[FM23.4] Qatar Stars League (& Arab Cup/Gulf Cup/WAFF U23)

I've tried to implement the development strategy which will see the league drop to 10 teams. (edit: fixed)

As far as I can tell, the Sheikh Jassim (Super) Cup wasn't played in 2022, so I've left it out. Same with the old postseason Qatar Cup (edit: fixed) (although I revived the Arab CL and GCC).

The "Qatar FA Cup" also appears to have been a one-off at the end of last season, so it's not included. It gave everyone else something to do while the top 4 teams were in a COVID-rushed ACL group stage.

EDIT: In order to address this issue:

The league has a 3 foreigners rule + 1 Asian + 1 Arab. AFAIK there's no way to recognize the Arab player rule, even if we created an "agreement" including the Arab League/UAFA countries. So, I've given teams one extra foreigner spot.

The main download has an elaborate workaround that uses the extinct nation "Ireland pre-1922" as a secondary Qatar residency/nationality. This allows the extra international slot that's only for Arab/UAFA players.

Any suggestions, issues, etc, let me know.

Edited by themodelcitizen

• themodelcitizen changed the title to [FM23] Qatar Stars League (release) - follow the money

Arabian Gulf Cup added for international teams. Normally it's in December but in 2023 it will be held in January, in Basra, Iraq.

Currently simming several versions into the future to make sure there are no clashes, but I believe December is always free in the int'l calendar.

Everything is fresh for FM23, nothing imported. Nothing against importing old DBs mind you, I just haven't had a proper Qatar file since FM14.

13 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

I've tried to implement the development strategy which will see the league drop to 11 teams next season and 10 the year after. So far, the editor doesn't like having more relegated than promoted teams, so it's a work in progress; for now, the 12-team format sticks around (details are thin for the future anyway)

You need to use the Promotion/Relegation Tab

image.thumb.png.4cad5e5b95e667f371cc3f81673f1a19.png

if you set it to -1, it will allow you to relegate 1 more team than you promote

You will need to set the League parameters to allow for the change in league size

See the attached version as an example, im not sure how you want this to work so here a guess

TMC Qatar Stars League (SHA).fmf

• 2022-23
    • QNB Stars League - 12 Teams, 2 Relegated, 1 to PO
    • Qatargas League - 8 Teams, 1 Promoted, 1 to PO
    • QNB Cup 2 groups of 6
    • image.png.7a5f9dd8df336060e4a276ce8bc5d0cb.pngimage.png.a3e57d9eb755be4d31bedb78c03a485f.pngimage.png.eeb64a4ed2d4edb2dc502a0bfd9c1e5c.png
  • 2023-24
    • QNB Stars League - 11 Teams, 2 Relegated, 1 to PO
    • Qatargas League - 9 Teams, 1 Promoted, 1 to PO
    • QNB Cup 1 group of 6 1 of 5
    • image.png.0e0383c79eb40da0cd9128daaa0f4b83.pngimage.png.bafaab221be830ccb48e98fa7e2a0105.pngimage.png.e97f31b8c713dd531e26dd8b646e006b.png
  • 2024-25
    • QNB Stars League - 10 Teams, 1 Relegated, 1 to PO
    • Qatargas League - 10 Teams, 1 Promoted, 1 to PO
    • QNB Cup 2 Groups of 5
    • image.png.6f4b1e1bac2358a96e0cb78dad218e14.pngimage.png.f406a8cbee33f92b40abe07e603ed210.pngimage.png.915746892472083a10b411b0269e3702.png

(didnt notice the 2nd division cup when I did this, sorry)

Edited by nasaiain

Thanks, I'm playing around with it now. There's also the second division cup, I'll figure something out.

You've got pro/rel correct, at least based on what's announced - everything else is unclear, other than the 10-team league will have 27 games in 3 separate fixture blocks (gotta imagine some neutral venues/mini-tournaments). There may also be certain promotion criteria like professionalism and stadium condition.

Anyway, I realized the "non-Turkic" players rule hasn't been used in Turkey for years, so tested changing the "Turkic" agreement to contain the 22 Arab nations and adding the rule to the Stars League. Doesn't work though, the "non-Turkic" rule seems hardcoded and doesn't correspond to the "Turkic" agreement

Updated with the reduction to 10 teams over the next couple of seasons, thanks for pointing me to the correct setting @nasaiain.

