*Official Football Manager 2013 Demo Feedback Thread* Keep it all in here please

Not sure if it's a bug or not so not made a thread in the user interface bug section. Just got around to playing the demo and I'm a bit disappointed that I can't use the cursor keys to move up and down the news items. Even after specifically clicking on a news item to make sure I've selected the frame or window. It this intended?

*edt* also, is there a way to turn of the tips popup when the game is processing?

*edt 2* Seems I can now navigate the mail items with the cursor keys....

Playing in windowed mode on Win7.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow, really struggling to win a game on the demo lol i'm arsenal and it's pre season but it seems my defence is leakier than an old mans bladder

is the game tough for everyone or are my tactics messed up?

The only game I've done on the demo was with Arsenal and I struggled big time. By the time the demo had ended around mid January I was sat in 8th in the league with no chance of getting into the Champions League spots, lost like 7-8 games out of the 20 I played in the league. Hope I can do a lot better when it comes to starting my Dortmund save on Friday.

i was arsenal too and had it hard in the beginning. i was in ninth place for the longest time untill late december, where i suddenly started to win things. by the time the demo ended i was fifth. i don't really know what i've been doing wrong. i'm an experienced fm player, but i suppose that changing tactics too often was the one thing that hurt me most (even though i only used the three presets). the other thing may be many new player, even though i used them sparingly.

i don't like the new search mechanics too well. why isn't there a global search field at all times somewhere on the screen? furthermore, i couldn't figure out how to search for other teams.

i don't really understand the new training system. i don't understand why it would be beneficial to train one attribute you want improved, as opposed to train the player with a specific role in mind. for example; if i buy a young back with a low attribute in positioning, naturally i want his positioning stat to increase. but why would i set him to focus only on that and then recieve the general training(hurting his other defensive stats), when he would, i assume, get trained in defensive areas all over on a more specific role focus as left back?

I was Arsenal too in my only go at the demo. Had a few losses but sat firmly on top of the league almost all the time.

That might be because i was using 4-4-2, as i seem to remember that 4-4-2 might be a bit "overpowered" at the moment.

Liverpool and Man Utd were relegation battlers by the end of December, while QPR and Stoke were 2nd and 3rd.

Chelsea were mid-table.

A very weird run on the demo, to say the least. But i enjoyed it :D

Been playing the demo since Friday but don't get much time due to family commitments etc. Only played two competitive game but won both and got my team (Blackburn!) playing some nice passing football! I haven't played since FM2010 but am really enjoying it so far.

Been playing the demo since Friday but don't get much time due to family commitments etc. Only played two competitive game but won both and got my team (Blackburn!) playing some nice passing football! I haven't played since FM2010 but am really enjoying it so far.

Are you playing FMC or the full game?

Hopefully the things I bring up havent been mentioned already, I didnt notice it while skimming through.

I've got my highlights speed on at about 80% so its fairly fast. After a goal the whole team seems to slide/jerk back to their start positions. Its very painful to look at.

I saw mention today of a player called Joel Pohjanpalo, 18 year old striker who plays for Helsinki. Mentioned how he scored 33 goals in 23 games and bigger clubs are after him. But I dont see him in the game anywhere.

Considering we start game in july, some of the things shown in it dont happen till the end of August. Like for example with Liverpool, a few players like Carroll were loaned in the last few days of the transfer window, but in this game they're gone from the beginning when they should be at the club, removing the chance of being able to use team or sell them etc. I dont see why this has to mimic something that happens in the future.

I must add I'm not a fan of the font style and size for the emails. They're different to everything else in the game. More squished and smaller. Sort of annoying to read. Will we ever get the option to change these for email letters. Maybe with colours for names and teams to make them stand out a little more. I believe the font size is far too small for it. Way too much wasted space around it of all white nothing. It should be able to be improved.

Are you playing FMC or the full game?

Full game. I haven't really read much in to FMC and not sure about it so thought I'd play it safe. I like the amount of detail in the full game though and I'm not sure I'd really want to lose any of that, despite not having much time to devote to it.

The matchday screen for "only commentary" is just horrible. Honestly when i started the match i thought i had clicked a different option.. why on gods green earth is there so many stupid things on the matchday screen? I got my own teams ratings, the other team and 100 other irrelevant pieces of information available for no reason, at least give me the option to remove them. I've been playing these games since the early 90's and have never missed a first day purchase however this game has disappointed with some of the menu layouts and all that rubbish. Whenever i've purchased a new FM/CM whatever its never been foreign to me even if it has had a few minor tweaks to the menu system or what not but this time i feel like a complete alien and it sucks to be frank.

