FM 12: Athletic Club Bilbao- A New Era Begins!

ArranoBeltza

ONGI ETORRI!

Athletic_club_200px.png

Brief Overview

The club has played in the Primera División of La Liga since its start in 1928. They have won La Liga on eight occasions. In the historical classification of La Liga Athletic Bilbao are in 4th place and one of only three clubs which have never been relegated from La Liga (the others being Real Madrid and Barcelona). The club also has a women's team, which has won four championships in the Spanish Superliga.

They are known as the Los Leones (the lions) because their stadium was built near a church called San Mamés (Saint Mammes). Mammes was an early Christian thrown to the lions by the Romans. The lions refused to eat Mammes and he was later made a saint. The San Mamés Stadium is hence nicknamed "the football cathedral".

The club is known for its cantera policy of bringing young Basque players through the ranks, as well as recruiting top Basque players from other clubs (like Joseba Etxeberria or Javi Martínez). Athletic official policy is signing professional players native to the greater Basque Country, including Biscay, Guipúzcoa, Álava and Navarre (in Spain); and Labourd, Soule and Lower Navarre (in France). Still, in recent times, this policy has been somewhat relaxed and players with direct Basque ancestry or with no Basque ancestry but formed in Basque clubs have played for the team. This has gained Athletic both admirers and critics. The club has been praised for promoting home grown players and club loyalty. Athletic is one of only four professional clubs in Spain (the others being Real Madrid, Barcelona and Osasuna) that is not a sports corporation; the club is owned and operated by its associates (socios). (Sorce: Wikipedia)

GENERAL INFO

HONORS

FACILITIES

Recent Developments

The past few years have seen Athletic emerge as a club on the rise. After a number of lower finishes and relegation battles, the club returned to European Football after finishing runners-up in the 2009 Copa del Rey. The next season saw Athletic challenge for a spot in European football through a league finish (which they failed to acheive), and players Javi Martinez and Fernando Llorente found themselves on Spain's 2010 World Cup winning squad. During the 2010-11 season, though, Athletic once again found themselves in the hunt and ended up in a respectable 6th place and having earned a spot to play in the Europa League. After that season, former midfielder Josu Urrutia was elected as Athletic's new president. Having promised new blood, Urrutia fired Joaquin Caparros and brought in Marcelo Bielsa. However, in a shock move, Bielsa promptly quit and the Athletic board has decided that you are the right manager for the job. With a solid squad, great facilities, good finances, and some promising youngsters, will you be able to lead these up-and-comers to victory, or will the new change be too much for the team to handle?

The Squad (*= key player, #= promising young player, $= possible surplus)

GK- Gorka Iraizoz

GK- Raul Fernandez

GK- Aitor Fernandez

DC- Aitor Ocio

DC/DL- Jon Aurtenetxe #

DC- Fernando Amorebieta

DC- Borja Ekiza #

DC- Mikel San Jose *

DR- Andoni Iraola *

DR- Iban Zubiaurre $

DL- Xabi Castillo

DL- Koikili

DM/MC- Carlos Gurpegi

MC- Javi Martinez *#

MC- Ander Herrera *#

MC- Ander Iturraspe

AMR/MR/ML/MC/AMC- David Lopez

ML/AML- Igor Gabilondo

AMR/MR- Markel Susaeta

AML/AMR- Oscar De Marcos #

AMC/AMR/ST- Igor Martinez #

AMR/ST- Alain Eizmendi $

AML/AMR/ST- Ibai Gomez #

ST/AML/AMC- Iker Muniain *#

ST- Fernando Llorente *

ST- Gaizka Toquero

Overall, the squad has changed some since last year's FM with a few notable departures (i.e. Pablo Orbaiz), but with the addition of the young playmaker Ander Herrera. The squad is strong overall and could easily challenge for an upper mid-table finish at the very least with few changes, but there are not really any world-beaters to be found save Llorente and maybe Javi Martinez or Ander Herrera.