In my tests, finances didn't seem to be an issue as the clubs are willing to offset any losses. Nice to have the Qatari squad getting game time ahead of the big one later this month.

On 08/11/2022 at 23:45, themodelcitizen said:

I wasn't able to find any hard numbers for sponsorship, government funding. or prize money in the various competitions let me know if you find this information, particularly any Arabic readers.

never played Qatar league, but sometimes add the extentions just in case i make Asian career, tried one time in Malasia

willing to help over this, i know someone is there and could link for a few people.

4 hours ago, Spurs_Q8 said:

never played Qatar league, but sometimes add the extentions just in case i make Asian career, tried one time in Malasia

willing to help over this, i know someone is there and could link for a few people.

That would be brilliant, I know the information must be out there, just haven't seen anything concrete in years. But it must have been mentioned offhand in searchable news articles in Arabic a bunch.

It's not gamebreaking, like I said the clubs are rich enough to offset any losses, it's just nice to include any details we come across.

EDIT: been playing with the "nations treated as EU" setting to try and replicate the extra Arab player rule, and it actually works for Algerians, Tunisians etc with the roster rule for "non-EU players in squad." The only problem is, it also decides Qataris are non-EU at that point, even if Qatar is included in the Agreement and also set as a "nation treated as EU" for itself. Gah? Watch this space, I'll figure something out...

• themodelcitizen changed the title to [FM23] Qatar Stars League (and Gulf Cup) - follow the money

purp.png.caf362ff2eac5004869f00eed2b37016.png

DB updated with some fleshed out some rivalries, award history, attendance (hilariously low), stuff like that. Also added the ongoing WAFF U-23 Cup to the international file (w/ new logos).

Get to know the different World Cup stadia - just like in the real QSL this season, some of your first few home games will be played at the WC venues to help warm them up.

The Arab as non-EU thing is still doing my head in, if anyone can get their head around it feel free to spitball ideas (see previous post)

• themodelcitizen changed the title to [FM23] Qatar Stars League (& Gulf Cup/WAFF U23) - follow the money

Would be nice if you added the league and continental award histories.

Last year while managing Al-Sadd i've had to manually complete various club, league and continental awards (youngest goalscorer, Asian Footballer of the Year etc).

That gives me something to do this week. I added the histories for league MVP and coach (which was painstaking, given the editor has a weird glitch that tends to reject changes to award history lines at weird times). I also added the missing years of the top scorer award (top 3 players), and they show as successful changes, but they don't appear in the game for some reason.

Let me know what else is missing and I can get to it. It's the additional details like that, along with rivalries, favoured personnel, media etc that really make the difference with immersion.

Thanks!! I'll take a look later, I'm sure there are some ideas I can get from his work.

IRL there's a reserve (used to be U23) and U19 league with very spotty details available in English, so I've gone with the default structures for those (mirror main division). But there was also apparently a U19 Cup played last season (and possibly this season)? So I might expand on that at some point

On 13/11/2022 at 15:37, themodelcitizen said:

purp.png.caf362ff2eac5004869f00eed2b37016.png

DB updated with some fleshed out some rivalries, award history, attendance (hilariously low), stuff like that. Also added the ongoing WAFF U-23 Cup to the international file (w/ new logos).

Get to know the different World Cup stadia - just like in the real QSL this season, some of your first few home games will be played at the WC venues to help warm them up.

The Arab as non-EU thing is still doing my head in, if anyone can get their head around it feel free to spitball ideas (see previous post)

have you tried doing nation agreements. you can add nations as non foreign. or foreign

We don't want ALL Arabs as non-foreign, just one per team. You're right that you can add any agreement, nation, etc, as "EU" to Qatar. But for some reason, it doesn't recognize Qatar as EU, even if they're a) in the agreement or b) specifically included as "EU" to itself.

The only solution I can think of is adding a second nationality to all Qataris, which is tempting because they don't actually have any default "regions", but it feels like way too much of a workaround.

@twister, I can see the academy thing is likely to make sure ASPIRE produces regens, that's an interesting idea. BTW, were your numbers for All Sadd records accurate up to the 2022 offseason, do you know?

