FMS Community Thread

Raptor

Probably also taking credit for all the other writers who have been "inspired" by him - if they can even be noticed in the blinding glare created by his aura of brilliance!

icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif [not sure if that's worth one or two safety emoticons, but I'll err on the side of caution...]

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, but the game itself is great, just not supporting a team who are going full steam ahead to be the worst team in Premiership history.

I assume Greenland must be in North America...continent-wise...not that it seems to be mentioned in connection with anywhere else anyway and they certainly don't take part in World Cup qualifiers, which is a shame - I'm sure pampered footballers of other nations would love a trip to Greenland to play an international icon_wink.gif

You never realise what you've got, etc...

Car took out a telegraph pole on Friday night up the road. No Phone line, or internet connection, all weekend. Bah icon_frown.gif

Hopefully it'll be fixed before I have a couple of days off on Thursday and Friday. In brighter news, everyone was fine after the crash, despite the car taking the pole out and ending up in someone's garden on it's roof.

Must have been doing some - but then, the bloke who insists on parking his transit half way down a hump back bridge really didn't help matters, I wouldn't have thought.

Just read on the BBC website now that Billy Davies wants the Scotland job...I guess they could do a lot worse. He's an excellent manager I reckon despite the mess at Derby this season - even Mourinho would struggle to do a whole lot better with what Derby have.

Originally posted by glamdring:

Just read on the BBC website now that Billy Davies wants the Scotland job...I guess they could do a lot worse. He's an excellent manager I reckon despite the mess at Derby this season - even Mourinho would struggle to do a whole lot better with what Derby have.

No, no, no, no. Davies is intellectually deficient. No.

Originally posted by HD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

No, no, no, no. Davies is intellectually deficient. No. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What HD said icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone else see the David Beckham exhibition match, with a few Sydney FC and LA Galaxy players also wandering around aimlessly? I thought the A-League standard was pretty low, but Galaxy were dreadful. The only real highlight was a karate "tackle" which was somehow only deemed worthy of a yellow card from a ref who normally throws around reds randomly...

They couldn't make the playoffs in MLS's "everybody makes the playoffs" format. Of course they're dreadful.

They're not as bad as Toronto FC (smashed the MLS record for games without scoring a goal), replete with such wonderful players as Danny Dichio, Carl Robinson, and Sunderland reject Andy Welsh, who inexplicably managed to get a move to Blackpool, considering he was without question not as good a footballer as me icon_smile.gif

Have to say that LA Galaxy are, to put it politely, s***e. Beckham made the biggest mistake of his career going there, and for that he should never get near the England squad. Still, never mind. (But any team with Abel Xavier deserves to fail icon_wink.gif )

Originally posted by irishregan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They couldn't make the playoffs in MLS's "everybody makes the playoffs" format. Of course they're dreadful.

They're not as bad as Toronto FC (smashed the MLS record for games without scoring a goal), replete with such wonderful players as Danny Dichio, Carl Robinson, and Sunderland reject Andy Welsh, who inexplicably managed to get a move to Blackpool, considering he was without question not as good a footballer as me icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're all ex-Sunderland players aren't they? Mebee there's a theme icon_razz.gif

I just happened to switch on some random channel last night and see LA Galaxy 3-0 down to Sydney, briefly thought it must be Club World Championship, then remembered it is still November and LA Galaxy certainly won't be playing in that! As for 9½ games without scoring I doubt it is a record globally. I've had teams in FM who are excellent (well, most of the time) who have managed 5 games without a goal so there must be some crappy teams out there who go on monumental runs. Fort William always seem to ship goals in the Highland League and score very few whenever I see their results!

Originally posted by irishregan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They couldn't make the playoffs in MLS's "everybody makes the playoffs" format. Of course they're dreadful.

They're not as bad as Toronto FC (smashed the MLS record for games without scoring a goal), replete with such wonderful players as Danny Dichio, Carl Robinson, and Sunderland reject Andy Welsh, who inexplicably managed to get a move to Blackpool, considering he was without question not as good a footballer as me icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TFC were also an expansion 'franchise'. Not to mention they had the best fans in the league icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Amaroq:

I figured I had to let somebody else say it. icon_biggrin.gif

Glad I didn't disappoint as it was there for the taking.

You tee them up and I'll smash them out of the park or more appropriately, you put them in the penalty box and I'll tuck them away.

