Recreating Sarri's Napoli Side - Help

I've wanted to create a Sarriball tactic for at least four years now. However, no matter what, a lot of my goals come from players kicking the ball long, and not short passing, combination plays that move the ball up the pitch. Has anyone had success creating a good Sarri tactic?

19 hours ago, GCVS00 said:

I've wanted to create a Sarriball tactic for at least four years now. However, no matter what, a lot of my goals come from players kicking the ball long, and not short passing, combination plays that move the ball up the pitch. Has anyone had success creating a good Sarri tactic?

Post a SS of your tactic mate, only way we can help

image.thumb.png.09f924dbff75091f779e20f7542c64db.png

PIs:

Both CBs have stay wider on them, was debating about putting take more risks for passing to emulate Albiol and Koulibaly's line splitting passes but wasn't sure

RB: Tackle harder and run wide with ball, as Hysaj was the more defensive of the two, but he also got forward in attack, so maybe get further forward as well?

DM: Tackle harder, wasn't sure about the other ones to put

CM-S: Tackle harder, again wasn't sure

LW: Sit Narrower and aim crosses at far post. Allows for an overload of the left channel and space for the WB-A to overlap. Cross far post is what Insigne would do for Callejon.

RW: Wasn't sure about the role here tbh, because Callejon was good at keeping width but also would be great with his off ball movement. I was stuck between a Raumdeuter and a Winger on attack

ST: I think for this role, if you have a more physical striker (like Hiquain), DLF-A is good, but if you have a less physical striker (like Mertens) then a F9 is good

As for team instructions, I generally think they do a good job at capturing how Sarri had them play. One question I have is about the mentality. I want to cut down on the amount of long balls my player's do, as I want this tactic to be about retaining the ball and passing it quickly, on the ground, and vertically. I think Balanced coupled with high tempo works well bc it means they won't try to force it long but also move the ball with urgency. Would love to know if anyone has any thoughts! 

It very much depends on the type of players that you have and their ability to execute the tactic. I feel like longballs might come from the fact you've maxed out tempo, and the players can't handle such quick time to make decisions without inevitably hoofing it. I'd maybe shift it down a notch.

As for the CB line splitting passes, I find that the right player does a great job as a BPD

2 hours ago, The3points said:

It very much depends on the type of players that you have and their ability to execute the tactic. I feel like longballs might come from the fact you've maxed out tempo, and the players can't handle such quick time to make decisions without inevitably hoofing it. I'd maybe shift it down a notch.

As for the CB line splitting passes, I find that the right player does a great job as a BPD

I'll test this out, thank you! Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like in FM23 a lot of my goals come from long balls over the top, even if my passing length is set to much shorter. I'm still performing well, it just isn't the kind of football I want to be playing.

Having counter attacking on might be another reason for those long balls. I play a very similar tactic. The difference is I play very narrow and use more playmakers both in CM and DM strata with focus through the center. 

On 31/03/2023 at 19:25, GCVS00 said:

I agree with the long balls. 

I have my instructions set to short passing and work ball into box at a standard tempo, what I tend to see is my midfield will pass the ball between them and eventually the ST makes a run in behind and one of my midfielders plays a ball over the top for him to run on to. 

I've chosen to embrace it with an AF so the runs are made more frequently as it's very effective. 

Il 2/4/2023 in 00:12 , GCVS00 ha scritto:

image.thumb.png.09f924dbff75091f779e20f7542c64db.png

PIs:

Both CBs have stay wider on them, was debating about putting take more risks for passing to emulate Albiol and Koulibaly's line splitting passes but wasn't sure

RB: Tackle harder and run wide with ball, as Hysaj was the more defensive of the two, but he also got forward in attack, so maybe get further forward as well?

DM: Tackle harder, wasn't sure about the other ones to put

CM-S: Tackle harder, again wasn't sure

LW: Sit Narrower and aim crosses at far post. Allows for an overload of the left channel and space for the WB-A to overlap. Cross far post is what Insigne would do for Callejon.

