What touchline shout for player with complacent body language?

Dictionary.com’s  definition of complacency is “a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, condition, etc.”

This makes it clear that someone becomes overly relaxed/secure which, on a football pitch, means lack of concentration. It also means less motivation, because there's that security.

That makes choosing a touchline shout easy. Demand More or Concentrate. I use Demand More if complacency does set in, but it can have mixed results because of the added pressure you put on players.

Keep in mind, touchline shouts have small effects, so it's still best to avoid complacency before it sets in.

I use calm down whenever I’m ahead and it seems to do the trick. Demand more when behind or the oppo is on top (when you’re ahead). 

Encourage when behind but playing ok and when level. 

All of the above always provoke a positive reaction whereas anything else is hit and miss, from my experience. 

Edited by Mst82

20 minutes ago, crpcarrot said:

i am still unsure about when to use fire up and encourage. i dont always get the response i am expecting.

Encourage works for me when the scores are level or when I am a goal down vs a team that's favourites for the match. I use it to just encourage them and get some confidence going.

Fire up is something I use when I am a goal down when we're the favourites. That's to get players fired up and motivated. I am careful of using it if morale (and with that, confidence) is low since I'm also putting more pressure on them.

some players seem to need to be berated performance will go from 6.5 to 7+

As I said above, touchline shouts have small effects. Tbh, I'd be very surprised if that touchline shout would be the entire reason for the improvement. It's more likely that other changes will have affected this as well.

6 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Complacency generally seems to kick in when I'm winning well. In which case the Praise button generally turns the whole team body language positive, including complacent players

Yeah, but that isn't a good thing.

Outside of being in a comfortably winning position the only times I've had complacent emerge I think is when I've been too positive/getting carried away with team talks. It's a careful balance. There are times where you need to tell your team, even after a 1-0 or 2-1 win that a performance just wasn't good enough (and not the do better against better opposition one). 

8 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Yeah, but that isn't a good thing.

Yep, one of the annoying things about FM psychology is that for all I know the happy and fired up body language actually means that complacency has gone up another level still! But it doesn't appear to backfire on the pitch, and most other options in that scenario imply the player body language gets worse

21 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Yep, one of the annoying things about FM psychology is that for all I know the happy and fired up body language actually means that complacency has gone up another level still! But it doesn't appear to backfire on the pitch, and most other options in that scenario imply the player body language gets worse

This is no different to team talks. You're equating 'positive' with a green face. Praise is supposed to increase morale and confidence, but when a player is already over-confident/complacent, it makes them lose focus. Fortunately, touchline shout effects are small.

I mean, the UI design equates positive with a green face and happiness/confidence/motivation as qualitatively different from complacency. I'm aware that if it's anything like personality descriptions it's not quite that straightforward under the hood, but there is  no logical reason to assume that "inspired and motivated" represents a worsening of "looks complacent" or that "frustrated by the feedback" means that I've actually made the right team talk for the situation.

23 hours ago, enigmatic said:

"inspired and motivated"

If you're getting that, it's buggy. It's the sort of reaction you get when using the shout "Fire Up" which is obviously a very different shout used in different circumstance.

It should be "Delighted after the feedback", which isn't a good thing as it feeds the ego, so brings (a little, since it's only a touchline shout) more complacency.

Edit: I have just checked and I am getting "Delighted after the feedback", so at least on my end, it's working correctly.