FM13: Southampton F.C. - Reasons to be cheerful - Part 3!

Matthew Le God

Hello,

I'm starting a new season with the Southampton and, if possible, to give me what's the best role for Lallana and Ramirez?

I'm playing in a 4-2-3-1:

GR: Boruc (GR - Defender)

RB: Clyne (FB - Attack)

CB: Fontes (CB - Block)

CB: Hooiveld (CB - Defend)

LB: Fox (FB - Defend)

CM: Schneiderlin (Winning ball - Defend)

CM: Steven Davis (constructor game - Support)

AMR: Mayuka (IF - Attack)

AMC: Ramirez (IF - Attack)

AML: Lallana (Winger - Support)

PL: Lambert (back striker - Support

I couldn't get this formation to work for me so went for a 4-4-1-1.

Thing is Schneiderlin really is a DLP, he's not that good at being a ball winner or anchor man. Also in that formation you will leave your centre-backs very exposed (and neither is that good, I would suggest investing all your transfer efforts here and at LB) because your BWM will roam out of position to get the ball back and Davis and CLyne will make forward runs, so you will be left with just Fonte, Hooiveld and Fox back who are possibly your worst players!

I would suggest if you want to play that formation getting an 'anchor man' type player in there to play at DMC (Jack Cork might be able to re-train to play here, he''s got some potential and is pretty adaptable) and then have Davis as a box to box and Schneiderlin as DLP in front of him. Then play Ramirez as an Inside Forward at (AMR) and let Clyne overlap him. You might struggle for width though having hima nd Lallan as inside forwards as Lallana's best position is Inside Forward at AML.

For me Ramirez worked best as an Attacking Midfielder in a support duty, he would stay in the whole picking out passes and making late runs into the box when the situation called for it. I retrained Lallana to play on the wing and fiddled with his settings a bit, he seems to do ok as an MR even though he isn't that quick.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lallana is definatley not a winger, his crossing is poor/average and his strengths I think are better down the middle,

I'm retraining him as a AMC and using him as an inside forward, maybe a playmaker but he doesn't particularly make the necessary passes often enough

If you do use him out wide I'd definatley use inside forward or playmaker,

Ramirez isn't old enough, but he will be in a few years. I'm just finishing my third season and he's been awesome in my AMC role scoing goals for fun (I think he's also Ward-Prowse's tutor as well). Mayuka has trailed off a bit and I think I am going to sell him, I re-trained him as a MR but he's now down the pecking order as I have Oxlaide-Chamberlain for that position, Lallana as back up and I bought a Brazilian called Adryan and re-trained him for that position.

I have Jay-Rod playing as a poacher, his finishing, pace, acceleration and off the ball are all 16 and he has a whopping 19 for composure now. He's been my top scorer for the last 3 seasons and is an England regular.

I have ward-prowse as an AMC, been training him to play there and he's just become natural at it, his creativity, flair, first touch, dribbling and technique have all got to about 16. Him and Luke Shaw are developing into top class players. Boruc is also a good tutor but Gazzinga doesn't develop that well, don;t think his PA is that high.

My second season I bought some players that could tutor some of my younger players and play in the first team while the youngsters were improving.

Mayuka has been fantastic for me, so far.

He has only made 1 starting appearance but has 7 goals, all of the bench. I think this is because of his pace that I made to 17, 16 which I don't think is too unrealistic? I do agree though he is never going to be amazing. Jay Rod I agree I always thought of him more as rickie lambert lite but looking at his stats and having him play for me I am starting to agree.

Rickie Lambert though has been stale for me I don't know why.

And gazzaniga why isn't is potential slightly higher? I know he is never going to be world class but I don't see why he isn't going to become a decent premier league keeper.

I am using a 4 3 1 2 with relative success (but I need help)

I started with no budgets so I do plan to tweak the roles when I get more defensive options

boruc sk a

clyne wb s

font bpd stopper

hooviel ld c

fow wb s

davis bbm

schneiderlin bwm (Just read your post and agree that I should probably have a more defensive role)

cork dlp support (he swaps with davis)

lallana/ramirez amc inside forward support

jay rod/mayuka poacher

Lambert target man

I know what your going to say that it's to attacking, but they way I see it even if I played defensive the defence is poor enough to still let in a few goals. So at the moment I'm just looking at out scoring the opposition

I do need help with the three mc roles though I don't have a clue what to do. I think maybe I should have the dlp to defend but how defensive is it? I also thought of having a anchorman but wouldn't that make the formation even narrower?

