"Perfect" set up for UK only game

Ok, so there's not really a perfect setup for a new game base only in the UK, but I would like to hear some opinions on the matter. I'm looking to start a long career game, managing only teams in the UK. Which leagues would you load? What nations would you load all players from (if any at all)?

Any input would be appreciated!

IMO, for what it's worth, it depends on several things:

(1) What do you want out of the game? Are you going to want to jump ship to other leagues (It,Sp) at some point?

(2) Are you interested in top Euro competition - in which case I always find it's better to load the top div for the big euro leagues (It,Sp), and maybe smaller ones (Por,Ger,Fra,etc). I always prefer to have them loaded IF I'm going to be managing a big side, but they're pointless if not.

(3) Are you interested in lower league management? If not then League Two and up is all you want - BSP,BSN & BSS aren't likely to be providing you players if you're one of the big4.

(4) The spec of your PC. I have a new rig with loads of RAM, so I tend to feel quite happy loading many, to get that "worldwide" feel; on my laptop I load only what I have to.

(5) How patient you are - are you happy trawling through players / results while in the background FM processes, or do you want to get on with it.

Basically, I have many saves, and they are all pretty different games; each of my games gives me something different, and depending on my mood / how long I want to spend playing, I choose my save accordingly.

Finally, I also think the above idea, which many people forget, of having some leagues on "view only" is a very good one. I use it all the time.

All leagues from England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland and Ireland. You could also set the database size to "Small" and retain players from those leagues too, but that could cause an imbalance in the future.

What I'm doing at the moment is all leagues from England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland, Ireland, Italy, Spain, France, Germany and Holland, and I'm using Gillsminnow's Ultimate Retain Player file (search for "Gillsminnow Ultimate Retain" on Google).

You must love me, Saxonaitor! :D

To the O.P.: there are a couple of questions you want to consider, and the post by Highbury's Ghost pretty much encapsulates them.

My recommendation is the following leagues:

As "Playable", the top league from:

- Argentina

- Brazil

- England

- France

- Germany

- Italy

- Spain

That does a very good of giving you good competition in the Champions League and UEFA Cup, as at least the Eng/Fra/Ger/Ita/Spa clubs will have active AI managers, and therefore fairly decent squads. Also, there will be quality regens from the seven biggest nations, keeping your international game balanced (World Cup) and giving you some incentive to scout South America.

If you want to pursue some mid- to -lower league management, then I suggest you choose England "Playable" down to the league you want to start in and possibly one below that (for loans-out, promotion, and relegation). It might also behoove you to start Scotland (SPL for EPL/Ch, First Division for League One, Second for League Two, and Third for BSP/N/S), Ireland, Wales, and/or N.Ireland - this will give you some external sources that are interested in acquiring your unwanted players, and some external sources for cheap transfers-in once you're large enough to scout them.

If you have a hulking PC which can handle additional leagues, you might add the top league of any nation that you'd be interested in managing the national team for - e.g., Australia, Croatia, Holland, Portugal, South Africa, South Korea, U.S.A. I wouldn't do too many of these - only a couple. The idea there is, you have a lotmore fun with international management of countries with an active league - the regens are better, your national pool is overflowing with players, and the home-nation league gives you a place to keep scouting when nothing else is happening.

If you want to have active leagues for work-permit loans-out (No longer necessary: players on loans to inactive leagues correctly gain CA for the experience gained) then you probably want Spain liga adelante, Belgium, and Poland to be active.

It isn't necessary to mark "All players from" active for any nation; long-term, this shouldn't have an effect. If you are likely to dive into international management early in your career, then you probably want to tick it for countries that intrigue you, especially if they don't have an active league. (E.g., Jamaica, Nigeria, etc.)

I wish I could load that many leagues Amaroq. :D

Part of the problem I have is in working out how much my computer can handle in order to process at a decent speed that will last for many seasons.

The recommendation button gives me England, Spain, Italy and Scotland (12 leagues) but I think I could probably load more on my Intel dual core 1.66GHz with 3GB RAM.

