FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Thats a bit odd, I'd have expected when you changed it around for Rooney to start scoring - all my goals seem to come from whoever I play in the middle - I think I might need to tweak the FL/FR positions a bit.

How are you finding it home/away? I seem to be doing better with it away - I think I need to work on the mentality a bit.

I agree with Anderson - Nani has been disappointing for me so far, I play hargreaves, carrick and anderson in the middle 3 (scholes is out for 3 months. Funny how it echoes real life sometimes....)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im fine with it both home and away. I've had some great results away like 5-1 at Arsenal, and a 6-2 victory against Valencia. However I've had some good results at home such as beating Liverpool 2-0. I do think the mentality might need adjusting at home though, because it doesnt seem enough chances are made.

I play a midfield trio of Gibson, Carrick and Anderson. Hargreaves is used for tough away home/away games where I need a more destructive DM. Scholes I use in Gibsons position whenever he's fit tbh, its shocking how bad his fitness is, he plays one game and cant play the next two. Gibson has been brill though so it doesnt really matter.

Btw how do you fit Giggs in? I tend not to play him, and if I do, he gets a sub appearence in the AMC spot.

this game is ridiculous!!! ive playd 2 seasons with United, 1st season came 2nd = on points with chelsea 93 & lost of GD they had 61 i had 56!!! bloody gay they had 28games unbeaten, but it GOT EVEN WORSE! 2nd season they got 100 points!!! conceeded 17gls in the season, had a 34 game unbeaten run & during the middle of the season had a 18 game winning streak, thanks 2 them i got sacked for not winning the league ny1 else have a super chelsea team in there FM?

my strikers all seem to go in & out of form 2gther which didn help much, & chelsea seem 2 play there same team for every game epl, ucl, fa cup, league cup & they never get tired...they playd drogab vs me wen he was out with a broken jaw & was recovering had days left & was @ 70% he scored a fkn hat-trick!! does fitness even matter in this game!!!

Originally posted by Brek:

if snyone is looking for a top left back, Marcelo from Real Madrid is class, has a release of 5.5m at the start of the game and also is a very good back up for left wing. evra is my highest rated player but am thinking about selling him because of this steal of a player icon14.gif

wont come to me i already tried him currently not intrested in a move so i bought adriano from sevilla.

i bought de guzmen in first season for 10 million he didnt really hit it off just sold him fro 16 million to madrid

madrid also want lee martin lmao now idea why is he any good?

im looking for a back up rgith mid for ronaldo anyone recommend im tryin to get renato augusto but dont no if hes good enough yet.

lost the league with to games to go against liverpool gutted ended trophyless

Alrite lads,started a new game yesterday and was going so well i ended up doing an all nighter lol,im in my second season and just beat Arsenal 4-2 in Community Shield.

i think my squad is almost complete now having made some nice profits from selling players and nice buys too.all i really need now is a replacement for Van Der Sar and im also going to sign some good youngsters so my reserves are a good team.I won EPL in first season btw,

p.s. rate my team and if you want any other screenshots just ask...

Drewzo

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9636/gunitou5.jpg

Started first game as Man u - standard for any new FM - get a good team, with money to strat seeing the changes!!

Generally, I found that you will need another quality striker as Saha just doesn't cut it in this game - I brought in Aguerro for 17 mil...

I play an attacking 4-4-2 with One central mid assigned as "defensive Mid" on the player options, and both wingers set more as Attacking midfielders than out and out wingers - The lack of height and aerial ability in the team means crossing is generally pointless.

The one thing I found annoying was that I was forced to sell Pique by the board when AC bid around 8 mill - a bit harsh IMO, but when your club has 650 mil of debt, maybe it could happen.

In the long term I've found you will need a Giggs, Neville and Scholes replacement from the off, I secured Wiljhel-something or other, a 17yr old AM RLC who looks really promising as an attacking central mid and is 17, now working on the Giggs and Neville - though Brown/O'shea will do a job there no worries...