Lallana is definatley not a winger, his crossing is poor/average and his strengths I think are better down the middle,

I'm retraining him as a AMC and using him as an inside forward, maybe a playmaker but he doesn't particularly make the necessary passes often enough

If you do use him out wide I'd definatley use inside forward or playmaker,

He's worked out fine for me as a normal (ish) winger you just have to adjust his instructions a little, you have to remember as well that he is either footed so this eats up a lot of his CA but it means he plays better than he looks. In my 3rd season he has dropped down the pecking order a bit (only rated as a 3 star player) but he seems to perform pretty well as back up in most positions (Ml, MR, AMC). His crossing and pace isn't great but he can cut inside (he has trained a PPM) and can cross/pass with either foot so he sets up a lot of goals for me. He's probably only started 10 games or so for me this year but his average rating is nearly 8.

Mayuka has been fantastic for me, so far.

He has only made 1 starting appearance but has 7 goals, all of the bench. I think this is because of his pace that I made to 17, 16 which I don't think is too unrealistic? I do agree though he is never going to be amazing. Jay Rod I agree I always thought of him more as rickie lambert lite but looking at his stats and having him play for me I am starting to agree.

He was good the first two seasons, he's reached 3 and 1/2 stars and plays pretty well but I've got better players. He gets to about 16/16 for pace and acceleration and again he's either footed, he's pretty good as an AMR or up front as a poacher. I don't think rodriguez has enough of the mental stats to be able to set people up so seeing as I knew he wouldn't have a huge amount of PA to play with I really focussed him on improving his finishing and composure. It's really paid off and he's a quality poacher but still has 15 for jumping and 14 for heading so scores a few headed goals as well. He basically runs the channels and latches onto through balls and creates space for Ramirez behind him.

Rickie Lambert though has been stale for me I don't know why.

Yep couldn't get him to work, he had about 19 starts and 3 goals, gave him a few chances in other games after that and off the ebnch and he didn't score. I don't think he works as a lone striker. Sold him to QPR in the end.

And gazzaniga why isn't is potential slightly higher? I know he is never going to be world class but I don't see why he isn't going to become a decent premier league keeper.

Yeh, but remember he was only at Gillingham last year, he'll probably be a bit better next year but he;s not worth the development effort IMO. 2 and 1/2 stars potential at best.

I am using a 4 3 1 2 with relative success (but I need help)

I started with no budgets so I do plan to tweak the roles when I get more defensive options

boruc sk a

clyne wb s

font bpd stopper

hooviel ld c

fow wb s

davis bbm

schneiderlin bwm (Just read your post and agree that I should probably have a more defensive role)

cork dlp support (he swaps with davis)

lallana/ramirez amc inside forward support

jay rod/mayuka poacher

Lambert target man

I know what your going to say that it's to attacking, but they way I see it even if I played defensive the defence is poor enough to still let in a few goals. So at the moment I'm just looking at out scoring the opposition

I do need help with the three mc roles though I don't have a clue what to do. I think maybe I should have the dlp to defend but how defensive is it? I also thought of having a anchorman but wouldn't that make the formation even narrower?

It's quite narrow so your fullbacks will need to provide width and Jay Rod/Mayuka will need to work the channels. Clyne will do ok but I don't think Fox has the pace to play like a wing back.

You'll need to fiddle with the setting to see where your 3 MC's go, having Davis as BtBM might mean he will be competing in the same space as the AMC, and like I said above a BWM will chase the ball around so might be out of position and not protecting your back 4. I think Cork and Schneiderlin need their roles swapped and I would try changing cork to a DMC to sit in front of the back four as they need some protection.

Also give as much game time to JWP and Shaw as you can, even though neither are that good at the start it's worth it for their development. JWP for me after 3 seasons is already better than Davis was at the start and he's only 20.

I'll get some screenies up later once I get home. There is huge potential in that Saints squad but you have to bear with it the first 6 months or so as it takes a while for the team to get used to you and your formations etc. However once they do and you add a few key signings the team is very good:-

First season:- 5th and FA cup final loss.

2nd Season:- Won the league and EURO Cup final loss.

3rd season:- Won the league and FA cup final to come.

Hello and thanks for the help.

Thing is Schneiderlin really is a DLP, he's not that good at being a ball winner or anchor man.

For me Ramirez worked best as an Attacking Midfielder in a support duty, he would stay in the whole picking out passes and making late runs into the box when the situation called for it. I retrained Lallana to play on the wing and fiddled with his settings a bit, he seems to do ok as an MR even though he isn't that quick.

About the tactic, you have a good point, so you propose to use a 4-4-1-1 instead of a 4-2-3-1, but I will not have an ancor man. Thats no problem with Schneiderlin as a DLP and Davis as box to box? Or i put Schneiderlin in the DMC position with the role DLP and Davis in MC in a box to box role?

About Lambert you prefer him as a Target Man alone in the front? (i don't like targets man...)

In a 4-4-1-1 i will lose Mayuka in the first 11...

What about something like this:

DM: Schneiderlin (DLP - ?)

CM: Steven Davis (Box to Box - Support)

MR: Lallana (Winger - Support)

AML: Mayuka (IF - Attack)

AMC: Ramirez (AM - Support)

PL: Lambert (Target Man - Support)

Hello and thanks for the help.