I've tried setting up a few different combinations and timing it while holidaying for a month to compare speeds but I'm not sure this is helping me to decide what my laptop can handle and what my speed tolerance is. I'm also concerned about how much it might slow down in the future.

At the moment I'm procrastinating on starting a new game due to not finding a setting that seems right in terms of depth and speed.

Any tips on this?

C.

The recommend button always gives me that set up, Crouchy, whether I'm on my awesome PC or my laptop. I ignore it.

Here's an idea. Get a mate who's fairly knowledgeable about football and preferably FM to load the leagues within certain specifications. If you don't know what's loaded, you remove the psychological element.

Interestingly enough, after saying that, I had a look at my CPU Usage while running FM on holiday and it was only hovering around the 50% mark. Does this mean that FM isn't using my CPU properly? Shouldn't it be higher?

There are two graphs on Windows Task Manager, which I presume represent each 'core', and one of them is towards the maximum value with the other one much lower.

Pity I know nothing about computers otherwise I would be able to work out what this means by myself. Does this have something to do with threading? I've got it ticked at the moment.

:confused:

C.

P.S. Ticking and unticking threading appears to make no difference.

Interestingly enough, after saying that, I had a look at my CPU Usage while running FM on holiday and it was only hovering around the 50% mark. Does this mean that FM isn't using my CPU properly? Shouldn't it be higher?

There are two graphs on Windows Task Manager, which I presume represent each 'core', and one of them is towards the maximum value with the other one much lower.

Pity I know nothing about computers otherwise I would be able to work out what this means by myself. Does this have something to do with threading? I've got it ticked at the moment.

:confused:

C.

Untick it. Despite SI telling us how FM09 has won awards for it multi-core application (which in my own cynical way have always thought it more an Intel promotion), since 9.0 I've found the whole threading/multi-core thing to be broken. In fact, 09 performs twice as well on my single core laptop than it does on my AMD Dual Core beast, both threaded and unthreaded.

Definitely needs fixing for FM10, IMHO.

Crouchaldinho - let me know how you get on with it! I recommend the top leagues only because those 7 "top" leagues doesn't seem like that much, to my mind. Everything else is optional.

FWIW, I run a laptop with I think 19 leagues from 12 nations loaded, and tend to get along fine. It can be a bit boring in the summer, but regular-season isn't a problem.

So many long posts so little time. :D

I'm actully doing a UK game at the mo and I have loaded All English, Scottish, N Irish, Welsh and Australian leagues on a ancient PC with 1 processor and 1GB RAM which went down to 500MB last time I checked.

So many long posts so little time. :D

I'm actully doing a UK game at the mo and I have loaded All English, Scottish, N Irish, Welsh and Australian leagues on a ancient PC with 1 processor and 1GB RAM which went down to 500MB last time I checked.

how quick is it going?

I have large db and Welsh league on my crap laptop with 1 processor and 1gb of ram with vista which uses most of the ram and it is quite slow :(

Crouchaldinho - let me know how you get on with it! I recommend the top leagues only because those 7 "top" leagues doesn't seem like that much, to my mind. Everything else is optional.

FWIW, I run a laptop with I think 19 leagues from 12 nations loaded, and tend to get along fine. It can be a bit boring in the summer, but regular-season isn't a problem.

I've found that it is actually the nations, more than the number of leagues, that impacts upon speed. 20 leagues from 5 nations is much quicker than 15 leagues from 10 nations, for instance.

I tried your 7 league setting but I also loaded up extra leagues in England, France and Italy. In all, it was 18 leagues from 7 nations. It was a bit beyond my speed tolerance to be absolutely honest. It wasn't totally awful but I would have been waiting just that little bit too long between games.

I've knocked off the two South American leagues and have just gone with the 5 from Europe. Loaded 16 leagues from 5 nations. Seems better now. Length of time between games is down to around 3 or 4 minutes and I can put up with that.

EDIT - tested both with a large database by the way.

C.

Archived