you”.

“Perhaps, but maybe I was a bit overexcited at first. Anyways, I’m gonna make my club one that all of Volos can be proud of”.

Copper offered his dripping hand and the mayor shook it without hesitation.

“And now if you will excuse me, Mr Mayor, I have a job to do for another half-hour or so”, said Copper as he climbed back up on to his platform.

There was a cheer as the mayor stood back and the line reformed with the locals even keener to take their turn at dunking ‘Uncle Sam’ into the water.

15/08 – Doxa Dramas (A) – Greek Cup Group 4

GK – Flipstyle

DR – Faramir (63 Weeeman27bob)

DC – PaulHartman71

DC – JimT

DL – Flipsix3 (sub 72 O\’Hara fan)

MR – Sherm

MC – Spav

MC – Mark Wilson27

ML – Kewell08 (sub 63 Tenthreeleader)

SC – Chesterfan2

SC – Balthazars

Olympiakos began confidently and Chesterfan2 headed just wide from Kewell08’s cross after only 2 minutes. In the 4th minute JimT sent Faramir galloping down the right wing and his low cross was met first time by Balthazars. The Doxa keeper Stefanidis did well to block the Australian’s shot, but Chesterfan2 was well placed to tap home the rebound and Olympiakos led 1-0. Stefanidis realised he was going to be in for a busy day as he had to bat away Chesterfan2’s close range header after 8 minutes. The Doxa keeper had no chance though after 12 minutes as Mark Wilson27 weaved his way into the box before squaring the ball for Balthazars to drive it into an unguarded net to make the score 2-0. There was a moment of panic in the 20th minute as a tug of the shirt by Kewell08 on Pavlidis caused the Doxa striker to go down in the box, but the referee missed the infringement and waved play on. The score soon moved to 3-0 as Mark Wilson27’s long ball sent Balthazars racing clear of the static Doxa defence after 24 minutes and the forward thrashed the ball high into the net for his second goal. Doxa gave up any attacking ambitions at that point as they dropped back to defend in numbers and that stifled the scoring attempts for a while. However in the 43rd minute Flipsix3 overlapped well before finding Balthazars just inside the box. He laid the ball off to Mark Wilson27 who then cheekily back-heeled it into the path of Chesterfan2 who sidefooted it past Stefanidis for a 4-0 half-time lead.

Doxa continued with the packed defence as the second half began, but the Olympiakos players patiently chipped away at their opponents. It took until the 60th minute to find another goal, but it was worth the wait. Spav sent over a deep cross to the left which Chesterfan2 nodded down precisely for Flipsix3. The left-back the drilled the ball into the near post where Mark Wilson27 trapped the ball, nutmegged his marker and then clipped it around Stefanidis for a thoroughly-deserved goal that made it 5-0. With the game in the bag Weeeman27bob replaced the rampaging Faramir and Tenthreeleader replaced Kewell08 who had suffered a corked thigh as a pair of substitutions was made after 63 minutes. Balthazars went out onto the left wing as the player/manager took his place up front. Both sides were now tiring and after 72 minutes O\’Hara fan took over from Flipsix3 who’d run up himself into the ground on the left side of the park. In the 78th minute Mark Wilson27 picked out Tenthreeleader with a pinpoint cross and the American’s header seemed destined for the top corner until Stefanidis pulled off a magnificent save. Chesterfan2 seemed sure of a hat-trick in the 82nd minute when Sherm broke free on the right and unselfishly squared the ball, but the skipper somehow blasted his shot high into the stand. It mattered little though as two minutes later Tsiaousis suicidally played a back-pass straight to Chesterfan2 and he dinked it over the stranded keeper for his third goal as Olympiakos rounded things off with a superb 6-0 win.

Doxa Dramas (0)0

Olympiakos Volou (4)6 Chesterfan2 5, 43, 84, Balthazars 12, 24, Mark Wilson27 60

Chesterfan2 led the players into the change-rooms after the game with the match-ball firmly grasped in his arms as was his right having scored a hat-trick. There were chants of “6-0, 6-0” and “ole, ole, Olympiakos” as the players revelled in their fine win. Copper came in a few minutes later and called for quiet.

“Fellas, I’ve been listening to the results on the radio. Iraklis have followed up their win last week with a win today, so guess what? We’re through to the next goddam round already”.