About the tactic, you have a good point, so you propose to use a 4-4-1-1 instead of a 4-2-3-1, but I will not have an ancor man. Thats no problem with Schneiderlin as a DLP and Davis as box to box? Or i put Schneiderlin in the DMC position with the role DLP and Davis in MC in a box to box role?

About Lambert you prefer him as a Target Man alone in the front? (i don't like targets man...)

In a 4-4-1-1 i will lose Mayuka in the first 11...

What about something like this:

CM: Steven Davis (Box to Box - Support)

ML: Lallana (Winger - Support)

AMR: Mayuka (IF - Attack)

PL: Lambert (Target Man - Support)

I couldn't get a 4-2-3-1 formation to work, something was off with the midfield 2 and the AMC, plus my full backs got too exposed. I couldn't flip to a 4-1-2-2-1 because I didn't have the right player for the DMC role and Ramirez didn't like playing as an MC. So I flipped to a 4-4-1-1 with Lallana as MR and I had Wellington Nem as a ML, with Ramirez as an AMC and Rodriguez as a Poacher. I then had Schneiderlin as a MC set to a defensive midfielder on defend and Davis as DLP. This seemed to create a nice little triangle in the midfield and my two central midfielders didn't stray too far out of position.

I'm presuming that's an Asymmetric formation?

Could work although, a few issues I foresee:-

- Your right side is very attacking, Mayuka is pushed forward and on attacking and then clyne is also attacking, this may leave gaps on your right side.

- Davis, Mayuka and Ramirez might all be competing for the same space. Same with Lambert on support (as he will drop deeper).

- Target man is more suited to direct football so I would have Lambert as an advanced forward on attack. He needs to lead the line, hold up the ball and create space for Ramirez. Having someone getting down the wing and crossing for him would also help.

- You can create an 'inside forward' type role for a wide player with player instructions even if they sit further back, that's what I did with Lallana to make use of his either footedness.

- Personally I'm not sure about Davis, his stats look good but I found it difficult to find a role for him, the likes of Lallana and Ramirez are better as more creative players and he doesn't work that well defensively, I would look into playing Cork as a defensive minded MC, he;s got a bit of PA and has decent defensive stats so you can mold him into the sort of player you want, he also re-trains roles quite well so could play a new position (in my game he is now a natural right back and has got into the England team a few times)

BTW Spoiler about PA's:-

Gaston Ramirez has a 175 PA, only 6 players in the game start with higher. Also Luke Shaw and James Ward Prowse have -9 PA)

I dunno if it makes a difference but the formation positionally is this

boruc

cylene fonte hoovield fox

davis (bbm) cork (dlp) schniderlin (bwm)

ramirez if

lambert rod

would that affect anything, mainly the 3 cm (ie like you said bbm competing with the amc)

I dunno why but I don't like the idea of having a dmc, at least for now, maybe it's aesthetically on the tactic screen it looks way to narrow

I also start with very fluid and control, which I don't think is helping atm.

Also does anyone think a AF and poacher will work well, as target man isn't working with my passing game.

I dunno if it makes a difference but the formation positionally is this

boruc

cylene fonte hoovield fox

davis (bbm) cork (dlp) schniderlin (bwm)

ramirez if

lambert rod

would that affect anything, mainly the 3 cm (ie like you said bbm competing with the amc)

I dunno why but I don't like the idea of having a dmc, at least for now, maybe it's aesthetically on the tactic screen it looks way to narrow

I also start with very fluid and control, which I don't think is helping atm.

Also does anyone think a AF and poacher will work well, as target man isn't working with my passing game.

I'm a big fan of the 'anchor man' type role, having a man sitting protecting the back four seems good to me. However it's less about how they line up on the tactics screen and more where they end up playing on the pitch. Check the analysis tab and then their average positions, see where they are actually playing, who they are passing to and where they are making their runs. From their you should be able to see where they interact. You effectively have 4 central based midfielders who should sit in a sort of staggered diamond (ish) with Cork at the base, Davis bombing forward, Schniederlin chasing everything down and then Ramirez at the point.

Why is Ramirez an inside forward? is he paying centrally of off to one side? Do you want him to cut in or do you just like the 'inside forward' settings?

Like I said to the guy above personally I'm not sure Davis has a role, you might be better trying to find a place for Lallana in there.

I'm not sure you have the players for very fluid, the likes of Cork and Fonte/Hooiveld aren't really good enough at their own jobs, maybe make it balanced, or at least just fluid.

Player combos should work well, Poacher on attack + Target Man on Support is a good combo, but not necessarily with an AMC as Lambert will drop into the same space as Ramirez, Lambert also has fairly good creativity and decisions so might be able to play as a deep lying forward.

