[FM22] Ergotelis - We are Greek, but we aren't boring

noikeee

Love the IWB/Mezz/IF dynamic you have going here -- if it's anything like what I see with my setup (IW instead of IF), it's going to be saucy in all the right ways.

giphy.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A really great progress with the club and I like your tactical ideas.

And I want to ask: do you know why the league always starts so late in September - is it a bug? And how do you manage your pre-season when almost from the start of it you have European matches. In my save with PAO it looks like I will have the same schedule. It really confuses me as I always pay a lot of attention to preparation for a season.

On 25/07/2022 at 04:26, karanhsingh said:

Love the tactical train of thought :lol:

Treq is a role that's never worked for me either sadly. If this formation works well for you it'll certainly be the most innovative one I've seen in a while. 

It sadly soon became a bit inconsistent... went back to the drawing board yet again.

On 25/07/2022 at 04:48, ManUtd1 said:

Love the IWB/Mezz/IF dynamic you have going here -- if it's anything like what I see with my setup (IW instead of IF), it's going to be saucy in all the right ways.

giphy.gif

Yeah and it had the wide CB on attack to help the width on the flank to add insult to injury, too.

However, as tonight's update will show, I've scrapped the whole thing...

On 26/07/2022 at 14:32, Vladis said:

A really great progress with the club and I like your tactical ideas.

And I want to ask: do you know why the league always starts so late in September - is it a bug? And how do you manage your pre-season when almost from the start of it you have European matches. In my save with PAO it looks like I will have the same schedule. It really confuses me as I always pay a lot of attention to preparation for a season.

I think it starts in September because it's so hot in Greece in the Summer, no? At least that's what I imagined these late starts were all about.

What I do is pretty simple, I let the assman set the friendlies, I rotate between 2 different 11s for each friendly (and use instant result because I can't be arsed to watch it), and only make sure to cancel the matches if they're less than 6 or so days before each European fixture. Sometimes I'll arrange 1 or 2 more friendlies to fill up the calendar here and there, but I don't mind going into an early European fixture with only 3 or 4 matches in the legs of the players.

First, the Conference knockout tie.

m6W0npn.png

rp4suNy.png

Eh, not much of a story here. At home we didn't translate our xG stuff into that many goals, but in Cyprus, we did. Julio Cesar played as AF here in our new formation and he looked good in it, just like in the good old days, scoring 3.

Now, remember me posting that the Conference draw was looking a bit easy, and that with the teams left in the competition we probably looked good for the whole thing?

XrCIxWF.png

Scratch that, the group winners hadn't entered the competition yet. :D I do think we have a more than decent chance against Vitesse, but with Arsenal, Leverkusen, Sevilla, Atalanta in the competition I think I need to calm down a little.

35 minutes ago, noikeee said:

It sadly soon became a bit inconsistent... went back to the drawing board yet again.

Yeah and it had the wide CB on attack to help the width on the flank to add insult to injury, too.

I think it starts in September because it's so hot in Greece in the Summer, no? At least that's what I imagined these late starts were all about.

What I do is pretty simple, I let the assman set the friendlies, I rotate between 2 different 11s for each friendly (and use instant result because I can't be arsed to watch it), and only make sure to cancel the matches if they're less than 6 or so days before each European fixture. Sometimes I'll arrange 1 or 2 more friendlies to fill up the calendar here and there, but I don't mind going into an early European fixture with only 3 or 4 matches in the legs of the players.

It starts so late for the warm weather like you said and because we still believe that we have 1 team in CL group stage round and 2 in CL quilifiers...:D

Posted (edited)

2027/28 - End of regular season report

Transfers

I am fuming.

The absolute MORON we have as president decided that mezzala Mateus, one of our key players, should be sold by 2.2M€. This amount can eventually increase to 7.75M€ but only if he plays a ton of matches for Villarreal. Oh but fear not, he's been loaned back to us for a few more months (so he can't get those matches). Sigh. Why do I bother negotiating contracts over and over again to eventually raise my players' release clauses, if my board is going to sell them for a tiny fraction of it?

Other things happened. Backup striker Álvaro Correa, who hadn't really done much for us, was sent away for 3.5M€. Centerback Raphael, who never found a first team place given we're so tight on non-EU player restrictions, sold by 150K€. Oh and we hired 2 players... one of which I broke the bank for.

