Fundamental Football Manager - Making that basic 442

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jaycar...just step back and think about it..why are they not involved? are they crossing to much, are they too far out, its a simple setting to change...and i'll let you go figure it out.

Two wingers (FWR - Often, RWB - Often - TTB mixed, Cross - Often, Byeline, Targetman)

Two Centre midfielders (FWR - Often !!, RWB - Often!!, TTB - Often!!, rest rarely)

Target Man (FWR - Mixed, RWB - rarely, TTB - Often, rest - rarely) Hold up ball away from home.

Striker (Mentality - 20, FWR - Often, RWB - Often, rest - rarely)

What does the rest here meant to say?

Also, up to my fourth game in the league, I haven even win once yet. Using a 4-4-2 formation, with one barrow to DMC, and sometimes one barrow from one of the ST. I have been against Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal and Man City using Wigan. Strangely, I draw with Chelsea and Arsenal while losing the other two.

I watched full match, and it seems like my attackers rarely got a chance to strike. I'm using a wonderkid Guilherme and Marlon King, so I'm wondering what's the best way for both to work together. Guilherme has no speed, but excel is many others, so usually I put a barrow to AMC.

Guilherme - Often, Often, Mixed, Mixed, Rarely. Marlon King - Often, Mixed. Mixed, Rarely, Rarely.

As for mentality, creativity, passing and CDown

CB - 5,1,1,3 (All rarely)

FB - 7/8,1,5,4 (Mixed FWR RWB, Others rarely)

ML/MR - 15,1,5,4 (Often FWR, Others set accordingly to abilities)

barrow MC - 5,6,10,10 (Cross rarely, Others mixed)

MC - 10,7,8,14 (FWR Often, Mixed RWB,LS, Others rarely)

Guilherme - 15,14,6,5 (Depends according to abilities)

MKing - 15,1,6,5 (Depends according to abilities)

I guess there must be something seriously wrong with the settings above, since I am just starting to pay more attention to these areas. Enlighten me!~

Rashidi - having great success with this, thank you - lying joint top in November with Liverpool. However, my strikers are finding it hard to score - Torres is okish, Berbatov isn't and Aguero has only hit 2 in 10. I don't have the forward striker holding up, would this make a diff? They don't seem to play each other in much and often fire shots from the edge of the 18 yard area into opposing defenders.

They are kind of similiar strikers, although Torres and Berbs are bigger - would you advise swap positions? Or Aguero on free role to get away from defenders who all seem to mark very tight?

Thanks, I'm really enjoying learning.

Rash, I was wondering if I could ask your advice. I am currently playing with Ipswich in Season 1 (8.0.2.). My tactic is working fantastically (much thanks to your work on this thread), I'm still unbeaten in all comps at Christmas. I even managed to thump Pompey 4-0 in the League Cup Quarters icon_biggrin.gif

My issue is this: I don't concede a massive amount of goals, but a large proportion of the one that do find the net are from headers. My CB's have very good aerial stats, so thats not the problem. Any suggestions on how to plug up this goal leakage, particularly since we've opened up a decent gap at the top of the table, and will most certainly be promoted, and with the likes of Adebayor lurking in the Prem ready to exploit this weakness, goals conceded from headers are a growing concern.

I am playing with a flat 4-4-2 formation, but with a barrow on one CM to a DM position and one ST to an AM, with low Creative Freedom across the board, apart from the wingers, the barrowed striker and the other CM.

Thanks for any help Rash icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Rohan The Barbarian:

Rash, I was wondering if I could ask your advice. I am currently playing with Ipswich in Season 1 (8.0.2.). My tactic is working fantastically (much thanks to your work on this thread), I'm still unbeaten in all comps at Christmas. I even managed to thump Pompey 4-0 in the League Cup Quarters icon_biggrin.gif

My issue is this: I don't concede a massive amount of goals, but a large proportion of the one that do find the net are from headers. My CB's have very good aerial stats, so thats not the problem. Any suggestions on how to plug up this goal leakage, particularly since we've opened up a decent gap at the top of the table, and will most certainly be promoted, and with the likes of Adebayor lurking in the Prem ready to exploit this weakness, goals conceded from headers are a growing concern.

I am playing with a flat 4-4-2 formation, but with a barrow on one CM to a DM position and one ST to an AM, with low Creative Freedom across the board, apart from the wingers, the barrowed striker and the other CM.

Thanks for any help Rash icon_smile.gif

Sorry to ask - Would you mind sharing your tactic? I play as Palace and struggle to get my 4-4-2 working.