You could try:-

GK Boruc

DL Fox (full back) on defend

DC Fonte (Central defender on defend)

DC Hooiveld (limited defender on defend)

DR Clyne (full back on support)

MC Schneiderlin (DLP support)

MC Cork (Defensive midfielder on defend) (on Clyne's side so gives some more defensive protection when he (Clyne) makes forward runs)

AML Lallana (winger on attack, mixed wide play) (adds some width but can also come inside and will run at box, as he starts more advanced needs less pace than a traditional winger who starts from deeper. He also has high flair and creativity so you can set his creative freedom high and just let him do his stuff is his natural position)

AMR Ramirez (inside forward on support) (comes insider and creates space for Clyne overlap, drops into the hole)

SC: Jay Rod/Mayuka (Poacher on attack)

SC: Lambert (Deep lying forward on support)

In that formation both Lambert and Ramirez will drop off the front of the defence but with Ramirez starting wider they shouldn't get in the way, Lallana will provide some width out wide and as he starts further forward than a normal winger he won't need as much pace as he would starting from a deeper position so he can use his dribbling to create chances. Both Cork and Schneiderlin will hold a solid position in midfield giving you passing options form the back and extra defensive protection. C=yne can overlap on wide right into space from Ramirez drifting inside. Utilises lots of 'role pairs' - defensive/attacking full backs, winger/inside forward, DLF/Poacher.

well to be honest the inside forward thing was hoping that he would move out wide when appropriate and fine space across the line. It hasn't worked better than any other AMC role though so I might look to switch it up.

I might upload the tactic later to get some opinions.

About the lallana thing, I have thought about having him deep but then I feel that it will effectively become a midfield 2 with lallana just a deeper attacking player, but I guess if davis was there he wouldn't be doing much more than that. and I suppose being deeper he can control the game a bit more

Just noticed the team help. I sort of agree, maybe I'm taking the outscore the opposition a bit to seriously as I reckon I can cut down goals scored against me. I dunno about the formation though, maybe it's because I'm into having rare formations and getting them to work. I'll try it though.

I have had some decent results. When it works it works well but when it doesn't I get thrashed 8-0 man united

I'm presuming that's an Asymmetric formation?

Could work although, a few issues I foresee:-

- Your right side is very attacking, Mayuka is pushed forward and on attacking and then clyne is also attacking, this may leave gaps on your right side.

You didn't saw my last edit, I corrected that flaw.

So it will be like this:

CM: Cork (MC - Defend)

St: Lambert ( Adv Fwrd - attack)

Changes: Lambert as Adv Fwrd and put Cork with MC/defend role.

Schneiderlin in as DM or MC?

I think that i won't have money to get a new ML or MR, so I can play with a 4-4-1-1. I have €6 M.

One note I want to play a high pressure and ball control game.

You didn't saw my last edit, I corrected that flaw.

So it will be like this:

CM: Cork (MC - Defend)

St: Lambert ( Adv Fwrd - attack)

Changes: Lambert as Adv Fwrd and put Cork with MC/defend role.

Schneiderlin in as DM or MC?

I think that i won't have money to get a new ML or MR, so I can play with a 4-4-1-1. I have €6 M.

One note I want to play a high pressure and ball control game.

Aah looks a lot more stable, Lambert should stay up top, if you set him as hold up ball, play to feet and short passing he should bring in your other attacking players. Still think having an attacking fullback and an inside forward will work well rather than a winger + attacking full back but you could give Lallana a bit more creative freedom and set his wide play to 'normal' not 'hugs touch line'. As then he can use his either footedness to come inside. I bought Wellington Nem for £3.5 million and he plays very well as an ML but can play AMC, AML, AMR as well and be trained up in any of those positions. Will be interesting to see how Cork and Schneiderlin work.

Anyone got any screenshots of JWP and Luke Shaw a few seasons in? I'm curious as to how good they can become.

Will post some later at end of season 3, Shaw is still only 19 though so his stats aren't amazing.

So you suggest to put Lallana as Inside Fwrd in a MR position (not AMR)? And keep Clyne as Attacking fullback?

About the DM position I will need a sub, maybe Zanetti? (good DLP and for free)

With this defense I'm realising that it's importante to have a DM just to have someone in the area, with or without a AML.

I will try Wellington, but i think that the inicial price was more them 3,5 M €.

So you suggest to put Lallana as Inside Fwrd in a MR position (not AMR)? And keep Clyne as Attacking fullback?

About the DM position I will need a sub, maybe Zanetti? (good DLP and for free)

With this defense I'm realising that it's importante to have a DM just to have someone in the area, with or without a AML.

I will try Wellington, but i think that the inicial price was more them 3,5 M €.

Lallana's best position is AML as an inside forward, however he's pretty adaptable and did well for me at MR. I more meant you could fiddle with his instructions to play less like a traditional winger at MR. Like say Nasri did for Arsenal. But yeah he could play Inside Forward on the right (AMR) as well cutting in, if you give him some creative freedom to make use of his good flair and creativity he will just do his own thing anyway (you could have roam from position).

