One-Star Super Sub: Should I keep him?

Mbeka is my 1.5 star DM that my entire staff thinks I should drop. Other than his physicality, his stats are mediocre. However, he's among my best players in ratings, and even scored or assisted in critical moments. He doesn't disappoint in the starting eleven and is particularly a beast as a second-half sub. His salary is cheap.

Two questions: why the discrepancy between staff opinion and his match performance?!  And, should I keep him (now that I was promoted to the Vanarama National League)? 

image.thumb.png.99ac1eac36a634dfc278c56b8bcd02ec.png

image.thumb.png.e5012522c141960de9a19f0ae127a38d.png

If he is consistently performing well on the pitch, there are no reasons that I can see why you should get rid of him unless there is another option that offers a substantial increase in output.

11 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Mbeka is my 1.5 star DM that my entire staff thinks I should drop. Other than his physicality, his stats are mediocre. However, he's among my best players in ratings, and even scored or assisted in critical moments. He doesn't disappoint in the starting eleven and is particularly a beast as a second-half sub. His salary is cheap.

Two questions: why the discrepancy between staff opinion and his match performance?!  And, should I keep him (now that I was promoted to the Vanarama National League)? 

image.thumb.png.99ac1eac36a634dfc278c56b8bcd02ec.png

image.thumb.png.e5012522c141960de9a19f0ae127a38d.png

Keep him if he's performing, I've had a few like that over the years. Out of interest what league are you managing in?  I noticed you're managing Spennymoor, but your wages are incredible. 

Unless you're managing at a high level, you can often ignore staff ratings about players.

Attributes trump CA (which is how your staff are rating Mbeka) until you get to the point where you start wanting well-rounded players. He's got decent attributes for a DM at your level who doesn't have to run around much, and the fact he can out-jump most players is probably contributing to his good performances. 

I'd give him the chance to play in the Vanarama National and see how he gets on; I reckon he'll be okay.

League 2 might be a bit beyond him, though.

2 hours ago, jyny said:

Keep him if he's performing, I've had a few like that over the years. Out of interest what league are you managing in?  I noticed you're managing Spennymoor, but your wages are incredible. 

They're annual salaries rather than the weekly ones most of us (I guess!) use.

11 hours ago, jyny said:

p/a = per annum = yearly. Salary and wages are not the same thing. Salaries refer to the total annual remuneration (even in the UK). Wages refer to the frequency by which a salary is paid (monthly, weekly, biweekly, etc.). "Weekly wages" is a very British thing...

4 hours ago, phd_angel said:

p/a = per annum = yearly. Salary and wages are not the same thing. Salaries refer to the total annual remuneration (even in the UK). Wages refer to the frequency by which a salary is paid (monthly, weekly, biweekly, etc.). "Weekly wages" is a very British thing...

Sorry, just noticed the p/a now. I'm only used to weekly.

14 hours ago, Brentford Alan said:

They're annual salaries rather than the weekly ones most of us (I guess!) use.

I just realised that looking at the picture again. I always go by weekly wages.

12 hours ago, jyny said:

I just realised that looking at the picture again. I always go by weekly wages.

I think people that use annual wages must be some kind of maths genius.  Those big numbers are unnecessarily complicated and make my brain hurt. 

2 minutes ago, priority76 said:

I think people that use annual wages must be some kind of maths genius.  Those big numbers are unnecessarily complicated and make my brain hurt. 

Agreed. I thought they had had a takeover or something with those wages being paid. I know where I am with weekly wages couldn't work with annual.

Players like that are essential to any squad. Reliable performance, delighted with modest playing time, boosts the mood by being happy. Your lad here has good all-round stats and a useful bonus in his height. Definitely keep.

I ignore my staff in basically everything 😅

The only thing I have them do is training for the youth teams. 

Everything to do with the first team I usually do myself.