Athletic also has a number of promising players already in its youth system or reserves:

MC- Inigo Ruiz de Galarreta (Age 17, 4.5 Star PA)

LB- Enric Saborit (Age 19, 3.5 Star PA. Starts off with Bilbao Athletic)

ST- Guillermo Fernandez (Age 18, 3.5 Star PA)

DC/DR- Jonas Ramalho (Age 18, 3.5 Star PA)

DC- Aymeric Laporte (Age 17, 3 Star PA)

AML- Aitor Seguin (Age 16, 3 Star PA)

DC- Unai Bilbao (Age 17, 3 Star PA)

Tactics

This is a basic 4-4-2 that has served me well in years past and gets the team to play similar to how they did under Joaquin Caparros in past seasons:

Athletic442.jpg

The team instructions I use are Balanced philosphy, Control for starting strategy, Direct passing, Aggressive Tackling and Zonal Marking. Muniain is set as the primary playmaker with Llorente as a target-man with the "Target Man Supply" set to "To Head" all others are set to default.

This tactic is similar to what Athletic have used IRL this season during their initial successes, though I modified it slightly to include Ander:

Athletic4231Trequartista.jpg

The team instructions are the same as the 4-4-2, the only difference is the use of a fluid philosophy.

Other Tactical Suggestions:

4-2-3-1 (Muniain as AML Inside fwd)

4-5-1

Positional Analysis (Note: There are many Basques who recently transfered. Only players available at the beginning of the game or who are loaned out are listed)

GOALKEEPER: Gorka Iraizoz is an obvious #1, with Raul Fernandez being the best available backup. While Gorka is not getting any younger, Raul is still young and can develop, but it doesn't appear he'll be more than a lower-tier La Liga 'keeper- still, start him in matches against weaker opposition and maybe have Gorka tutor him and check his development. While not necessarily needed the first season, I would check the market for a solid 'keeper who can at least fill the sticks for a few years to come, or to look for a more suitable backup

Possible Targets- Asier Riesgo (27 y/o, Osasuna), Inaki Goitia (29 y/o, Betis), Oier Olazabal (21 y/o, Barcelona "B")

FULLBACK: This is one of the areas of the team that needs work. Andoni Iraola is quite a good RB and is in the prime years of his career but is 29 and not getting younger. Iban Zubiaurre is an average RB backup at best. Definitely look to sell Zubi and bring in a more suitable backup, or at least re-train your LBs to play this position. Cesar Azpilicueta can be bought for a fairly large sum and is worth the money as he can cover both fullback positions and is still young. The LB position is fairly deep, with Xabi Castillo, Koikili, and the youngster Jon Aurtenetxe all able to play the position, as well as the promising youngster Enric Saborit from the reserves. Re-train Aurtenetxe to play the position, and he should be at least as good as the other two LBs in a few years' time. It might be worth giving Saborit a call-up- watch his development closely. It may be best to rotate a lot in this position and see which player works best in your setup. Still, LB is possibly the weakest position in the squad and you wouldn't do bad to search the market for a true starter in this position.

Possible Targets- Javier Garrido (LB, 26 y/o, Lazio), Cesar Azpilicueta (RB, 21 y/o, Marseille), Ion Echaide (RB/LB, 23 y/o, Osasuna)

CENTRAL DEFENSE: Historically, this is one of Athletic's strongest positions and it is in this game as well. Fernando Amorebieta and Mikel San Jose are both very good defenders, while Borja Ekiza has improved much since previous FMs and can be more than competent. Despite his age, Aitor Ocio can serve as a good backup and you start with youngsters Jon Aurtenetxe, Jonas Ramalho, and Aymeric Laporte who all look like they could be solid players given some tutoring and match experience, and Unai Bilbao is also there and has the best starting attributes of the young CBs in the youth team. Ocio's contract is up at the end of the season, so you may want to start looking for a backup unless you decide to use one of your youngsters or Ustaritz returns from his loan. This position does not need any changes.

