Meet The System - A FM24 Tactical Story

2 saat önce, Cleon said:

The Carrilero is responsible for providing support and balance to the midfield, ensuring that the central areas of the pitch are adequately covered. They work tirelessly to link the defensive and attacking units by winning the ball, maintaining possession, and distributing it effectively.

Hi @Cleon mind-opening as always, thank you👌

One thing I wonder. Wouldnt be CAR more fit on the right and AP on the left side? I assume CAR could cover the space behind the IF and AP could get a little bit space with IW which could stay wide more than IF. Also,  couldnt it helps with overload left and freeing IF on 1v1 situation. What do you think when you was choosing sides with these two roles?

Edited by ibrahim.akbyk

9 minutes ago, ibrahim.akbyk said:

Hi @Cleon mind-opening as always, thank you👌

One thing I wonder. Wouldnt be CAR more fit on the right and AP on the left side? I assume CAR could cover the space behind the IF and AP could get a little bit space with IW which could stay wide more than IF. Also,  couldnt it helps with overload left and freeing IF on 1v1 situation. What do you think when you was choosing sides with these two roles?

I'm doing somewhat of a recreation and wanting to cause numbers advantage in certain areas. Having the AP on the left when playing narrow, wouldn't allow the IW to come as narrow as I like. He would also attract the ball more than those two roles, which kind of goes what I want to happen down the left side. I want the IW and WR to be the natural creators on that side. I actually have more attacking options this way, as the AP can drift out left at times but doesn't do it all the time. So we have unpredictability in the team too.

We want to create as much space as we can, not cover it up. We want to encourage the opposition to come into these areas and then we can force turnovers and swarm the area with aggressive pressing. This then causes the AI to be out of shape and we can use this new space that has opened up.

1 dakika önce, Cleon said:

I'm doing somewhat of a recreation and wanting to cause numbers advantage in certain areas. Having the AP on the left when playing narrow, wouldn't allow the IW to come as narrow as I like. He would also attract the ball more than those two roles, which kind of goes what I want to happen down the left side. I want the IW and WR to be the natural creators on that side. I actually have more attacking options this way, as the AP can drift out left at times but doesn't do it all the time. So we have unpredictability in the team too.

We want to create as much space as we can, not cover it up. We want to encourage the opposition to come into these areas and then we can force turnovers and swarm the area with aggressive pressing. This then causes the AI to be out of shape and we can use this new space that has opened up.

I see, it is more clear to me now, thanks 🙏

12 minutes ago, llama3 said:

Lovely stuff @Cleon - what your views on AP(s) and how well it combines with IF(s) & IW(s) - have a preference?

As an attacking trio? I think it's good but I prefer the dynamic of them with the IF being a SS instead. I love an AP support though when they have players running beyond them and they're behind dictating play.

58 minutes ago, Cleon said:

As an attacking trio? I think it's good but I prefer the dynamic of them with the IF being a SS instead. I love an AP support though when they have players running beyond them and they're behind dictating play.

I meant central AP(s) with IF(s) versus central AP(s) with IW(s). 

24 minutes ago, llama3 said:

I meant central AP(s) with IF(s) versus central AP(s) with IW(s). 

I like it, but I prefer central AP, WB, and IWs on the wing. I love how the IW and WB link up; it's much better combination play compared to the WB and IF imo. Even though the AP isn't on the same side, he still is at times, as he just drifts around constantly.

@Cleon As always lovely stuff mate! Really enjoyed it. I especially like your 4-2-2-2 Brazilian Box tactic version. It's funny but it seems that we woke up on same side of bed today because I have been obsessing about 4-2-2-2 narrow all day today. And then saw your thread :lol: What a lovely coincidence! This definitely gave me more tactical inspiration.

Edited by crusadertsar

Fantastic series @Cleon, as always! Two questions if I may, firstly regarding the sweeper keeper.

• Do you see him make risky line breaking passess when under pressure? Would you expect progressive passes from him like from the Ball playing CBs?
  • My other question would be about the 4-3-3 variants. I can see that behind the striker you mostly have two aggressive wingers, be it IW or IF, os a SS. I am trying to set up a 4-1-4-1 but struggling because I want to implement a wide playmaker but seem to be completely nullified when pressed deep - even against inferior teams . Do you think it is necessary to always use two aggessive attackers from the wing in a 4-3-3? Seems to me like modern tactics both in real life and in FM rely on players being high and wide and having midfielders and fullbacks running beyond them which I struggle to achieve because the players end up limiting each other's space with a WP.