Peace

Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phantom1998:

So can a get a general conceses on who's the better striker to get? After I read these threads most ppl went for the following strikers:

Amurai

Huntalaar

Gyan Asoamoah

Berbertov

Pandev

The best is Pandev tbh. The rest are good but Berbatov is too slow and not good enough in the air, ditto Huntelaar, Asamoah's first touch sucks and Amauri...well he seems to old and not particularly brilliant at anything in particular. Great all round though. Pandev is fast, creative, strong, can shoot from far and can play through balls. He may be too similar to Tevez and Rooney though. At least he doesn't drop deep.

Wtf is this with people winning 6-1 against Chelsea and Spurs? I thought my tactics were decent... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually looking at Pandev's stats again he looks like he's a good Giggsy replacement rather than a striker. Anyone agree?

Well boys, as usual I am late... just bought the full version of the game and therefore will be starting a new game. Any ideas on a good team to be? Hehe, just kidding, you all know who I am gonna be... Valencia! icon_rolleyes.gif Anywho, I dont suppose there is a patch out already? And in the demo apparently closing down in tactics were broken, is it fixed?

Just had a amazing game against Liverpool. Totally thrashed them, 5-0 at the end. Outplayed them from the first whistle to last and it showed with a hattrick from Tevez and a double from Rooney. Gave them no space at all and played some wonderful football, Rafa's men just couldn't keep up. Had a reserve keep in as Kuzsack and Van der saar, he had little to do as the scouse lads only mustered 4 shots on goal.

Currently unbeaten in 18 games, only loss came on penalties to Chelsea, dominated the game but no lethality up front with Rooney and Tevez injured.

unbeatenleaguevm2.jpg

<A HREF="http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=508&i=unbeatenleaguevm2.jpg" TARGET=_blank>liverpoolthrashedhf6.jpg </A>

Thanks for all the people who reply to my post NONE lol.

Joking boys i dont care that much. Nice to be noticed tho icon_wink.gif

In my game i have only played 7 games in league and i just beat Arsenal 6-0 at old trafford. Only problems i seem to have is in every game ive played i have had a goal dissalowed, Starting to **** me off a little. Also having loads of players sent off too.

But game is **** hot !!

Originally posted by davidbowie:

Chelsea were the same in my game.

They won the league in the first 2 seasons, first season they only lost 4 games, only let in 19 goals. 2nd season they lost 7 games, let in 26 goals. I finally beat them to the title in season three, on goal difference.

I'm half way thourgh my First season and Chelsea is in 8th icon_smile.gif They keep drawing and couldn't win most away games.

Originally posted by Jimmy Valentino:

Well boys, as usual I am late... just bought the full version of the game and therefore will be starting a new game. Any ideas on a good team to be? Hehe, just kidding, you all know who I am gonna be... Valencia! icon_rolleyes.gif Anywho, I dont suppose there is a patch out already? And in the demo apparently closing down in tactics were broken, is it fixed?

Only the beta patch is out, I am waiting for the proper patch to be released within the next week or so before starting my career man utd game. Way too many bugs with the beta, not worth it.

Tbh Sheps, I don't play him. I couldn't accomodate him and get the best out of Anderson, and seeing as I only see Giggs as having one last year in him, I'd rather give Nani a chance every now and again.

Havent given Gibson a go yet in the Scholes position, I usually don't start playing him til the second season.

Originally posted by Evon:

What bugs? I've spent alot of time on my unpatched game already. Haven't started my season yet as well! Pre-season games really get in the way.

Morale issues? Players going from superb to poor inside a week if they don't play. Opposition clubs having players on very low morale. There's a thread about it in the bugs forum. Quite a few more general ones as well.

Ive started a Utd game.

I had £13m budget so just decided to buy Youngsters

Ins

Alex (Vasco £100k) (June 08)

Saivet £450k

Mezenga £1.9m

Aaritalo £200k

Breno £5m (January 08)

Cahais 100k

Banega £2m

Kerlon £1m

Thiago £3.8m

Lulinha £1.2m (July 08)

Vela £19m (July 08)

Outs

Lee 700k

Ferdinand £13m (Under Priced but was unhappy and Breno is better)

Eagles Loan

Cahais Loan (Has to do 1800 days at the Club before getting a WP.)