Possible Targets- Inaki Astiz (27 y/o, Legia Warsaw), Inaki Bea (32 y/o, Wacker Innsbruck), Miguel Flano (26 y/o, Osasuna), Daniel Ugalde (DC/DR, 18 y/o, Lemona)

CENTRAL MIDFIELD: This is a solid area of the team, but could use more depth if you play with a flat midfield or with defensive midfielders. Ander Herrera and Javi Martinez seem the clear starters at this position, while Carlos Gurpegi is a solid ball-winning/defensive midfielder and a team leader or mentor to younger players. Ander Iturraspe is a competent backup, but probably will not see many games for you and could become unhappy after a few years, but is worth keeping around at least for now. The versatile David Lopez can also cover in this position as well as some of the other advanced midfielders that Athletic has, though they should only be used here sparingly. In the youth team, keep an eye on the development of Inigo Ruiz de Galarreta (maybe bring in 36 year-old Txomin Nagore from Numancia as a budget signing who can tutor him). While no drastic changes are needed here, it wouldn't hurt to bring in a player or two to add depth. If you play with advanced midfielders, though, you should have few issues depth-wise.

Possible Targets- Benat (MC/DM, 24 y/o, Betis), Txomin Nagore (DM/MC, 36 y/o, Numancia), Raul Garcia (CM/AMC/DM, 24 y/o, At. Madrid- on loan with Osasuna), Ruben Pardo (18 y/o, R. Sociedad). Moises (AMC/MC, 16 y/o, Villarreal)

WINGERS: Athletic has a lot of depth in the wings, and this is an area of the team each manager should watch closely and make decisions on based on their own goals and tactics, especially as most of these players can fulfill a variety of roles. Susaeta ® and Gabilondo (L) may be the best choice to begin with, but given Gabilondo's advanced age you should begin grooming another winger (De Marcos or Ibai Gomez) to become his successor, or maybe even try to find a replacement the second or third season in. If you play with advanced wingers, Iker Muniain could play as either an advanced playmaker or an inside forward on the left wing. David Lopez is a very versatile player with decent all-around attributes who I find is useful to keep around for your bench, and he is a good replacement for both wings. Keep a close eye on the development of the younger players in the squad who can play along the wings (De Marcos, Gomez, I. Martinez). If you go with a flat 4-4-2, you will need to do more re-training and Ibai Gomez becomes less necessary to your requirements. Overall, no changes are needed here and no major changes should be necessary for years to come- focus on developing young players/newgens here.

Possible Targets- Nestor Susaeta (RM, 26 y/o, Rayo), Pablo Hervias (AMR/AMC/MC, 18 y/o, R. Sociedad), Borja (ML/DL, 16 y/o, Sporting)

STRIKER: While Athletic have struggled to find a prolific goalscorer in the past 10-15 years or so, you have two potential golden boot winners in your strikeforce. Fernando Llorente is one of the best target men in the game and is your team's talisman- keep him at all costs. Iker Muniain is one of the most promising young players in the game who can play best as either a trequartista or a poacher. Outside these two, though, there isn't much and if either is injured for an extended period of time you could potentially have some issues. Gaizka Toquero could be a decent backup to Llorente, but doesn't score many goals. There are really no perfect backups for Muniain, but the winger/advanced midfield/striker hybrids you have could do the job if needed. Inigo Diaz de Cerio is competent, but begins on loan- personally I would look to buy a backup/squad player or two and would sell de Cerio/Toquero if the opportunity arises. Also keep an eye on the development of Guillermo Fernandez in your youth team (and I would suggest Llorente as a tutor).

Possible Targets- Jorge Galan (22 y/o, Osasuna- on loan @ Kilmarnock), Kepa (27 y/o, Recreativo), Kike Sola (25 y/o, Osasuna), Borja Viguera (ST/AMC, 24 y/o, R. Sociedad- on loan at Gimnastic+his contract ends after the season), Kenan Kodro (18 y/o, R. Sociedad), Iker Hernandez (17 y/o, R. Sociedad)

That is all for now! Good luck with your games and, if there is anything I missed or you have suggestions for additions/subtractions, I will take them into consideration. As with previous years I will remain active on this forum and will update the OP as things develop.

To revisit old memories:

FM10 Thread

FM11 Thread

Cheers to another great year of FM------ATHLETIC BETI ZUREKIN!

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This year will be tough transfer wise. All of Real Sociedad's players are up in value, Garrido, Azpilicueta and Monreal won't be available for a few years, Raul Garcia who is my usual first season target begins on loan, and Arteta has buggered off to Arsenal. The only good target I have found so far is Legia Warszawa's Inaki Astiz for some extra cover in CB.

