How Does Football Manager Get Information?

I have always wondered how Football Manager gain such in depth and accurate information on so many players at differing levels throughout the world. I have friends who are professional footballers and are in the game and it confuses me as to how Football Manager get all their contractual information correct. they know roughly the wage and exactly the expiry date of contracts from low league players up to internationalists, and correctly predict who is going to turn into a good player throughout the game. How do they manage this?

this is one reason i don't really like the 'good fm players that aren't good irl' threads. The researchers do such a good job. Especially when we consider the quabbles are over 1 or 2 players per edition.

I actually got into this game because i could make my good friend an international player. His pa was pretty much spot on in that he would never make it above the league he is in depsite being captain of a mid-table team. I'm just glad he plays for my indoor team

My guess is that it is a combination of good contacts and educated guesswork.

Pretty much spot on. Generally researchers are picked as they either have contacts or are around the club listening out for information so much that they have a pretty good idea who is on what. Combine that with educated guesses based on what other players are on and you can be pretty accurate.

Was wondering how do the researchers find out favoured personel? Is it all just from reports in the media/interviews?

I'd imagine it makes its self pretty obvious over time. I know Lee McCulloch and Ally McCoist are great friends, even before Lee joined Rangers. Not sure if thats on the game but I'd imagine it is(edit just checked it isn't).

Favoured clubs will become pretty clear with actions. I'd very much doupt RvP has Arsenal for a favorite club in 2013 for example.

Well I know the guy who did the research for Chester City before we went bust, and SI send him a form basically asking for every little piece of information possible. I was the researcher for LMA manager for Chester City for 5 years, and the SI version of the form is FAR larger and more comprehensive than the one I used to fill in for Codemasters.

Was wondering how do the researchers find out favoured personel? Is it all just from reports in the media/interviews?

I think we know that Alex Ferguson & Rafa Benitez arent the greatest of friends :D.

Archived