FM12: Swansea City - Clwb Pêl-droed Dinas Abertawe

II McColl II

23lyrcw.png

Welcome to the Swansea City Thread for Football Manager 2012

History

Swansea City was founded in 1912 originally named Swansea Town, in 1969 the change of name occured due to the town of Swansea being changed to a city and voila the team was from then on known as Swansea City. Since the forming of the English Football League, Swansea City are the only welsh based team to achieve promotion to the highest division in the english football league.

wanek0.png

In total Swansea City have won 34 trophies in their 100 year history.

Early Years and Post War Turmoil

In the summer of 1912 Swansea Town was created and joined the second division of the southern league. Swansea town rented a small area of land near to the town centre owned by a gaslight company, this area of land became known as Vetch Field and became the home of Swansea Town. Swansea Town had early success by winning the Welsh Cup and also beating the then current champions of england, blackburn, at home 1-0 in the FA cup.

Not long after the end of the first world war, Swansea Town was put into disarray when the southern league decided to remove the second division, fortunately Swansea Town received an invitation in to the first division following the collapse of the second division. After 4 seasons in the first division of the southern league Swansea Town left the southern league and became a founding member of the third division in the football league in 1920, after only one season the division split into north and south creating this divide until 1958.

However during this spell Swansea Town managed to achieve promotion into the second division, relegation back down to division 3, promotion again to division 2 which lasted until 1965 when after a few struggling seasons Swansea Town eventually slumped back down to Division 3.

Down, Down, Deeper and Down

After relegation to division 3 in 1965, existing manager Trevor Morris was sacked following 7 years in charge. The change in management turned out to be a bad choice as that season Swansea Town had their worst season since joining the football league and were eventually relegated to division 4 for the first time in the clubs history. Shortly after the name was officially changed to Swansea City and following this Swansea gained promotion immediately back into division 3, however after only 2 years in division 3 once again Swansea's feat resulted in the club being relegated back down to division 4 in the 1973/74 season.

During this period of time Swansea City's stadium attendance altered radically with one season receiving nearly 35,000 fans in an FA cup game against Arsenal but then following relegation fans lost faith in the team and resulted in an all time low attendance of 1,358 for the match against Northamption.

Swansea hit an all time low following their relegation to division 4 when they had to re-apply to the football league following on from a 21st place position in division 4

YoYo effect hits Swansea

Following the reinstatement of Swansea into the football league, Swansea City announced their new managed as John Toshack at the tender age of 28. Toshack and Harry Griffiths brought about an exciting managerial partnership which reignited Swansea City, sadly Harry Griffiths died shortly before the end of his first season as assistant manager but Swansea managed to pull through and win promotion in griffiths honour. The following season Swansea followed up their promotion with another promotion to get back into division 2 after a 14 year run which saw them fall out of the league completely. After a year stabilising the team in Division 2 Swansea pushed on in the 1980/81 season for their first ever promotion to the highest division in the football league. A 3-1 win against Preston made what seemed a dream become a reality by putting swansea back on a higher stage following such a miserable few years.

Swansea enjoyed a successful first season in division 1 and had it not been for injuries and lack of squad depth Swansea may have challenged for the title however 6th place was still the highest position achieved to date by Swansea City.

This is were the YoYo effect hit Swansea hard, 2 back to back relegations ruined all the work Toshack had done with Swansea and this resulted in Toshack losing his job. Off the field politics put Swansea City's financial position under scrutiny with creditors seeking money and threatening to liquidate the club. Because of this Swansea City's fate was sealed when they hit rock bottom again 8 years after leaving division 4 they were now back there in 1986.

Swansea City continued to lack real stability and consistency over the next dacade, a good run of 8 years kept them in division 2 until again they found themselves being relegated back down to division 3 in the 1995/96 season.