Just testing a fresh update with even more accurate scheduling and some more stadia for reserve and U19 teams, will upload it tonight in the same link as in the OP.

OK cheers, I may look at adding that for a bunch of the teams.

I added some extra details for the World Cup stadia - although SI have gone kind of half-assed on this World Cup. And internationals in general, obviously, which is why I haven't sent the Qatar national team on their pre-World Cup friendly tour like IRL - the point is to keep them match-fit, not take it away...

I've also spent ages on dates manually to account for CL games and international breaks to minimize fixture pile-up.

The only thing missing is the Arab rule, although the AI is so bad at roster compliance that would likely ruin them. And maybe the U-19 Cup, if I see hard evidence it's being played this year I'll add it, but I *hate* creating competitions when I can avoid it (just throws off graphic packs)

Oh weird, sorry about that. I'm looking at a save from November 14, 2023 and they're registering players but not all of them.

I'm gonna troubleshoot it now and if no solution, I'll change it to matchday rules for foreigners later tonight instead of registering a 28-man squad. I realize that's scant consolation if you've already completed a season, thanks for letting me know though.

edit: It's a glitch with squad registration periods. @V50 logged the bug where it's a problem with basic rules too. I'm just trying now to see if they work better by manually setting the registration periods instead of relying on the transfer windows

OK that fixed it. Sorry @twister, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

AI still struggles hard with roster rules mind you, signing too many foreigners (including Claudio Bravo even though they can't register a foreign goalkeeper).

I'm gonna drop the foreign GK rule in the top tier because the only regs I could find were up to last season anyway. We can imagine they've stopped prioritizing home-grown players as much with the World Cup finally here

• themodelcitizen changed the title to [FM23] Updated - Qatar Stars League (& Gulf Cup/WAFF U23)

With that AI registration issue being fixed, I'm been brainstorming workarounds for the Arab rule.

Non-EU/non-foreign squad rules can have "conditions" like "include players domestic to competition", but I haven't got it to correct that weird glitch were a country can't be "EU" to itself.

Feel free to experiment and post your results. There's gotta be something with having everyone non-Arab as EU to Qatar, but my brain has hit a wall.

Spoiler

Option 1 so far

Make all Arab countries domestic. Match day rules - "same nation players": min 18 (out of 23), foreign players: max 4.

Pros:

• Functionally, you have to have 18 Qataris in your gameday roster but have room for 4 foreigners - then 1 spot left for the Arab.

Cons:

• You could game this by signing 18, like, Algerians or Tunisians, lol.
  • A nonsensical-looking "rules" screen looks bad.
  • We want to keep "overall squad rules" as much as possible for squad registration,

Option 2

All Arabs still domestic, but set season rule for "non-homegrown": max 5, "non-foreign": max 4.

Pros:

• all domestic newgens are automatically homegrown.
  • Doable in squad rules and looks slightly less immersion-breaking

Cons:

• Naturalized players, and rare instances of a Qatari newgen abroad, won't be homegrown (easy fix for existing players like Tarek Salman and Pedro Miguel)

Let me know if anyone has thoughts. Can't decide which I prefer.

I figured that's associated with "based in nation" which is whatever club a player is at (or last at if they're unattached).

And that it would thereby only be relevant for international comps like the CHAN where you can only use domestic players. But it's worth a test, you're right

Big fan of your middle eastern files! I remember 'days to gain nationality' used to be 1095 for Qatar in previous editions of the game tough now seem to be 1825, wonder if the rules changed or SI was previously wrong? Kinda liked the short time to get nationality tbh :D

Edited by kandersson

29 minutes ago, kandersson said:

Big fan of your middle eastern files! I remember 'days to gain nationality' used to be 1095 for Qatar in previous editions of the game tough now seem to be 1825, wonder if the rules changed or SI was previously wrong? Kinda liked the short time to get nationality tbh :D

It was a change on the research side. I don't recall it being 3 years, I think it was 10 when I changed it. Could have been and I forgot. But I went through, in time for 23, every ME country checking citizenship and economic stuff, as a lot of them needed updates. So that's probably why it's 5 years now haha.