Just my 2 cents.

The matchday screen for "only commentary" is just horrible. Honestly when i started the match i thought i had clicked a different option.. why on gods green earth is there so many stupid things on the matchday screen?

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with that and i wanted to say it.I liked some new things but the match day screen for "only commentary" is bad.So many things all together and not an option to watch just the overview (scorers, cards like before).

Also it was nice the bar that was all the top with the colors of teams like

............... .......................... .. Home Team ... .... 1 time 0 .............. .... Away team

................................................. scorer 36'

now it's like a little top left corner

Home Team 0 time 0 Away team

Not sure how much of this is still relevant with the full released but here goes:

Tactics screen during the matches:

The shirts are tiny, and almost impossible to see the numbers on the shirts. Seems to be a bug that is probably fixed.

Proposed Affiliates:

Nothing happens when pressing the 'Recommend Team' button.

Edit: It seems that the first club where I press the button, is actually selected ... but you are not returned to the mailbox, so you think nothing is happening, and you are still able to press the button again or the Reject button.

Releasing Youth players:

Started a game as Fremad Amager in the danish second division. My DoF always releases all the youngsters who do not have an expire date on their Yth contracts. He only keeps the ones that have expire date the following summer. Why is he doing this?

I've noticed most people's problems with the ME now: the ball doesn't slow down as it travels along the floor... While not a major problem when player to player, as the pass has already been calculated, surely, when passed into space it looks ridiculous even if it actually has no effect on the actual gameplay. Has this been fixed and does it include different deceleration speeds for difference playing surface qualities? That would be a nice touch.

Apart from this, after spending a while with the ME, I realise it is actually damn good. It plays much more like a game of football and in a possession orientated Liverpool team I had 3 players making more than 100 passes each, something impossible on FM12. These passes didn't necessarily go straight to the other player, they were played to a small area around the other player, so more movement was necessary and they weren't always inch perfect. There seems to be more natural standing challenges now, too and some of the players who are able to create space IRL are making space somehow, which is good. I noticed off the ball is much more obvious: in FM12 it was more hidden and you couldn't really notice it, so far I've seen P.Cisse arrive on the end of a cross from nowhere, absolutely perfectly with no defenders: just like IRL, perfect. Well done on that front.

I managed to create the perfect IRL Liverpool tactic: 4 million chances and 1 goal, lol. I have a problem with the away matches, though, as I think the difference in difficulty is too much. I've seen one GK error and it was more realistic than previous GK errors, but I can't say that's conclusive as it's only one. Player positioning, I don't understand the gripes as they've basically turned up in the places I've wanted them to be and I like the way the defense moves across from one side to the other if a FB has galloped upfield. It's something that wasn't in the game before 09? but has improved every edition since. The covering from a player when someone is down is also good. I would like to try it out with a more Suarezey Suarez, though, as of all the players, he doesn't play like he should, imo. It's not far off, but his scampering isn't quite the same. These issues are completely arbitrary, though, as everyone has slightly different opinions on player attributes.

I still haven't figured out how to get the best out of training and some of the other features, but the ME changes see it come in far apart from FM12. It's a much more realistic operation on pitch and much more difficult too. The transfer market seems a bit...inflated, but it is IRL, so that isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, there has always been a history of bargains and they're a bit different in this game to previously: a bit contorted, maybe. But that might iron itself out with more play, who knows. I wouldn't hesitate in buying this in previous years but I don't think I can really say it's worth it for me because of the cost of the game. €50 is a bit steep, imo, but that is a problem with the unrealistic ideas the game industry and other "arts" have with pricing and is a problem I have had for a while. I know the amount of work that went in but considering the reach of the game and the amount of copies it WILL sell, €50 is going to include a fair profit. Which brings me onto the main point.

Why the unfair pricing strategy? I know it's not SI, it's SEGA, but to be able to pick up the game for €33 in the UK and only be able to pick it up here in Hungary at the €50 steam price... Surely digital d/l's should be cheaper, so this is also a Steam issue as well as SEGA. It's something that really isn't fair for consumers here and there is no good reason for it. I don't see that the benefits SEGA and Steam bring to SI are worth the problems they bring to the player. Much like other massive companies, they don't care about us at all and just want our money in their pocket: they don't care about a well rounded game, they just want you to make something that they can sell for an inflated price.

So, SI: well done. SEGA and Steam: please can you do something about this, it's insane and unfair.

Archived