Campbell loan

Captain C.Ronaldo

V.Captain N.Vidic

Team

GK VDS

LB Evra

RB

CB Vidic

CB Pique

CM Banega

LAM Nani

CAM Anderson

RAM Ronaldo

ST Rooney

ST Tevez

S1 Mezenga

S2 Arritalo

S3 Thiago

S4 Giggs

S5 Scholes

Results

Man Utd 3-2 Sunderland

Man Utd Scorers

Tevez (Hat Trick)

Boro 1-1 Man Utd

Man Utd Scorers

Rooney

Man Utd 2-0 West Ham

Man Utd Scorers

Tevez

Thiago

So far im delighted with my Young Signings and the way the team is playing.

And the Carlos Vela deal in July 08 is a massive boost.

Originally posted by Brek:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skinaldo:

all i really need now is a replacement for Van Der Sar

Drewzo

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9636/gunitou5.jpg

sland just got relegated, trying for Gordon to battle Foster for no.1 jersey. anyone had him before??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

forget it, just got Buffon for 25 mil and 15 over 24 months icon_biggrin.gif

End of season update - Season 4 - 2010/11

End of Season League Table

Squad

This season was very strange. We had 3 bad games, and those 3 knocked us out in the FA Cup, and the Champions League, in the 3rd round and Quarter Final stage respectively. As a MU fan I'm sure we would all take a Carling Cup/Premiership Double, but this season, after the start we had (we only lost 2 premiership games before we won the title), and the team I had assembled, I was thinking Quadreble.

The League Cup run started poorly, having to defeat Birmingham with penalties, then smashing Preston 4-1, Portsmouth 2-3 away, then destroying Sunderland 5-1 on agg, then despatching Wigan 0-3 in the final, only allowing them 1 shot on target in the whole game. After last years dismal performance with the reserves, I kept the majority of the first team playing, only rotating various players in and out of the team through the season.

The season was, in someways dissapointing, and in others brilliant. We had a 21 game unbeaten premiership run, which was broken by losing 3-0 to Birmingham in the game right after our loss in the CL quarters. We were unbeaten at the start of the season for 16 games in all competitions and friendlies, We won the Community shield 2-0 vs Chelsea, and kept the momentum through the EPL season, never looking like losing the Title after establishing the huge unbeaten run.

We won the League at Manchester City two games later, winning 2-4 after being 2-1 down in the 60th minute.

After remaining undefeated in the CL group stages (against Rangers, Real Madrid and some crap random team), we defeated Dortmund 5-4 on agg in the 1st KO stage, and then had the tough draw of Lyon in the Qtr Final. We had played them last year and won 4-3 on agg, and in the final the previous year winning 3-0, so I expected to at least put up a fight. A 0-1 loss in the home leg followed by a dismal 2-0 loss in the away leg left me wondering what the hell had happened.

The FA Cup was one of those typical, mythical FM matches where no matter what you do, the players you have, it appears the game just will not let you win. The first leg was bad enough (19 shots, only 6 on target), but the replay at home was just utterly bizzare.

FA Cup 3rd round replay loss

Cup competitions\Confidence

I'm not happy about the confidence here. The current 2 year plan was started before my 3rd season. I have won the Premiership both years, made the Champions League final last year, won a Carling Cup, and won a few other minor trophies. They still have not offered me a new contract.

Transfers and targets

Transfers

I sold Nani as it was a good deal and I had a wonderkid who was probably better or at least going to be better, to slot into his position. The chairman then sold the wonderkid as well before the Nani deal was finalised, meaning I had to stick in my 3rd choice winger. The wonderkid deal was massively idiotic, he was bought for 4 million. He had a 50% on sale clause. He was sold for 10. Which means the club made a profit of 1 million. What a ridiculous situation.

The defence is going to need some major investment in the next year or 2. Vidic is nearly 30, Rio, O'Shea and Brown are on the downward slope towards retirement/coaching with Hargreaves probably following, and hopefully a sale of Vidic will fund the extra defenders to replace them (I probably should have sold him last season when Barcelona wanted him). I have Pique and Johnny Evans to cover the main defensive posititions, and a couple of regens (one Australian, one German) who are 17 and 18 years old to hopefully move into the defensive midfield role.

