[FM24] [WIP] Iron Curtain 1988 - If you rebuild it, it will come.

On 04/05/2023 at 02:27, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I am gradually coming to the conclusion that I have found myself getting more enjoyment out of the editor than actually playing the game. Maybe I'm "FM'd out". 😔

I've suspected this about myself for years, but would still get immense enjoyment out of a long-term save using my edited DB - so there was always a goal in mind.

Now, though, I can't get settled with the FM23 interface, and stuff like the Gold Cup qualifying bug means in-game immersion is essentially broken. So, I've accepted completely that editing is the fun part :lol:

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on 1 hour of playing the game compared to 3-4 hours in the editor. I will edited at least 10K in hours by now, with FM20, 21 and 22 being 6000 hours of that.

• 4 weeks later...

A few, I haven't worked much on it lately as I am waiting for my holiday to start. Instead of being outside of my homecountry I will be home though, so I will have time before July 1st to work on it. Finishing is still on the menu, the when remains a question. I know which files I will start when my holiday starts and the speed I am going through them will decide much.

9 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

A few, I haven't worked much on it lately as I am waiting for my holiday to start. Instead of being outside of my homecountry I will be home though, so I will have time before July 1st to work on it. Finishing is still on the menu, the when remains a question. I know which files I will start when my holiday starts and the speed I am going through them will decide much.

Thanks for the update, keep up the great work.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on holiday, so not much happening at the moment. Expecting to get more active after 4 July, because then my holiday ends and I am always more active in editing when I am at work ;)

Il 19/6/2023 in 20:35 , Wolf_pd ha scritto:

I am on holiday, so not much happening at the moment. Expecting to get more active after 4 July, because then my holiday ends and I am always more active in editing when I am at work ;)

take a rest, this is a long journey and you deserve it. Have a good time!

• 3 weeks later...

Working on Polish advanced rules tonight. Polish wikipedia is filled to the brim with football information, so getting the info I am looking for is easy.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, ivan1610 said:

@Wolf_pd

A little off topic.. I´m making a database for 87-88 season, and I was wondering if I could use some of your files that you made for FM 20? Thanks!

Depends a bit on what you have in mind. The thing is that some files only work if used together so best to PM me, so we can discuss.

Il y a 4 heures, josuts a dit :

what is that rule? i had never heard of it

If there's a draw at the end of the 90 minutes, there's a penalty shootout, the winning team gets the point and the losing team gets nothing, it was named after Slavko Sajber, the president of the Yugoslavian Federation at the time and first made an appearance in 1988-1989.

Also, is the 10 draw limit that existed in the Soviet Top League at the time (basically, if you had more than 10 draws in the season, you would get a 2-points penalty, it was made to prevent match-fixing draws but in Soviet fashion, it was sometimes 11 or even 12 draws limit and sometimes 10, with little to no consistency) is possible to make with the editor ?

Edited by teamemutest

12 hours ago, teamemutest said:

If there's a draw at the end of the 90 minutes, there's a penalty shootout, the winning team gets the point and the losing team gets nothing, it was named after Slavko Sajber, the president of the Yugoslavian Federation at the time and first made an appearance in 1988-1989.

Also, is the 10 draw limit that existed in the Soviet Top League at the time (basically, if you had more than 10 draws in the season, you would get a 2-points penalty, it was made to prevent match-fixing draws but in Soviet fashion, it was sometimes 11 or even 12 draws limit and sometimes 10, with little to no consistency) is possible to make with the editor ?

interestig! I had no idea that they had such rules!

17 hours ago, teamemutest said:

If there is an option for that in FM, I haven't been able to find it.

18 hours ago, teamemutest said:

Does Sajber Rule will be included for the Yugoslav First League ?

In FM20 I left it out, for FM22 the option is still on the table, but I am tending towards no.

Il y a 5 heures, Wolf_pd a dit :

In FM20 I left it out, for FM22 the option is still on the table, but I am tending towards no.

Maybe (don't know if it's possible) make 2 files, one with Sajber rule and one without for people who are desperate about this kind of realism :)

20 ore fa, teamemutest ha scritto:

Maybe (don't know if it's possible) make 2 files, one with Sajber rule and one without for people who are desperate about this kind of realism :)

If I remember correctly, MLS (or whatever it was called) used this rule in the 90s. it wasn't inspired by Yugoslavia obviously, but by a similar practice employed in ice hockey matches.

Edited by MBarbaric

2 hours ago, anitamui said:

yeah, what is this, Google doesn't help much

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988–89_Yugoslav_First_League

23 hours ago, teamemutest said:

Considering it is at most a few clicks to add or remove it, this is a suggestion I am on board with.

• 3 weeks later...

I am quietly contemplating moving the project from FM22 to FM24. That all depends on the quality of the FM24 editor of course, and would also mean a lot of cleanup in files.

