dafuge's FM10 challenge

I hate conference. First game of season, away at Accrington, 1-1.....I've had 5 clear cut chances, woodwork 4 times. 14 shots overall. They've had 8 shots, 1 clear cut chance. Then 30 yarder in injury time, it hits the bar and goes in for them :(

I'm back to useless. Well my strikers to be fair.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable. Away at Gateshead, 21st in the division, they take a 1st minute lead through quite a good finish, Francis belting in a free kick from 35 yards. Keatings and Herd get us in front, before Brittain equalises with a tidy finish. Keatings grabs another on the counter, but Francis lets fly with another 35 yard free kick for them just before the second half is up, 3-3. Second half, chances galore for both teams before we reach the last minute...and Gateshead are awarded a free kick. From 35 yards. Francis steps up, and like all the other ones so far, he rifles it, and like the ones before, it crashes in off the bar. 4-3.

There are no words available...

Nunnother' date=' that is a very nice Robert McCormick, 11 finishing![/quote']

He might look good on screen, but for some reason I can't get him to score:( his 3 goals all came in 1 game, and he hasn't exactly set the BSS alight! How did you play him when he was a neast for you?

Took 10 games in the league after I posted the table, I finally get defeated. 1-0 at home to Chelmsford who only had 1 shot on target in the whole match, in the 89th minute :mad:

EDIT: I have already got myself a playoff spot mind so it isn't all bad news :rolleyes:

He might look good on screen, but for some reason I can't get him to score:( his 3 goals all came in 1 game, and he hasn't exactly set the BSS alight! How did you play him when he was a neast for you?

Well used him as a complete striker on his own. Although, high attacking...high closing down (fit style of play...) but then everyone else, I had in the middle and also wideplay was normal.

He started slowly for me though!

Well used him as a complete striker on his own. Although' date=' high attacking...high closing down (fit style of play...) but then everyone else, I had in the middle and also wideplay was normal.

He started slowly for me though![/quote']

Hmm i play him similarly to you...maybe he was starting slow for me! Doesn't help he just went and got injured for 6 weeks:( I need him back quick to score goals, because nobody else wants to!

Right, 10.3 is here and I'm ready to go with this challenge now. Here is my manager profile: Chip Butty, the new manager of Canvey Island - I seem to have plenty to live up to with Terk!
With the 10.3 patch now out. Im going to give this challenge another shot.

Here's my Manager Profile.

Good luck to you both :thup:

Season update from me should be up tonight, providing photobucket stops messing around and only upoloading half of my screenshots that I ask it to do :mad:

I am sick and tired of watching my 'keeper flap at every cross or corner that comes near him. Seriously, he makes Gomes look like Peter Schmeichel in that aspect of the game. In every other area my keeper is brilliant, one of the best shot stoppers I've ever had in the game and his distribution is superb, but we're conceding so many goals because he couldn't catch a cold. Hopefully I can get some decent cash for him in the summer and replace him with someone who has even a modicum of aerial ability.

Is it a sign that I need to get out more that as soon as I saw how many he'd scored I pronounced his name 'Ya beauty'? :o

Funny thing is, he's Spanish, I'm Spanish, and I'm... not exactly sure how the heck I should pronounce that name :D. Spanish nicknames are so absurd sometimes...

Canvey Island 2011/12 Report - BSS

goals, goals, goals

With us coming so close to promotion last season, losing in the playoff semi in extra time for those who don't remember, there was optimism around the club that a push for promotion could be on the cards. The media, negative as usual, saw us falling back to mid-table; viewing last season as a fluke. Our pre-season odds were at 40-1, strange given our added experience and stronger squad than last season.

League - Positions -

We started with a bang; winning 9 out of our first 10 games by 2 goals or more. Kevin Keegan may have liked the philosophy of "you score 3, we score 4"; but the Canvey approach this seson was almost "you score 1, we score 4... just to make sure ;)"

In fact it took to the last game in November, to our nemesis from last year Dartford, for us to drop ANY points in the league; a 1-1 draw away from home. Draws away to Lewes and at home to Newport and Farnborough in January were the start of our minor wobble, courtesy of the 'forum curse', before disaster struck at the beginning of March. A 1-0 defeat at home to local rivals Chelmsford, via a 89th minute winner, was the end of our unbeaten run in the league.

With the pressure of an unbeaten season of our backs, we started going back to our early season form; beating the likes of Havant 5-1, Dartford and Bishop Stortford 4-1 and Maidenhead a record 9-1, the title was wrapped up with many games to spare.

Final league table ended up with a record number of points and goals scores for the league

I also took part in my 100th game in charge during this league campaign... a 25 yard stunner by my RB saved a 2-2 draw at Eastleigh :o

Cups

FA Cup

2nd quali rd - Braintree 1-3 Canvey Island

3rd quali rd - Canvey Island 5-1 Workington

4th quali rd - Canvey Island 5-2 Billericay (nothing like a big win in the cup over your fiercest rivals)

1st rd - Canvey Island 5-0 Merthyr

2nd rd - Blackpool 3-0 Canvey Island

A easy draw by anybody's standards saw us easily through to the 2nd round. They were just too clinical on the day; though it was still a poor performance on our behalf

FA Trophy

3rd quali rd - Canvey Island 7-2 Bromley

1st rd - Canvey Island 9-0 Ebbsfleet (of the BSP :eek:)

2nd rd - Canvey Island 3-1 Welling

3rd rd - Cambridge Utd 0-0 Canvey Island

3rd rd replay - Canvey Island 3-1 Cambridge United

4th rd - Canvey Island 0-0 Oxford United

4th rd replay - Oxford United 4-0 Canvey Island

3rd BSP side unlucky for us, although we had our chances in the home leg and really should've came away from the replay with a better scoreline than what we did...