Fantastic result! :D You lads sure are making it easy for me though. I suppose the team could have played without me in net at all that last match.

Two shots for Doxa Dramas, neither on target. So yes, you probably could have sat out that match. Don't worry though, there's a long season ahead and I'm sure you'll be busy soon. :)

Doxa Dramas (0)0

Olympiakos Volou (4)6 Chesterfan2 5, 43, 84, Balthazars 12, 24, Mark Wilson27 60

Chesterfan2 led the players into the change-rooms after the game with the match-ball firmly grasped in his arms as was his right having scored a hat-trick.

I'd reply in a forceful manner if I knew another Olympics barb wasn't going to come my way. ;)

(Of course, the new captain of Olympiakos Volou could always be dumped to the reserves until his attitude improves. :D )

And you're thinking of dropping me ? ME? ;)

As ever, though Spav, brilliantly written stuff. I love the way you write match days especially.

Spav,

Thanks for your kind post in my own story, and I'm glad that you alerted me to the progress of this wonderful story! It's hard to know where to start in this forum due to the overwhelming quality; I usually end up reading the first page of everything and then not knowing which ones to keep on coming back to!

That said, I think I'll be keeping tabs on this, as comedy is hard to come by with the 'serious business' that is football, but you're capturing the idea brilliantly with your work here. Easy to read, funny as heck, and generally just good-natured fun. Really enjoying it!

I'm also highly flattered to be included here given the short time that I've been a part of the forum, and glad to see that I've started the season with a bang! Also interesting, is the age is off by just 1 year, and I did spend one season playing as a striker (scored 6 goals that year in school, which was lots of fun!). That said, I was never really much good as a striker, so hopefully that won't be a problem here!

Looking forward to more. :thup:

CopperHorse was sitting at a waterfront café eating an early evening meal of succulent calamari teamed with a crisp salad when a familiar face walked into the same eatery and went to take a seat nearby. It was the club captain Chesterfan2.

“Hey, son, come take a seat here with me”, called out Copper to his striker.

“Thanks”, replied Chesterfan2 when he realised who had addressed him.

“You know, Chester, I’ve not had me much of a chance to get to know all you boys. Where did you play before you decided to come to Greece?”

“Where didn’t I play, that’s more like it! I started off as an apprentice at Chester, but I never broke into the first team there. I then went on a trip to Canada with some mates and tried to get a game with the Toronto Raptors, but apart from twelve minutes in a cup match that went nowhere either. After that I ended up in Australia on the books of Melbourne Victory where I played a few games, mainly as a substitute. My contract wasn’t renewed, so I came back to England. I worked for a publishing company for a while and then I took off for Finland when a team called PP-70 gave me the job of writing their club magazine”.

“So you’re fluent in Finnish then?”

“Nope, I’ve never spoken it in my life. Of course, the club soon discovered that and they sacked me, but not before I’d convinced them that I was a decent enough player for them to sign me to their playing squad. I had two great seasons in Tampere with PP-70, probably the best time of my life, before the club went downhill financially and had to go into administration. That was the end of that for me and I returned to Chester where I ended up working for a bank in their IT department”.

“And now you’re here in Volos?”

“Yep. When I saw the position on offer on e-Bay I knew I had one last chance to make something of my football career, so I quit the bank and used my severance pay to buy the $1,000 place in the squad”.

“Well, Chester, I mighty glad that you went and did that. I’m really proud to have a player of your goalscoring ability in my team. Four goals in two games is a fine start to your Olympiakos career”.

“Thanks, Copper”.

“That hat-trick against Doxa was sharply finished. A well-travelled striker like you must have scores a few hat-tricks in his time. So tell me, how many of them hat-tricks have you scored before?”

Chesterfan2 looked down in embarrassment before lifting his head again.

“Copper, I’ll be honest. Despite all my years of playing as a striker in senior football, that effort against Pierikos was my first ever goal”.

Now it was Copper’s turn to look embarrassed.

“Well, that don’t matter none, son. We’re all doing new things here in Volos and I’m sure that won’t be the first surprise we experience this season”.