New stadium New Start

In 2005 Swansea City moved to the Liberty Stadium. 2 years in a row inconsistency halted any chances of promotion this included losing in the play offs to Barnsley on penalties. The appointment of spanish manager Roberto Martinez saw a new style of play brought to Swansea. This resulted in Swansea becoming champions of League One amassing a total of 92 points in one season, the highest recorded by a welsh team in the football league. After Martinez left Swansea to take control of Wigan, Swansea looked towards Brendan Rodgers to help push Swansea City towards the Premier League. Rodgers has been credited for the style of play he expects Swansea to play and this resulted in Swansea achieving promotion to the English top flight for the first time in history and making them the first Welsh team in the Barclays Premier League.

adixog.png

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2zjdpnd.png

Swansea on Football Manager 2012

Swansea City are a professional club currently in the top tier of English Football. Swansea City are predicted to finish 19th in the league however with good signings and good balanced tactics Swansea City should be more than competent enough to stay in the Premier League.

Nation - England

Founded - 1912

Status - Professional

Reputation - National

Nickname - The Swans

Chairman Status - Loves the club

Legends - None

Icons - Alan Curtis, John Hartson, Lee Trundle, James Thomas

Favoured Personel - John Toshack, Chris Coleman, Roger Freestone, Jan Molby, Leighton James

Derbies - South Wales Derby (VS Cardiff)

Fierce Rivals - Cardiff

Other Rivals - Bristol City, Bristol Rovers

Finances - Okay

Average Ticket Price - £35.00

Average Season Ticket Price - £379

Season Ticket holders - 16,000

Estimated Value - £27 Million

Continental Competition - None

Media Prediction - 19th

Squad Personality - Ambitious

Captain - Garry Monk

Vice Captain - Alan Tate

Expectations

The primary focus for the team is to avoid relegation, this still provides you with £5.75 million to spend on strengthening the squad or just improving the crucial areas.

The media prediction for Swansea City is 19th which although would suggest fighting relegation will be difficult in reality you should be targeting a respectable top 13 finish in your first year or as some people have managed top 10 onwards.

Facilities

As you know Swansea City's stadium is the Liberty Stadium, Swansea do not own this outright and instead pay a £1.3 million rental price per year for the stadium.

The reserve team for Swansea play there games in Llanelli, Wales. The name of the reserve stadium is Parc y Scarlets.

Swansea's other facilities include;

Corporate - Average Corporate Facilities

Training - Average Training Facilities

Youth - Adequate Youth Facilities

Junior Coaching - Average Junior Coaching

Youth Recruitment - Average Youth Recruitment

Finances

Swansea's finances are on a steady level with an esitmated value of £29 million and a £6.5 million loan debt. Swansea offer a healthy transfer budget at the start of the first season ranging from £5.75 million upwards.

Swansea chairman only makes 45% of transfer revenue available to you, so looking into requesting a higher amount is something to be considered.

The team also has 2 sponsorships running to 2014, one is a £250,000 kit sponsorship per season and the other is an £8000 stadium sponsorship per season.

Staff

wt7v36.png

As you can see the staff at Swansea are rather threadbare and at the same time not very good. The lack of an assistant manager is a real troubling area at first. After looking through potential assistant managers my recommendations which are affordable would be;

Derek Fazackerley

Terry McDermott

Fazackerley i feel is more suited due to his training options which would mean the coaches could be separated out to more specific assignments.

As Swansea since the update are now entitled to 3 first team coaches and 3 regular coaches + 3 youth coaches so the options for training have now been increased, i will leave it down to you on who you wish to bring in for these roles however the release of Alan Curtis is recommended and Colin Pascoe is always wanted by Birmingham at the start of your game.

A new fitness coach should be looked into as Ryland Morgans is not very good for this level of football. I would recommend someone such as;

John Brierley

Paul Winsper (Wages may be a problem with Winsper)

All 3 physio's are replacable and i would recommend you do so, my picks of the bunch following the latest patch would be;

Chris Malkin

Ian Andrews

The number of scouts allowed has also been increased from 6 to 9. Both scouts currently at the club should be released opening up all 9 places for new additions. The scouts i recommend you look into are;

Stuart Webber

Herbert Wimmer

Thorsten Legat

Marko Bode

Dave Harrison

Stefan Muller

Bob Dowie

Folkert Velten

Ian Bowyer

John Griffin

Martin Wilkinson

2qwekbk.png

SQUAD ANALYSIS

Goalkeepers

Michel Vorm

Gerhard Tremmel

Moreira

Swansea are well covered currently in the goalkeeper department with Michel Vorm being the stand out individual. All 3 were summer aquisitions by swansea so you would be unable to sell either tremmel or moreira. At the age of 27 Michel Vorm has the ability to be your number one goalkeeper for atleast another 5 years.