RW: Wasn't sure about the role here tbh, because Callejon was good at keeping width but also would be great with his off ball movement. I was stuck between a Raumdeuter and a Winger on attack

ST: I think for this role, if you have a more physical striker (like Hiquain), DLF-A is good, but if you have a less physical striker (like Mertens) then a F9 is good

As for team instructions, I generally think they do a good job at capturing how Sarri had them play. One question I have is about the mentality. I want to cut down on the amount of long balls my player's do, as I want this tactic to be about retaining the ball and passing it quickly, on the ground, and vertically. I think Balanced coupled with high tempo works well bc it means they won't try to force it long but also move the ball with urgency. Would love to know if anyone has any thoughts! 

Sorry, which is your skin? i see a lot of information the tactic panel..

8 hours ago, CJ_Randell said:

I agree with the long balls. 

I have my instructions set to short passing and work ball into box at a standard tempo, what I tend to see is my midfield will pass the ball between them and eventually the ST makes a run in behind and one of my midfielders plays a ball over the top for him to run on to. 

I've chosen to embrace it with an AF so the runs are made more frequently as it's very effective. 

I've done that with a lot of my saves too, but I really want to focus on creating a tactical emulation of Sarri's Napoli side. So the long balls can be pretty frustrating lol

This is a few years old now and the tactics creator has changed, but for me the principles remain:

I had a lot of success with this back then and always try and recreate it to some extent every time a new FM comes out! 

My thoughts on this system in FM23:

1. Like all recreations, you have to make compromises as you’ll never get it perform exactly the same in all phases of play. 
2. Most important role to get right, and the most difficult would be the Mertens role. You would think a False 9 should do the trick but really it’s quite an underwhelming role in FM. Of course, you could opt for the easier option of attempting the Higuain role which could be a CF(A) or DLF(A). However, given your previous post about long balls, probably using a support duty striker who drops deep and link play would result in less long balls over the top? If using a support duty striker I would give Hamsik an Attack duty - he is the 3rd all time top scorer for Napoli after all (he actually broke Maradona’s record under Sarri to become the all time top scorer before Insigne and Mertens over took him) 
3. A key facet of Sarri’s Napoli side was to overload the left flank with Insigne, Hamsik and Ghoulam constantly rotating position and Mertens often drifting over as well to combine. Having said that, I would avoid the use of focus play to create this in FM, as I feel it’s far better to try and create this kind of movement naturally by using roles and duties.

Looking at your tactic, I don’t think you’re far off. Insigne could be an IF-S instead as he chipped in with a fair amount of goals, more than I would see an IW providing. I don’t agree with Sit Narrower for him though, he often received the ball out wide before combining with Hamsik or Mertens in the half space and allowing Ghoulam to overlap. If he starts wider, he opens up natural space for Hamsik to drive forward. 

Lastly, the Jorginho role. This has to be a playmaker role. He may not be the guy who gets the assist or a tonne of key passes, but he was the conductor of this team. Sarri’s coach on the pitch. I would use a DLP on either Support of Defend. 

I hope you can crack it because it has the potential to play some of the best football in the match engine! 

3 hours ago, Fantasista10 said:

This is a few years old now and the tactics creator has changed, but for me the principles remain:

I had a lot of success with this back then and always try and recreate it to some extent every time a new FM comes out! 

My thoughts on this system in FM23:

1. Like all recreations, you have to make compromises as you’ll never get it perform exactly the same in all phases of play. 
2. Most important role to get right, and the most difficult would be the Mertens role. You would think a False 9 should do the trick but really it’s quite an underwhelming role in FM. Of course, you could opt for the easier option of attempting the Higuain role which could be a CF(A) or DLF(A). However, given your previous post about long balls, probably using a support duty striker who drops deep and link play would result in less long balls over the top? If using a support duty striker I would give Hamsik an Attack duty - he is the 3rd all time top scorer for Napoli after all (he actually broke Maradona’s record under Sarri to become the all time top scorer before Insigne and Mertens over took him) 
3. A key facet of Sarri’s Napoli side was to overload the left flank with Insigne, Hamsik and Ghoulam constantly rotating position and Mertens often drifting over as well to combine. Having said that, I would avoid the use of focus play to create this in FM, as I feel it’s far better to try and create this kind of movement naturally by using roles and duties.

