View From The Touchline Presents - Tactical Recreations

On 03/04/2023 at 08:44, Cleon said:

This post has been written by @CarrileroFM where he shares with us a non-league team tactical recreation and has provided the tactic for download so you can use it in your save

New Milton Town sits within the tenth tier of the English football pyramid in the Wessex League Division One. Currently, they occupy second place in the league with four games remaining and despite many teams having games in hand a playoff place is practically confirmed although there is a slight chance of going up as champions if Andover New Street slip up.

They are the league’s top scorers with 106 goals having broken the 100-goal barrier on the 11th of March with a 5–0 win over Folland Sports and are at the time of writing on a 6-match winning streak. Manager Paul Turner has earned many plaudits over the past two seasons in the local press for his alternative style in non-league football.

When someone says ‘non-league’ the instant thought seems to be that the ball is up in the air more often than not and tackles are flying in left, right and centre. This is not the case at New Milton Town Football Club.

Reveal hidden contents

1-scaled.jpg

Turner likes his team to keep the ball on the deck where possible and encourages his players to express themselves on the pitch.

It is no coincidence that four of their regular attackers in Luke Stone, Ben Cooper, George Deem and Tyrrell Sampson all have 20+ league goals each this season. The clinical finishing, flair off the wings and tireless running from their central midfielders make for very strong performances going forward.

The tactical setup below is a good representation of how they’re set up. Turner uses a 4–3–3 system with three central midfielders all equipped with a different role.

In possession, they get their heads up and look for the short pass with the aim of moving the ball up the field quickly to the wingers, more often than not they will attack mostly down the left-hand side of the field. Out of possession they quickly get back into their shape and attempt to force the opposition out wide.

The roles can be changed here depending on who you have available. New Milton’s options up top consist of Luke Stone (Target Forward) and George Deem (Poacher) both of whom have different strengths. The tactic itself should be strong at all non-league levels.

Whether New Milton Town does finally celebrate promotion remains to be seen but with Paul Turner’s style and values, it will only be a matter of time before the Linnets are moving up the leagues.

It is a brilliantly run football club that is a pillar of the community, offering a style of football you will not see at many grounds below the football league and I hope this tactical recreation shows that.

Tactic download LINK

Wow - never thought I'd see a team like New Milton 'tactically profiled'! I played against New Milton this year! https://www.islandecho.co.uk/port-stumble-on-path-to-promotion-isle-of-wight-wessex-league-round-up/  

Highlighted one thing that's very accurate to probably 95-98% of teams that aren't training professionally - really struggling when players that perform certain roles in a team are missing. I'd say roles can be performed on who's available, not necessarily changed. I think more accurately in FM it would replicate base roles (CM-S) are defined more from PPMs, and stand out attributes - and then potentially adjusting to tactically suit a striker that 'beats offside', or a midfielder that has 'dicates tempo'. 

Obviously that's true at top level, but the lower you go the more obvious that becomes I think. Playing against New Milton, and loads of sides at this level of non-league, players with talent to play higher really do stand out in 'moments', and turn games - look at Brett Pittman playing at Porchester in league above! I watched him play this season, and it's obvious he's quicker in everything he does, smarter and technically better than any defender he'll face this season and probably next (physically if he was in shape, he could have been playing with a full-time deal at National League if he wanted). 

The biggest factor I'd like to say is fitness - especially on a team level. Fitness is far, far more powerful in a team collective than having any manager wanting to play a specific 'style' or to certain 'values'. The value side of matters will be sorted out by lads in the dressing room, and 'style' is more basic don't-dos known on an individual basis, and reinforced through a collective - and any team style comes from just knowing your team mates, sounds cliche but winning battles against players and honestly just playing with confidence.    

Edited by BrunoG39

On 03/04/2023 at 09:46, Cleon said:

I suggest creating a press plan of some form with the “mark-specific player’ player instructions. At the very least get the 3 right-sided players (CBR/DMR/RW) set up to cover the left flank so you aren’t left alone. The last thing you want is Akanji marking a striker and both Stones and Foden pressing the LB leaving an LW totally free.

Hide contents

I dont get this part. How would you se up a press plan where your right sided players cover the left flank?

1 hour ago, Mutumba said:

I dont get this part. How would you se up a press plan where your right sided players cover the left flank?

Your right sided players mark the oppositions left flank. It's not your own flank :D

32 minutes ago, latrell said:

i would like to see xavi'snew Barcelona system everyone is talking about the magic box is there any plans for this.

Not as such yet. It's not really different from this;

4 hours ago, Fox-7- said:

Wonderful thread mate, I love it!

There's any chance to read something about Fernando Diniz's Fluminense?

I’ve been writing a piece on him for 2 weeks now. Currently at 7k words about his style, tactics and systems and his general approach. Still nowhere near finished yet.