Wellington Nem has a £3.5 million minimum fee release clause, not sure what it is in Euros though!

Agree that the defence needs protection from the midfield. In my 4-4-1-1, both central midfielders are set to defend, one is a DLP and one is a defensive midfielder. They sit in the middle breaking up attacks and allow my wingers to bomb on.

What role do you give to Well Nem?

I'm seeing that theres no advantage to have a AML (without Lallana there) and without a AML the tactics looks strange with a DM, like a 4-1-3-1-1 (it's strange the DM side).

Played with him at ML, turned him into a natural winger.

Screen shots from May 2015:-

Premiership - englishpremierdivisionov.png

Luke Shaw - lukeshawoverviewprofile.png

James Ward-Prowse - jameswardprowseoverview.png

Wellington Nem - wellingtonnemoverviewpr.png

Gaston - gastnramrezoverviewprof.png

Jay Rod - jayrodriguezoverviewpro.png

Paul Curtis, my best regen so far - paulcurtisoverviewprofi.png

Just started a game as the Saints. I'm thinking I need to bring in a new LB because Fox looks a bit out of depth, currently I'm looking at bringing in Neil Taylor from Swansea. Any other recommendations? Formation wise im thinking of going for a 4-4-2 with the wingers pushed on so I can have both Lambert and Jay Rod upfront.

Had a 'bet' with some mates, all had to start up save with a side predicted to finish 14th or less. I choose the Saints due to my admiration for R. Lambert. Needless to say the big man didn't disappoint! rotated between a 4-4-2 and a 4-2-3-1, had great success, winning the LC and finishing 3rd in the league! not sure ill continue the save just yet, but was great fun!

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-2.png

Just started a game as the Saints. I'm thinking I need to bring in a new LB because Fox looks a bit out of depth, currently I'm looking at bringing in Neil Taylor from Swansea. Any other recommendations? Formation wise im thinking of going for a 4-4-2 with the wingers pushed on so I can have both Lambert and Jay Rod upfront.

What about Drenthe? I'm trying to bring him and adapt him to LD, you want one more defensive?

They both look class Tajjuk (Shaw and JWP) Although so do Nem, Gaston, Rodriguez and the super regen you have (added bonus he's english)

Thanks for the screenies fella.

No worries, Shaw pretty much took over as first choice left back this year and he's only a few attribute increases from being top quality. JWP is coming along nicely was a bit worried when he broke his ankle and was out for 6 months (had 17 for dribbling at that point which hasn't recovered) but he seems to have benefitted well from tutoring.

My regen was from the first season's crop and he's just been capped by England (just after that screenshot) not only is English though he's also a Southampton fan born and bred!

The only annoying thing is Nem and Ramirez have both now been at Saints for 3 years and neither speak any English.

Nice finish there Matty, 1pt off the title!

I got about £6 million in the first season through selling chaplow, lee, richardson,

Thanks mate, I'll have a look at getting rid of those. Looking to bring in Aaron Cresswell at Left Back and Jores Okore at Centre Back.

Any other positions I should look to strenghten?

Thanks mate, I'll have a look at getting rid of those. Looking to bring in Aaron Cresswell at Left Back and Jores Okore at Centre Back.

Yeh left back and centre back are key, probably you would want another wide player.

I get:

- Drenthe (free)

- Welington Nem

- Stefan Strandberg

Now I'm looking to have a LB. Jonathan Parr or Cresswell... but I don't like them much them Fox...

Tajjuk....wondering how you set up your 4-4-1-1 because i'm currently looking to get the most out of that as I like the formation in real life as it offers more solidity on the flanks.

First season;-

GK - Boruc - Default GK

DR/DL - Cork/Clyne automatic, sometimes defend depending on the opposition (particularly Chelsea or other teams with very attacking and quality wide players)

DC - Fonte/Okore - default DCs

ML/MR - Wellington Nem/Lallana/Mayuka - Wingers/Attack

MCL- Schniederlin - Defensive midfielder/defend (check his closing down settings, don't want it too high)

MCR - Davis - DLP/Defend sometimes support if a really sitting back team.

AMC - Gaston - Attacking Midfielder/support

SC - Jay Rod - Poacher

Fiddled with individual sliders to stop players doing stuff they weren't good at (like Morgan Schniederlin with long shots)

Overall mixed between balanced/control/attack, but pretty much always fluid unless protecting a lead.

Shorter passing, press more, man marking, mixed crosses, counter attack ticked.

Defensive line a few notches from the middle towards deeper, width a few above normal.

tempo similar to defensive line, time wasting to sometimes.

And then watch how it works in game a bit, hopefully your midfield 3 should form a little triangle with the left MC sitting a little deeper, the wingers bomb into the channels and the poacher keeps the defence away from your midfield. Just watch sometimes that he doesn't get isolated if the other team are quite defence heavy push the DLP to support and the AMC to attack to get more bodies forward.

First season;-

GK - Boruc - Default GK

DR/DL - Cork/Clyne automatic, sometimes defend depending on the opposition (particularly Chelsea or other teams with very attacking and quality wide players)

DC - Fonte/Okore - default DCs

ML/MR - Wellington Nem/Lallana/Mayuka - Wingers/Attack

MCL- Schniederlin - Defensive midfielder/defend (check his closing down settings, don't want it too high)

MCR - Davis - DLP/Defend sometimes support if a really sitting back team.

AMC - Gaston - Attacking Midfielder/support

SC - Jay Rod - Poacher

Fiddled with individual sliders to stop players doing stuff they weren't good at (like Morgan Schniederlin with long shots)

Overall mixed between balanced/control/attack, but pretty much always fluid unless protecting a lead.

Shorter passing, press more, man marking, mixed crosses, counter attack ticked.

Defensive line a few notches from the middle towards deeper, width a few above normal.

tempo similar to defensive line, time wasting to sometimes.

And then watch how it works in game a bit, hopefully your midfield 3 should form a little triangle with the left MC sitting a little deeper, the wingers bomb into the channels and the poacher keeps the defence away from your midfield. Just watch sometimes that he doesn't get isolated if the other team are quite defence heavy push the DLP to support and the AMC to attack to get more bodies forward.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like a very solid setup that obviously has got you results.

I seem to not be able to get past 6th place, defence is all over the place still! Didn't spend much money in the summer 2015 window as I'm looking to bring youth through and make profits.

My team at the moment:

Steele

Clyne - Kjaer - Clark - Santon

Cork - Davis

Nasri - Ramirez - Lallana

Ibrahimovic/Lambert

Subs: Gazzaniga, Shaw, Hinteregger, Ward-Prowse, Pedro Leon, Forestieri, Rodriguez

I lost Schneiderlin to PSG for £11.5m as I stupidly put a buyout clause into his contract, but it gives me the chance to involve JWP more, Ibrahimovic was a free signing and he's on £65k a week, which isn't too bad for a player of his calibre. Decided to give myself control of transfers as I was sick of Nic/Reed trying to sign Steven Fletcher for £20m+!

Played with him at ML, turned him into a natural winger.

Screen shots from May 2015:-

Premiership - englishpremierdivisionov.png

Luke Shaw - lukeshawoverviewprofile.png

James Ward-Prowse - jameswardprowseoverview.png

Wellington Nem - wellingtonnemoverviewpr.png

Gaston - gastnramrezoverviewprof.png

Jay Rod - jayrodriguezoverviewpro.png

Paul Curtis, my best regen so far - paulcurtisoverviewprofi.png

Hey, I was wondering who you used as a tutor for luke shaw to get his determination up?

@Lewis999, It's 4 at the back, DMC, 2 MC's, AMl, AMC, AMR. Still tweaking the settings but have been busy recently so not played the game that much. Once I get it sorted I'll post some screenies.

@AlexCRONALDO, bought a player in called Bedlimo (sp?) from Montpellier, he was quite expensive but is a decent left back as well, was about 29 and had 16 determination. Shaw can play DL, DR, WBL, ML, AML, MR , AMR though so you could get a tutor from any of those positions but I didn't have anyone suitable at the time as my squad was really young. Bought 3 players in the second season specifically as 'stop gap' players who could tutor as I don't usually buy players who are above about 27 in age.

How did peoples first season go. I was so disheartened as I was doing very poorly early on, I was almost about to restart (I wouldn't normally but my saints save isn't as serious and is more just as a test save, and I could see how well people did on here) then I started picking up results and am going to finish respectably. A lot of the posts on here are about doing excellent in the first season (6th, 5th ect.) and I was just wondering were you in that form all season or did you have a surge near then end. I think it was to do with my 4 3 1 2, which I had to change due to injuries. But I still want to feel I created a working tactic that was unique.

Also I find that as I don't really adapt my tactics I'm doing little all season, and I know I should just adapt match on match, ect but I'm finding it hard so anyideas?

In season 1 I ended in 10 place, second season 6th then 3th season 1st and 4th season 2nd.

Playing a 4-2-3-1 system, been tweaking it over the seasons and not realy happy with before half way into my 5th season.

I use same formation, but have made 3 "versions" of it. The only real difference are the Strategy.

How was the first season, form wise. I was relegation material first half and got on a run and am finishing 10th. I feel weird as I know a lot of people have finished top ten and was wondering how good the early season form was,

I feel I have ruined my save though. Rickie lambert had a bad injury and hasn't gone down much but isn't as effective. (Who worked really well in CF until his injury). Also Luke Shaw and Chambers I sent on loan but they have had month long injurys and a slight decrease. I am wondering if I shouldn't have loaned them and tutored them instead and if I have ruined there potential with the injuries/loans. As this is my fun save I feel like I want to start again, for a variety of reasons. Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Also how are the second season budgets

If I remember correctly I had a pretty decent budget second season. I used Jay Rodriguez most in second season and he became my top goalscorer with 22 goals in premier league. Chambers have not developed into a first team player for me in my game. Luke Shaw I used as second option on LB in season two, made him my first choice in season 3.