A combination of factors appeared to have swollen the crowd for Olympiakos Volou’s second home match of the season. Perhaps it was Copper’s recent efforts at winning over the local population, perhaps it was the fact that the team had won both their Greek Cup matches 1-0 and 6-0, perhaps it was the fact that today’s opponents were A Division side Iraklis, or perhaps it was that a few people were looking to see Olympiakos get put in their place by higher-placed opposition. Whatever it was, the gate had increased tenfold from 800 people against Pierikos two weeks ago to over 8,000 fans against Iraklis on this day.

“Fellas, this here is your first big test of the season”, said Copper as he addressed the team in the change-rooms prior to kick-off. “Iraklis is a top division side and they’ll make it mighty tough for us today, but there’s nothing riding on the result, so most of all I want you all to enjoy yourselves. Tenthree has been checking out their team-sheet and he reckons it’s nearly a full strength lineup that these boys have got, but they are giving one or two of their young ’uns a run today. I want you to get out there and show them fellas that Olympiakos Volou means business this season”.

19/08 – Iraklis (H) – Greek Cup Group 4

GK – Flipstyle

DR – Faramir

DC – PaulHartman71

DC – SCIAG (sub 62 CopperHorse21)

DL – Flipsix3

MR – Amaroq

MC – Spav

MC – Mark Wilson27

ML – Kewell08

SC – Chesterfan2 (sub 62 Terk)

SC – Balthazars (sub 62 Tenthreeleader)

The initial pressure came from Iraklis who dominated the opening ten minutes. Olympiakos keeper Flipstyle showed his ability in the air by coming out and claiming several crosses with ease, but Iraklis continued to test him with high balls. A Rambert cross on 11 minutes forced Flipstyle to punch the ball clear, but it only fell to the edge of the box where Chatzi returned it into the centre before Flipstyle could reposition himself. Ederson rose high to head goalwards, but fortunately for Olympiakos the ball thudded against the crossbar and bounced to safety. Chesterfan2 hit a hopeful volley that clipped the Iraklis crossbar after 14 minutes as the home side had their first chance, but that was improved upon after 18 minutes following a Mark Wilson27 corner which the keeper Chalkias failed to clear. The ball bobbled around in the six yard box before the defender PaulHartman71 managed to thump it high into the Iraklis net to give Olympiakos a 1-0 lead. Iraklis responded with more possession, but their play lacked a cutting edge. In contrast the home side created an incisive move after 28 minutes that saw SCIAG and Amaroq break open the left side of the Iraklis defence before Spav received the ball and proceeded to chip Chalkias from twenty-five yards for a beautiful goal that made it 2-0. Again Iraklis responded with some confident football that pushed Olympiakos back, but the defence of Faramir, PaulHartman71, SCIAG and Flipsix3 held firm. In the 44th minute another breakout saw Amaroq feed the overlapping Faramir and the right-back’s cross was expertly finished off by Chesterfan2 at the near post with a sweet half-volley that made it 3-0.

Iraklis came out in a determined mood for the second half and showed their intention to get back into the game as Rambert fired in a twenty-yarder after 50 minutes that Flipstyle acrobatically tipped over for a corner. Five minutes later the half-time substitute Nassiopoulos produced a downward header that Flipstyle somehow scrambled away with his legs. In the 61st minute Flipsix3 overlapped down the left side and combined with Mark Wilson27 to get himself into the box. As the keeper came out to close him down Flipsix3’s attempted shot screwed across the box, but Chesterfan2 slid in to force the ball home at the far post. The skipper’s delight was soon extinguished though when the linesman ruled that Flipsix3 was offside and the goal wouldn’t stand. With a three-goal lead however Olympiakos could afford to make some changes, so CopperHorse21 replaced SCIAG, Terk came on for Chesterfan2 and Tenthreeleader subbed for Balthazars after 62 minutes. The Olympiakos wingers had a hand in the next goal after 68 minutes with Amaroq beating Delgado and firing in a shot that Chalkias could only parry for the onrushing Kewell08 to stab past him and into the net to make it 4-0. Iraklis showed little stomach for the fight after that and Olympiakos were able to play possession football for most of the remainder of the match. There was one highlight near the end though when Rambert burst into the box and looked all set to shoot until CopperHorse21 slid in from nowhere and executed a perfect tackle to rob him of the ball. The chairman then regained his footing and speared a forty-yard pass to the feet on Kewell08 out on the left wing, all of which bought a cheer from the fans behind the Olympiakos goal. That cheer was replicated to an even greater degree a few minutes later when the referee blew the final whistle to signify a 4-0 win to Olympiakos Volou.

