Is this a safe bet for both FM13 and 14?

My old laptop is pretty much dead, so as soon as I receive my end of month pay check I'll be buying a new one.The one I had before could run FM up to 12 (no real problem, I just downloaded the 13 database) but I'd like to go back to being able to buy FM every year (for better or worse) and wondered if this is likely to do the job: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-m6-1178sa-15-6-laptop-17419990-pdt.htmlIt's well within my budget and looks around 20x better than the one I have at the moment, but I'm a bit thick when it comes to tech specs.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems there's something wrong with the link. I get this message: You don't have permission to access /gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-m6-1178sa-15-6-laptop-17419990-pdt.htmlIt's on this server.

I'll just post the specs, if the link is broken: GENERAL INFORMATION

processor:Intel® Core™ i5-3210M (2.5 GHz (up to 3.1 GHz with TurboBoost), 3 MB L3 Cache)

Operating System Windows 8

RAM 8GB (2 x 4 GB)

Graphics card 2 GB DDR3 dedicated AMD Radeon HD 7670m

Screen type Widescreen HD BrightView LED-backlit

Screen resolution 1366 x 768

Screen size15.6"

Hard drive 1 TB SATA 5400rpm

Optical disk drive SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with double layer support

Memory card reader Digital media card readerUSB 1 x USB 2.03 x USB 3.0

Modem/Ethernet Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

WiFi 802.11 b/g/n with WiFi

I deleted everything after html on the link to view it. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-m6-1178sa-15-6-laptop-17419990-pdt.html I'd say that laptop's probably powerful enough, 2GB of onboard video RAM and 8 GB of system RAM, but I know there's been some compatibility issues with FM13 and Windows 8, hopefully they'd be resolved by FM-14.

And the Beats audio's got to be nice, too...

I deleted everything after html on the link to view it. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-m6-1178sa-15-6-laptop-17419990-pdt.html I'd say that laptop's probably powerful enough, 2GB of onboard video RAM and 8 GB of system RAM, but I know there's been some compatibility issues with FM13 and Windows 8, hopefully they'd be resolved by FM-14. And the Beats audio's got to be nice, too...
Ooh, wasn't aware of the Windows 8 issues... Cheers pal

It will be able to run FM for several years I'm sure. The processor is fine despite it's a mobile processor so will not be as fast as an equivalent desktop processor. The amount of Ram is fine too but would like to know more of the specifications - how fast is the Ram, is it DDR3 or DDR2?

The speed of the HD will make it a bit slow to start the game end when saving. Also I'm not a huge fan of the low res screen. But these two last issues is because I much prefer a desktop to a laptop.

Also what's the price? I don't know much about prices in the UK but perhaps others do...

Gah, just saw the price (podunkboy's recreated link). I wouldn't buy to that price (ok, I know I said I didn't knew about prices in the UK but that just seems too steep). Also it's a HP - would never buy from them...

I wouldn't buy an HP either, although the model I had problems with was a particularly bad one (the graphics card had a habit of melting onto the motherboard. Seriously.). I would also advise that if you can find one with Windows 7 installed, go for that. Or find yourself a copy of Windows 7. Just stay away from 8 generally.

And completely agree about the price. That's robbery for what you're getting. I got a custom Dell one with far better specs for less. I would have a look online (not high street online, but places like ebuyer, misco etc) and you could probably get cheaper.

How about this Asus laptop:

i7 3610QM processor

8gb DDR3 RAM

1tb hard drive

Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M Optimus graphics

15.6" FULL HD Screen

Integrated Bang & Olufsen Speakers

Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit

Will it be fine with future FM's? It's only windows 7, so I'm guessing it must be an old model.. which as me a little worried.

You should have no problems with that one - I have the same CPU and RAM on my Dell and FM13 flies.

Nowt wrong with Win 7 here either - nor Win 8 for that matter. I don't get what everyone's problem is with Win 8.

Archived