I think it's 20 years for some employment sectors in Qatar, quite restrictive. FIFA's rules are 5 years? So to recognize that a lot of countries fast-track naturalized athletes it makes sense to apply it across the board. Cheers @FootballHedgehog for the explanation, the research on the Saudi side looks great this year, really adds to the DB. And thanks @kandersson for the comment, watch this space for the Emirates Pro League and some more int'l comps.

Also leaning towards just releasing an alternate version of this file that will use Ireland pre-1922 to create a "Qatar (resident)" second nationality (hopefully not clickable) that all Qataris (including newgens) would have. This would be recognized as "EU" along with the Arab countries and allow that rule to be implemented. Weekend project maybe

On 01/12/2022 at 13:40, FootballHedgehog said:

It was a change on the research side. I don't recall it being 3 years, I think it was 10 when I changed it. Could have been and I forgot. But I went through, in time for 23, every ME country checking citizenship and economic stuff, as a lot of them needed updates. So that's probably why it's 5 years now haha.

I noticed you implemented the 50mil (SAR) government grant for a bunch of Saudi clubs, I ended up just including that in the league as participation money and took it out from the individual clubs. Do you know if they ended up running a U23 league this year? I feel like everyone in the whole Gulf is so busy with the World Cup they haven't published any regs or anything for this season yet, much less in English :lol:

EDIT: added a fix for the "non-EU" issue (see above). This means you get true-to-life roster rules at the expense of using the extinct "Ireland pre-1922" nation for any other projects.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

qatariresident2.thumb.png.d1d144d785183a041655fe93e06b77ac.pngqatariresident3.thumb.png.e6961a7bb52644507d9e741e8067c377.png

Someone on Steam pointed out there's a squad numbers bug in the international comps where it asks you to pick squad numbers the day before squad selection date but won't actually let you progress.

In the meantime you should be able to holiday one day to get past it (save a backup first). If anyone can figure this out they'll get a special thanks in OP :lol:

EDIT: fixed it, re-download the Gulf Cup file if you have it already (and give me a few mins before grabbing the COSAFA and Arab U-20 files too)

If you're making an international comp you just need to have it so the national team call-ups happen 3+ days before the comp kicks off, I had it at 2 days based on when most teams released their squads but 3 days is plenty realistic too (can imagine that's the deadline)

Been thinking of the idea @twister noted in @DaveTheEditor's FM22 database to get the ASPIRE Academy producing newgens. Ideally this could be done without actually assigning them to a league that shows up anywhere, but my testing that way hasn't worked so far. The extra newgens each year coming from those youth facilities could come in handy.

I had a version where there was a U18 league not actually assigning any fixtures so that ASPIRE could produce newgens, but it doesn't behave quite the way we want, including how player history shows 0 apps each year and the high-rated staff bail at the first opportunity. We can fix that by setting a higher competition rep, but then they'll start signing guys away from other teams, also not ideal...

• 2 weeks later...

I had it pointed out that FIFA have in fact confirmed the Arab Cup wasn't a one-off and will continue in 2025, so I'll likely build that as well at some point. There are other Arab Cup files and they probably work fine for now, but with mine I'll accommodate the fixtures in my league files too. And anyway, if it doesn't say "TMC" I can't guarantee the same degree of realism :lol:

Might have to make the Gulf Cup a quadrennial tournament to fit it in. Welcome to feedback on this. IRL the year interval has been all over the place

In FM18 I had Morocco as the next host but they seem to be getting the CWC that year so likely not

On 11/11/2022 at 04:44, themodelcitizen said:

Updated with the reduction to 10 teams over the next couple of seasons, thanks for pointing me to the correct setting @nasaiain.

In my tests, finances didn't seem to be an issue as the clubs are willing to offset any losses. Nice to have the Qatari squad getting game time ahead of the big one later this month.