Olympiakos Volou (3)4 PaulHartman71 18, Spav 28, Chesterfan2 44, Kewell08 68

Iraklis (0)0

“Fellas, that was some performance out there today”, gushed Copper as the team piled into the change-rooms after the match. “You’ve just gone and beaten a first division side 4-0 and made a whole heap of people sit up and take notice of us”, he continued with a grin on his face. Over in the far corner Faramir nudged his manager Tenthree in the ribs and pointed at Copper. “It looks like the hound dog has got the keys to the butcher’s shop again”, he said with a laugh.

Greek Cup - Sunday 19th August

Group 4

Pos     Team                            Pld  Won  Drn  Lst  For  Ag   Pts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st  Q  Olympiakos Volou                3    3    0    0    11   0    9  
2nd  Q  Iraklis                         3    2    0    1    5    6    6  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd     Pierikos                        3    1    0    2    2    3    3  
4th     Doxa Dramas                     3    0    0    1    1    10   0  

CopperHorse was sitting at a waterfront café eating an early evening meal of succulent calamari teamed with a crisp salad when a familiar face walked into the same eatery and went to take a seat nearby. It was the club captain Chesterfan2.

“Hey, son, come take a seat here with me”, called out Copper to his striker.

“Thanks”, replied Chesterfan2 when he realised who had addressed him.

“You know, Chester, I’ve not had me much of a chance to get to know all you boys. Where did you play before you decided to come to Greece?”

“Where didn’t I play, that’s more like it! I started off as an apprentice at Chester, but I never broke into the first team there. I then went on a trip to Canada with some mates and tried to get a game with the Toronto Raptors, but apart from twelve minutes in a cup match that went nowhere either. After that I ended up in Australia on the books of Melbourne Victory where I played a few games, mainly as a substitute. My contract wasn’t renewed, so I came back to England. I worked for a publishing company for a while and then I took off for Finland when a team called PP-70 gave me the job of writing their club magazine”.

“So you’re fluent in Finnish then?”

“Nope, I’ve never spoken it in my life. Of course, the club soon discovered that and they sacked me, but not before I’d convinced them that I was a decent enough player for them to sign me to their playing squad. I had two great seasons in Tampere with PP-70, probably the best time of my life, before the club went downhill financially and had to go into administration. That was the end of that for me and I returned to Chester where I ended up working for a bank in their IT department”.

“And now you’re here in Volos?”

“Yep. When I saw the position on offer on e-Bay I knew I had one last chance to make something of my football career, so I quit the bank and used my severance pay to buy the $1,000 place in the squad”.

“Well, Chester, I mighty glad that you went and did that. I’m really proud to have a player of your goalscoring ability in my team. Four goals in two games is a fine start to your Olympiakos career”.

“Thanks, Copper”.

“That hat-trick against Doxa was sharply finished. A well-travelled striker like you must have scores a few hat-tricks in his time. So tell me, how many of them hat-tricks have you scored before?”

Chesterfan2 looked down in embarrassment before lifting his head again.

“Copper, I’ll be honest. Despite all my years of playing as a striker in senior football, that effort against Pierikos was my first ever goal”.

Now it was Copper’s turn to look embarrassed.

“Well, that don’t matter none, son. We’re all doing new things here in Volos and I’m sure that won’t be the first surprise we experience this season”.

I think I may be being stalked. Please Help me.

CopperHorse felt that the trials and tribulations of buying the ‘wrong’ club – and then basically building it up from scratch when the entire staff deserted in protest – were finally being pushed into the background as the long-awaited kick-off to the Greek B Division eventually arrived. Hard work by the players on the pitch had resulted in a three-game unbeaten run in the Greek Cup which had been topped by a fine 4-0 win over Iraklis and, combined with more of the same by Copper off the field and in the local community, things were starting to look up at Olympiakos Volou.