What Swansea currently lack is any long term potential replacement of Vorm so it would be advisable for you to look for a young goalkeeper with alot of promise.

Potential First Team Signings - None needed

Potential Youth Signings - Alex Smithies, Laurentiu Branescu, Plamen Iliev

Defenders

Garry Monk

Alan Tate

Ashley Williams

Steven Caulker

Darnel Situ

Angel Rangel

Neil Taylor

Federico Bessone

Swansea City defensively need to be strengthened as this is the weakest area of the squad. In terms of centre backs you have a choice of Monk, Tate, Williams, Caulker, Situ. Williams and Caulker are your two main CB's but neither would be seen as stand out premier league centre backs. Tate and Monk are ok back up players but can be used for raising funds and situ has the potential to become a solid back up centre back.

Full backs are again average but nothing special in this division Angel Rangel is your main RB and only RB, good going forward but defensively on the weaker side, another promising RB or back up is needed to provide competition. In LB you have Neil Taylor and Federico Bessone, Bessone is not good enough and should be sold or loaned out immediately. Taylor is young and still has time to develop and so far looks a solid defensive and offensive LB, perhaps may be an area which you can strenghen but not your immediate worry, a back up better than bessone should be signed.

Potential First Team Signings - Christophe Berra, German Re

Potential Youth Signings - Abdel El Kaoutari, Marek Kysela, Tiago Ilori (may not look like much but tutor and train him well and he becomes fantastic)

Midfielders

Ferrie Bodde

Leon Britton

Joe Allen

Kemy Agustien

Mark Gower

Wayne Routledge

Nathan Dyer

Scott Sinclair

Andrea Orlandi

This is the strongest area of the Swansea squad with the majority of there better players being either midfielders or wingers. With the arrival of the new patch this area will be even stronger thanks to the inclusion of Josh Mceachran and Gylfi Sigurdsson. Leon Britton is your best deeper midfielder for collecting the ball, very high work rate makes him a tireless midfielder for your team and with the update he deserves a ratings hike to how well he has performed this year. Joe Allen another player who sits a bit deeper than others is ideal for 2 DLP's in the side. I would personally offload Key Agustien as he wont contribute much in games and also sell Mark Gower due to his age, there are a few youngsters who are as good now and with development would be a sound investment.

Dont forget about Ferrie Bodde (i did :rolleyes:) this is the best midfielder in the Swansea squad but spends the first 4 months injured, when fit this guy has all the requirements to lead the swansea midfield.

Swansea dont have a stand out attacking midfielder with Dobbie and Orlandi both in the reserves transfer listed, if you plan on playing a formation involving an AMC i would recommend selling Dobbie and perhaps keeping Orlandi as a backup.

Side midfielders for swansea are all about pace and taking on their defending opponent, Routledge edges Dyer for the starting place on the right while Sinclair doesnt have any competition for the left, the interest in sinclair would tempt me to sell as you can get around £6 million for him from certain teams. Certainly a back up/young left sides player is needed.

Potential First Team Signings - Mohamed Diame, Beram Kayal, Ruben Yttergard Jenssen, Nauzet Aleman, Karim Ait Fana, Dusan Tadic

Potential Youth Signings - Kevin De Bruyne, Granit Xhaka

Strikers

Luke Moore

Leroy Lita

Danny Graham

Lacking depth in this area of the squad, not only depth but also lacking premiership experience. Leroy Lita and Luke Moore are both backup/reserve players who will make little impact when playing better teams and danny graham who looks to be a good target man may struggle again premier league defenders due to his lack of pace and poor dribbling stats (for a target mans hold up play)

Again all 3 are recent signings so wont be able to be sold in order to increase your transfer budget. Craig Beattie is a striker who starts in the reserves and he can be sold to raise funds.

Potential First Team Signings - Wilfried, Jelle Vossen

Potential Youth Signings - Yaya Sanogo, Mbaye Niang, Gianni Bruno, Gonzalo Barreto

who needs romantic when you can just have good old fashioned welsh language :D

Also deejay when you have done the analysis i will copy them and put them into the reserve slots i have left over and change a few of the pictures so they fit size :) (i will put credit to deejay10 aswell :))

Well this threads come a bit later than expected! Very interesting team, when they first got promoted I wasn't really a fan of them, but after buying the likes of Routledge and Vorm, and the way they've been playing their football, I've become a fan of them, easily one of the most attractive style of football in the league.