Yulián Osorio (DR) - Hiring even more Colombians is probably not optimal, specially since we already have 3 of them (!) who can play rightback. But the potential was impossible to ignore, when I could get him on a free - and he's already developing rapidly. I sent him on loan back to his country.

David Samuel (AML, ST) - I totally smashed the transfer record of the club, paying 6.75M€ for this bloke. The fee is probably a bit on the high side but I wanted another star forward and he's certainly on the brink of becoming a pretty major player for us. Started slowly but is hitting a patch of good form now, has 3 goals and 4 assists in 9 starts and 1 sub appearance.

wUiMPUX.png

After my excitement at the end of December with my assymetrical 3-at-the-back tactic, January was a dose of reality for us. It just didn't seem to work in any match against tough opposition, although we utterly obliterated Asteras Tripolis 5-0 again with it. But in matches against AEK, Panathinaikos, Olympiacos, we were just caught back under far too much pressure, and were unable to put our passing game on the ground. I cut my losses and realised that although this tactic was spectacular at breaking down deep blocks, it's not going to be the long term tactic for us.

So I went back to the drawing board and thought about what would be the best compromise for us. After a while, I settled on a diamond. The AF/A-CF/S duo comes back, because that was what gave us the most direct attacking power on the counter, the AF always effective but greatly helped by having a partner. Adding a #10 behind a pair of strikers, often seems to work spectacularly well for the AI, so I went for it as well, with the generic AM/S role to make him as neutral as possible, to avoid making him a ball magnet as a playmaker, neither a shadow striker who would clash too much with the attacking mezzala.

With a F9, the runners from midfield like the attacking mez shone, without it I knew they'd stop being the shining beacon of the tactic, so I toned it down, making his MC partner a BBM/S. It wasn't quite working thought, so I switched to a MEZ/S and that's nice, since he moves a little wide he helps out the more traditional WB on his flank. Behind them, without a trio of CBs, it was time to turn the DM into a Halfback, to facilitate playing from the back, and also make the midfield a little more conservative since we have one fewer defender.

And you know what? We're on 8 consecutive wins with this. Most of these matches were against weak sides, so I don't know how it'll do against big teams, though.

7e6cwCk.png

Oh and the league table. We're in a lonely 3rd at the moment. Catching Olympiacos for the 2nd CL slot isn't impossible, given the cut-throat nature of the championship group that starts now; but overtaking Panathinaikos for the title might be a stretch.

jpXIR3x.png

Edited by noikeee

One more deal before the Championship Group. We say goodbye to a player who has been here for a very long time! He was amazing for a while but by now there are so many RB/WBR options, we have to take a good deal for him.

Q4zh0AD.png

wPat9ny.png

l7RHmRy.png

92FFcqJ.png

0mhXgMA.png

No problems here neither, and it's another European quarterfinal, albeit this year it's just the Conference League and not the Europa League as we managed to reach last year. The striking partnership of Júlio César-David Samuel is looking LIT.

3CBv0DO.png

Lille await us, they've beaten Sevilla who were surely one of the favourites for the competition. Lille should be favourites for our tie, but if we advance, we face the winners of Young Boys v Atalanta.

2 hours ago, noikeee said:

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

awERuCR.png

CaL3IhU.png

The first leg, at home, was one of those classic tense-yet-open European ties. Lille took the opener, we then tried to break them down for a while until we managed to do it, we scored again, and then they equalised slightly against the run of play right before half-time. The 2nd half we mostly resisted them as they took an upper hand in the match. 2-2, decent result but a hard one to take to France.

However, in France, we benefitted from possibly the most inspired match so far in Jairo Cardozo's career. The Uruguayan midfielder who has been a bit of a peripheral figure of this team, played as AMC in here, took all his chances and bagged an hat-trick for a famous 3-0 win, which we'll happily take even if the xG numbers don't look that great for us, The club reaches our first European semi-final.

bNT9EeY.png

One of these clubs is not like the others. I expect the Milan-Crete air routes to be absolutely packed with people as everyone wants to go to Bergamo see this classic - and then the return leg at home.

Edited by noikeee

MHtiTkz.png

Finally we get the youth setup to a decent-ish level. We did have a very exciting prospect in this years intake (I'll show him at the end of the season), but I want more, pretty much nobody has made the first team since I'm here.

