Football manager legends?

Wouldn't it be cool to play Football manager with all the best players since the start of Football Manager?

At times I feel nostalgic and want to use players from the early 90's, but when I open the game, the early games just look terrible.

It would be cool (and i think very easy if the original databases still exist) to create a game with all the players from the past until now.

I think it would be an easy way to earn money for Football Manager, as you could use the engine of the recent game and the combined databases of the past games.

What do you guys think? And who do you want to see in this game?

wouldn't be the same. The players you remember were great in that version, the way the ME has changed etc could easily make them not as effective as different stats hold different weights etc, as a researcher I often get told that a particular stat needs to be higher this year as the way the jumping formula works has changed etc. Also keep in mind that this series of games, FM CM etc, go back 20 odd years, that's ALOT of extra info.

Not for me at all, just play the older version and appreciate their nostalgia as well, not just the players. I am currently playing CM01/02 again until FM13, wouldn't change it for the world :p

wouldn't be the same. The players you remember were great in that version, the way the ME has changed etc could easily make them not as effective as different stats hold different weights etc, as a researcher I often get told that a particular stat needs to be higher this year as the way the jumping formula works has changed etc. Also keep in mind that this series of games, FM CM etc, go back 20 odd years, that's ALOT of extra info.

Not for me at all, just play the older version and appreciate their nostalgia as well, not just the players. I am currently playing CM01/02 again until FM13, wouldn't change it for the world :p

but if somebody who was generally idle got a burst of enthusiasm he could put all the great old youth players into the current game...just mess with the attributes a bit that's all...it wouldn't need to be especially accurate anyway

it would be easy to do just time-consuming

Tom Youngs (footballer)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Tom Youngs Personal information

Full name Thomas Youngs

Date of birth 31 August 1979 (age 32)

Place of birth Bury St Edmunds, England

Height 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)

Playing position Forward

Youth career

1995-1997 Cambridge United

Senior career*

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

1997–2003 Cambridge United 151 (43)

2003–2005 Northampton Town 26 (0)

2005 Leyton Orient 10 (1)

2005–2007 Bury 49 (7)

2007 Stafford Rangers 2 (0)

2007 Cambridge City ? (?)

2007–2008 Mildenhall Town ? (?)

2009 Norwich United ? (?)

* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of August 8, 2010.

† Appearances (Goals).

Tom Youngs (born 31 August 1979) is an English football forward.

He was highly rated as a youngster in the game Championship Manager 97/98, but in reality he never achieved his potential. He played for Cambridge United, Northampton Town, Leyton Orient Town, Bury and Stafford Rangers.[1]

but if somebody who was generally idle got a burst of enthusiasm he could put all the great old youth players into the current game...just mess with the attributes a bit that's all...it wouldn't need to be especially accurate anyway

Yes but it IS very time consuming, it takes months to do one current team properly, alot of people seem to think researching and editing data is a click of the fingers job, it isn't. Then when do you take them from? What version? What season? What stats? Do we change stats to suit the current way PA/CA works or leave it? Then consider that alot of the youth players 'back then' are current players now, so they would disappear.. just a bit of an idea that sounds great in theory but would need a massive amount of work to be done but many people, I would say alot more than someone who is 'generally idle'.

And it would need to be accurate if SI were to do it, people are already complaining about features in FM13 and noone has seen it, imagine if they relseased this DB and it was 'especially accurate'.

Someone may do it as a custom DB but I reckon it would get old pretty fast.

Just my opinion though, looking at it realistically.

Yes but it IS very time consuming, it takes months to do one current team properly, alot of people seem to think researching and editing data is a click of the fingers job, it isn't. Then when do you take them from? What version? What season? What stats? Do we change stats to suit the current way PA/CA works or leave it? Then consider that alot of the youth players 'back then' are current players now, so they would disappear.. just a bit of an idea that sounds great in theory but would need a massive amount of work to be done but many people, I would say alot more than someone who is 'generally idle'.

And it would need to be accurate if SI were to do it, people are already complaining about features in FM13 and noone has seen it, imagine if they relseased this DB and it was 'especially accurate'.

Someone may do it as a custom DB but I reckon it would get old pretty fast.

Just my opinion though, looking at it realistically.

no it wouldn't be a SI release...people do changed databases all the time

we just need a long list of players with a few details like position, height, speed...then you stick them into the game as youth players at the correct clubs...easy

Tom Youngs AMRLC, small, fast, good eye for goal sort of thing...then just stick him and all the others into a database as a Cambridge youth player and off we go

then you manage a big rich club and buy the 20 you fancy the most just for the hell of it

no it wouldn't be a SI release...people do changed databases all the time

we just need a long list of players with a few details like position, height, speed...then you stick them into the game as youth players at the correct clubs...easy

Tom Youngs AMRLC, small, fast, good eye for goal sort of thing...then just stick him and all the others into a database as a Cambridge youth player and off we go

and all of the other stats?

Then what do you do with the current in game tom youngs? In CM01/02 Rooney is at Everton and 15yo, so should he be in everton youths and removed from man utd in this database?

Maybe give it a go yourself and see how it goes?

"it takes months to do one current team properly"...but we're not trying to do anything properly...just having a blast

if it isn't done properly it simply will not work. If you are trying to recreate great players from the older version why would you do it and only add 2-3 of their stats like you said above?

and all of the other stats?

Then what do you do with the current in game tom youngs? In CM01/02 Rooney is at Everton and 15yo, so should he be in everton youths and removed from man utd in this database?