16/09 – Giannena (A) – B Division

GK – Flipstyle

DR – Faramir

DC – PaulHartman71

DC – SCIAG

DL – Flipsix3

MR – Sherm

MC – Spav

MC – Mark Wilson27

ML – Kewell08

SC – Chesterfan2

SC – Balthazars (sub 65 Tenthreeleader)

Giannena showed that they weren’t going to be frightened by Olympiakos’s Greek Cup form as they came out with an attacking 4-4-2 formation. That initially forced the visitors back and goalie Flipstyle had to be on his toes in the 6th minute as a curling effort from Haristeas seemed bound for the top corner until the young American keeper tipped it around the post. It wasn’t until the 15th minute that Balthazars managed a shot for Olympiakos, but from fourteen yards out he shot straight at the keeper Papadimitriou. That prompted a long period of Olympiakos dominance and Chesterfan2 was the next to go close as he saw his volley palmed away by Papadimitriou after 19 minutes. When Chesterfan2 went down under the challenge of Samolis after 27 minutes it looked a like a clear cut penalty, but amazingly the referee waved play on. Sherm’s header was parried away after 32 minutes, Chesterfan2 ballooned a shot over the crossbar from twelve yards out after 36 minutes and Flipsix3 sent a scorching drive into the side netting after 39 minutes as the chances continued to go the way of Olympiakos. Halftime arrived just seconds after Mark Wilson27 stung Papadimitriou’s hands with a thumping volley that the keeper could only push away to safety.

Giannena reacted to the sustained pressure of the first half by bringing on a defensive midfielder for a forward at the break as they sought to contain the Olympiakos dominance. It wasn’t until the 59th minute that one of Faramir’s marauding runs forced an opening as the right-back’s cross was met by Chesterfan2 with a half-volley that smacked against the post. Another lofted effort from Chesterfan2 and a shot straight at the keeper from Kewell08 soon followed, all before Tenthreeleader took the place of the ineffective Balthazars after 65 minutes. Flipstyle dealt easily with his first save of the second half from a Geragotis header after 72 minutes as Olympiakos continued to press Giannena without being able to beat their keeper Papadimitriou. Chesterfan2, Sherm, Tenthreeleader and Spav all went close in the final fifteen minutes, but it took a breathtaking full-length diving save from Flipstyle in injury-time to deny Haristeas pinching the match for Giannena with his late header and keep the final score at 0-0.

Giannena (0)0

Olympiakos Volou (0)0

“Twenty-one shots to three – that’s what I done counted”, said Copper to those around him in the change-rooms after the match. “It’s no wonder that goddam Papadimitriou won the man of the match award. He won’t have that many saves to make all up in the next five matches”, continued Copper ruefully. He walked over to Flipstyle and high-fived the keeper. “Still, I’m glad you all didn’t fall asleep out there, son, or else Giannena would have picked our pocket as sneakily as a fox raiding the chicken-coop right under the farmer’s nose”.

CopperHorse and Tenthreeleader sat in the chairman’s office as they dealt with the first major player issue of their short tenure as the owner and first team manager respectively of Olympiakos Volou. The player concerned was O\’Hara fan, the 17-year-old left-sided wing-back from England.

“I’ve just had the young fella’s daddy on the phone to me, saying his boy was mighty unhappy with the treatment that he had been receiving since his arrival in Greece”, said Copper to Tenthree. “So what’s been happening with his boy?”

“He’s a monstrous pain in the ass – that’s what’s happening with his boy”, replied Tenthree in a frustrated tone.

“What in particular is his problem then?”

“Adolescent arrogance mainly. The boy’s a decent player, but he’s not ready for regular first-team duty yet, but he won’t hear nothing of it. Every time I name the starting team he’s tugging at my sleeve and asking why the goddam hell he ain’t in the run-on side. I’ve been giving him a run off the bench, but it’s obviously not good enough for him, so much so that now he’s apparently gone whining to his daddy”.

“What do you suggest we do about him, Tenthree?”

“Well, at this here stage, I think we can just ignore him cos he ain’t upsetting anyone else in the team. If it gets too much, then I suppose there ain’t nothing we can do but refund his money and send him home”.

Copper laughed at loud at Tenthree’s last suggestion.

“What’s so funny, Copper?”

“I already told the boy’s daddy the same thing. He changed his tune mighty quick when I suggested that. In fact he said that he’d paid a $1,000 to get the young fella out of his hair for nine months, so he’d happily pay us another $1,000 just to ensure the youngster stayed here until May”.