5FWDPGY.png

On the first leg, we were heavily tormented by creative midfielder Yusuf Yazici. Atalanta plan an upfront triangle much like us (AMC behind the 2 STs) and on this match the AMC was lethal. He snapped 2 goals and then added a 3rd through a penalty kick and Atalanta were running out clear 3-0 winners. At this stage it very much looked like our European adventure was over, but then 2 goals in quick succession by midfielders Van Gestel and Mateus opened everything up again, even if we went a goal down into the 2nd leg. We nearly made it 3-3 but Stefanov missed an injury time sitter...

oL0dd49.png

But on the second leg... well well well. We were inspired! Atalanta started well, but we gradually took a hold of the match, and striker David Samuel equalised the whole tie with a powerful, clinical low shot from just outside the area. And right after half-time, centerbacks Budan and Navarro combined in a set piece to put us in the lead. In the final minutes Atalanta pushed on, and had no less than 4 injury time chances, but could not score.

It is just UEFA's third division, sure. But we're into an European final!!!

y82nHYi.png

Posted (edited)

2027/2028 - The season is almost over but not just quite yet, update

Transfers

Long standing first team member Victor Maffeo left, as I've posted above a few posts ago. I have been busy lining up a few deals for next year, but we'll talk about it in due time.

MaRcGA5.png

We have found ourselves in the slightly bizarre situation of reaching an European final before winning any major domestic trophy in Greece - although we have been close, after finishing 2nd in the league in 2025 and 2026, having come 3rd last year, and having reached the cup final in 2026. I think we are not winning any Greek trophy this year neither, but the chance is still there - currently we find ourselves 5 points behind Olympiacos, and are about to face them. Win and the league is wide open again.

A key match was the entertaining 5-3 over Panathinaikos, in which we went 4-0 up almost to throw the match away, and which saw Julio Cesar score 3, Stefanov score 2 and Jairo Cardozo assist 4. With that one we passed Panathinaikos for 2nd place, although we nearly squandered it by losing to Kalamata right next. The other domestic match we lost was to Olympiacos, which doesn't bode super well for our chances of beating them at home and still snatching the title.

ihWoEKM.png

Edited by noikeee

rPafx8n.png

4uKeqZc.png

Not very exciting news, but it gives me hope that the new board won't just sell players for ****** fees behind my back, like the previous Egyptian president did a couple of times.

Posted (edited)

2027/28 - The there's only one match left to end the season update

KBOahYf.png

Ergotelis-Olympiacos, the one match that could either decide a champion or throw the title race wide open again..... I'm afraid it decided the champion. Much like the previous match against them, it was really tough, they were fired up, and eventually broke us down in the final minutes scoring twice. This mathematically crowned them champions and we were relegated to fighting Panathinaikos for the 2nd CL slot.

I had to rotate my side against PAOK, and it nearly cost us dearly there. We just about scrapped a 2-2 draw to go into the final match 1 point ahead of Pana.

And then on the final day, on what was essentially a Champions League playoff match, we won 5-1, that looks good doesn't it. Well it's totally misleading! Pana went 1-0 up through a penalty kick and we really struggled to get back into the match for a while, did equalise right before halftime, but then had to wait until their legs went in the final minutes and they completely disintegrated. We return to the Champions League qualifiers, let's see if this time we finally make the groups.

But before that... an European final ends the season.

cRWxnlp.png

Edited by noikeee

Posted (edited)

Munich, 24th of May 2028 - Europa Conference League Final

zchU7cm.png?1 

NqpcfXk.png n6cJH4R.png

First half

Minute 20: 20 minutes have gone by and absolutely nothing has happened!!

Minute 22: I spoke too soon! Tomiyasu wins the byline, crosses low for Julian Alvarez... GOAL FOR ARSENAL! 1-0!

lFAokFm.png

Minute 37: A very long run from deep by Saka... is dispossessed... the ball falls back to Odegaard... long throughball to Alvarez!! Saved by Panov!

Minute 39: We pass the ball around... suddenly Bamba plays a delicious throughball to Noreña who's into the area!! Parried by Ramsdale! David Samuel takes the rebound!!! Blocked!