Maybe give it a go yourself and see how it goes?

no I wouldn't do famous players like Rooney just obscure CM/FM legends...and you can just delete the older version of the player or retire him or else make some minor name change to the youth like "Tom Youngs-"...then when you buy him just edit the nickname

I've done it before in practice games anyway...set up the Celtic Lisbon Lions playing in England...it's easy once you get a bit of experience (as you know)...just tricky if you have to keep the SI chiefs happy that's all

not trying to rain on your parade champ, just that something like this won't work if its a half effort. Be good fun if it was done properly but the way you are suggesting to do it will make it a pretty pointless exercise I feel.

well it's not my parade...let the OP do it :lol:

no I wouldn't do famous players like Rooney just obscure CM/FM legends...and you can just delete the older version of the player or retire him or else make some minor name change to the youth like "Tom Youngs-"...then when you buy him just edit the nickname

I've done it before in practice games anyway...set up the Celtic Lisbon Lions playing in England...it's easy once you get a bit of experience (as you know)...just tricky if you have to keep the SI chiefs happy that's all

SI don't particularly mind edited DB's. Your point raises another issue. What if I had a 15yo Rooney in CM01/02 before most had heard of him and he became a legend for me? I can't use him as a youth player because he made it in real life? It would be cool if some of the 'proper' cm legends were remade for a blast, like some of the overall legends that most people remember

The great man himself dropped by SI Towers a few weeks back...

That's so cool was just reading about him and all the other legends just the other day in the book Football Manager Stole My Life "20 Years of Beautiful Obsession". A great read for that nostalgic feeling.

Sure it would be a lot of work. But what I meant was, that all players are already created, so it would only need a look at the stats in opposition to other players. I have played CM01/02 and CM 92/32 a couple of weeks ago, and I stopped after two days because of several things. The engine which created scores like 18-1 or the poor transfer options among others. It was great to see those players and when Ajax or other teams were still great, but then I wanted to play another game with other great players. It would be awesome to see all of these players in one game, regardless of the stats. I saw a database on the internet which tried such a thing, but they only took the best 800 players of all time. You on the other hand have to ability to take the players out of every database. You could take the year in which the player was at its best for example. I am just brainstorming and I know it would take a very long time, but I think people would like to see the best players of their home country together. The great stars of Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Belgium or the Netherlands. I saw a team with pélé en ronaldo and socrates and all sorts of names, it was really great. And with that many great players, every team would be able to buy great players.

Sure it would be a lot of work. But what I meant was, that all players are already created, so it would only need a look at the stats in opposition to other players. I have played CM01/02 and CM 92/32 a couple of weeks ago, and I stopped after two days because of several things. The engine which created scores like 18-1 or the poor transfer options among others. It was great to see those players and when Ajax or other teams were still great, but then I wanted to play another game with other great players. It would be awesome to see all of these players in one game, regardless of the stats. I saw a database on the internet which tried such a thing, but they only took the best 800 players of all time. You on the other hand have to ability to take the players out of every database. You could take the year in which the player was at its best for example. I am just brainstorming and I know it would take a very long time, but I think people would like to see the best players of their home country together. The great stars of Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Belgium or the Netherlands. I saw a team with pélé en ronaldo and socrates and all sorts of names, it was really great. And with that many great players, every team would be able to buy great players.

I agree it would be great fun but:

(a) we would need to make a list of all players we want

(b) we need to decide whether to make them 16-18 year old youths or more mature players or whatever

© somebody then has to get editing

it's not difficult once you understand how to do it but it would take a few minutes per player so maybe 800 players would take 50-60 hours of hard graft so you can imagine it would be one heck of a job

As there are so many nationalities on these forums, it wouldn't be too hard to say to each of them to pick 50 of the best players of all time for the country. As I can think of a lot of countries which i don't know that many players, like smaller countries. And after that you could hold polls to let the people choose who was the better player, but they can't choose the player of their home country. So it would have to be chosen on qualities, not on preference. I for one would like to help with such a process.

I agree it would be great fun but:

(a) we would need to make a list of all players we want

(b) we need to decide whether to make them 16-18 year old youths or more mature players or whatever

© somebody then has to get editing

it's not difficult once you understand how to do it but it would take a few minutes per player so maybe 800 players would take 50-60 hours of hard graft so you can imagine it would be one heck of a job

Sounds easy on paper, well take it from me it is not. 50-60 hours is only scratching the surface. If you have the time to sit there 11-12 hours a day for a bout 6 months you might get somewhere near.

It needs at least 4 to 5 people working in tandem. I started a legends DB and was only about a quarter of the way to what I wanted after 7 months and with work commitments i have since shelved it indefinitely.

It's a nice theory, but nothing more unless you have an awful lot of spare time.

Sounds easy on paper, well take it from me it is not. 50-60 hours is only scratching the surface. If you have the time to sit there 11-12 hours a day for a bout 6 months you might get somewhere near.

It needs at least 4 to 5 people working in tandem. I started a legends DB and was only about a quarter of the way to what I wanted after 7 months and with work commitments i have since shelved it indefinitely.

It's a nice theory, but nothing more unless you have an awful lot of spare time.

pretty much my point the whole way through. You probably could do it in 50 hours if you just wanted to slap it together. Done properly it would take considerably more.

SI were developing a CM spin off game called Championship Manager All Stars in the late 90s where it had the greatest players of all time, I even had a PC mag with a preview and screenshots. Got scrapped pretty quickly though.

Problem was, how old would each player be? What about league structure? After the top 50/100/200 players ever, who would the rest of the players be to pad the game out? And once you've played for 10+ seasons and they've all retired, what next? Then you're just playing normal CM with loads of regens.

Not surprised it was cancelled.

Archived