Not that my point will be worth much considering how rubbish I am at tactics, I would say you need to stop the cross coming in as much as poss. Close down wingers more perhaps.

Rgds

I had to open notepad for this

Stripey

<LI>Setting mentality while convenient at global is not ideal,since it affects

positions for the players..slightly. I would to tighten things up set global

for all but the MCdand DCs in your....actually i was going to go on, then i realised

I would be repeating myself...stripey read the thread...its all covered.

What's wrong with your formation

1. Too many forward runs..adjust fullbacks

2. No holding players in your formation...adjust midfield

3. TTB...read the thread

Your instructions have given you an attacking edge, now there is a simple fix...

adjust your fullback instructions..to get a bit more of a tighter formation

For now...just take forward runs off off fullbacks after you go a goal ahead

evilmonster

'

You don't always need to have a defensive mentality to play a defensive counterattackin

tactic. I have a counterattacking tactic where my players are on attacking mentalities.

I set passing in midfield to direct to get the ball up, and I also minimise the use of TTB

to control possession..

I don't use tightmarking as much as you, nor do I see the need for using TM and playmakers,

but everyone has a different style of play. The goal of this thread is to help people make

their own tactics by understanding the process.

Look at changing, mentality, FWR and TTB in midfield for your formation

Tony

You can swap strikers but can they both play to the same instructions?

Rohan

Set up your defensive sets and offensive setpieces properly. You may have got them right..

the most impt area to remember is that for corners..you need jumpers! and notnecessarily the best

headers, you also need players with good anticipation to defend the posts, pull only

good markers for setpieces. You don't need to have everyone defend. Personally I leave 4..yes up

to 4 upfront..depending on the opposition,

You have that very important first goal against a team who are comfortable favorites to hammer you. You know they are going to ring in the changes, like a 424

What do you do to achieve a result like this?

62349851kw2.jpg

More than just the changes..what do you need to have in your formation that will let you cope? I'm not guaranteeing you a formation that will go hammer everyone. I'm in a relegation battle in my first season with Gloucester, a side that has nothing to offer, except for maybe one midfielder with 17 in finishing, and defenders who have pace ranging from 9-12.

This thread has covered these points, and lately I've been seeing people complain about their difficulties with defending from 424 formations. I on the other hand find it easier to score more goals. C'mon boys let me see who has the best answer.

When AI changes to 424, I can normally score 2 goals. I never understood why people complained and say they loose goals because of such a change. I've actually managed to replicate the AI's 424 and you can see how vulnerable it is.

If people don't understand how to beat such formations, you should create them best you can yourself and see what problems you encounter and the AI is normally the same.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Rash icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by rashidi1:

Rohan

Set up your defensive sets and offensive setpieces properly. You may have got them right..

the most impt area to remember is that for corners..you need jumpers! and notnecessarily the best

headers, you also need players with good anticipation to defend the posts, pull only

good markers for setpieces. You don't need to have everyone defend. Personally I leave 4..yes up

to 4 upfront..depending on the opposition,

Thanks a bunch Rash icon_smile.gif

However, any tips on how to reduce the amount of goals conceded from headers in open play? As I've said my players have good aerial stats, and I use tight marking to help nullify the aerial threat, yet in my last 10 games I've conceded 7 goals, all from open-play headers. Any suggestions? Thanks.

- The attack

Plenty of debate here I'm sure. Personally I prefer the solo striker with low CF and a deeper striker(farrowed or barrowed) with more CF, FWR often. So that he can be the go to guy when goals are needed.

how about slow target man partner with fast striker. who play deep? but i think mostly we gave target man play deep..but we cant give high creative freedom and foward run to him rite?

This thread has covered these points, and lately I've been seeing people complain about their difficulties with defending from 424 formations. I on the other hand find it easier to score more goals. C'mon boys let me see who has the best answer.

Christ, what a result...

Ok, I'll have a stab....the AI is weak in the midfield when it uses the 424 and the fullbacks are usually stupidly attacking, did you use a 433 in those moments, to exploit the FB areas? Close or were you looking for more than that?

Originally posted by jaycar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

Christ, what a result...

Ok, I'll have a stab....the AI is weak in the midfield when it uses the 424 and the fullbacks are usually stupidly attacking, did you use a 433 in those moments, to exploit the FB areas? Close or were you looking for more than that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Started warm and finished ice-cold

Rohan its tough to stop them in open play if they have better stats..to give you an idea..last season my Gloucester City side conceded 80 goals in the premiership, the worst record by far. But we also scored in excess of 70 goals, to become one of the best attacking sides.