I do quite like the starting line ups, although maybe 1 or 2 CBs need to be bought, also a cm! Wingers are sorted, and Graham/Lita/Moore should be good enough with the supply behind them. Also with the Jan update they'll have Sigurdson who should be a great asset to have!

I might start a game with these lot very soon, just need to decide if I want to do it alongside my QPR game :p

Gylfi is an amazing signing and should suit the 4-2-3-1 they play. I'm almost at the end of the 5th season now, will do full updates a bit later so don't think I could start another game after the Feb update, but having Gylfi would have been absolutely perfect for my tactic!

Btw I'm in the semi-finals of the Champions League and Vorm, Taylor, Allen and Sinclair are all still in the squad. Except Allen, all the other 3 have played important roles in my European adventure. Sinclair has 8 goals in 10 games in Europe.

The only club I have ever managed in all the CM/ FM's . Managing a club I don't support just doesn't inspire me. Used to love taking us up to glory from League 2 in the old days ( not that long ago really ! ). Starting in the Premier League seems wrong and a bit like cheating. Anyway, in my current save I'm in 2016 and hoping to retain both the Premiership and Champions League.

will unfortunately be unable to finish this thread until around february, i have health problems which are resulting in regular trips to the hospital for tests, because of this any spare time i have at the moment wouldnt be enough to improve this thread at the time so i will wait until i have had my operation and by then the new patch should be nearly out :)

good luck with your saves until then :D

I will finish the thread if you can get around to copying them into the main posts in that cool font and style. I just basically need to add wingers, forwards and tactical analysis. Into my 6th season where ive stopped playing to start a Gladbach save.

Finished 9th, 9th, 9th, 3rd, 3rd in my first 5 seasons. First season in the Champs League I made it to the semi finals before being knocked out 4-0 on aggregate by City.

The only club I have ever managed in all the CM/ FM's . Managing a club I don't support just doesn't inspire me. Used to love taking us up to glory from League 2 in the old days ( not that long ago really ! ). Starting in the Premier League seems wrong and a bit like cheating. Anyway, in my current save I'm in 2016 and hoping to retain both the Premiership and Champions League.

Whats your squad looking like now ? I only have Sinclair, Vorm and Allen left from the original side and Britton is a coach. Sinclair is just starting to become a regular in the England squad, in Holloways 4-3-3 system.

In my first season 20 odd games in, currently sitting in 9th. Revamped the entire squad with youngsters and using the 48 mths installment plans. So far only Sinclair, Vorm, Taylor and Allen are still in my first team.

As Rubentus mentioned, Sinclair is ridiculously good on my game!

Whats your squad looking like now ? I only have Sinclair, Vorm and Allen left from the original side and Britton is a coach. Sinclair is just starting to become a regular in the England squad, in Holloways 4-3-3 system.

Nobody left from the original side. Everybody sold or released within two seasons. Initially built team on the likes of Paloschi , Verratti , Traore, Fleck , Collinson , Cairney, Vass , Kara etc. ( 48 mth deals ). This season (2016) my team is mostly filled with NewGens , so much so that my average team age is around 21. Sold Sinclair first season for 6.75M to Villa. After 21 games over 3 seasons they sold him on to West Brom for 625K where he's not really setting the world alight.

will defo be giving the swans a good go after the update.. want to bring some glory to wales ;) and hopefully bring through a new generation of welsh superstars :D

only just seen motd2 .. and swansea were breathtaking.... can't think of any team who should get more of a boost overrall than swansea...

look at how britton and allen have done this season, passed the hell out of most of teams in the prem... and sinclair and dyer are superb...

I echo a similar sentiment to Welshace; will be very interesting to see Gylfi Sigurðsson and Josh McEachran in the side too; so shall defiantly be giving them a crack, especially as I have seen many people mention on the quality that Gylfi Sigurðsson has shown to have in this years game, as well as the fact I am a huge Josh McEachran fan.