Minute 45: We ping it around in midfield.. suddenly free space down the right wing, Noreña crosses to the penalty area!! Shot and it's parried! Another shot and it's parried! El Ouali shoots again and it's tipped up for a corner!! Loads of mayhem and the equaliser so close!!

Minute 45: Jairo Cardozo takes the ensuing corner... GOAL FOR ERGOTELIS, 1-1!! Júlio César has headed it in!!

OgFelMM.png

Half-time: Well this match started really poorly, then it looked like we had no chance as we went a goal down and we were doing nothing, and then suddenly in the last 10 minutes we burst to life. We're in the game here!

OqiB5qs.png

Edited by noikeee

Second half

Minute 48: Tierney to Smith-Rowe, dances down the flank, gains the byline, crosses low... OH NO IT'S A HUGE MISTAKE BY MIRKO BUDAN! GOAL FOR ARSENAL, 2-1, it's an own goal!!!

KOKEt90.png

Minute 50: Tierney to Smith-Rowe, crosses low, Alvarez is free!!! But he's tackled

Minute 55: Tomiyasu down the flank, passes it low to Saka... hacked by Bamba! The ref says it's a penalty!!!

VAR confirms it! Penalty for Arsenal!!

kEnhCZR.png

qZronHC.png

GOAL FOR ARSENAL, 3-1! Alvarez has taken it! We really look up against it now!

Minute 65: Van Gestel plays a long ball out left for El Ouali... the Belgian WB gains the byline and crosses... back to the head of Van Gestel... HITS THE POST!!!

Minute 80: By now we've replaced Noreña, Cardozo and David Samuel with Prekop, Jasarevic and Stefanov.

It's fullback-to-fullback, Tomiyasu, to Tierney. Crosses!! Alvarez heads wide!!!

Minute 85: Bamba to Prekop, finds El Ouali in the area... fires a low shot... saved by Ramsdale!

On the counter, Tierney crosses to Alvarez on the near post again!!! Tipped wide by Panov!!

Minute 88: Tomiyasu carries it... and carries it... super dangerous low cross to Bajrami.... wide!!!

Minute 92: Arsenal keep it in the corner passing the ball around themselves... Tomiyasu crosses it... GOAL FOR ARSENAL, 4-1! It's found McNeil's head!

DLNIE5x.png

Full time: I'm afraid we were really outclassed this 2nd half. The pitch seems super wide in the Allianz Arena here, and the Arsenal fullbacks constantly found space to create danger down the flanks - we just didn't have an answer to that, neither their total different level of ability. I guess we still did push them hard in the 1st half, so I feel like the final result is kind of harsh.

UIb8Mvi.png

Squad stats

Top players:

5. David Samuel (ST) - There would've been a decent argument for including midfielder Jairo Cardozo here, with a couple late season excellent performances; or pacey striker Lyubomir Stefanov who was electric early season; or wingback Johann Norenã who had a cautiously promising first season for the club; or midfielder-sold-behind-my-backs Mateus who got 10 goals and 8 assists total. I'm going for January signing David Samuel, our most expensive buy ever, who got 8 goals and 5 assists in half a season. Not super amazing but solid, and the talent is here to become a key player for the club.

4. Svenne van Gestel (MC) - Average rating isn't super high but with 10 goals and 13 assists, Svenne continued to be heavily influential, specially late in the season. PSG will continue to loan him to us and I don't mind.

3. Júlio César (ST) - A pretty crappy first half of the season, but he exploded later on when I switched to the 4-4-2 diamond. Scored so many late on that he just about beat his record from the previous 2 seasons (finished on 19 goals instead of 18), also grabbing 9 assists.

2. Mirko Budan (DC) - Solid as a rock, the Croatian centerback got the highest rating in the side (7.34) and also scored 5 goals.

1. Yann Bamba (DM) - A monster season from our Ivorian DM who is now the highest rated player in the side by my staff. 11 assists is a glorious output for a DM even if he often took corners - the defence-splitting throughballs were there as well.

Youth intake

Holy ****, we actually have a 5 star potential player this time.

Michalis Nikolaou (DC, DM) - Wonderful DM in the making. His stats aren't super high just yet, but he's also just 15. Cypriot nationality. By absolute miles the best prospect we've had yet.

Giannis Karakostas (MC, AMC) - A lot less potential but decent midfielder in the making with high mental stats.