What the hell is up with this new patch?

I believe that every rewrite of the ME works in two ways. It will continue to reward the tactics which mirror the conceptualisation of it mechanics, but punish those that were exploiting unforeseen loopholes. Thus, for every ME change, a certain group will like it while others will say it has destroyed their tactics.

However, if we have a repeat of the 8.0.1-8.0.2 issue, then people will need to start a new game. Too early to tell yet.

From yours and PaulC's opinions, it really seems like what I'm seeing is a different game.

My problem with patch 9.2 can only be accurately described as players acting stupid. It's much different from not being able to win, or even to dominate a match. They're making ridiculous mistakes they didn't do before 9.2. Defenders will slow down on one on ones. Sometimes they'll just circle around the ball without touching it. Players are generally slow and sometimes they move in random directions. I'm describing it literally, no exaggeration. I'm stubborn and it took several matches for me to be convinced something was really wrong, especially when confronted to some opinions on this forum. It's just very frustrating.

None of those things seem related to tactics, considering it happens to the AI also. I'm using your TT&F tactics (Rule of One) and they were working great before patch 9.2. I was having fun with FM 09 and now it's just unplayable. I've given up my current game. It seems that I can't even go back to 9.1 because mine is a Steam version and it updates automatically into 9.2. So the game's on hold for me until 9.3 (or until SI provides me with a way to play 9.1 on Steam again). I don't have the time to be a beta tester, so this is my constructive criticism. Hope it helps SI figure out what's wrong - even though these problems don't seem to be affecting everyone.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From yours and PaulC's opinions, it really seems like what I'm seeing is a different game.

My problem with patch 9.2 can only be accurately described as players acting stupid. It's much different from not being able to win, or even to dominate a match. They're making ridiculous mistakes they didn't do before 9.2. Defenders will slow down on one on ones. Sometimes they'll just circle around the ball without touching it. Players are generally slow and sometimes they move in random directions. I'm describing it literally, no exaggeration. I'm stubborn and it took several matches for me to be convinced something was really wrong, especially when confronted to some opinions on this forum. It's just very frustrating.

None of those things seem related to tactics, considering it happens to the AI also. I'm using your TT&F tactics (Rule of One) and they were working great before patch 9.2. I was having fun with FM 09 and now it's just unplayable. I've given up my current game. It seems that I can't even go back to 9.1 because mine is a Steam version and it updates automatically into 9.2. So the game's on hold for me until 9.3 (or until SI provides me with a way to play 9.1 on Steam again). I don't have the time to be a beta tester, so this is my constructive criticism. Hope it helps SI figure out what's wrong - even though these problems don't seem to be affecting everyone.

Can you PM me some pkms so I can have a look, plus your tactics? Can do it via FMB or I can PM you my email, whichever you'd prefer.

• SI Staff
could be the problem with contionued games? maybe that are '2 versions'... the first thing i noticed with new game was blinkering issue but only in full screan mode as well as motivation screan disapeared. and that wasn't happening in continued game after patching that's why i'm quite sure something was going wrong with my continued game.

No that simply cant be the case to be honest.

Not trying to criticize you guys, but according to some posts by Paul C, 09 was tested primarily on English leagues. Maybe for next testings you should little bit disperse testers to different countries? I did beta testing in the past, and generally you don't concentrate all the testing in one place.

I did suggest that last year, for same league (Spanish leagues registrations), and if someone did that, you would have noticed this issue pre-release :)

What I said was I was testing injury data vs the English league, which isnt the same as saying we focused testing of 9.2 on the English leagues ;)

The defending does seem to be a bit comical. I played a game last night where 2 own goals were scored, both headers strikers would have been proud of. Not under any pressure or anyone near them and they just buried the header into the bottom corner. Own goals are part of football but they usually happen when players are under a bit of pressure..its just not very realistic, they seem to just stop and have a little look around whilst strikers run on past them and score

It could be a continued game issue. I've started a new game with Norwich and things are looking a bit better. I've only played 3 games so far so haven't noticed anything yet. I'll give it a proper look over christmas and if it is still being dodgy then I'd be more than happy to help test the 9.3...

It could be a continued game issue. I've started a new game with Norwich and things are looking a bit better. I've only played 3 games so far so haven't noticed anything yet. I'll give it a proper look over christmas and if it is still being dodgy then I'd be more than happy to help test the 9.3...

It can't be, it doesn't work that way. We've said so a few times now.

Well, the program I have installed on my computer, and the patches installed, are no different to what anyone else has. Technically they are the same, yet there is obviously a difference in experience between users... so you could also say that it can't be like that, and that it doesn't work that way, but unfortunately it is working that way. Some of us are having problems with idiot players, others are not. The common trend seems to be the continued games.

Well, the program I have installed on my computer, and the patches installed, are no different to what anyone else has. Technically they are the same, yet there is obviously a difference in experience between users... so you could also say that it can't be like that, and that it doesn't work that way, but unfortunately it is working that way. Some of us are having problems with idiot players, others are not. The common trend seems to be the continued games.

Mine's a brand new game started after 9.0.2 and my defenders defend like 3 year olds...

for what it's worth 9.2 works like how i believe SI intended it to, i have no gripes with it. yes, the ME is still a bit bugged but not even remotely as bad as anyone else says. i've not encountered the mass release of hot prospect players such as bojan either but i've only continued my old game that was stopped by july 24.

I have now went back to the 9.1.0 version, but i just wanted to add that one thing i DID like about that second patch was the way players would open their play, my supporting striker would use long balls to find my wingers free on the sides often, as well as the other players. Also the pressing was nice, the way they would close a player down which i use a lot.

What's left now is the hope that 9.3.0 will be better and will include those.

mate if you didn't start a new game, just do it, you got nothing to loose. it defentelty hepled me. i'm really starting to like ME and it isn't a 'same ME' as in continued game :thup:

You don't need to start a new game unless you specifically require data changes, most other changes are fixed even in save games.

the regional cup draws have remained in my game post patch in my save game, is this the same with new games or has it been fixed?

I am quite mystified by some of the feedback from 9.2. It *is* as if there are 2 versions out there, because of the polarization of opinions in these forums. To be honest we tested the 9.2 match engine using people from these forums and the consensus was we made a fair bit of progress - which isn't reflected by some of the recent posts.

All a bit depressing tbh. Perhaps some of those who are seeing flaws but are able to be constructive can join us beta testing 9.3?

paul how do i become a beta tester? i have some time on my hands and would be more than willing to help.

• SI Staff

We will be chasing up some new beta testers in the near future. All I can say is that people will need to have shown they can report issues constructively, be free of serious infractions on this forum, and also be willing to sign an NDA........

And there will be a limit to how many we take on, just in order to be able to manage it.

When I was playing with QPR in the Championship the ME seemed realistic, but in my current game with Newcastle the players act all crazy. Why the hell would Nicky Butt stop in the middle of the field, unchallenged, and then stand still doing nothing until the opposite team steals the ball from him?

And the transfer AI is ********. Why, oh why, do Villareal keep putting Jozy Altidore on the transfer list despite a great PA? And why do Axaj want to sell Rasmus Lindgren despite a good season, nice CA and good PA?

Edit: And as mentioned, it seems even harder for strikers to score goals after the patch.

Ok, seems like the players act crazy in only some of the games. In most of the ones I´ve played now they act pretty normal, even if they lose position and tend to make insane decisions every now and then. I still think it needs some tweaking.

And I still think the transfer AI is insane.

Edit: Must add, the player animations on the field is much more unrealistic in 9.2.0. Looks like they moonwalk and float around on the screen the same way the characters did on some of the crappier C64-games.

Archived