Possible to set game lineup but not watch game?

I skip some games during the season that I don't have a lot of interest in by just going on vacation for one day. Unfortunately that means that the Assistant Manager is setting the lineup. I was wondering if there was a way to set the lineup for a particular game without having to then watch it? I know I can set the speed to the fastest but I'm wondering if there is way to set the lineup for a single game and just have it simulate? Thanks for any help!

Set your lineup, go on vacation, tick the box "use current lineup if possible". Done!

Except that it doesn't always work, which drives me mad.

The best way is actually to submit your lineup, then go on holiday from the first of the in-match screens.

The best way is actually to submit your lineup, then go on holiday from the first of the in-match screens.

Thats one of the biggest things that annoys me in the game. When you holiday and leave instructions to play your current lineup, it should every time. As long as there are no injuries of course.

It annoys me in pre-season friendlies when you put your young prospects in the team but the assistant removes them for no reason.

If there are options available. They should work. Otherwise there is no point having them :mad:

This is something SI should seriously do some time. NOT need to watch a game. Not even commentary. Just results directly. ALL other manager games are like that

That's why FM is better than all other management games. SI should not be spending their time helping people bypass parts of the game. If they start working on that over actually improving the game then fans will bypass FM.

That's why FM is better than all other management games. SI should not be spending their time helping people bypass parts of the game. If they start working on that over actually improving the game then fans will bypass FM.

But the option should still be there. I like many other more prefer getting in young players and developing them. And the buying and selling. I pretty much holiday every game just to get to the transfer windows. I set up my starting line-up and tactic based on who im playing and then holiday. Seeing as im usually Man Utd, I win most games anyway when I play them myself so that is irrelevant to me. An option to sim the results instantly rather than holiday (like in other games) would be a nice touch.

Its already a chore as it is. Anything to make it quicker gets a +1 from me.

But the option should still be there. I like many other more prefer getting in young players and developing them. And the buying and selling. I pretty much holiday every game just to get to the transfer windows. I set up my starting line-up and tactic based on who im playing and then holiday. Seeing as im usually Man Utd, I win most games anyway when I play them myself so that is irrelevant to me. An option to sim the results instantly rather than holiday (like in other games) would be a nice touch.

exactly!

says who that fans will be turned off because an OPTION exists. fm is waaaay back in this area. only the fact that makes us play through ALL games or go to stupid (and effective in a bad way) holidays

Thats the best way to do it to be completely sure its the team you picked that gets played.

I don't get it...

why would you play a football manager game and then not bother managing? Surely the whole point of the game is to play the matches and make the necessary changes in matches to avoid defeats or to win games, isn't it? Managing a football team isn't about transfer windows... it's about managing the players, knowing them and their strengths and weaknesses, knowing what motivates them, knowing what to do if a player is having a bad game - even knowing why he is having a bad game. IMHO holidaying matches is the antithesis of FM.

why would you play a football manager game and then not bother managing?

Your question misses the point. "Managing" isn't only from 3pm until 4.45pm on a Saturday. If you believe it is, you're missing out on some aspects of management every bit as much as somebody who holidays past matches.

As for why one might holiday past matches, I personally find them intensely frustrating experiences tainted by lack of believability where I get far more annoyed at the obvious broken parts of the ME (yes, they do exist) than I ever am happy at the stuff that works properly. I'd much rather just hire a tactically competent assistant and let him deal with that stuff. Since I started holidaying over the majority of matches, my enjoyment of the game as a whole has increased tenfold while my frustration with the game has almost disappeared. I'm happier for it, my wife's beyond happier for it, and the last time I exclaimed at my PC was in excitement at Dragon Age: Origins where before it would have been in an FM-inspired rage. I'm still successful, and can focus with contentment on the areas of the game I enjoy most without the experience being ruined by frustration. So that's why I, personally, would rather skip that portion of the game.

Surely the whole point of the game is to play the matches and make the necessary changes in matches to avoid defeats or to win games, isn't it?

Evidently not, otherwise those of us who don't like doing that wouldn't play it.

Managing a football team isn't about transfer windows... it's about managing the players, knowing them and their strengths and weaknesses, knowing what motivates them, knowing what to do if a player is having a bad game - even knowing why he is having a bad game. IMHO holidaying matches is the antithesis of FM.

For YOU, it is. For me, it's about putting the pieces in place off the field so that the club as a whole can be successful, which will translate into on-field results regardless of who picks the team (me) or tweaks the tactics (my assistant). Picking a tactically astute assistant to cover for my weakness or disinterest is every bit as much a part of managing a football club as switching from control to counter or adding the exploit the flanks instruction.

There is, holiday the game.

read the thread again.

OP want to submit his players as he wish and although most of the times holidaying will do, often the assistant will change the submitted squad. The only way to do it right is submit the team yourself, and holidaying afterward. They want an option to make it easier.

Your question misses the point. "Managing" isn't only from 3pm until 4.45pm on a Saturday. If you believe it is, you're missing out on some aspects of management every bit as much as somebody who holidays past matches.

As for why one might holiday past matches, I personally find them intensely frustrating experiences tainted by lack of believability where I get far more annoyed at the obvious broken parts of the ME (yes, they do exist) than I ever am happy at the stuff that works properly. I'd much rather just hire a tactically competent assistant and let him deal with that stuff. Since I started holidaying over the majority of matches, my enjoyment of the game as a whole has increased tenfold while my frustration with the game has almost disappeared. I'm happier for it, my wife's beyond happier for it, and the last time I exclaimed at my PC was in excitement at Dragon Age: Origins where before it would have been in an FM-inspired rage. I'm still successful, and can focus with contentment on the areas of the game I enjoy most without the experience being ruined by frustration. So that's why I, personally, would rather skip that portion of the game.

Evidently not, otherwise those of us who don't like doing that wouldn't play it.

For YOU, it is. For me, it's about putting the pieces in place off the field so that the club as a whole can be successful, which will translate into on-field results regardless of who picks the team (me) or tweaks the tactics (my assistant). Picking a tactically astute assistant to cover for my weakness or disinterest is every bit as much a part of managing a football club as switching from control to counter or adding the exploit the flanks instruction.

Except to win the matches on Saturday you need to have properly prepared your team and tactics beforehand. I am a 'hands-on' manager, I set the training schedules for my players, I set the tactics they play, I attend every press conference, I chat with my players regularly, I sort the match-preparation, etc, etc...

I too like to set a structure in place for the club to be successful regardless but as I've been running in the red for the last 3 seasons it's not easy... This season is looking like it could be the first one where we will finish with a positive bank balance for the first time since I became manager... that is, the first time the club has had a positive bank balance ever! (We were in the red when I became manager and we have a 5000ish capacity). My wage budget is 23.5k in League One, probably one of the lowest in the division yet we are 3rd and have won the last 8 matches.

But get this... we won the last 8 matches because of me... because of changes I made in match, things I said to the media and the players, and so on - i.e. because of my management not in spite of it! That's what the game is about...

Except to win the matches on Saturday you need to have properly prepared your team and tactics beforehand. I am a 'hands-on' manager, I set the training schedules for my players, I set the tactics they play, I attend every press conference, I chat with my players regularly, I sort the match-preparation, etc, etc...

I too like to set a structure in place for the club to be successful regardless but as I've been running in the red for the last 3 seasons it's not easy... This season is looking like it could be the first one where we will finish with a positive bank balance for the first time since I became manager... that is, the first time the club has had a positive bank balance ever! (We were in the red when I became manager and we have a 5000ish capacity). My wage budget is 23.5k in League One, probably one of the lowest in the division yet we are 3rd and have won the last 8 matches.

But get this... we won the last 8 matches because of me... because of changes I made in match, things I said to the media and the players, and so on - i.e. because of my management not in spite of it! That's what the game is about...

Good for you. Give yourself a deserved pat on the back.

My club's currently on a run of six straight Champions' League wins with a squad of homegrown players, having been in the Hungarian Third Division when I took over, and I've also won the European Championships with Hungary. This is also because of me. It's a direct result of my management in signing the right players, appointing the right assistant, balancing the books, hiring good coaches, upgrading the facilities, handling the media, setting the training schedules... all of those aspects of management are also what the game is about.

Primarily however, the game is about enjoying yourself. If there's a part of it I don't like, who are you to tell me I'm playing it wrong by bypassing that part?

OP want to submit his players as he wish and although most of the times holidaying will do, often the assistant will change the submitted squad. The only way to do it right is submit the team yourself, and holidaying afterward. They want an option to make it easier.

All I'm personally asking is that the "Use Current Lineup Where Possible" checkbox in the Holiday screen actually work. If we can get another option to simulate just the matches without requiring the holiday mode, so much the better, but I think there are rightly other priorities for development. Having a feature that doesn't do what it says it does though? Fixing that, to me, ought to be a priority.

Seems like suitable candidate for Middlesborough job..... :D

I don't get it...

why would you play a football manager game and then not bother managing? Surely the whole point of the game is to play the matches and make the necessary changes in matches to avoid defeats or to win games, isn't it? Managing a football team isn't about transfer windows... it's about managing the players, knowing them and their strengths and weaknesses, knowing what motivates them, knowing what to do if a player is having a bad game - even knowing why he is having a bad game. IMHO holidaying matches is the antithesis of FM.

I'm sorry. Who's games am I playing? :rolleyes:

I also do all that which I have highlighted. If you read my post properly you would know that I already said I do my tactics and team line-up beforehand depending on who im playing. Like I said 9 times out of 10 I'm Man Utd. Actually playing the games is a waste of my time because I win regardless of who attends the game. All I want is when you click 'select current team' and 'use current tactics', i want it to actually do that. Otherwise what is the point! I shouldnt need to go to certain screens for it to work.

When im playing as Man Utd I play as ive described. Or with any other world class team for that matter. When im FC United or some other lower team, or a team I know nothing about, I play the 'proper' way, because I need to and choose to. Is that OK with you?

Then why even play the game, especially if you're going to get the game to do everything for you?

Your final line resonates that thought louder than anything.

Why not just buy players, name your favourite team line up and have the whole season computed for you? It's like getting a book and being told the main gist of things leaving you to read the last few pages. Pointless.

Especially if the game's a chore.

Then why even play the game, especially if you're going to get the game to do everything for you?

Your final line resonates that thought louder than anything.

Why not just buy players, name your favourite team line up and have the whole season computed for you? It's like getting a book and being told the main gist of things leaving you to read the last few pages. Pointless.

Especially if the game's a chore.

Do me a favour. Actually READ ALL of my comments in this thread! :rolleyes:

Or maybe just read the last 2 lines of post #26 if its all too much for you.

Users can play their game whichever way they want- there are no rules to say it has to be played in a particaular fashion, there is no right or wrong way.

exactly! that is why the option of skipping the match should be there

Users can play their game whichever way they want- there are no rules to say it has to be played in a particaular fashion, there is no right or wrong way.

Off course, doesn't mean my way isn't the right way off course :).

Archived