You can try things like setting good jumpers, or players with good anticipation near or around those aerial threats, but at the cost of losing your shape. If I'm faced with a choice like that I go Keegan-esque.

Originally posted by Stripey:

Two wingers (FWR - Often, RWB - Often - TTB mixed, Cross - Often, Byeline, Targetman)

Two Centre midfielders (FWR - Often !!, RWB - Often!!, TTB - Often!!, rest rarely)

Target Man (FWR - Mixed, RWB - rarely, TTB - Often, rest - rarely) Hold up ball away from home.

Striker (Mentality - 20, FWR - Often, RWB - Often, rest - rarely)

What does the rest here meant to say?

Originally posted by KvChaos:

Also, up to my fourth game in the league, I haven even win once yet. Using a 4-4-2 formation, with one barrow to DMC, and sometimes one barrow from one of the ST. I have been against Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal and Man City using Wigan. Strangely, I draw with Chelsea and Arsenal while losing the other two.

I watched full match, and it seems like my attackers rarely got a chance to strike. I'm using a wonderkid Guilherme and Marlon King, so I'm wondering what's the best way for both to work together. Guilherme has no speed, but excel is many others, so usually I put a barrow to AMC.

Guilherme - Often, Often, Mixed, Mixed, Rarely. Marlon King - Often, Mixed. Mixed, Rarely, Rarely.

As for mentality, creativity, passing and CDown

CB - 5,1,1,3 (All rarely)

FB - 7/8,1,5,4 (Mixed FWR RWB, Others rarely)

ML/MR - 15,1,5,4 (Often FWR, Others set accordingly to abilities)

barrow MC - 5,6,10,10 (Cross rarely, Others mixed)

MC - 10,7,8,14 (FWR Often, Mixed RWB,LS, Others rarely)

Guilherme - 15,14,6,5 (Depends according to abilities)

MKing - 15,1,6,5 (Depends according to abilities)

I guess there must be something seriously wrong with the settings above, since I am just starting to pay more attention to these areas. Enlighten me!~

Any ideas yet? Or maybe some enlightenment on the flaws that could have existed in here.

Ok...If the narrow 2 man midfield is possibly the key, I'm thinking that a narrow diamond may be the way to go, or a 4321, you close down the 2 x cm's so you need at least 2 in that area, and then the AMC/s running to support the ST/s could cause chaos.

Any nearer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

Ok...If the narrow 2 man midfield is possibly the key, I'm thinking that a narrow diamond may be the way to go, or a 4321, you close down the 2 x cm's so you need at least 2 in that area, and then the AMC/s running to support the ST/s could cause chaos.

Any nearer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you don't need to change formations, actually but your answer is half right. Use OI to tightmark the four wingforwards and close down the 2 MCs, easy kampizi

The new settings are doing the trick alright. I'm controlling games. The last two away games looked like home games when playing like this! I'm creating loads of fair chances, though my strikers and wingers are not converting enough. That's why I drew those two games (1-1, 2-2). I did find however that I'm still poor at protecting my lead. Both games I lead by one and two goals respectively, but failed to keep them out. Two out of those three conceded goals were from set pieces while the other one came from a through ball to an unmarked striker.

What are your thoughts on protecting leads? Do you alter D-line, mentality and/or CD much? I usually take away farrows from my FB's and reduce forward runs on one or two mids and possibly my FB's as well. I also lowered tempo a few notches.

This thread is excellent! Great work Rashidi, I'm experimenting with tactics a lot more at the minute

One question I have, what should I do against a 5 man midfield? Its a flat 5 man, with 2 strikers

What OI should I use, or is it just dependant on who plays

I was thinking of having two defensive players in MC or should I stick with one defensive and one balanced?

You have that very important first goal against a team who are comfortable favorites to hammer you. You know they are going to ring in the changes, like a 424

What do you do to achieve a result like this?

62349851kw2.jpg

More than just the changes..what do you need to have in your formation that will let you cope? I'm not guaranteeing you a formation that will go hammer everyone. I'm in a relegation battle in my first season with Gloucester, a side that has nothing to offer, except for maybe one midfielder with 17 in finishing, and defenders who have pace ranging from 9-12.

I'll have a stab at that as well....

The AI has gone 4-2-4, and are looking to play direct

Did you just man mark all 4 attackers, and close up/man mark the CM's so you effectively choked them?