11 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

@Cleon As always lovely stuff mate! Really enjoyed it. I especially like your 4-2-2-2 Brazilian Box tactic version. It's funny but it seems that we woke up on same side of bed today because I have been obsessing about 4-2-2-2 narrow all day today. And then saw your thread :lol: What a lovely coincidence! This definitely gave me more tactical inspiration.

Haha glad I could help :D

8 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

Fantastic series @Cleon, as always! Two questions if I may, firstly regarding the sweeper keeper.

• Do you see him make risky line breaking passess when under pressure? Would you expect progressive passes from him like from the Ball playing CBs?
  • My other question would be about the 4-3-3 variants. I can see that behind the striker you mostly have two aggressive wingers, be it IW or IF, os a SS. I am trying to set up a 4-1-4-1 but struggling because I want to implement a wide playmaker but seem to be completely nullified when pressed deep - even against inferior teams . Do you think it is necessary to always use two aggessive attackers from the wing in a 4-3-3? Seems to me like modern tactics both in real life and in FM rely on players being high and wide and having midfielders and fullbacks running beyond them which I struggle to achieve because the players end up limiting each other's space with a WP.

1) Yeah, he can do these types of passes at times. It depends on the player you use for the role, though, as to how frequently they happen. He should get some progressive passes but if it's high, it's an issue and means the team aren't playing out from the back like I should be doing. So it's all about knowing what is right and wrong for the system and settings you use.

2) I don't think the roles are that aggressive on a support duty. The Shadow Striker is really aggressive, though. But the two roles are based on the striker's role. If you have a striker who drops deep then the two other players need to go beyond and past him into the box. Or it makes it a bit pointless. You'd be a bit toothless if the other two roles didn't provide a direct goal-threat. If you want to use a wide AP, then you need to build around him and likely need a striker who stays high to make use of the through balls etc. Likely need a MC on the same side busting a gut to get into the box too, to create nice triangular passes and a moveing target for the AP to aim for too.

14 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

Just an example of something I’ve done before the WP was an available role - in FM17, I moved my Arsenal to a 4-3-3 to try and get the best out of Ramsey and Ozil - played Ozil as an AP(s) on the right wing with Ramsey a CM(a) at MRC and Bellerin a CWB(a) - had Ozil sat narrower too so he had Ramsey underlapping and Bellerin overlapping. 

On 17/01/2024 at 12:21, llama3 said:

Just an example of something I’ve done before the WP was an available role - in FM17, I moved my Arsenal to a 4-3-3 to try and get the best out of Ramsey and Ozil - played Ozil as an AP(s) on the right wing with Ramsey a CM(a) at MRC and Bellerin a CWB(a) - had Ozil sat narrower too so he had Ramsey underlapping and Bellerin overlapping. 

That's a good way of doing it

• 1 month later...

I tried the 433 you’ve set up and the movement of the midfield three was really interesting. The carrilero and RPM switched places a lot and the carrilero would a lot of times be the deepest when the RPM surges forward. I tried using a DLP thinking it would be more secure, instead him holding position made everything worse as he wasn’t supporting the right flank enough, and the carrilero was too static. I never would’ve thought to use an RPM there.

The IF-s does tend to get isolated sometimes if the ball gets to him early so I kinda get why you’d use an SS. But with an IF would you use anything besides an AP-WB  combo to support it? 

5 hours ago, backpocket said:

I tried the 433 you’ve set up and the movement of the midfield three was really interesting. The carrilero and RPM switched places a lot and the carrilero would a lot of times be the deepest when the RPM surges forward. I tried using a DLP thinking it would be more secure, instead him holding position made everything worse as he wasn’t supporting the right flank enough, and the carrilero was too static. I never would’ve thought to use an RPM there.

The IF-s does tend to get isolated sometimes if the ball gets to him early so I kinda get why you’d use an SS. But with an IF would you use anything besides an AP-WB  combo to support it? 

A DLP is more static compared to the RPM, and this becomes an issue when everyone else in the side is mobile, allowing gaps to appear. That's why a RPM is needed, so the team can move as a unit and take away space from the opposition by all being in close proximity to each other.

As dor the IF being isolated, this was created for a specific thing and I didn't really like that version much hence the SS. But the whole system is set up to play, as I set out in the posts above. But if you wanted to play the IF version, you could set it up however you wanted to play. If you changed the AP or WB, then that would likely have a knock-on effect everywhere on the pitch, as the AP is really the heartbeat of the side. So you'd have to adapt and make other changes to reflect how the system would now function. But like always, any combo can work. It's how you build around them to take advanatge of it.