Looking at your tactic, I don’t think you’re far off. Insigne could be an IF-S instead as he chipped in with a fair amount of goals, more than I would see an IW providing. I don’t agree with Sit Narrower for him though, he often received the ball out wide before combining with Hamsik or Mertens in the half space and allowing Ghoulam to overlap. If he starts wider, he opens up natural space for Hamsik to drive forward. 

Lastly, the Jorginho role. This has to be a playmaker role. He may not be the guy who gets the assist or a tonne of key passes, but he was the conductor of this team. Sarri’s coach on the pitch. I would use a DLP on either Support of Defend. 

I hope you can crack it because it has the potential to play some of the best football in the match engine! 

Okay I think we're getting somewhere. I made some tactical tweaks, now it looks like this:

image.thumb.png.78b7fafbe1ca2d83363c6c295336163a.png

I added take more risks and pass it shorter to both CBs, in addition to stay wider.

RB: Stay Wider, Tackle Harder, Run Wide with ball

DLP: Pass it shorter, tackle harder

CM-S: Tackle harder, pass it shorter

Mez-a: Pass it shorter

IF-S: Aim Cross Far Post, Stay Wider

RMD- Tackle harder, mark tighter

I've played a couple of games with this version of the tactic and wow. We've been able to keep the ball really well (although that may be because my team is better than other teams in Italy) and I've really liked our shape and the goals have looked good.

image.thumb.png.0bf7114cc6bdbc1b4ea2e49b5dddd34c.png

Pass Map looked great, we kept I think 67% possession with 3.2 xG and 0.01 xGa against 5th place Lazio on the road!

I am not sure how to upload videos here, but one of our goals was incredible. The LB, LCM, LW, and ST all connect to overload the left wing and channel, which then opened my left back up to cross the ball into the RW, who made a great move off-ball to head it in at the back post!

image.thumb.png.4d8128c3a3ede576504629fa0041e950.pngimage.thumb.png.231abdb8086a5d3d4b9aaf919718a4e9.png

Oh yeah, it's all coming together now. This tactic (while not perfect), has all of the hallmarks of Sarri's Napoli side. Quick, vertical passing while also emphasizing keeping possession. Completely dominant against worst teams, team has less of the ball against better teams while still pulling off these quick triangles of passing.

2 hours ago, GCVS00 said:

image.thumb.png.4d8128c3a3ede576504629fa0041e950.pngimage.thumb.png.231abdb8086a5d3d4b9aaf919718a4e9.png

Oh yeah, it's all coming together now. This tactic (while not perfect), has all of the hallmarks of Sarri's Napoli side. Quick, vertical passing while also emphasizing keeping possession. Completely dominant against worst teams, team has less of the ball against better teams while still pulling off these quick triangles of passing.

19 hours ago, GCVS00 said:

Okay I think we're getting somewhere. I made some tactical tweaks, now it looks like this:

image.thumb.png.78b7fafbe1ca2d83363c6c295336163a.png

I added take more risks and pass it shorter to both CBs, in addition to stay wider.

RB: Stay Wider, Tackle Harder, Run Wide with ball

DLP: Pass it shorter, tackle harder

CM-S: Tackle harder, pass it shorter

Mez-a: Pass it shorter

IF-S: Aim Cross Far Post, Stay Wider

RMD- Tackle harder, mark tighter

I've played a couple of games with this version of the tactic and wow. We've been able to keep the ball really well (although that may be because my team is better than other teams in Italy) and I've really liked our shape and the goals have looked good.

image.thumb.png.0bf7114cc6bdbc1b4ea2e49b5dddd34c.png

Pass Map looked great, we kept I think 67% possession with 3.2 xG and 0.01 xGa against 5th place Lazio on the road!