This year will be tough transfer wise. All of Real Sociedad's players are up in value, Garrido, Azpilicueta and Monreal won't be available for a few years, Raul Garcia who is my usual first season target begins on loan, and Arteta has buggered off to Arsenal. The only good target I have found so far is Legia Warszawa's Inaki Astiz for some extra cover in CB.

As far as transfers being tough I have noticed another thing: many more of the Spanish players 16 or younger are contracted, as opposed to in previous versions.

As far as Astiz, I bought him in last year's version and, while he was never a starter, he was a solid backup who could fill in competently when needed.

Imanol Agirretxe is transfer listed for 900k at game start. Shocking considering he has great stats! He doesn't want to enter contract negotiations with me though. :(

And after some more research it appears Garrido is transfer and loan listed.. I will bring him on loan as I don't really think he is better than Castillo.

If anybody wants to use more Bielsa-esque tactics, I found this on ESPN's website. The formation used in the last (real life) match against Real Sociedad:

BielsaTactic.jpg

This is the original article, with a bit more tactical discussion, I may experiment with some of these tactical styles to see how I do:

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/7057638/marcelo-bielsa-blueprint-success-athletic-bilbao-michael-cox-soccer

Watched Athletic play against PSG in the Europe League a week or so ago; I must say, I loved watching their style of play. Quick movement, intricate passing movements and pretty solid in defence. Looked impressive. I know results havn't been all that in La Liga but, I'm hoping that they can improve under Bielsa.

Well, I have completed the half-season in the demo.

Overall, my team did alright in the league, but was a bit inconsistent at times. In the Europa League, though, we were absolutely unstoppable and easily qualified for the group stages.

League Table

League Matches

Europa Matches

Copa Matches

The only transfer I made was selling Koikili to Bologna for $2mil- there weren't any players available that I wanted, but I will probably be starting a new save as Athletic and may play the market a bit more. Garrido became available, but he looked very similar to Castillo so I opted not to buy him. I Also sold off Ibai Gomez to Cardiff but he wasn't set to leave for Jan. 1.

I got very solid performances all around from my team, with Ander being the only real disappointment- I may try the same tactic with Muniain as the playmaker to see if that changes his performance. Still, Ander had a great game against Zaragoza and seemed to pick up toward the end, but never was overly impressive. Fernando Llorente was unstoppable in front of goal, while Iker Muniain played well (although he was very streaky) and progressed a little bit attributes-wise. Mikel San Jose was great in defense and headed in some corners, while Javi Martinez started kind of slow but picked up his game toward the end of the demo. My youngsters all performed at least respectably when called on (I used Saborit, Aurtenetxe, Ramalho, and Galarreta). The surprise of my save was Igor Martinez- I mostly only played him against weaker opposition, but did start him in a couple of games to give Muniain some rest and he seemed to surprise me every time.

An added bonus- my team made a profit every month except for one :)

So, I'll start a second game soon and change the tactics up a bit and maybe delve deeper into the transfer market- updates soon!

So how does the player search field look like with Athletic? I am quite keen about playing with them. But the fact that you dont have much transfer activity is a put off. With my other saves towards the end of the season i even skip matches just to head to the transfer window. Thats one of the most fun parts of the game

So how does the player search field look like with Athletic? I am quite keen about playing with them. But the fact that you dont have much transfer activity is a put off. With my other saves towards the end of the season i even skip matches just to head to the transfer window. Thats one of the most fun parts of the game

Well, the problem is that you can only sign Basque players or Spanish players 16 years old or less. At the beginning of the game, most of the good 16 year-olds are already contracted so are difficult to buy. Then, as already mentioned, this year, the value of most of the Basque players has gone up- Cesar Azpilicueta is unavailable and in past versions has been difficult to get/expensive, Natxo Monreal just transfered, and in the small Spain DB players such as Inaki Astiz and Stephane Ruffier don't even show up (but I imagine they will in the full version- but Ruffier just transferred to St. Etienne). Aritz Aduriz may be available but might be expensive, and Javier Garrido is available on the cheap but, as I said, he is roughly equal to Xabi Castillo. Mikel Arteta might be a possibility, but is probably expensive.

Overall, though, I didn't tinker too much with the transfer market my first demo save just because I wanted to test tactics with the team that was already there, and the only players I wanted were unavailable. I will be checking the transfer market in a new save, though, and will update the "possible targets" in the OP (though I might not do this until the full version, given the DB restrictions).

Personally, I never make too many transfers as Athletic. Usually, I focus on buying 16 year-old newgens and building up the team. IMO, Athletic makes for a good long-term save because the facilities make for good youth development, and there really aren't any superstar Basque players that can be bought- most of the best Basques are already in the team. In FM10, for example, I didn't win La Liga until 2019 but after that my Athletic team was a dominant force.

I recall using Azpilicueta pretty extensively as left back on my very successful fm10 save (when I did the cup treble and a 3rd place in the secound year among other things), particularly when playing good teams, the only problem I can see with buying him thought, is that my youth intake have a tendency to generate lots of talanted youngsters in wide defense just to spite me, when i do

for a low cost RB back up, im pretty sure that Javier Flano is still the best option, even if you have to wait 6 months before you can sign him, since he have just moved to Elche

as for other transfers, I have to say that Benat looks great this year, will be my first buy when I get my hands on the full game

I will also do my best to play a much longer game then I managed to do on fm11, will be doing it basque galácticos style and do what I can to sign the very best basque players, but I will probably not go for none basque youngsters

I recall using Azpilicueta pretty extensively as left back on my very successful fm10 save (when I did the cup treble and a 3rd place in the secound year among other things), particularly when playing good teams, the only problem I can see with buying him thought, is that my youth intake have a tendency to generate lots of talanted youngsters in wide defense just to spite me, when i do

As far as Azpilicueta, here's what I've got to say:

First of all, he is the best Basque RB in the game. Iraola is slightly better, but is 29. Also, unlike last year, he is available the first year for much cheaper than he was two or three years in as seen in FM11. While his attributes aren't quite as good as Iraola's, they aren't far off, espeically given the fact that Iraola is 29 while Azpilicueta is only 22. Unlike Iraola, Azpilicueta can cover for LB well so what I do is rotate him at RB and set his positional training to LB and occasionally bring him in as a backup in that position.

I agree, though, it always seemed that my youth system produced great fullbacks, but, at least for me, most of them were LBs- I would usually let Iraola go when he was 32 or 33 and make Azpilicueta a full starter and use my youth players as backups and/or switch them to LBs. I also almost always try to re-train my fullbacks to be able to play the other side because it adds more depth to the team (same with wingers).

This was a great read :) I've also taken over at Athletic in the FM12 demo. I've never managed them before in previous FM versions and it presents a different kind of challenge. I was wondering how easy is it to sign Real Sociedad's players? If at all?

In past versions, it wasn't hard. In FM10 it was fairly easy, especially because the club was a level below in the pyramid. In last year's FM, it was more difficult due to the club's promotion, but some of the players were still attainable. There were also some instances of Real Sociedad getting relegated after the first season in last year's FM, so their players could be picked off easily.

This year, however, I haven't been able to sign a single player from there or get any of them to show the slightest interest in me. I believe this is because Real Sociedad as a team is much improved, as are many of the club's players, plus the rivalry doesn't help. However, it may be easier when the full version is out and, who knows, some of the players may be easier to get after a season or two.

Osasuna's players are also unlikely to want to move, but they're perennial relegation candidates so keep an eye on their progress- they have some promising youngsters in their system and a few decent players!

When the game comes out, i'll write a mini-guide on how to add the Basque Flag to the game that you could add to the OP. :)

That is considering if SI ignore my persistent request about adding it in the final game. :p

Awesome, I'll definitely add that to the OP!:thup:

There really isn't anybody worth buying in the first season. I used to buy Astiz, but Ekiza is good enough to fulfill the role as a back-up now. I used to buy Benat, but Ander fulfills that need.

I have had good success using Ander as a deep lying playmaker from the MC position. I feel his off the ball rating is not good enough to play in the thick of the defense as an advanced playmaker.

Ibai Gomez, Igor Martinez, Susaeta and De Marcos don't really have the necessary defensive focus to play as MR/ML. I use them as AML and AMR in a 4-2-4 system. They can all fill in for Muniain as a poacher making it uneccesary to carry additional strikers.