Kinda like Catenaccio?

whenever the AI switches to a 424, it gives up its midfield in favour of an all out attack, to be effective it needs outlets. These tend to be the fullbacks and the 2 MCs. What you need to do is to close down the 2 MCs and the 2 fullbacks. Tight marking the 4 upfront and taking off forward runs from your own fullbacks help.

Its hard to do OI for a 5 man midfield, in cases like this I'd probably look at the one who's doing the most number of passes, and tightmark him so it doesn't become an easy outlet

whenever the AI switches to a 424, it gives up its midfield in favour of an all out attack, to be effective it needs outlets. These tend to be the fullbacks and the 2 MCs. What you need to do is to close down the 2 MCs and the 2 fullbacks. Tight marking the 4 upfront and taking off forward runs from your own fullbacks help.

Its hard to do OI for a 5 man midfield, in cases like this I'd probably look at the one who's doing the most number of passes, and tightmark him so it doesn't become an easy outlet

So you would advocate tight marking the deep playmaker, or closing him down a lot?

Just my tuppence worth, the only problem could be the timing of the change to 424, and the old "tactical changes pending" issue. AI very often goes 424 so late, that there may only be a couple of game time minutes on the clock and the changes, even when you pause the game to make them, don't come into effect until after the AI has achieved is goal of breaking your heart/killing your career! icon_wink.gif

If they change early, you probably have time to adjust. Something else to consider here that has been noticed by many. Man-marking settings, if used, may well be shifted around as the opposition change formation! CB's may suddenly be on CMs, FB's on CF's, CM's on CB's. I have had the situation where my FB's have been man-marking two wingers all game, but when the AI went 424 (same wingers, same sides) the FB's decided it was then time to man-mark the CM's, leaving the FR/FL completely open. So my advice at this stage of the game would be to stay clear of man-marking, unless that is you enjoy going grey, then tearing your hair out. icon_biggrin.gif

KV i don't understand what you are putting up try using [/code] tags like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Position Mentality Passing CD FWR TTB Cross

</pre>

I think you seem to get it.

For e.g. CB - 5,1,1,3 refers to

Centre Back with 5 mentality, 1 creativity, 1 passing style and 3 closing down.

One thing I try not to do in any of my formations is to practice specific man marking, for reasons of AI swapping. AI tends to swap its MCs in midfield a lot especially when it plays its default 442 formation, the one with the farowed wingers and the barrowed MC. When the AI goes 424, I tend to flick straight to OI and tick tightmarking on both the MCs.

A lot of what you do with 442 depends on the formation you choose to start the game with, as long as you have 2 MCs in midfield you should be fine. And one should have no excuses losing to a 424...an AI one at least icon_wink.gif

One thing I try not to do in any of my formations is to practice specific man marking, for reasons of AI swapping. AI tends to swap its MCs in midfield a lot especially when it plays its default 442 formation, the one with the farowed wingers and the barrowed MC. When the AI goes 424, I tend to flick straight to OI and tick tightmarking on both the MCs.

A lot of what you do with 442 depends on the formation you choose to start the game with, as long as you have 2 MCs in midfield you should be fine. And one should have no excuses losing to a 424...an AI one at least icon_wink.gif

Couldn't agree more. I have long since stopped man-marking for the swapping reason, what I was trying to point out is if people do, be prepared for your players NOT to be marking the ones specified. Maybe I wasn't making myself clear, in the example above the ML and MR moved to FL and FR, no change in position on pitch/zones they'd be going into. The FBs had been assigned to those individuals, however when the AI goes 424, the marking is altered! A bug no doubt, but one people need to watch for if they employ man-marking.

Sorry, is that close down AND tight mark the CM's?

KVChaos I gave you that template so you can fill it up

Position, Mentality, Passing, Closing, FWR, RWB, LongShots, TTB, Cross

GK 1,1,1,1,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely

DR 8,3,5,5,Often,Mixed,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely

DL 8,3,5,5,Often,Mixed,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely

DC 5,3,1,3,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely

DC 5,3,1,3,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely

MR 12,5,8,7,Often,Mixed,Rarely,Mixed,Mixed

ML 12,5,8,7,Often,Often,Mixed,Mixed,Rarely

MC 11,8,7,11,Often,Mixed,Often,Rarely,Rarely

MC 5,5,7,5,Mixed,Rarely,Mixed,Rarely,Rarely

FC 13,13,8,10,Mixed,Often,Often,Mixed,Rarely (barrow)

FC 15,1,1,8,Often,Mixed,Rarely,Rarely,Rarely

I tend to change my MR/ML & FCs (FWR, RWB, LongShots, TTB, Cross) depending on their abilities though.