Awards:

In a world cup year as well as making the Champions League final last season, my players cleaned up.

Tevez - World Cup Golden Ball, Golden Boot, World Cup Dream Team

Rooney - World Cup Golden Ball 2nd, World Cup Dream Team, FIFA World Player of the Year 2nd, UEFA Footballer of the Year, UEFA Forward of the Year, FWA Footballer of the Year 2nd, EPL Goal of the Year 2nd

Ronaldo - FIFA World Football of the Year, FIFA World Player of the Year, UEFA Footballer of the Year 2nd, UEFA Midfielder of the Year, FWA Footballer of the Year, Player of the Month x1, Best Foreign Based Portugest Player.

Messi - FIFA World Player of the Year 3rd, UEFA Midfielder of the Year 2nd, PFA Player of the Year 2nd

Hargreaves UEFA Footballer of the Year 3rd, UEFA Midfielder of the Year 2nd

Rio - UEFA Defender of the Year 1st

Lucas Trecarichi - Young Player of the Month x1

Me - Manager of the Month x4, Manager of the Year

Team of the Year:

Valon Behrami, Baines, Vidic, Ronaldo, Messi, Hargreaves

Playes in National Best 11 for 2010:

Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney - England

Ronaldo, Nani - Portugal

Valon Behrami - Switzerland

Nemanja Vidic - Serbia

Tevez, Messi - Argentina

January Report 07-08

Okay, so I may not be in my 4th season or however far in you crazed players are, but I am most definately enjoying the game as it is. So, a quick update from me, then I'm off.

After one of my worst, if not the worst, starts in any FM game so far, my team started to play proper football and I found myself reclaiming 2nd place with ease. Chelsea were high flying at the top, until Tottenham cut them down with a 1-0 beating of them, leaving me the chance to catch up on points. I had Wigan to play, end result - 3-1 to me, Ronaldo hattrick (his fourth this season already). I'm now level on points with Chelsea, and top because of that magic goal difference.

So, when the window opened, I looked for some improvements to my squad, there were no obvious ones, apart from that I needed to get rid of Aaritalo and Saha (moaner!) because they were truly awful. Still havent loaded them off though, no one wanted them icon_frown.gif The money I saved from the pre season helped, £17M to spend in January in the first season is always nice. Yet I havent spent all of it, just over half in fact.

In:

Miguel Veloso - £9.75M - This guy looks like dynamite in the form of a footballer. Yet another player Man Utd have took from Sportings grasp. Should be a rock in the middle of the park, hopefully he'll provide the muscle whilst Gibson, Carrick or Scholes provide the passes.

No one sold, so meh. When I reach the summer I want to bring in a new striker and goalkeeper, possibly a new RB as well. Then, I think my team will be complete for a few season, until players start to retire.

Im in my first season and tried to pick up Dani Alves for 9M plus Fletcher and 15% sell on, but Sevilla came back with an even better offer.

Dani Alves in exchange for Darren Fletcher.......and thats it!!

The only catch being Fletcher wont go ffs, as he feels that he is a regular player for me!! Dont know where he's got that idea from as I haven't played him for nearly most of the season, and ive even changed hsi transfer staus to not needed by the club!

Well that sparked a bidding war and Inter waded in with a 11.75M offer plus player (this turned out to be ronaldo), which finally landed him.

Damn! wish i could have landed him as that would have been a fantastic deal!!

Coming up to the end of my first season with Man U and things are ok.

Currently 4 points clear at the top of the table with Arsenal 2nd, 30 games played but have only won 20, lost 5 and drawn 5. In the QF of the CL against Inter after claiming 15 points in the group stage and edging out Stuttgart in the first knockout round.

Arsenal knocked me out of both domestic cups, 3rd round for the league cup and QF for the FA Cup.

So overall not bad, Bolton did the double over me (how embarassing) and I failed to beat Reading in the league (Doyle is awesome!), however I smashed Chelsea 5-1 at OT and Liverpool 4-1 at Anfield (Tevez got all 4) as well as Spurs 4-1 at White Hart Lane.

Top scorers are Rooney with 29 and Tevez with 27 in all comps.