16 minutes ago, Cleon said:

A DLP is more static compared to the RPM, and this becomes an issue when everyone else in the side is mobile, allowing gaps to appear. That's why a RPM is needed, so the team can move as a unit and take away space from the opposition by all being in close proximity to each other.

As dor the IF being isolated, this was created for a specific thing and I didn't really like that version much hence the SS. But the whole system is set up to play, as I set out in the posts above. But if you wanted to play the IF version, you could set it up however you wanted to play. If you changed the AP or WB, then that would likely have a knock-on effect everywhere on the pitch, as the AP is really the heartbeat of the side. So you'd have to adapt and make other changes to reflect how the system would now function. But like always, any combo can work. It's how you build around them to take advanatge of it.

Thanks for the reply! I never would have thought if everyone’s mobile, the guy who holds position will ruin everything. 

Enjoy seeing your tactical discussion and then trying it myself to see how it works. Things always… fit perfectly somehow. 

13 hours ago, s3bofficial said:

excelente publicación, tengo una consulta como armarias un 41212 utilizando esta filosofía.

You would just move one of the AM's to the striker position. So you'd likely use a AF and a DLF combo for attack. 

On 16/01/2024 at 11:50, Cleon said:

4-2-2-2 Box Shape

4222.webp.e0b9cd687f008e9ac64c21216411e23f.webp

The narrow 4-2-2-2 formation focuses on central overloads and quick combinations between the central midfielders and the two forwards. The fullbacks provide width and attacking support, while the defensive midfielders help maintain possession and control the game’s tempo. The anti-positional approach allows for fluid movement and positional interchanges, creating unpredictability in the attack.

Isn't the AM-A and the DLF-S stepping on each other's feet when positioned like this?
Also, is there any logic behind using two playmakers?

On 02/03/2024 at 10:48, Slipky said:

Isn't the AM-A and the DLF-S stepping on each other's feet when positioned like this?
Also, is there any logic behind using two playmakers?

Why would they step on each other when positioned like this? Do fullbacks and wingers step on each others toes when you're doing over/underlaps? Do attacking CM's like B2B, Mez or CMa step on the striker? It's how you create overloads/combination play football.

As for why 2 playmakers, its explained in the articles the benefits and why I did it, due to wanting to create something specific.

Interesting about support duties! But I miss guidance on mentality and adjusting tactics after player quality. For example if you play a really low division with bad players or have slow centerbacks with low anticipation etc they are gonna be caught out high up vs longer balls on fast attackers etc.

I think the game more than ever tells us that the best managers of this game are the ones that can adapt to anything and use as many tools of the tactics as possible. So I'm looking for guidance how to counter different tactics. For example 4231 that I'm playing has a weakness vs 4-1-2-2-1 and their DM+2 CM . But 4-1-2-2-1 also has a weakness in no Central Attacking midfielder. I started to "counter-counter" that by "force opposition inside" and it seems to work. Confirmation bias or not I dont know but I want to learn more ways to counter different tactics =)

49 minutes ago, Dreambuilder said:

Interesting about support duties! But I miss guidance on mentality and adjusting tactics after player quality. For example if you play a really low division with bad players or have slow centerbacks with low anticipation etc they are gonna be caught out high up vs longer balls on fast attackers etc.

I think the game more than ever tells us that the best managers of this game are the ones that can adapt to anything and use as many tools of the tactics as possible. So I'm looking for guidance how to counter different tactics. For example 4231 that I'm playing has a weakness vs 4-1-2-2-1 and their DM+2 CM . But 4-1-2-2-1 also has a weakness in no Central Attacking midfielder. I started to "counter-counter" that by "force opposition inside" and it seems to work. Confirmation bias or not I dont know but I want to learn more ways to counter different tactics =)

I go into detail here about how to adapt etc and I started off with the worst team on the entire game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cleon. Great post btw. Really enjoyed reading it. Are you planning on continuing the articles on view from the touchline ? I'm interested on hiw you prepare for matches using the opposition scout reports and exploiting weakness etc

Edited by andyinc

19 hours ago, andyinc said:

Hi Cleon. Great post btw. Really enjoyed reading it. Are you planning on continuing the articles on view from the touchline ? I'm interested on hiw you prepare for matches using the opposition scout reports and exploiting weakness etc

Hi, yeah when I get time as I haven't had much recently. But I discuss all those things linked in the topic above if you need something more immediate. There's a dedicated chapter in it for this.