Squad (1)(2) I actually can't remember using all of my players this season, apart from my sub keeper who I know I didn't use but oh well. I don't think I need many additions in the summer, just replace anyone who leaves really...

Millward's Player Choice Award (basically who I think deserves our Player of the Season before the Fan's vote...)

2010/11 - Luke Thurlbourne

2011/12 - Chris Todd (1)(2) - Easily not the most obvious choice, but he was the only outfield player to be an ever present this season. New vice-captain as well plus his 9 goals this season easily qualifies him for the award

Transfers - No money exchanged once again, not like I had any available in the first place...

Finances - More money lost... I dare to think what it would be like without any of my cup runs this season. Especially after the board intervened with their first cash injection :o

Confidence - Board continue to be impressed by me... especially after I keep declining interest in L2 clubs when they become available

History

2010/11 - BSS: 3rd, defeat in playoff semi-finals

2011/12 - BSS: 1st

The Trophy Cabinet

Blue Square South - 2011/12

Good season midge, Hopefully your team can make the step up! Tho i think you'll already have ebbslfleet shaking! Don't suppose i can borrow a few of those extra goals, its not like your need a +88 GD:D!!

Ebbsfleet were in relegation trouble last time I had a look at the BSP, so not sure whether I'll get to play them again next year.

As for the goals... well whats winning the league without sending a message to everyone else while you're at it. :cool: It does also overshadow our impressive defensive record though :rolleyes: so I suppose I could send a couple your way if there were such a way...

That is an utterly stunning season, midgetram :) Brilliant work :thup:

I'm 16 games into the season and in 5th on 28 points, so we're on track to beat last season's 51 point haul at least. Maybe even an outside shot at a run for the Europa League spots.

Ebbsfleet were in relegation trouble last time I had a look at the BSP, so not sure whether I'll get to play them again next year.

As for the goals... well whats winning the league without sending a message to everyone else while you're at it. :cool: It does also overshadow our impressive defensive record though :rolleyes: so I suppose I could send a couple your way if there were such a way...

If only... Just the thought may have helped, i scored 3 in 1 game, altho i also conceded 3:( but then scored 6 in my game after, altho that was in the FA trophy! Good news is McCormick came back from injury, and has ended his 617 min goal drought...Bad news is he then got injured for 3 weeks along with my goalie who is out for 6:( Why does FM not want me to succeed!!

Just played against West Ham. The last 15 minutes were basically one massive highlight reel after both teams had a man sent off. We were already 3-0 up so they were piling everyone forward and we retaliated in kind. We won 4-0 :cool:

I just watched through the highlights again. At 70 minutes there had been 12 shots on goal in the match. By 75 minutes there had been two red cards. By full time there had been 26 shots on goal :D Utterly mental.

Talking about strange things; the FA Cup 3rd round this season is being played on New Year's Eve instead of the first week in January :confused:

I've got the same thing again this season. The second time its happened in my game. I was a bit disappointed when we got drawn against Fulham, until I realised that Fulham are now in League 1 :D

More important than anything else happening in my game right now though is that Man Utd are in the relegation zone and face the very real prospect of going down from the PL for the second time in three seasons :cool: Whilst Liverpool are top of the Championship and looking like bouncing straight back.

:D

In all seriousness though, I'm a Liverpool fan and I've got a lot of time for FC United. A group of fans disenchanted with what was happening at their club and doing something about it, I can definitely sympathise with and respect that. And I've not even managed them in FM :D

Bit of an off-topic question. But as a Man City fan, is it bad that this FC United game is making me take a real shine to them?

I'm a City fan too bud and I came sooooooooooooo close to managing FC utd before plumping for Cambridge City........ or should that be Cambridge Citeh??!!

Now that 10.3 is out I'm dead tempted to start again..... possibly with FC

Which poses the question, where is Liverpool's equivalent?

And what would it be called?

To an extent AFC Liverpool fulfil that. They were set up by fans who felt they had been priced out of going to see Premier League football. I guess the biggest difference between AFC and FCUM is that AFC actually seem to have a pretty decent relationship with LFC.

Got an FC United save on the thread in my sig, all ready and waiting ;)

When I was having to start again I was trying to get FCUM on a reload to have a shot with them. They might have to wait until dafuge's FM11 challenge now :D

Back on topic a little, just picked up a kid who looks very good for a 16 year old. Radim Pokorny. Clearly he has to work on his fitness, and his off the ball and positioning stats are a little worrying, but the best judge of talent on my coaching team rates him at 3.5/5 in terms of potential, so I'm fairly excited about him.

Yes, back to the topic lol. He does look pretty impressive, and at 16 too! He could probably slot into the the squad now for you, albeit with the low fitness.

On my game, the news item says it all

"FC United face the impossible"

Chelsea, at Stamford Bridge, without Kirby, O'Brien, Greenhalgh, or Alan Power. And I can't play Martin Smith due to him not being able to play in cups.

At least I'll get richer from it.

What's the predictions?

Your all doing brilliantly! Midget's season was unreal while Terk is hitting the Europa spots with Canvey while Jordan probably just made alot of £££ after his trip to Chelsea!

then there's me.....

suprisingly not doing too bad at the moment and £100k gate receipts for 2nd round home fa cup tie with Morecambe was very much welcomed!

Your all doing brilliantly! Midget's season was unreal while Terk is hitting the Europa spots with Canvey while Jordan probably just made alot of £££ after his trip to Chelsea!

then there's me.....

suprisingly not doing too bad at the moment and £100k gate receipts for 2nd round home fa cup tie with Morecambe was very much welcomed!

Don't worry, you'll get there :thup::D

I can't help but feel if I had 'Gronaldo' and the likes for that game, I would have possibly got something :mad:

Archived