I am not sure how to upload videos here, but one of our goals was incredible. The LB, LCM, LW, and ST all connect to overload the left wing and channel, which then opened my left back up to cross the ball into the RW, who made a great move off-ball to head it in at the back post!

Some lovely pass maps! The makings of a very dominant tactic which I’m sure produces some great football. 

Glad this is working for you now, seems like finding the right roles and duties is always the key, and trying to minimise the Team Instructions.

How does the Ramdeuter perform? That’s a role I’ve always struggled with in FM. 

4 minutes ago, Fantasista10 said:

Some lovely pass maps! The makings of a very dominant tactic which I’m sure produces some great football. 

Glad this is working for you now, seems like finding the right roles and duties is always the key, and trying to minimise the Team Instructions.

How does the Ramdeuter perform? That’s a role I’ve always struggled with in FM. 

The Raumdeuter is easily my most productive player. These are his attributes:

image.thumb.png.b68833bd88f974e0f5bfdc5d2d18b758.png

Because of his height and movement off ball, he scores loads of goals losing his man off-ball and heading it in back post. On the ball, I think because of his traits, he actually maintains width pretty well. I love how this role plays in this tactic, especially because of the left-sided dominance giving the Raumdeuter more space to move in and out of. Also, weirdly enough, even though Raumdeuter have cross less ticked, he actually squares the ball in the box really often. In most games he drops anywhere from a 7.8-9.5 form with at least a goal or assist.

Been trying this with various sides and its got a lot of potential! 

Here are some things I think should be adjusted:

- You do tend to be vulnerable to counter attacks and the opps generally get a fairly high Xg against you. Ive been thinkering a bit with a DLP-D and found some stability in that. Perhaos even just go with a WB-S on the left?

-CF isnt really scoring enough. Not sure what to do about this. Been trying PF-S and F9, but to no avail

-RMD is a nice little touch that makes this tactic stand out from the 100s of 433s but...I do feel that role is more of a burden than anything else. Players just dont tend to respond too well playing there IMO (been trying it with Bernardo Silva and Thomas Müller but isnt getting the best out of them)

Getting loads of possession (high 60s), a lot of correct passings and generally beautiful high tempo attacking play. 

5 hours ago, Mutumba said:

Been trying this with various sides and its got a lot of potential! 

Here are some things I think should be adjusted:

- You do tend to be vulnerable to counter attacks and the opps generally get a fairly high Xg against you. Ive been thinkering a bit with a DLP-D and found some stability in that. Perhaos even just go with a WB-S on the left?

-CF isnt really scoring enough. Not sure what to do about this. Been trying PF-S and F9, but to no avail

-RMD is a nice little touch that makes this tactic stand out from the 100s of 433s but...I do feel that role is more of a burden than anything else. Players just dont tend to respond too well playing there IMO (been trying it with Bernardo Silva and Thomas Müller but isnt getting the best out of them)

Getting loads of possession (high 60s), a lot of correct passings and generally beautiful high tempo attacking play. 

I think these are all valid points. I think either changing the wb-a to wb-s or dlp-s to dlp-d could fix the issue with counter attacks, although I’ve found if you have hard-working attackers the press stifles opponent attacks. As for the striker, I’ve also noticed this issue. I wonder if DLF-A would work better. And for the raumdeuter, I’ve found if you put an IF-A type player, it really works. They make good movements and score loads

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.46a03611e4689e6acbf4fc73c9990a30.pngIf anyone was still wondering about the tactic, it is incredible. This might be the most dominant game I've ever played in FM. Not often that you can say that you under-performed your xG while scoring 6. Also, 80% possession!!

12 ore fa, GCVS00 ha scritto:

image.thumb.png.46a03611e4689e6acbf4fc73c9990a30.pngIf anyone was still wondering about the tactic, it is incredible. This might be the most dominant game I've ever played in FM. Not often that you can say that you under-performed your xG while scoring 6. Also, 80% possession!!

same setup of your reply 4th april? great great work btw

To be quite honest looking at your team I think with any half decent tactic they should blow other teams out the water. So not sure how this tactic will translate in a more realistic scenario? Has anybody else tested it?

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this thread, but I recently found myself wanting to test this tactic with a team that didn't have a god squad, as @Bird_SA pointed out. I decided on using Napoli but wasn't happy with the results I was getting, as the tactic just could not create chances. I decided on changing up the tactic to something I thought would still emphasize quick passing play, while also creating chances. This is what I settled on:

image.thumb.png.9025661ea67c21168633769aa9308745.png

These are the Player Instructions:

GK: SK-S/A w/ pass shorter

LB: WB-A

CBs: CD w/ stay wider, pass shorter, take more risks, and close down less

RB: FB-S w/ stay wider and run wide with ball

DM: DLP-S w/ Tackle Harder and Pass shorter

RCM: CM-S, w/ tackle harder and pass shorter, close down more

LCM: MEZ-S w/ pass it shorter and close down more

LW: IW-S w/ stay wider and aim cross at far post

ST: CF-S or F9 w/ move into channels/roam

RW: RAM w/ tackle harder

As for the team instructions, I chose to up the tempo to attacking to get a more vertical style of play, but also dropped the tempo a tick down so my players don't just boot it. I took Dribble Less off because I thought it made my team far less creative, as players in Sarri's system would advance the ball forward through dribbling. I also added Focus Play Down the Left to further emphasize this area of the pitch.

Has anyone else had luck emulating this system? After changing to this version of the tactic I've won three games by a score of 4-0, 2-0, and 2-0 creating way more chances. 

Edited by GCVS00

I really appreciate this tactic, I havent tried your latest version but...

C'mon. You claim you want to test it with a "not god squad" and behold: your Napoli side are just filled with some of the best players in the game. Costa, Todibo, Parisi, Roque, Moukoko, Fresneda, Güler... Of course its gonna work, any tactic will work using these players.

Edited by Mutumba

@Mutumba I just decided to test this tactic with Sassuolo, not a bad team by any stretch, but they finished bottom half in Serie A this year and were projected for 9th in FM.

image.thumb.png.58f7bf884e99f4426e2ef66c3e310a64.png

image.thumb.png.5e220a23a83e40f4cc88e0b57f9e0b63.png

image.thumb.png.9ad2dd069760c7ef05913babbd77452a.png

After a season of holidaying, these were the results. I did not sign any players, just used the base team for Sassuolo. Overall, we over-performed and qualified for the Europa League. We were able to play attractive football and remain defensively solid, and even upset some bigger teams, beating Inter twice, beating and drawing Lazio, and beating Atalanta. The xG table shows we got a little lucky, but I'm encouraged seeing that this tactic can do well with decent to meh teams.

6 hours ago, GCVS00 said:

@Mutumba I just decided to test this tactic with Sassuolo, not a bad team by any stretch, but they finished bottom half in Serie A this year and were projected for 9th in FM.

image.thumb.png.58f7bf884e99f4426e2ef66c3e310a64.png

image.thumb.png.5e220a23a83e40f4cc88e0b57f9e0b63.png

image.thumb.png.9ad2dd069760c7ef05913babbd77452a.png

After a season of holidaying, these were the results. I did not sign any players, just used the base team for Sassuolo. Overall, we over-performed and qualified for the Europa League. We were able to play attractive football and remain defensively solid, and even upset some bigger teams, beating Inter twice, beating and drawing Lazio, and beating Atalanta. The xG table shows we got a little lucky, but I'm encouraged seeing that this tactic can do well with decent to meh teams.