There really isn't anybody worth buying in the first season. I used to buy Astiz, but Ekiza is good enough to fulfill the role as a back-up now. I used to buy Benat, but Ander fulfills that need.

I have had good success using Ander as a deep lying playmaker from the MC position. I feel his off the ball rating is not good enough to play in the thick of the defense as an advanced playmaker.

Ibai Gomez, Igor Martinez, Susaeta and De Marcos don't really have the necessary defensive focus to play as MR/ML. I use them as AML and AMR in a 4-2-4 system. They can all fill in for Muniain as a poacher making it uneccesary to carry additional strikers.

In my current demo save (which I won't continue for the full version), I ended up buying Azpilicueta and I rotate him with Iraola and sometimes use him as a sub for either LB or RB.

As far as Ander, I could see using him as a deep-lying playmaker and I may try that out in the full version, as he hasn't been great for me in either of my demo saves.

I still use De Marcos and Susaeta as ML/MR and always have, and they consistently have done well for me- once again, has they have in years past as well. I was using Martinez to cover for Muniain up front and he did well, but couldn't find a good role for Gomez so I sold him.

I've thought about trying out a 4-2-3-1, but I am kind of tired of the demo so I think I'll wait for the full version to try that out. I'll probably use Susaeta at AMR, Ander at AMC, with Muniain as an inside fwd in the AML slot. That would also give me more use for Gomez and Martinez. Then again, I like my 4-4-2 and, if it ain't broke...

i sold iraola for £6 mil, didn't want to particularly, but I needed to fund Azpilicueta for 11.5. Bought javier garrido for 1.7 and a few prospects like serrano. top of the league in january.

i really wanted vadillo, but i couldnt get them to agree a deal

GK- Gorka Iraizoz

DC- Borja Ekiza

DC- Mikel San Jose

DR- Cesar Azpilicueta

DL- Javier Garrido

MC- Javi Martinez

MC- Ander Herrera

AMR - Markel Susaeta

AML - Oscar De Marcos

AMC- Iker Muniain

ST- Fernando Llorente

Bench: Toquero, Benat, Aurtenetxe, Lopez, Gabilondo, Gurpegi, Fernandez

did a quick edit reconnecting the stadium move, so it does happen like it should, and I also tried to tweak capacity of the current san mamés to match real life, but it seams the game automaticaly round it of to 40k

here's the file anyway, would be nice if someone could try loading it up into there own editor data folder and confirm that it works ingame, and if it does work, feel free to add it to the op Arrano:

did a quick edit reconnecting the stadium move, so it does happen like it should, and I also tried to tweak capacity of the current san mamés to match real life, but it seams the game automaticaly round it of to 40k

here's the file anyway, would be nice if someone could try loading it up into there own editor data folder and confirm that it works ingame, and if it does work, feel free to add it to the op Arrano:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20911199/AthleticStadiumfix.xml

I will check this tonight then add to the OP as long as it works- thanks!!

Been a while since I've added stuff to FM- where does that get saved to?
my documents/sports interactive/football manager 12/editor data

if you dont have a folder called editor data, then make one in the fm12 folder

I'm back!

Going with a 3-2-2-1-2 (aka 5-3-2 in game) for now, may eventually go for a 3-4-1-2 once we've established ourselves though.

Only potential player signing is Alex Serrano so far, for £1m (we are only in contract negotiations, though they have gone well), though my scout has found a couple of other young possible targets too. Built a brand new backroom team, Liam Brady (Arsenal) is the standout, and is now u19's manager.

And now I notice the stadium move thing. Bugger.

Time to start again. FFS!

Edit - according to Wiki, they'll be moving into San Mamés Barria in 2013-14... Yet the build date in the editor is end of 2014/15...

Edit 2 - F*** it, I can't be bothered to spend another 4-5 hours getting up to the first friendly again.

I'll see you all once this is fixed and I'm bored with my next save.

And now I notice the stadium move thing. Bugger.

Time to start again. FFS!

Edit - according to Wiki, they'll be moving into San Mamés Barria in 2013-14... Yet the build date in the editor is end of 2014/15...

Edit 2 - F*** it, I can't be bothered to spend another 4-5 hours getting up to the first friendly again.

I'll see you all once this is fixed and I'm bored with my next save.

What is the issue ?

Archived