Sacked After 5 Games!!

Hi all. Wondering if somebody can help me. I was managing Union SG in Belgium who were in the UCL qualifying rounds. Played a couple of league games and was doing okay (1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat) and expectations were for top half so all good here. The board wanted me to qualify for the Group Stage of the UCL which felt like a big ask but I didn’t think much of it. We played PSV in qualifying and lost 4-2 on agg. We would have dropped in to the Europa League as far as I’m aware. Anyway the day after the second leg the board call an emergency meeting and sack me for failing a key objective. I was gobsmacked! Is this a bug or have I just been really unlucky?

42 minutes ago, DanBeats90 said:

Hi all. Wondering if somebody can help me. I was managing Union SG in Belgium who were in the UCL qualifying rounds. Played a couple of league games and was doing okay (1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat) and expectations were for top half so all good here. The board wanted me to qualify for the Group Stage of the UCL which felt like a big ask but I didn’t think much of it. We played PSV in qualifying and lost 4-2 on agg. We would have dropped in to the Europa League as far as I’m aware. Anyway the day after the second leg the board call an emergency meeting and sack me for failing a key objective. I was gobsmacked! Is this a bug or have I just been really unlucky?

It is hard not to conclude that you were very unlucky, but with no history and presumably little reputation, failing a key board requirement can lead to pretty brutal outcomes.  It may be worth uploading it to the  Bug Tracker and let the developers have a look at the save.

Yeah I’ll stick it on the Bugs forum and let them take a look. The thing that is has me thinking this is probably a bug is that I checked the Club Vision after the second leg and I was graded at ‘C’ and the board said although they were disappointed we got knocked out they acknowledged we had a tough draw. Seems incredibly unlikely a club would sack their manager for this, particularly a small club like USG who are already punching above their weight by being in the third qualifying round (8,000 capacity stadium, top earner is on €10k a week). Thanks for the feedback.

16 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

What was your starting reputation and qualifications? That'll be a factor too, but as Fraz said, it sounds like there may be an issue and/or you've been very unlucky.

I chose recommended qualifications (Continental Pro) and I always go 1 click below recommended reputation (regional professional I think). Players were neutral in terms of what they thought of me, board and supporters both grade “C”.

41 minutes ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello, sorry about your sacking. This is a known issue we're currently investigating, thank you.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Good to know it’s being looked in to. Do you know if any fix is likely to be save-game compatible? I would like to start a new save and don’t mind living with bugs as long as I get the benefit of the fixes as and when they arrive.

Edited by DanBeats90

24 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

Frank De Beor was sacked after 6 games with Palace

True. But didn’t he lose all 6 without scoring a goal? I won two out of 5 including the second leg of the UCL - I was effectively sacked because I lost one game, the first leg, 3-0.

50 minutes ago, DanBeats90 said:

True. But didn’t he lose all 6 without scoring a goal? I won two out of 5 including the second leg of the UCL - I was effectively sacked because I lost one game, the first leg, 3-0.

It was after five games, four league and one league cup. The league cup he got a win against Ipswich, who were lower division (Championship I think). He was sacked for many reasons:

• The league games were fairly easy and were all losses with no goals scored, including, if my memory is correct a 0-4 loss at home to Huddersfield who were favourites for relegation.
  • He upset lots of players by telling them they weren't needed but then failing to sell them and having to use them.
  • He played players out of position so he could play his favoured style and formation.
  • He told the board he would gradually move to a more Ajax style of play, but then changed too quickly without players who could do it.
  • He used youth players in the first team who were nowhere near ready for the first team.

Hopefully the OP isn't that bad a manager!

The issue here is that those expectations are too high. Absolutely nobody predicted USG to get through qualifying; it was a huge upset for them to be in it to begin with and the opposition were always going to be extremely tough. Even an expectation of getting through the Europa groups would be a bit harsh given their seeding but probably reasonable.

7 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

The issue here is that those expectations are too high. Absolutely nobody predicted USG to get through qualifying; it was a huge upset for them to be in it to begin with and the opposition were always going to be extremely tough. Even an expectation of getting through the Europa groups would be a bit harsh given their seeding but probably reasonable.

Yep this was my issue with it. It would have been more believable if I’d been trying to qualify with a club like Juve, or Chelsea, etc. Putting a positive spin on it though, it’s given me a few days to poke around the new game and get used to new features and now I’m looking forward to going again (once I’ve figured out who to be!)

I got sacked by Prestatyn after 2 wins 2 draws. I then lost my first game and had a crisis meeting when even then they sacked me. Even funnier is that Eddie Howe got sacked in October with Newcastle 11th, Rodgers sacked in October with Leicester 13th

It's currently November and there have been at least 20 sacking across the Prem to Conf. South..............ha ha ha ha

19 hours ago, Bromley Raven said:

It was after five games, four league and one league cup. The league cup he got a win against Ipswich, who were lower division (Championship I think). He was sacked for many reasons:

• The league games were fairly easy and were all losses with no goals scored, including, if my memory is correct a 0-4 loss at home to Huddersfield who were favourites for relegation.
  • He upset lots of players by telling them they weren't needed but then failing to sell them and having to use them.
  • He played players out of position so he could play his favoured style and formation.
  • He told the board he would gradually move to a more Ajax style of play, but then changed too quickly without players who could do it.
  • He used youth players in the first team who were nowhere near ready for the first team.

Hopefully the OP isn't that bad a manager!

Lol, Class act!