Any chance one of you could post a screenshot of Luke Shaw after a few seasons? Looks good in the screenshot above. Looking at buying him for my Swansea side as an understudy for Neil Taylor. Thanks in advance. Oh and nice thread by the way, makes me feel like I should spruce up my Swans thread.

have returned to my saints save after a bit of a brake

have started to pick up points and sit 7th at Christmas season 2.

few players have found themselves transfer listed that i like the look of. sticking to the uk player preference chris smalling and aaron ramsey both for sale. opinions?

Full backs

Summer signing Nathaniel Clyne is a very good prospect at right back. Very fast and has high potential. At left back is where you will see one of the squads weak points, Scottish international Danny Fox lacks pace and is often caught out positionally. He is someone you should look to replace quickly.

The depth is also poor in fallback areas, Frazer Richardson is the replacement rightback and will struggle in the Premier League and at left back there is very little in the way of good cover from Seaborne or Dickson until 17 year old Luke Shaw is ready to play.

Screenshot2012-10-18at175340.png

Screenshot2012-10-18at175432.png

What skin is this? the player shirt and number at the bottom left is awesome!!! also if this is FMC is there a skin like this for the full game?

How did peoples first season go. I was so disheartened as I was doing very poorly early on, I was almost about to restart (I wouldn't normally but my saints save isn't as serious and is more just as a test save, and I could see how well people did on here) then I started picking up results and am going to finish respectably. A lot of the posts on here are about doing excellent in the first season (6th, 5th ect.) and I was just wondering were you in that form all season or did you have a surge near then end. I think it was to do with my 4 3 1 2, which I had to change due to injuries. But I still want to feel I created a working tactic that was unique.

Also I find that as I don't really adapt my tactics I'm doing little all season, and I know I should just adapt match on match, ect but I'm finding it hard so anyideas?

I finished 5th, but my start wasn't great. Think I was about 14th ish around December. I changed formation and went for Jay Rod up front and my fortunes improved dramatically. Takes a while for the team to get used to the tactics, you and enw players.

I feel I have ruined my save though. Rickie lambert had a bad injury and hasn't gone down much but isn't as effective. (Who worked really well in CF until his injury). Also Luke Shaw and Chambers I sent on loan but they have had month long injurys and a slight decrease. I am wondering if I shouldn't have loaned them and tutored them instead and if I have ruined there potential with the injuries/loans. As this is my fun save I feel like I want to start again, for a variety of reasons. Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Also how are the second season budgets

I sent Luke Shaw on loan first season, but he's developed better with me. He's very young so has loads of time to reach his PA so I wouldn't worry about it. Get him tutored though to get that determination and professionalism up. Chambers didn't really develop for me, he's been on loan for a several seasons but my AM didn't rate him high enough PA so he's been released. Don't worry about injuries either, JWP got a bad broken ankle and was out for 6 months but he's developed nicely, just get those good tutors and get their determination up. Budget wise I got a bout £30 million.

Any chance one of you could post a screenshot of Luke Shaw after a few seasons? Looks good in the screenshot above. Looking at buying him for my Swansea side as an understudy for Neil Taylor. Thanks in advance. Oh and nice thread by the way, makes me feel like I should spruce up my Swans thread.

Just finished my 4th season and will post some screen shots later. He's turning into a class left back, has been capped 3 times by England, 'could be the next Gareth Bale' is quite apt, on my game he has reached 3* currently with 5* potential, yet he has 16 for pace, acceleration, stamina, techinique, crossing, teamwork, work rate, as well as 17 for dribbling!

Remember though he has -9 PA so will have anything between 150 and 180 PA in any given game, so will be at least a good player but he could be a world class left back

have returned to my saints save after a bit of a brake

have started to pick up points and sit 7th at Christmas season 2.

few players have found themselves transfer listed that i like the look of. sticking to the uk player preference chris smalling and aaron ramsey both for sale. opinions?

I'd say yes to both, especially if the sale is good, I presume both have decent PA left as well?

Just finished my 1st season so thought I'd get involved with this thread. Was cruising in 5th for most of the season then had a nightmare last 10 games. Not got a clue on signings for next season though. Any thoughts?

Tutors for JWP and Shaw especially (and any decent regens you get which you will). I also can't recommend Jan Kirchoff any more highly. The guy has been superbe for me and he has now hit his peak and has 20 jumping and 19 pace. Pretty much every game my AM highlights how good he is being during games.