Nice! Will give this a try, i just loaded op a save with Sassuolo this week :)

• 6 months later...

Has anyone adapted this tactic for FM24?  I feel like most of Sarriball is attainable within this ME compared to trying to pull of Michel's system with Girona.  Right now I'm concentrating on Player Traits.  Anyone see any glaring omissions? 

Rui/Ghoulam role - WB(s): runs with ball down left, gets forward whenever possible, plays one-twos

Koulibaly role - BPD(d): tries killer balls often

Albiol role - BPD(d): plays short simple passes, stops play

Jorginho role - Regista(s): dictates tempo, plays short simple passes, comes deep to get ball, plays one-twos

Hamsik role - Mezzala(s): dictates tempo, plays short simple passes, plays one-twos

Allan role - BBM(s): arrives late in opponents' area

Callejon role - W(s): comes deep to get ball, hugs the touchline, likes to beat offside trap 

Insigne role - IW(a): places shots, shoots from distance, cuts inside, plays one-twos

Mertens role - AF(a): comes deep to get ball

Edited by AmericanMilanista

14 hours ago, AmericanMilanista said:

Has anyone adapted this tactic for FM24?  I feel like most of Sarriball is attainable within this ME compared to trying to pull of Michel's system with Girona.  Right now I'm concentrating on Player Traits.  Anyone see any glaring omissions? 

Rui/Ghoulam role - WB(s): runs with ball down left, gets forward whenever possible, plays one-twos

Koulibaly role - BPD(d): tries killer balls often

Albiol role - BPD(d): plays short simple passes, stops play

Hysaj role - WB(d):

Jorginho role - Regista(s): dictates tempo, plays short simple passes, comes deep to get ball, plays one-twos

Hamsik role - Mezzala(s): dictates tempo, plays short simple passes, plays one-twos

Allan role - BBM(s): arrives late in opponents' area

Callejon role - W(s): comes deep to get ball, hugs the touchline, likes to beat offside trap 

Insigne role - IW(a): places shots, shoots from distance, cuts inside, plays one-twos

Mertens role - AF(a): comes deep to get ball

Here's my interpretation. Fairly confident in how it plays after years of refining. Heavy emphasis on quick, up-tempo passing through the middle of the pitch. Some key player instructions: FB(L): Sit narrower, get further forward
FR(R): Sit narrower, get further forward, cut inside with ball
AM(L): Stay wider
AM(R): Hold positionthZFm6l.thumb.png.81f9a73afe19d3c491545db3a3c078f2.png

22 minutes ago, butdoeshetrackback said:

Here's my interpretation. Fairly confident in how it plays after years of refining. Heavy emphasis on quick, up-tempo passing through the middle of the pitch. Some key player instructions: FB(L): Sit narrower, get further forward
FR(R): Sit narrower, get further forward, cut inside with ball
AM(L): Stay wider
AM(R): Hold positionthZFm6l.thumb.png.81f9a73afe19d3c491545db3a3c078f2.png

Results?

And are these all player instructions you use?

Very curious where folks are at with a Sarri tactic in FM24 for sure.  The drive to replicate his tactic in FM seems to have decreased since he moved to Lazio.  It's still on my list for FM24 to come up with a Napoli '15-17 tactic, whether it's replicating his side with in form Higuaín or Mertens.  With this year's match engine,

I feel like there's a better fit for his flexible midfield and fullbacks.  Just have yet to see anything pop up on YouTube or on the SI site replicating this and I am a simpleton with tactics.

Here's what I have going right now in my first season with Venezia using a tweak of @tikitakamaster 's Sarri tactics from FM23 (thank you for all your work over the years!).  Talent on this Venezia team is definitely in the top 1/3 of Serie B, but by no means a powerhouse.  Real challenge will come in year 3 of this save when I've been promoted to Serie A and have a couple transfer windows to narrow the talent gap and acquire players more fitting of the Sarri roles (especially on the defensive and pressing side).