Is it not going from 12 to 10 directly in 1 season without passing to 11? That was My understanding

33 minutes ago, rmpMarko said:

Is it not going from 12 to 10 directly in 1 season without passing to 11? That was My understanding

Hmm you know the Gulf Times article (which I can only find the cached version of) supports what you're saying. But I swear I saw some official documentation somewhere about the more gradual switch. I'll keep looking for some harder evidence

Edit: This says 10 next season too. It was due for an update anyway now that the World Cup dust has settled and they're releasing more fixture dates. I'll fix it this weekend

7 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Hmm you know the Gulf Times article (which I can only find the cached version of) supports what you're saying. But I swear I saw some official documentation somewhere about the more gradual switch. I'll keep looking for some harder evidence

Edit: This says 10 next season too. It was due for an update anyway now that the World Cup dust has settled and they're releasing more fixture dates. I'll fix it this weekend

That s ok. No rush. I love making databases and im trying to unlock the whole Asia. But did not touch qatar as I saw yours and can tell there is passion and lot of hours behind! And can see you Like competitions Like in real life and needs articles or data to support! Like me! 

Also saw the articles but doesn't explain the relegation promotion system to drop 2 teams. Im assuming 4 relegations and 2 promotion? 

Edited by rmpMarko

I think the AFC website said something about 2 going straight down, and 3rd last going into a playoff with the Second Division champion.

So between 2 and 3 teams relegated (depending on the playoff outcome), and between 0 and 1 teams promoted in the first year.

I swore there was talk about it happening more gradually but I might have misread things back in November

EDIT: Just updated the link with the change to 10 teams happening next season instead of the one after. It's getting all 27 games in, just a little tight, so I ended the 2023/24 season a week or two later than before

Added the Arab Cup from 2025 to the Gulf Cup file.

Spoiler

lebfixtures1.thumb.png.d7b64f7fd9ad163296e12767150f8b60.png

Follows the same format as 2021, with the bottom-ranked teams and an invitee narrowing the field in a neutral playoff on the only free date in June - then a 16-team tournament in December.

Also adjusted the Stars League (and the Saudi file) to break for a few weeks during the tournament, with the season slightly extended as a result.

I'll make a challenge thread at some point for all these internationals where you have to win everything in Africa and Asia, but until then, if anyone's managed to win the Gulf Cup or anything let us know here how you've been getting on.

On 29/11/2022 at 03:57, themodelcitizen said:

With that AI registration issue being fixed, I'm been brainstorming workarounds for the Arab rule.

Non-EU/non-foreign squad rules can have "conditions" like "include players domestic to competition", but I haven't got it to correct that weird glitch were a country can't be "EU" to itself.

Feel free to experiment and post your results. There's gotta be something with having everyone non-Arab as EU to Qatar, but my brain has hit a wall.

Reveal hidden contents

Option 1 so far

Make all Arab countries domestic. Match day rules - "same nation players": min 18 (out of 23), foreign players: max 4.

Pros:

• Functionally, you have to have 18 Qataris in your gameday roster but have room for 4 foreigners - then 1 spot left for the Arab.

Cons:

• You could game this by signing 18, like, Algerians or Tunisians, lol.
  • A nonsensical-looking "rules" screen looks bad.
  • We want to keep "overall squad rules" as much as possible for squad registration,

Option 2

All Arabs still domestic, but set season rule for "non-homegrown": max 5, "non-foreign": max 4.

Pros:

• all domestic newgens are automatically homegrown.
  • Doable in squad rules and looks slightly less immersion-breaking

Cons:

• Naturalized players, and rare instances of a Qatari newgen abroad, won't be homegrown (easy fix for existing players like Tarek Salman and Pedro Miguel)

Let me know if anyone has thoughts. Can't decide which I prefer.

Could you explain better to me How the rule works? I have downloaded Your file to have a look. So i can see the union arab agreement with the countries in it.. And then of course i can see the non Eu players in squad? But How are they related and work together so there is the limit of one player from those countries? And How did u create the qatar residenti thing in the treat as EU

I d Like to replicate something similar for lebanon and a rule of 1 palestinian player but i want to understand yours. 

Edited by rmpMarko

The rule is 3+1+1. Described as 3 foreign slots, 1 slot for Asian players, and 1 slot for Arab players.

Effectively, that means 5 foreigners (in total), which is reflected in my roster rule.

This also means non-Asian foreigners are maxed at 4 (think about it. The extra Arab player can be Asian, but he might also be North African).

This also means non-EU foreigners (non-Arab) are maxed at 4.