Wellington Nem has also been outstanding for me, worth over £20 million now, 20 for dribbling, high pace and acceleration, he's unplayable at times.

You won't need a massive amount of signings though as the core of the team Jay Rod, Cork, Clyne, Scheiderlin, Ramirez, Mayuka all improve and are better players after a season or two. They will all become around 3 1/2* rated top premiership palyers and you will be able to sell them on for big fees to fund purchases for world class level players so you can become Champiosn League challengers.

Just finished season 4, not gone as well but still working on the new formation and played a lot of myvery good newgens. Finished 4th though so ok. Players have deveoped well and I have 2 players who I have brought in that I think might be close to Messi class. (Described by my scouts as 'buy whatever the cost')

As I said I'll get a whole host of screenies up later.

Hello,

Finally I had some good results Home (4-1 to Swansea) and some minor victories.

I'm playing a high pressure, ball control and fluid football:

GK: Boruc (GK Defender)

RD: Clyne (RD Automatic)

CB: Stefan Strandberg (CB Cover)

CB: Jos Hooiveld (CB Block)

LD: Juan Sanchez Miño or Fox (LD Automatic)

MDC: Morgan Schniederlin (DM Defend)

MCr: Cork (CM Support)

MCl: Davis (DLP Support), when I use Wellington Nem in the middle i put him as Adv Playmaker

AMR: Gaston Ramirez (IF Attack)

RML: Lallana (IF Attack)

ST: Lambert (Adv Fwrd Attack)

Problems:

When the attacker is crossing all the center midfielders are to near to my GK (they don't go out of the area to mark the drop zone)

When playing a big club I'm always raped... (3-0 against Spurs (away), 3-1 against City (home))

Questions:

Should I play in Counter-Attack with this tipe of football? (it's a 4-3-3 so it's easy to counter attack)

My middle is to supportive?

Any sugestions?

Note:

Jan Kirchoff is comingo in January.

In 8 games I'm at 10º

Hello,

Finally I had some good results Home (4-1 to Swansea) and some minor victories.

I'm playing a high pressure, ball control and fluid football:

GK: Boruc (GK Defender)

RD: Clyne (RD Automatic)

CB: Stefan Strandberg (CB Cover)

CB: Jos Hooiveld (CB Block)

LD: Juan Sanchez Miño or Fox (LD Automatic)

MDC: Morgan Schniederlin (DM Defend)

MCr: Cork (CM Support)

MCl: Davis (DLP Support), when I use Wellington Nem in the middle i put him as Adv Playmaker

AMR: Gaston Ramirez (IF Attack)

RML: Lallana (IF Attack)

ST: Lambert (Adv Fwrd Attack)

Problems:

When the attacker is crossing all the center midfielders are to near to my GK (they don't go out of the area to mark the drop zone)

When playing a big club I'm always raped... (3-0 against Spurs (away), 3-1 against City (home))

Questions:

Should I play in Counter-Attack with this tipe of football? (it's a 4-3-3 so it's easy to counter attack)

My middle is to supportive?

Any sugestions?

Note:

Jan Kirchoff is comingo in January.

In 8 games I'm at 10º

You could try counter against the bigger team but Saints don't have a huge amount of pace.

I'd try a similar set up but maybe try a balanced strategy and being a bit less fluid/or change the full backs on another one of the CM's to defend against better teams, so they'll only go forward when they really think it's a good idea.

Maybe try one of the MC as a ball winner (Cork probably) and see if he will go for the ball, or use tight marking to get close to the corsser and the strikers attacking the ball.

Against big team i would probabily make something like this:

GK Defender

RD Support

CB Cover

CB Block

LD Defend

DM Defend

Ball winner defend or CM defend

DLP Support or Adv Playmaker Support

IF Attack

IF Attack

Adv Fwrd Attack

With Counter Attack, withou ball control and a balanced mentallity.

I actually use just the first stage of Fluid and not a Very Fluid formation.

Cork as a ball winner give me some doubts because of is phisical... but I can try.

Saints definitely lack a decent physical DMC, I've been lucky in my save to get my first season regen Paul Curtis, aside from having fairly low aggression he's turning into a world class defensive midfielder, so might be a transfer target position.

You seem to be doing ok though, once your team gets more used to your formation and each toehr results will probably get a lot better. 10th after 8 games is probably higher than I was at the same stage in my first season and I went on to finsih 5th.

That set up loks pretty good to me as long as you have pace on the wings, I'd get Wellington Nem in for those games wide because he's quick and can dribble.

End of the day though you have a relegation predicted level team so it's about building for the future as your younger players get better. Ramirez will become world class, JWP and Shaw have the potential to become world class and the likes of Clyne, Lallana, Schneiderlin, Cork, and Rodriguez can all become good rpemiership level players so if you only add a few players you can easily get a top 6 team together in a few years. It's just the likes of Tottenhamm, Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea just have far better squads than Saints.

Archived