Just a quick question on OI Rasihi1. Before the game starts do you set close down always on the opposition fullbacks. I noticed that they are always free to knock in crosses from just above the halfway line.

Also how do you deal with the oppisition wingers. The are always positioned on the halfway line and my fullback are a good bit away from them, meaning the have a lot of space to run into causing problems.

Thanks

Patrick

If position = 1 Mentality = 1 Passing = 1 Closing = 1 What's the next 1 for? Why don't you use the code tags its easier to set up a table..just insert

at the start and at the end just put /before the word [code]

The closing down of your formation looks awfully low..no matter how defensive you get you shouldn't be looking at getting below 5 for your defenders...and that's the lowest i'd go. I have seldom played with defensive formations.

The mentality across the team looks ok to me..assuming you're not using farrows. Furthermore, you're playing with very low closing down instructions...any defensive line thats remotely normal is going to give you problems, you're making it worse with the fullbacks making forward runs.

Perhaps you should tell everyone what your goal is with the formation, what kind of football are you looking to play? Your ttb has been set up for keeping the ball, but i think you need to look at your formation.

Sorry, is that close down AND tight mark the CM's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only close down. I hardly ever tight mark the MCs

Do you set your OI before the match or just when you see the opposition change during a match?

Hi Rashidi, great thread

Sorry if this has been answered before, but do you ever change your mentality when playing sides that are better than you or you are much better than?

If the answer to that is no, then where do you leave the team mentality slider considering I heard that team mentality affects how your team sets up even if you are using individual instructions.

Thanks for the help and KUTGW

Useful thread Rash icon_smile.gif

One thing I've noticed when the AI go defensive (442 no farrows on wingers and a barrow on one MC) is that the two AI MCs (sounds like a speed garage band....ahem) just keep passing it between each other and eating up my precious time. To try to stop this I went into the OI and selected tackle hard and close down always and saw some improvement by my own MCs closing them down but essentially the problem remains. Have you noticed this? And whether you have or haven't noticed it, what can I do to stop it!?

Cheers.

great thread.. I'm not getting much luck with Ronaldo attacking the defence, I have him on:

RWB = often

FRW = often

CB = none

CF = 12

and i've even tried giving him an arrow up to the oppositions CB's but still he stands out on the wings not doing much at all. Any help would be great.

Originally posted by Burst:

great thread.. I'm not getting much luck with Ronaldo attacking the defence, I have him on:

RWB = often

FRW = often

CB = none

CF = 12

and i've even tried giving him an arrow up to the oppositions CB's but still he stands out on the wings not doing much at all. Any help would be great.

Never played with Ronaldo myself, but maybe you could give him more Creative Freedom and change his Crossing from to mixed, then he maybe will do some runs with the ball at the CB's.

Maybe Free Role even?

Originally posted by Yahaii:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Burst:

RWB = often

FRW = often

CB = none

CF = 12

Never played with Ronaldo myself, but maybe you could give him more Creative Freedom and change his Crossing from to mixed, then he maybe will do some runs with the ball at the CB's.

Maybe Free Role even? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx i'll give that ago

If position = 1 Mentality = 1 Passing = 1 Closing = 1 What's the next 1 for? Why don't you use the code tags its easier to set up a table..just insert

at the start and at the end just put /before the word [code]

The closing down of your formation looks awfully low..no matter how defensive you get you shouldn't be looking at getting below 5 for your defenders...and that's the lowest i'd go. I have seldom played with defensive formations.

The mentality across the team looks ok to me..assuming you're not using farrows. Furthermore, you're playing with very low closing down instructions...any defensive line thats remotely normal is going to give you problems, you're making it worse with the fullbacks making forward runs.

Perhaps you should tell everyone what your goal is with the formation, what kind of football are you looking to play? Your ttb has been set up for keeping the ball, but i think you need to look at your formation.

My bad~

It should be Position, Mentality, Creativity, Passing, Closing Down, etc..

-----

It's right to be messy and unprofessional, provided that this is kinda a first venturing so deep inside FM tactical settings.

I'm using a standard 4-4-2.. and looking at my players, I am also not really sure how I should work it out. Most of them are kinda poor in passing, around 12-14. Or is that considered as good enough?

My thoughts are to be possessive, though after a few matches I seem to get closed down pretty often when moving towards the opposing area, and the players just keep passing until they lost their possession. lol

Archived