A remarkable fact I heard this evening on Radio 5 was that Leon Britton tops the pass completion stats of Europe; trumping all of the Spaniards with a pass completion of 93.3%, Joe Allen is 6th in this table, with an equaly impressive 90.3%.

Here's the full article from the Telegraph that I've just read. 'Swansea's Leon Britton has better passing stats than Xavi'

Indeed, watching the game yesterday against Arsenal I was taken back. It was the first time I had properly watched them in full flow, and it was only short of Spain and Barcelona model in the way they keep the ball - truly remarkable. Especially when you think that Leon Britton, I think I'm right in saying, was one of the members of the team in League 2 - just how he has developed as a player is a story in itself.

Credit too has to be given to the managers that have succeeded Brendan Rodgers, that have allowed him to seamlessly implement this system on to the team. So devote he is to this passing and possession based style of football that I read in an article on the Guardian that, the keeper Michele Vorm's ability with the ball at his feet was a overwhelming factor in his purchase. The statement of Brendan Rodgers after their game against Manchester United, that concluded something along the lines I cannot blame a player for losing possession in a dangerous area as that's the way I wish him to play. Neil Taylor I think it could have been, if you recall he was disposed near to his goal for Hernandez to go on to score the only goal of the game.

From what I have seen of them this season, I have found them to lack that killer instinct and the ability to score goals; something I think that has been highlighted upon in their away form this season. Just the next step I believe for them to become a very, very good side would be for them to be more clinical upfront. Now I'm sure that many Swansea fans here would be a lot more qualified on the matter, but I just think the difference between how Barcelona play this game to Swansea is their ability to create something out of nothing and finish teams of, something that is to be expected and not a slight on Swansea - Barca's players are the best of the best. I've thought that Nathan Dyer and Scott Sinclair to just be lacking that spark to take them on to the next stage as players, instead of very direct pacey wingers - same can be said of Walcott I feel; although yesterday Dyer should in how he took his goal what I feel he should be showing. I have been very impressed with Danny Graham this season as well, very underrated I think. Watching Motd yesterday gave me another chance to see the runs he makes, that sometimes go unnoticed; seems a very clever forward. Slightly detracted from the FM world here, but thought i'd like to shed some praise on to Swansea, not to sound condescending.

not at all condescending... ive had similar lines of thought... swansea are pushing what they have to extremes and excelling with it.. but they will certainly need to bring in some quality sooner rather than later... the danger is that dyer, britton and co have performed so well as a unit.. bringing in players in their position might be catastrophic...

im somewhat perplexed to why swansea are bringing in Mceachran AND gylfi in on loan in fact when clearly britton and allen are performing so admirably in the middle of the park... i would have liked to see a striker come in, granted, there isnt a lot of quality out there to get... but to bring in someone like Gary Hooper to support Graham would be superb.

i also hope Swansea get Samba.. he wont stick around too long im sure as he's easily a top 4 defender in my eyes but swansea seem favourite right now and ashley williams could do with the help at the back

@Welshace good point but you must remember that they are only strengthening by adding players like Mceachran and Gylfi. They are very good on the ball and can be used well for rotation, lack of fitness or injuries could easily turn their season upside down. Regarding Samba, I don't think Swansea have any interest in him of what I have heard, he is bound to go either Tottenham or QPR. Rodgers is happy with Caulker and Williams as his CB

I think QPR are front runners to sign Samba, especially as Mark Hughes is now manager; with him bringing him into the Premier League at Blackburn. I'm yet to see any rumors linking Samba to Swansea, but I can see how he would be strengthen the side. On the topic of Samba, I personally don't see Tottenham moving for him until someone like Bassong has gone, but if Caulker continues to impress in this Swansea side, I'm sure Harry Redknapp will be contemplating the retention of his services for next season.

Something that has discouraged me playing with Swansea on this current version of FM12 is the disparity between their current performances and some of the individual players perceived quality in the game. Now I don't wish to make some crude statement that the whole side should be dramatically overhauled on the basis of half a season in the Premier League; but I'm sure once the next update is released there may be some amendments to the side, along with the likes of Gylfi Sigurðsson and Josh McEachran added, and any other players they recruit in the remaining month. Along with this reasoning, I have grown accustomed to trying to maintain the starting squad within the first half of a season or so, and not bring in armies of players in the first transfer window; and try to build initial success with original players. Therefore I think I would not be able to do justice, and just seem disheartened at not replicating Brendan Rogers' success.