• 2.22 goals/game (top in Serie B)
  • 1.74 NP-GX per game (top in Serie B)
  • Possession numbers are top 3 in Serie B at 90% completion and averaging just over 540 passes completed per match.
  • 4.2 chances created/game (top in Serie B)
  • 109 Final 3rd pass/game (top in Serie B)
  • XGA/game 1.338 (8th in Serie B)
  • 366 passes completed against/game (top in Serie B)
  • 88.8 Possession won per game (14th in Serie B)

image.png.95c96b73228e5a9b7e6eb2c08cd75b71.png

On 27/02/2024 at 19:02, AmericanMilanista said:

Very curious where folks are at with a Sarri tactic in FM24 for sure.  The drive to replicate his tactic in FM seems to have decreased since he moved to Lazio.  It's still on my list for FM24 to come up with a Napoli '15-17 tactic, whether it's replicating his side with in form Higuaín or Mertens.  With this year's match engine,

I feel like there's a better fit for his flexible midfield and fullbacks.  Just have yet to see anything pop up on YouTube or on the SI site replicating this and I am a simpleton with tactics.

Here's what I have going right now in my first season with Venezia using a tweak of @tikitakamaster 's Sarri tactics from FM23 (thank you for all your work over the years!).  Talent on this Venezia team is definitely in the top 1/3 of Serie B, but by no means a powerhouse.  Real challenge will come in year 3 of this save when I've been promoted to Serie A and have a couple transfer windows to narrow the talent gap and acquire players more fitting of the Sarri roles (especially on the defensive and pressing side).

• Possession numbers are top 3 in Serie B at 90% completion and averaging just over 540 passes completed per match.

I've been tinkering with a Sarri system myself over the last couple of days, simulated a season with Man Utd who I felt were in a similar place ability wise to what Sarri inhereted at Chelsea. 

Found that I was extremely close to his Chelsea team in terms of Points, Goals Scored, Goals Conceded, Shots Per Game, Passes Per Game.

Even my leading scorers had similar amounts of goals. 

It's not too different to yours. 

Screenshot_20240229_124343.thumb.jpg.3cc9442f96e6722e818147d88728954f.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_124347.thumb.jpg.cdfb209c0c32b758f685638894723758.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_124352.thumb.jpg.25018fcebe18773a776ee6d0d7bb18d7.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_124356.thumb.jpg.90ecb7adee7d855dde7f29101cd6ea19.jpg

On 27/02/2024 at 19:02, AmericanMilanista said:

You using any pi's?

I made the two replications here years ago, FM 17 and 18, as mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't know what happened to my Ji-Sung Park account, whatever.

Link to FM 17 version.

The problem back then, with the ME, was that wingbacks couldn't really participate in the buildup play as they can now. Ghoulam was like a wingback playmaker together with Insigne further forward, they both had massive amounts of touches across a season. Insigne was by all accounts a wide playmaker IRL, however that role was severely impotent in the game back then. 

The game plan was to play out from primarily Albiol or secondarily Koulibaly, on to the left hand side where Ghoulam and Insigne made triangles with Hamsik and then have runs from Mertens/Callejon to finish it off. The trick is to get the Callejon role to be closer to Mertens, while having the mechanics in place for him to fall back into the right sided midfielder when losing the ball. At the time RMD was the best choice, although I'm not sure now as I think a winger could well behave the same with the right PI's. 

I think the midfield three is self explanatory and it's only a question if they should all be in the MF strata or not. Hamsik, Jorginho and Allan was unbelievable back then, especially Hamsik's timed runs to arrive in the box.

The back four was similarly easy to define. Hysaj was a good right back, but had different tasks than Ghoulam and Rui on the left. The two CBs were by 2017/2018 both involved in the buildup, but Albiol as the right sided CB was the main outlet.