Signings: Signed a lot of prospects (Alex, Kroos etc) but for first team I signed Huntelaar for 9.5m, Defour for 3.7m and Heitinga for 5m.

Sold: Fletcher to Sevilla for 9m, Pique to Arsenal (had no choice because of Gill) for 10.25m plus some reserves.

Being honest Huntelaar has done very poor, just 4 goals in 12 starts and 18 sub appearances and is still yet to score in the league!

Financially I'm really struggling as well, despite a net transfer spend of only 6m I'm currently 5m in debt.

Liverpool won the League Cup against Bolton in the final but are already on their 3rd manager this season due to their CL exit and a shocking 12th in the league.

The board is only satisfied so a bit of an up and down season really. If I can bring the league title home I'm sure they'll be pleased but after losing to arch rivals Arsenal in both cups and once so far in the league things aren't exactly rosy for me!

Originally posted by dsdookie:

this game is ridiculous!!! ive playd 2 seasons with United, 1st season came 2nd = on points with chelsea 93 & lost of GD they had 61 i had 56!!! bloody gay they had 28games unbeaten, but it GOT EVEN WORSE! 2nd season they got 100 points!!! conceeded 17gls in the season, had a 34 game unbeaten run & during the middle of the season had a 18 game winning streak, thanks 2 them i got sacked for not winning the league ny1 else have a super chelsea team in there FM?

my strikers all seem to go in & out of form 2gther which didn help much, & chelsea seem 2 play there same team for every game epl, ucl, fa cup, league cup & they never get tired...they playd drogab vs me wen he was out with a broken jaw & was recovering had days left & was @ 70% he scored a fkn hat-trick!! does fitness even matter in this game!!!

On my united game its me at the top unbeaten in 15 games saha seems pretty rubbish chelsea have got the record for most clean sheets and games without scoring hammered liverpool 5-1 at anfield

Pandev is injured for 3 months, so I need a replacement. The best option would be a loan for 3-4 months, any suggestions? I still have 9M budget and could raise it to at least 12M.

I looked at Owen, but I think he is oo expensive. Robbie Keane would fit well and is quite cheap (9M). Help?

Will do a report after the 1st season.

Still half way thru ...

Any help for these problems?

My finances are worsening every months...

Evra bidded by Barcelona 15 mil? Good? Have got Marcelo ...

Some players fitness are always severely lacking match fitness

Originally posted by Sheps.:

January Report 07-08

Okay, so I may not be in my 4th season or however far in you crazed players are, but I am most definately enjoying the game as it is. So, a quick update from me, then I'm off.

After one of my worst, if not the worst, starts in any FM game so far, my team started to play proper football and I found myself reclaiming 2nd place with ease. Chelsea were high flying at the top, until Tottenham cut them down with a 1-0 beating of them, leaving me the chance to catch up on points. I had Wigan to play, end result - 3-1 to me, Ronaldo hattrick (his fourth this season already). I'm now level on points with Chelsea, and top because of that magic goal difference.

So, when the window opened, I looked for some improvements to my squad, there were no obvious ones, apart from that I needed to get rid of Aaritalo and Saha (moaner!) because they were truly awful. Still havent loaded them off though, no one wanted them icon_frown.gif The money I saved from the pre season helped, £17M to spend in January in the first season is always nice. Yet I havent spent all of it, just over half in fact.

In:

Miguel Veloso - £9.75M - This guy looks like dynamite in the form of a footballer. Yet another player Man Utd have took from Sportings grasp. Should be a rock in the middle of the park, hopefully he'll provide the muscle whilst Gibson, Carrick or Scholes provide the passes.

No one sold, so meh. When I reach the summer I want to bring in a new striker and goalkeeper, possibly a new RB as well. Then, I think my team will be complete for a few season, until players start to retire.

Can you show us what tactics your using for ronaldo, iv'e got the original tactic, i just want to know what you have tweaked to get the best out of ronaldo. Thanks.

Ive had a great start to the season.

Premiership

Played 8

Won 5

Drawn 3

Lost 0

Scored 16

Against 7

GD +9

CL

Played 2

Won 2