Someone who I have taken a keen interest in, as I'm sure many have in recent months, has been Jordan Rhodes; mainly in the hope that he comes to Newcastle - but I think if he is reflected within the new update correctly he could be a nice signing for a Swansea side.

First of all, I would just like to congratulate II McColl II on this fantastic thread. I know it's not the finished article but, this provides a fantastic read :thup:

I was just popping in here to direct you towards THIS thread. As an Arsenal fan, playing in a certain way is essential for me and this thread gave me a bit of guidance in doing so. Whoever is playing or thinking of playing with Swansea, please have a read through this thread as it may be beneficial to you if you are to succeed in playing the 'Swansea-lona' way - especially if you take note of a FM'er who has mastered Swansea's brand of football towards the end of the thread :D

Pob Lwc!

glad the recent spotlight of swansea has helped this thread take off a bit more, just wish i had been able to start the save myself yet.

Also cheers for the appreciation of the thread so far :)

My health problems still dont seem to be clearing up however i do have a free day tomorrow in which i will focus on completing the remainder of the thread and also improving some of the images that accompany the text.

On to Swansea in real life, watching them v arsenal the other day was some of the best played football i have season in england in a very long time, some moments in the second half swansea had arsenal players running in circles as they could not get near the ball. You get the feeling if swansea could attract a couple more quality players in the summer they could be serious candidates for a european spot next year.

The signing of Sigurdsson is a very clever bit of business as it mainly to help improve his fitness levels so he will play the majority of his loan spell from the bench coming on and making an impact e.g. arsenal. Mceachran is very similar in style to both allen and britton and does seem to be the missing link of the midfield currently, agustien is ok but that is about it and he seems to be quite limited technically compared to the others around him. It reminds me alot of the loan wilshere did with bolton in order to speed up development and provide weekly experience in the premierleague.

Agreed about Rhodes needs a huge boost, especialy with his finishing, movement and pace. @Llew good article there, I have never been a fan for some reason of trying to implement someone else's tactic. A lot of differences in opinion, I saw somewhere saying if you wanted to play the Barca way you would play very narrrow as they do irl, while I am totally sure they play wide and use the whole pitch to spread passes across. It is very useful though but never been a fan of using other tactics. :)

Regarding that article Llew mentioned, I have become frustrated at many unsuccessful attempts to get a playmaker to get over 100 passes; a very insular pursuit I know, but in doing so it has led me to gain lots of experience in the possession game. I have created a very efficient W-M system with my current Newcastle side that regularly creates 30+ shots and 65% possession, so haven't had much call for these Barca tactic articles, but that's not to understate their virtue and are a very good source for anyone looking to play a possession game.

All this talk has ended up me firing up a new save game, that shall see me destined to South Wales. Don't promise any longevity, as I've had various half season saves at various clubs in the last month; but I will look use pre-season to get a possession tactic ironed out, but will be looking to use the existing squad at the forefront of my exploits, and may just only extend my transfer dealings to the odd loan here and there. But the main goal will be to try and implicate the 'Swansealona' onto the side, which will hopefully see Premier League success come hand-in-hand. I'll keep ya'll posted!!

I think QPR are front runners to sign Samba, especially as Mark Hughes is now manager; with him bringing him into the Premier League at Blackburn. I'm yet to see any rumors linking Samba to Swansea, but I can see how he would be strengthen the side. On the topic of Samba, I personally don't see Tottenham moving for him until someone like Bassong has gone, but if Caulker continues to impress in this Swansea side, I'm sure Harry Redknapp will be contemplating the retention of his services for next season.

Something that has discouraged me playing with Swansea on this current version of FM12 is the disparity between their current performances and some of the individual players perceived quality in the game. Now I don't wish to make some crude statement that the whole side should be dramatically overhauled on the basis of half a season in the Premier League; but I'm sure once the next update is released there may be some amendments to the side, along with the likes of Gylfi Sigurðsson and Josh McEachran added, and any other players they recruit in the remaining month. Along with this reasoning, I have grown accustomed to trying to maintain the starting squad within the first half of a season or so, and not bring in armies of players in the first transfer window; and try to build initial success with original players. Therefore I think I would not be able to do justice, and just seem disheartened at not replicating Brendan Rogers' success.

