Mastering the low block, an offensive approach?

Interested to see how you do with this. I use a 442 with a mid block with the D pushed up to provide that compact defensive idea. I also am trying to use low pressing to see if I can move away from that high-press meta and also retain my defensive shape better with a combination of PI's and OI's. It's had some mixed results so far. 

I also consider Work Rate as one of those most important attributes as I've noticed defenders without it tend to be those that leave me frustrated when they switch off and let someone run by them. 

This is my 442 at the moment. 2nd in the Bundesliga, but 10pts behind the mighty Bayern. I don't play on the counter like you are, but maybe that'll change. 

image.png.5b0524cf1b71a40a39b7deb9f748e4ac.png

hace 6 horas, ceefax the cat dijo:

Mourinho's Madrid spring to mind

Another team that used to exploit the space really quickly, Xabi Alonso was great at choosing the first pass after the recover. Also I think that they used to play on a 4-2-3-1DM (formation that encourages the direct play)

hace 5 horas, CapitalismReimagined dijo:

What do you see as weaknesses of the tactic? 

When we talk about tactics, we talk about spaces. That´s why Pep is so obsessed about rest defense, to protect some spaces we have to give away others, here we encourage the opposition to attack the flanks allowing them space free to run into. This is one of the weakness that I see, another one can be all the pressure that you invite. To counter this type of weaknesses we need people to handle this situation, people that feels comfortable dealing with crosses, fullbacks that can really defend and not that typicall type of wingback that just bomb forward, and then people that can actually win the ball.

I think that if you can handle this weaknesses, you have the space in front to exploit as a reward. So in resume, the weaknesses are the pressure that you invite, giving up the flanks and giving up the possesion. The good thing about this is that you can make your strength or your game plan from your weakness, you kill two birds with one stone, since you cover your weakness and at the same time attack in this way.

hace 1 hora, Bahnzo dijo:

Interested to see how you do with this. I use a 442 with a mid block with the D pushed up to provide that compact defensive idea. I also am trying to use low pressing to see if I can move away from that high-press meta and also retain my defensive shape better with a combination of PI's and OI's. It's had some mixed results so far. 

I also consider Work Rate as one of those most important attributes as I've noticed defenders without it tend to be those that leave me frustrated when they switch off and let someone run by them. 

This is my 442 at the moment. 2nd in the Bundesliga, but 10pts behind the mighty Bayern. I don't play on the counter like you are, but maybe that'll change. 

image.png.5b0524cf1b71a40a39b7deb9f748e4ac.png

This is a nice set up, like some partnerships that you have like the AF-DLF(s) combo there. Your set up is more possession-oriented anyways.
If you want a player to engage more you need to look for players with high agression, I see Work rate more related to Teamwork. but if you have a squad with high Agression, Work Rate, Anticipation and Tackling you can defend triggering more press.
As I play a low-block I prefer player with low agression so we dont get pulled out of position, but high marking, concentration and anticipation makes more ratio of interception that tackles won ratio.

Edited by Vinay17

27 minutes ago, Vinay17 said:

This is a nice set up, like some partnerships that you have like the AF-DLF(s) combo there. Your set up is more possession-oriented anyways.

It's definitely more possession oriented than what you are going for, but I've noticed it also works very well if I play on the counter. Having that two striker partnership really shines when the DLF takes the pass and hits a thru ball to the AF. So that makes me curious to see how well your low block and counter version does. Might be good if I adopt that for the mega teams like Bayern or when I faced ManU in the Champions League. But my board forbids me playing like that all season. :)

On 06/02/2024 at 08:53, ceefax the cat said:

Mourinho's Madrid spring to mind

I had some success in FM22 or 23 with a tactic a bit like that. Very little closing down but a relatively high line of engagement seemed to be the way. I wanted the team to prioritise dropping back into a solid shape, but not to let the opponents into our half unmolested, so to have a little bit of closing down starting in their half was useful. High mentality, passing and tempo, narrow width.

1 hour ago, ceefax the cat said:

I had some success in FM22 or 23 with a tactic a bit like that. Very little closing down but a relatively high line of engagement seemed to be the way. I wanted the team to prioritise dropping back into a solid shape, but not to let the opponents into our half unmolested, so to have a little bit of closing down starting in their half was useful. High mentality, passing and tempo, narrow width.

Are you aware that you're talking to yourself here lol. 

hace 2 horas, mikcheck dijo:

@Vinay17 any updates?

Not yet sorry, at the moment I’m on vacations so I hadn’t play, but I’m looking forward to, don’t worry this thread will have updates.

Edited by Vinay17

2 hours ago, caco4003 said:

do you tend to use an agressive trigger press when using a low block?

I go for a low trigger press in a low compact block (no counter press as well). 

This prioritizes defensive shape and makes sure that when you do go to win the ball back, it's a higher % chance. I prefer an aggressive trigger when playing higher up the pitch, where an unsuccessful press is less punishing. Aggressive triggers on higher lines can actually make you more resolute, as pressuring the opposition protects the high defensive line.

This is somewhat stylistic, you could look to build an aggressive defensive press if you had the right players to do it. I might consider experimenting with a midblock if that's the goal. 

Edited by Cloud9

• 1 month later...
On 15/02/2024 at 16:00, Vinay17 said:

Not yet sorry, at the moment I’m on vacations so I hadn’t play, but I’m looking forward to, don’t worry this thread will have updates.

I'm guessing it didn't work out?

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, caco4003 said:

if you want a counter attacking low block tactic check this thread 

It's a very good and well written post.

It's also a far cry from the 442 tactic Leicester used in their winning season.

Em 15/02/2024 em 15:00, Vinay17 disse:

Guess not :rolleyes: