FM24 - Man United 300M loss per season

I had this in my save - we made a minus of way over 300 Million euros last season. Is that normal? The TV money of the EPL after the season absorbed it so we have 120M in the bank balance again, but still. Its mostly wages but sounds a bit excessive for my liking...

Remember that Manchester United are heavily in debt (About 1B) irl so this is reflected in the game. You'll get a message saying they have to start repaying loans. I believe this is where most of your loses have come from. 

4 hours ago, trekman said:

Remember that Manchester United are heavily in debt (About 1B) irl so this is reflected in the game. You'll get a message saying they have to start repaying loans. I believe this is where most of your loses have come from. 

United are in a precious position in real life. Their revenue (and TV money) is still top tier, however they have huge debts a stadium that is falling apart and have spent an extortionate amount of money with very little to show for it. Along with Chelsea, they have a very uncertain future ahead if they can't get into the CL consistently 

Thats definitely sounds like Manchester United.

They are paying crazy interest on their debts, got one of the highest wage budgets in the league and got loads of staff members.

According to the game, Manchester United spends about 10 mil pounds per month on loan payments.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gideetudee said:

This is an issue for me. The debt repayments are huge. I’m in the second season, but by January I’ll have a negative balance. 
Also, winning the CL only gives £17m. Is that a bug? Used to be over £70m

Are you factoring in TV money? The over £70m is not just the prize money. 

On 25/10/2023 at 19:15, trevjim said:

United are in a precious position in real life. Their revenue (and TV money) is still top tier, however they have huge debts a stadium that is falling apart and have spent an extortionate amount of money with very little to show for it. Along with Chelsea, they have a very uncertain future ahead if they can't get into the CL consistently 

The real life figures don't seem to suggest any danger.

The have a revenue of 650 million, with 300 million commercial revenue. Their long term debt is around 650 million. That is not precarious by any means.

This seems like a bug.

6 hours ago, Gideetudee said:

Also, winning the CL only gives £17m. Is that a bug? Used to be over £70m

You mean the competition as a whole? I don't think the final alone has ever been worth 70m. The full prize/TV money for the whole tournament should be worth something like that though.

Edited by rusty217

On 25/10/2023 at 11:57, Carambau said:

I had this in my save - we made a minus of way over 300 Million euros last season. Is that normal? The TV money of the EPL after the season absorbed it so we have 120M in the bank balance again, but still. Its mostly wages but sounds a bit excessive for my liking...

In FM 2023 ManUtd had to repay approx. 140 mil € every year for a couple of seasons. But in 2029 they were debt free.

3 hours ago, Kickballz said:

The real life figures don't seem to suggest any danger.

The have a revenue of 650 million, with 300 million commercial revenue. Their long term debt is around 650 million. That is not precarious by any means.

This seems like a bug.

I agree. To say Manchester United is in a precious position in real life is just wishful thinking. The Glazers who are just in it for the money wouldn't be turning down 4/5 Billion if they were in a precarious position.

The fact that the most recent accounts had the club making a 28 million loss when the OP had a 300 million loss proves something has to be wrong or the OP has done something silly. 

In game the club is paying 11 million pounds a month in debt. I really don't believe that this is right. The average payments to debt the club has made over the years is around 20 million per season, even in the first few years of Glazer ownership it topped around 40million per season. To have that number suddenly jump up to 132million per season is crazy. In fact if you actually look at the dates of the debt, it suggests they all started in 2022 with the majority having a 5 year period to pay it off. This is just not correct what so ever. 

Furthermore one of the bigger issues in the game is that players salaries are not able to be decreased if they do not qualify for the champions league. At Manchester United there is a 20% decrease in players wages if they do not qualify for the champions league, this is one of the many issues that set Ronaldo off in a collision course with the club. This would result in a decrease in annual wages of around 40 million, if not in the champions league.

Edited by Kilmarnock

59 minutes ago, Kilmarnock said:

I agree. To say Manchester United is in a precious position in real life is just wishful thinking. The Glazers who are just in it for the money wouldn't be turning down 4/5 Billion if they were in a precarious position.

The fact that the most recent accounts had the club making a 28 million loss when the OP had a 300 million loss proves something has to be wrong or the OP has done something silly. 

In game the club is paying 11 million pounds a month in debt. I really don't believe that this is right. The average payments to debt the club has made over the years is around 20 million per season, even in the first few years of Glazer ownership it topped around 40million per season. To have that number suddenly jump up to 132million per season is crazy. In fact if you actually look at the dates of the debt, it suggests they all started in 2022 with the majority having a 5 year period to pay it off. This is just not correct what so ever. 

Furthermore one of the bigger issues in the game is that players salaries are not able to be decreased if they do not qualify for the champions league. At Manchester United there is a 20% decrease in players wages if they do not qualify for the champions league, this is one of the many issues that set Ronaldo off in a collision course with the club. This would result in a decrease in annual wages of around 40 million, if not in the champions league.

Oh yes that 20% salary decrease clause. Does the game support that clause? Would love to have it for my team but I say it would be a tough ask to get the players to accept a clause like that. They would just want a much higher base salary 

16 minutes ago, Colonel Tigh said:

Oh yes that 20% salary decrease clause. Does the game support that clause? Would love to have it for my team but I say it would be a tough ask to get the players to accept a clause like that. They would just want a much higher base salary 

No the game only seems to support a relegation clause. I believe the clause has been at United for a few years and I wouldn't be surprised if most top clubs have wage increases or decreases depending on which European competition they qualify for.

Edited by Kilmarnock

4 hours ago, jonnyfresh said:

It’s really the paying back the 600m in 5 years that is the main issue. The club is only paying the interest on the debt. 

another issue is the city wage bill at the start of the game vs their latest accounts show the wage bill is at 8m a week

Yes I agree. It’s crazy that is in the game but it has been highlighted in the bugs forum and apparently the researcher believes that the debt was refinanced in 2022. Despite the fact that didn’t happen and is crazy to think that after nearly 20 years of the debt being in and around 600 million that the Glazers came up with a plan to pay the remaining debt off within 5 years and then decide to try and sell the club a few months after this mysterious agreement. 
It’s pretty obvious to me that the finances are clearly incorrect but they don’t want to change it. 

Edited by Kilmarnock

On 25/10/2023 at 17:57, Carambau said:

United start the season owing 300m in transfer fees to be paid 
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-united-finances-debt-glazers-28038776

19 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I’m sorry but you obviously haven’t read the article. 

In fact the article says Manchester United are losing 400k a week, that over a year is 20 million… not 300 million.

The headline 300 million in that article refers to transfer debt which is obviously over a number of seasons via instalments.

If anything that article actually helps prove that the finances in relation to the clubs loan repayments in game, are incorrect.

Edited by Kilmarnock

On 25/10/2023 at 10:57, Carambau said:

That would include the heavy transfer expenditure on Antony, Casemiro, Martinez etc.

Edited by Lord Rowell
Fixed a typo

18 minutes ago, Carambau said:

loaded most of them off for small money

Someone Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you still have to pay. Your debt to the original selling club does not vanish once you sold the player to another club, nor does the new buying club inherit the original debt you got

52 minutes ago, Curtains-2720 said:

Someone Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you still have to pay. Your debt to the original selling club does not vanish once you sold the player to another club, nor does the new buying club inherit the original debt you got

You are correct. The transfer payments aren't the problem anyway, its the fact the database has the club paying 132million a season back to the bank, despite these loans being interest only.

2 hours ago, Curtains-2720 said:

I never said that...?