Just a shame they didn't play some of the other A-League sides. Danny Tiatto and Kevin Muscat would love to cut down Beckham...

Still, Galaxy have a few dirty players of their own. The tackle on Juninho was a disgrace, and another player (or was it the same one?) was sent off for stomping on a Sydney player.

Aaah! Paul Jewell! I am sooo pleased we didn't get the ominous delights of having Paul Ince as our new manager. If anyone can keep Derby County up, Paul Jewell can.

Mind you, along with the SPL the Championship is my favourite division so I was starting to quite looking forward to being back there and mebee actually winning a few games again...I'm sure we'll still go down so no need to worry there icon_razz.gif Quite amusing though that despite having such an appalling start to the season we are still within 2 wins of safety if we can just turn our form around!

I played the last game of my Watford story this morning - have to say it almost brought a tear to my eye icon_wink.gif

It is definately the longest I have kept a story running, as many regulars on the forum will agree, but it felt strange - sort of like leaving school icon_biggrin.gif

--

Oh and by the way, had a cheeky punt on Derby to stay up. I think signing Paul Jewell is a real coup for them, and he is one of the best young English managers about. Wigan should have stuck with him, but Derby have a good chance of staying up now icon_smile.gif

Yup, Wigan stuck with Jewell to such an extent that apparently they made him a huge (relatively at least) offer to return when they sacked Chris Hutchings or whatever he was called.

As for Derby being far better than they have so far - the bar is so low on that would it would be difficult not to raise it!

*is waiting for the inevitable news that Giles Barnes is going to make a move to some pointless club like West Ham in January icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by sherm:

I played the last game of my Watford story this morning - have to say it almost brought a tear to my eye icon_wink.gif

It is definately the longest I have kept a story running, as many regulars on the forum will agree, but it felt strange - sort of like leaving school icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, I know that feeling. Felt much the same when I played the last game of "Blade".

So whats the actual deal with people bagging Beckham constantly, sure he not the sharpest tool in the shed but he was one of the World's best players as recognized by a lot of experts and he is a great ambassador for the World Game.

He gets arses on seats and gets people interested in a sport which doesn't have the highest profile, and is always willing to give his time, and has to put with a lot of crap everywhere he goes, and he still plays a pretty good game to boot.

Personally I tip my hat to the man

Originally posted by Panpardus:

So whats the actual deal with people bagging Beckham constantly, sure he not the sharpest tool in the shed but he was one of the World's best players as recognized by a lot of experts and he is a great ambassador for the World Game.

He gets arses on seats and gets people interested in a sport which doesn't have the highest profile, and is always willing to give his time, and has to put with a lot of crap everywhere he goes, and he still plays a pretty good game to boot.

Personally I tip my hat to the man

I've got to agree, he's alright, his wife I can't stand.

I've got to agree, he's alright, his wife I can't stand.

I've always thought Beckham seemed like a decent sort, somewhat misguided by his trog of a wife.

A story about Beckham. The Mother of a girl in Mississauga (a suburb of Toronto), wrote a letter to Real Madrid asking for an autograph for her cancer stricken daughter, a big fan of Beckham. Not only did he send it, he called the girl up out of the blue and spoke to her on a few occasions to see how she was. The story only came out from the parents of the girl.

That was class, he didn't have to do that. There was nothing in it for him other than being decent to the girl.

Originally posted by sherm:

Have to say that LA Galaxy are, to put it politely, s***e. Beckham made the biggest mistake of his career going there, and for that he should never get near the England squad. Still, never mind. (But any team with Abel Xavier deserves to fail icon_wink.gif )

Beckham has 250 million reasons to disagree with you. icon_smile.gif

Fair point icon_smile.gif I have to echo what irishregan and wegason said though, as a person, Beckham deserves a lot of credit for some of his actions. Its a shame he's married to an attention grabbing wife who has no talent though

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Urgh, I can't type proper sentances any more! (Nor can I remember whether it should be "sentances" or sentences" icon_razz.gif)

FS I told you that only a few days ago icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, but it's one of those words that I just forget again instantly - I remember that I had the conflict over which spelling it was last time, but I can never remember what the outcome was icon_razz.gif

Strange really since others I remember forever after just being told once. I used to not know the difference between "there" and their" and "where" and "were" (back at school), but after being told once I have never again forgotten, although typos sometimes make it look as though I don't know the difference!

Archived