It was now Tenthree’s turn to laugh out loud.

Ha, ha, even his daddy knows what a royal pain in the butt his son is. Well, I feel a whole lot better now. I think we’ll keep young O\’Hara fan here and I’ll let the fellas teach him a thing or two about becoming a man”.

A rib injury to midfielder Kewell08 meant that changes were required to the team that had drawn with Giannena the previous weekend. After much consideration Tenthree decided that Balthazars should drop back onto the left wing and Tenthreeleader himself would come in to the forward line. That bought another bout of complaining from O\’Hara fan, but the rookie manager stuck to his guns. There was also good news for Okkas when he was cleared to return to action after the shin injury that he had suffered several weeks earlier and a place was found for him on the bench.

23/09 – Kalamaria (H) – B Division

GK – Flipstyle

DR – Faramir

DC – PaulHartman71

DC – SCIAG

DL – Flipsix3 (sub 64 O\’Hara fan)

MR – Sherm

MC – Spav

MC – Mark Wilson27 (sub 64 Okkas)

ML – Balthazars

SC – Chesterfan2

SC – Tenthreeleader

Both sides took their time to get into the match, but Olympiakos’s first decent attack created an opening. Spav picked up a loose ball in the midfield after 19 minutes and fed a nice pass out to Sherm. The right winger held up the ball well to allow Faramir to overlap and then played a delightful pass into the right-back’s feet. Faramir worked himself into the box before being clipped by Kartalis and the referee immediately awarded a penalty. Flipsix3 was given the responsibility of converting the spot-kick and he calmly buried the ball into the side netting to put Olympiakos 1-0 up. Chesterfan2 and Mark Wilson27 both went close shortly afterwards whilst Troupkos fired a shot straight at Flipstyle as Kalamaria tried to get back into the match. As half-time approached Balthazars wriggled free on the left wing and whipped in a cross which Tenthreeleader powerfully headed past the keeper Zafiris to make it 2-0 at the break.

Tenthree tapped his own head and winked as he walked past Copper and into the change-room for the half-time break. “Yeah, yeah, I know”, said Copper smiling in response to the action. “I’ll have to come up with a new nickname now that that ugly mug of yours has found the net”.

There were signs that Chesterfan2 and Tenthreeleader were forging a good partnership as the pair carved up the Kalamaria defence after 48 minutes before the Englishman fired into the side netting. The pair broke through again just a few minutes later but this time the American clipped the crossbar with a rising shot. Mark Wilson27 then got in on the act, dribbling past Dermitzoglou and Katsavos before crashing a shot into the crossbar after 58 minutes. The Olympiakos playmaker took a heavy fall just minutes later, injuring his shoulder in the process, so Okkas came on in Mark Wilson27’s place after 64 minutes. O\’Hara fan also replaced Flipsix3 at left-back at the same time. Chesterfan2 and Tenthreeleader continued to terrorise the Kalamaria defence and keeper as the game went into its final quarter, but neither were able to add to the scoreline. As the clock ran down to second half injury-time Balthazars darted into the box and prepared to shoot, only for Kartalis to bundle him to the ground for another penalty. The offence also earned Kartalis his second yellow card and he was sent from the field. With Flipsix3 already subbed, penalty-taking duties fell to Okkas and the midfielder deftly placed his shot hight into the roof of the Kalamaria net to make it 3-0 to Olympiakos Volou.

Olympiakos Volou (2)3 Flipsix3 pen 19, Tenthreeleader 44, Okkas pen 90

Kalamaria (0)0

Copper could hear the players cheering and whooping as he walked down the corridor towards the change-rooms after the match. He was looking forward to sharing the celebrations of his club’s first league win with the team as he opened the door and walked into the room. Chesterfan2, Flipsix3 and Sherm spotted Copper before he could say a word however and immediately broke into a chant. “Get your wallet out, it’s your shout, we won today, now we’re gonna play!” Copper waved his hands in the air and called for some quiet, but now the other players joined in the chanting. Tenthree put his fingers to his lips and produced an ear-piercing whistle that finally produced some silence. “I think you can safely say that we are all gonna celebrate tonight”, said Copper wisely. “You bet we are”, yelled Sherm. “Hell, even SCIAG is gonna have a shandy tonight”.

Archived