To actually make all Arabs "EU" to Qatar is easy enough, but it then creates a glitch where Qataris somehow count as non-EU. Fixing this requires the elaborate workaround I've described here (using an extinct nation). It's a big project, and will render your DB incompatible with any others that use the same extinct nation (I can see that the brilliant Isle of Man DB here in the Editor's Hideaway also uses Ireland pre-1922, so I might change mine to United Arab Republic or something in the future so they're compatible).

Yours sounds doable. Just do like 5 foreigners, 4 non-EU (for example if the rule was 4+1). Then go into Lebanon's information and add Palestine to "nations treated as EU". However this might mean Lebanese players are glitched and recognized as "non-EU", so you'd need the elaborate workaround using an extinct nation to create a secondary Lebanese nationality. It's annoying and will likely create more issues, but it's a fun method to learn.

Thankfully, both Qatar and San Marino don't allow dual nationality (and conveniently don't have default local regions), so the extra nationality doesn't even show up as a "second nationality" but is there in the background. For Lebanon you could name it "Lebanese (natural-born)" or something with the Lebanese flag or coat of arms (maybe they have a separate legal category for jus soli Lebanese, you could use that). Non-clickable but necessary for this weird roster workaround

4 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Actually yours sounds a lot easier. Just do like 4 foreigners, 5 non-EU (for example if the rule was 4+1). Then go into Lebanon's information and add Palestine to "nations treated as non-EU". It shouldn't create the glitch because the glitch would be specific to Lebanese players in Lebanon (only when using non-EU rules)

Thanks. I get this First part to put palestine as non Eu.. So when i put that in the country, if i put non Eu in the fixture rules Will the game automatically know that is just for palestinians? Or do i need something else? Sounds too easy

Edited by rmpMarko

Well it's "easy" until the game starts counting all of your Lebanese players as non-EU too, even if you specifically include Lebanon as "EU" to itself (this is the glitch). So it's going to tell you all but 1 of your Lebanese players (if the roster rule was 1 extra EU player) can't be registered.

This is some weird holdover of the coding, maybe they thought people would only include that rule for countries already in the EU, or just an oversight.

10 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Well it's "easy" until the game starts counting all of your Lebanese players as non-EU too, even if you specifically include Lebanon as "non-EU" to itself (this is the glitch). So it's going to tell you all but 1 of your Lebanese players (if the roster rule was 1 extra non-EU player) can't be registered.

This is some weird holdover of the coding, maybe they thought people would only include that rule for countries already in the EU, or just an oversight.

Ok so you created the qatari resident one from there.. From the exctint nation for this purpose.. Got it.. Interesting.. I think it would be much easier If it was possible same mechanism for cups.. Creating country pools / select specific nationalities just for that database in that moment without changing all these things.. 

Edited by rmpMarko

• themodelcitizen changed the title to [FM23] Qatar Stars League (& Arab Cup/Gulf Cup/WAFF U23)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2023 at 22:28, themodelcitizen said:

The rule is 3+1+1. Described as 3 foreign slots, 1 slot for Asian players, and 1 slot for Arab players.

Effectively, that means 5 foreigners (in total), which is reflected in my roster rule.

This also means non-Asian foreigners are maxed at 4 (think about it. The extra Arab player can be Asian, but he might also be North African).

This also means non-EU foreigners (non-Arab) are maxed at 4.

To actually make all Arabs "EU" to Qatar is easy enough, but it then creates a glitch where Qataris somehow count as non-EU. Fixing this requires the elaborate workaround I've described here (using an extinct nation). It's a big project, and will render your DB incompatible with any others that use the same extinct nation (I can see that the brilliant Isle of Man DB here in the Editor's Hideaway also uses Ireland pre-1922, so I might change mine to United Arab Republic or something in the future so they're compatible).

How would u approach If a country was allowing Dual citizenship? 

Ive tried this in new Zealand as there is a rule 4+1 foreigners where the 1 is from a member of oceanic football federation. It works..ish.. Player with a second citizenship are still seen as foreigners.. Do u think putting the residenti nationality as "born in nation" would solve the issue? 

Just "eligible" should work as normal for your extra nation ("New Zealand (Realm)" or something), which will be included in the new "agreement" of Oceania/OFC (or if you don't want to create an agreement, add them as "nations treated as EU" to New Zealand along with everyone else in OFC). Players won't be called up to the new nation if it doesn't have a continent and doesn't play games.