Someone who I have taken a keen interest in, as I'm sure many have in recent months, has been Jordan Rhodes; mainly in the hope that he comes to Newcastle - but I think if he is reflected within the new update correctly he could be a nice signing for a Swansea side.

just read this and had a genuine head slapping 'duh' moment... of course its qpr... i have no idea why i even thought it was swansea.. they cant even afford samba tbh... i blame the late hour ..

Glad to see this thread taking off! I will aim to finish the final player analysis soon, just busy with exams. Played as the Swans for 5 seasons and I believe i've mastered the Swanselona system to some extent, so will include some tactical analysis too.

Don't be too discouraged even if the players seem to lack quality, or the swans are not given a huge boost in the Jan update. I managed to finish 9th in my first season with no signings in the first window, playing a 4-3-3 and dominating possession against most sides, even Chelsea, Liverpool etc. Players like Sinclair, Britton, Bodde, Allen, Graham, Rangel, Taylor, Vorm should all be top performers for you in the first couple of seasons, and you just need to add some quality to them.

The only major disappointments are the ratings of Dyer and Williams, who definitely need a CA boost.

Finally find this thread.

I'm the one who put the impression as Swansea performance this season. They just like mini-Barca, good possession, pass and move, really nice to watch.

If you all don't mind, I've been working about emulating Swansea playing style. The thread has been launched at FM-Base forum.

Here's some pict.

chelseavswanseaanalysis.png

swanseavfulhamanalysisa.png

swanseavqpranalysisanal.png

newcastlevswanseaanalys.png

Now the next version been progress. So maybe I can get some sharing/input to improve my tactic from you guys?

Cheers.

@Llew good article there, I have never been a fan for some reason of trying to implement someone else's tactic. A lot of differences in opinion, I saw somewhere saying if you wanted to play the Barca way you would play very narrrow as they do irl, while I am totally sure they play wide and use the whole pitch to spread passes across. It is very useful though but never been a fan of using other tactics. :)

I've never been a fan of using other people's tactics either but, to many people, a helping hand to achieve a style of play which is very hard to emulate on FM would be very much welcomed :thup:

As for Barça themselves, you would be correct in saying that they do play wide and look to use all of the pitch. It's a FM'er myth that they play very narrow with the tempo at the slowest possible :D

I've never been a fan of using other people's tactics either but, to many people, a helping hand to achieve a style of play which is very hard to emulate on FM would be very much welcomed :thup:

As for Barça themselves, you would be correct in saying that they do play wide and look to use all of the pitch. It's a FM'er myth that they play very narrow with the tempo at the slowest possible :D

Yes, I agree with both these statements; too many people are looking for a quick fix, without the hard work - you get a lot more satisfaction from sculpting your own tactic from the start. Secondly I'm inclined to agree that playing slightly wider than is normally thought to do. By doing this, your giving your team a lot more space to pass across; although if you were to look into the pursuit of achieving the 100+ passes from a playmaker I think having all of your players within a closer confinement to said play maker.

Just played the first few games of the season with Swansea. Have had some tough fixtures against Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea which have set me back a slow start in the League. Finding keeping morale up a challenge, but I'm producing some nice football already.

you bought anyone in yet tommo? and what formation and style you going for?

Will post up a detailed post update later this evening. But as a overview, I've brought in Gylfi Sigurðsson as my main transfer signing, and a flutter on Ravel Morrison in on loan. Will look to strengthen in January, just wanted to build the foundations with the original side. Gone for a traditional 4-3-2-1, and heavily possession based - seems to be working, just the personnel are maybe not of sufficient quality.

will defo be giving the swans a good go after the update.. want to bring some glory to wales ;) and hopefully bring through a new generation of welsh superstars :D

only just seen motd2 .. and swansea were breathtaking.... can't think of any team who should get more of a boost overrall than swansea...

look at how britton and allen have done this season, passed the hell out of most of teams in the prem... and sinclair and dyer are superb...

Am in 2017 and got three Welsh newgens that should potentially be ripping apart the Premiership in a few years :D

Archived