For now it is a thought, not (yet) a decision.

Il y a 10 heures, Wolf_pd a dit :

I am quietly contemplating moving the project from FM22 to FM24. That all depends on the quality of the FM24 editor of course, and would also mean a lot of cleanup in files.

Will it be even possible without going back to square one ?

14 hours ago, teamemutest said:

Will it be even possible without going back to square one ?

I have been able to load some of the FM20 files into FM22 and 'upgrade' them like that. But you are right, there is a chance that upgrading them would prove to be too much work (or impossible) and that has been part of the thoughtprocess.

The biggest challenge will likely be cleaning up the transfer file, but that's datawork. Fixing competitions would be more of a headache.

Il 22/8/2023 in 11:25 , Wolf_pd ha scritto:

I was hoping you'd consider this option once the editor is released.

14 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

I was hoping you'd consider this option once the editor is released.

Everything I do right now is good for the project. If the editor is good enough and a few file conversions will tell me enough I would know if it is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the lack of updates, in the background we are working on checking our status and discussing the step towards FM24. We all agree that it is a good idea. The only thing we haven't decided on yet is which database version, 24.1, 24.3 or 24.4.

What's the intended year in the mod? Circa 1988/89 season? I suppose if FM24 starts in Sept. '23 it makes quickly converting people's ages a lot easier, just add 35 to people's DOBs :lol: also was the Warsaw Pact alive for 35 years? Appropriate anniversary then

I guess a lot will depend on the transferability and durability of DB changes - not just from FM22 to 24, but from 24.1 to 24.4. If it's an easier swap than anticipated, maybe you won't even have to choose a specific build, or at least only make minor tweaks for each patch

Il y a 20 heures, themodelcitizen a dit :

What's the intended year in the mod? Circa 1988/89 season? I suppose if FM24 starts in Sept. '23 it makes quickly converting people's ages a lot easier, just add 35 to people's DOBs :lol: also was the Warsaw Pact alive for 35 years? Appropriate anniversary then

I guess a lot will depend on the transferability and durability of DB changes - not just from FM22 to 24, but from 24.1 to 24.4. If it's an easier swap than anticipated, maybe you won't even have to choose a specific build, or at least only make minor tweaks for each patch

I think the Warsaw Pact lasted 36 years ;)

Edited by teamemutest

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/10/2023 at 21:03, teamemutest said:

Will the clubs banned from Yugoslavia be back ? (Not saying that just cause I'm watching Villa/Zrinjski)

No, Zrinjski and a few other teams are out.

The conversion strategy is pretty much worked out. Only point of thought is the start of the conversion, 24.1 or a later one. Obviously the later version we use the later we can start. For some files it will be easy to convert, for others it will be a lot of work. There are a few files that worry me (Concacaf anyone...), but most have been easily converted to FM23 as a test, so that's good. Some needed some minor adjustments and a few took a bit more time though so it won't be smooth sailing all around.

2 hours ago, teamemutest said:

About Israel, where do you put them ?

Because they were not in UEFA yet.

(Yeah, real life makes me ask a lot of questions about the mod :lol:)

Just like in Iron Curtain FM20 they are not in UEFA. They play in the Intertoto Cup (which they did in real life as well).

They played as an invite in OFC at the time, but since they changed pretty much every World Cup qualifier, I have left that out.

Em 22/08/2023 em 06:25, Wolf_pd disse:

a lot of work youve done, you decide. Is there much still to be done? Just afraid it might delay for too long. 

Obviously 24 will be well received

3 hours ago, Andreh68 said:

a lot of work youve done, you decide. Is there much still to be done? Just afraid it might delay for too long. 

Obviously 24 will be well received

The time needed in FM22 is slightly less than in FM24, because of the conversion issues that will arise. On the other hand, it will add the advantages of FM24 and the things that SI have shown make it an attractive prospect.

Em 13/10/2023 em 03:54, Wolf_pd disse:

The time needed in FM22 is slightly less than in FM24, because of the conversion issues that will arise. On the other hand, it will add the advantages of FM24 and the things that SI have shown make it an attractive prospect.

cool!

Grats and thanks.

52 minuti fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

Having played the first games in FM24, I am pretty sure it is a excellent idea to move to FM24. Too bad early acces doesn't give us the editor yet.

indeed, i buy the game every two or three years but I still play fm16. Bought this one, and it was really worth the wait. 

• Wolf_pd changed the title to [FM24] [WIP] Iron Curtain 1988 - If you rebuild it, it will come.

After the first reconnaissance of the FM24 editor there are a few issues that need to be addressed before release, including the short names not being able to change.

This would be mainly an issue for nations outside Europe as I could reuse Czechoslovakia if it was really needed. Still, not too cheery about that issue. There are some issues with loading editor competition files into the game. I have not yet started converting, but have planned some work on that tomorrow, so will likely see what happens then.