FM23 Beta - How would you set up scouts?

The revamped scouting area in FM23 looks really good, but it's left me unsure how to set up scouting assignments optimally.

Previously, I would send each scout to a nation/region, leave them there, and never touch it again.

In FM23, however, looks like it is encouraging players to use several shorter-term scouting focuses.

Has anybody got any tips on how to best set up a scouting team? Has anybody found a strategy/focus that helps find young unknown players/newgens?

I'm not sure if this is the right way, but I'm setting them up in a similar way as I did in FM22. I also just want a scout continuously scouting a specific country.

I assume the settings I have for current/potential ability mean Player has at least half a silver star in current ability and has at least 4 gold stars in potential ability.

image.png.189a15faafd6abe0ebb89c41c26f6b1c.png

I feel like I'm getting fewer recommendations compared to FM22.

Edited by frank_olaf

1 hour ago, sugarbear0511 said:

I still can't figure out how to set up scouting assignments for a specific nation/region/continent to look for players with specific attributes. I don't know if this is a bug or what

Setting specific attributes has been removed in FM23. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2022 at 14:27, fc.cadoni said:

Setting specific attributes has been removed in FM23. 

This is disappointing. Now we have to rely on the star system which is very vague because we know the stars are relative but in this scouting what are they relative to? The CA/PA of players in your squad? the other players in the region/country/continent that your scouting? It's also seem buggy because I set up a recruitment focus covering belgium. netherlands and germany with 3 scouts that all have outstanding knowledge in all 3 countries and even when I crank down the CA/PA to 1.5 star I still could not find anyone! Is there any in depth guide on how the scouting work now??

Edited by sugarbear0511

19 minutes ago, sugarbear0511 said:

This is disappointing. Now we have to rely on the star system which is very vague because we know the stars are relative but in this scouting what are they relative to? The CA/PA of players in your squad? the other players in the region/country/continent that your scouting? It's also seem buggy because I set up a recruitment focus covering belgium. netherlands and germany with 3 scouts that all have outstanding knowledge in all 3 countries and even when I crank down the CA/PA to 1.5 star I still could not find anyone! Is there any in depth guide on how the scouting work now??

Never rely on stars. Always look attributes and some prefer statistics (xG, Goals etc). The better the attributes, the better the CA. CA is the sum of all attributes combined which every attribute have different weighting for each position. So, CA is not a god indicator to judge a player because you can have a CA 140 DC Player with Decisions of 11, but you can have a player with CA 120 and Decisions of 18. According to the last year attributes weighting, Decision for DC position had the most weighting as an example.

8 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

Never rely on stars. Always look attributes and some prefer statistics (xG, Goals etc). The better the attributes, the better the CA. CA is the sum of all attributes combined which every attribute have different weighting for each position. So, CA is not a god indicator to judge a player because you can have a CA 140 DC Player with Decisions of 11, but you can have a player with CA 120 and Decisions of 18. According to the last year attributes weighting, Decision for DC position had the most weighting as an example.

you have to use stars to set up recruitment focus. The UI uses star system to rate minimum CA and PA for players you want to scout. Didn't you say you can't scout by attributes anymore?? I know once my scouts return with some results I go through them not by their star rating but their attributes but the problem is the way recruitment focus is set up now I think it's bugged and not returning players that's supposed to be included in the minimum ca/pa

Edited by sugarbear0511

I struggle to find anybody in ongoing assignments (like 2 star current, 3 star potential for, say, france and/or italy give out nothing) so i end up setting up position scouts for a selection of countries. And again spend way too much time doing attribute searches ... Might delete everything and start new and see if maybe that fixes it.

3 hours ago, sugarbear0511 said:

you have to use stars to set up recruitment focus. The UI uses star system to rate minimum CA and PA for players you want to scout. Didn't you say you can't scout by attributes anymore?? I know once my scouts return with some results I go through them not by their star rating but their attributes but the problem is the way recruitment focus is set up now I think it's bugged and not returning players that's supposed to be included in the minimum ca/pa

Then set it as minimum. In Player Range you will find all the players which you have loaded in database (World Scouting Package required). Scouters will try to send you player reports based on team reputation, league, current squad etc criteria (and the ones which you or club does not have any knowledge %)

On 11/11/2022 at 14:34, BadAss88 said:

So I won't get any recommendations if I send a scout to France with no filter? (0.5 silver star current and potential)

I would expect that my scout would return with a ton load of players but just recommend the best ones..

It's hit or miss, sometimes your scouts will recommend a number of players other times they won't even though in the 'in progress' list there are 20-30 players that fit the requirements they just never get rcommended. There are also good players that didn't even make it to any of the other lists. I sent 2 scouts to france to look for a striker under 27 with at least 2 stars CA and they could not find anyone, apparently neymar, mbappe or messi did not make the requirements.

I think there are some hidden filters that's not revealed to us when we set up recruitment focus like likelihood players will join, their value vs our xfer budget, etc.

Scouting is just plain broken and a complete mess. It was fine and working before, and this supposed “headline feature” being so broken is what is putting me off my long term save, i haven’t started yet.

better off scouting manually youth national teams when callups are made, and just using player search.

So sad that the best match engine is put into a game that broke the most fun thing that there was

Yea I'd like someone from SI maybe reply to this issue whether we're doing something wrong with the scouting or if there really is a bug and that they're going to address it. I mean if you're a EPL club with 4.5 star world reputation scouting for an at least 3 star striker in Serie A you would think that Victor Osimhen would be recommended, but no.

It looks like it should work so much better than it actually does. I've tried several ways of setting up scouting (lots of shorter focuses vs long-term ongoing focuses) and none of them seem to work very well.

Also, if you set several ongoing assignments, the game doesn't seem to handle the setting of short-term focuses well. My scouts on ongoing assignments routinely get assigned to the short term focuses, too, which seems to cancel/indefinitely pause the ongoing assignment. I hope this is something that they fix asap.

3 minutes ago, sugarbear0511 said:

I just don't understand why they remove the ability to assign an 'assignment' to a scout instead of this focus system and yet still left the 'scout assignments' option on the menu!

I think you can still do it yourself manually, but I would have thought that if you left it as 'assign any scouts,' your chief scout wouldn't be silly enough to keep giving additional assignments to already busy scouts. Nor that, even if you were to do that, it would then completely ruin the original assignment to the point you have to delete and re-create it. I really like the idea of being able to create multiple focuses easily, it just doesn't work particularly well at the moment, as far as I can tell

I like the idea of the Recruitment focuses and it seems easier to set up ongoing searches but not sure if anyone else gets this but the focuses are really buggy and frustrating...

For example - when you create a focus, you can't seem to assign the scout on the original screen as they are all blacked out. I have to create it, then go back in and assign it 2nd time around.

Also the most frustrating part is when you look at a player in the "in progress" part and when you come back out it automatically goes back to the default recommended page. This is similar to the player search page as well where it always goes back to the top which is incredibly frustrating when you are far down a list!

Or is this just me and i am doing something wrong?

I like it too when it's working. I keep getting updates on recruitment focus that has been completed:

image.jpeg.fe9edb284f4975579b86ee5ee23d1a81.jpeg

so there's 9 recommendations but 0 recommended (??????)

and this recruitment focus actually has ended for more than a month

image.jpeg.afe1796b00e8cc2e6863fd0788988f65.jpeg

so yea, scouting is NOT WORKING at the moment.