Ralf Rangnick Interiors

As a Manchester United fan, like many, I have become intregued to Ralf Rangnick styles of football.

After watching the YouTube video that is attached, the 4222 box formation. The 2 players on the am strata are what the YouTube guy calls "interiors".

So, how would you implement them in football manager? Probably can not directly be added. It seems without the ball they line up narrow, so that's how they need to be positioned in a formation as a formation is how a team lines up without the ball.

In possession they drift wide as and when required.

What roles and player instructions would replicate this as best as possible. 

Just curious and looking to replicate the gengen press in that box formation.

IW or IF in the midfield or wing positions along with sit narrower. Someone like Forsberg was potentially an AP I guess. RBL always used to defend as a 4-4-2 and the box was an 'in possession' occurrence.

Edited by yellowforever

Thankyou for replies.

It seems without the ball the interiors line up narrow, that's how a formation is set, how you line up without the ball.

So really they need to be set as amc to replicate that.

Closest that I can think is Shadow Striker, so they are part of the central shape but set to run wide when player has ball and when the team has the ball, stay wider.

Still not getting great width, maybe because of team width. 2 shadow striker's do work well though behind a pressing forward attack and target forward attack.

Obviously very attacking, which is what I want.

I’m going to try the 2 player’s on am strata on attacking midfielders. Player instructions to get them wide and see from there.

without the ball they have to tuck in to play that 4222 box. Setting them as inside forward or inverted wingers doesn’t work. No player instructions to run wide with ball, can get them to sit wider.

i will experiment and see

maybe mezala on mc strata is an option.

I will try that and monitor if they position wide when having the ball

vor 2 Stunden schrieb g4ddy79:

I’m going to try the 2 player’s on am strata on attacking midfielders. Player instructions to get them wide and see from there.

without the ball they have to tuck in to play that 4222 box. Setting them as inside forward or inverted wingers doesn’t work. No player instructions to run wide with ball, can get them to sit wider.

i will experiment and see

maybe mezala on mc strata is an option.

I will try that and monitor if they position wide when having the ball

they always defended as 4-4-2 or 4-2-4  not a narrow box, I don't know where you get this from. But he'll rather play 4-3-1-2 which you could somewhat see against Chelsea only with McTominay slotting in to the 5 to help against the Wing-Back runs. But it's hard to judge how much was Carrick and how much he told him to do. But I doubt it will be 4-2-2-2 as Bruno would be wasted and Rangnick saw that it doesn't work against parkes busses in 2015 and 2018 and they only play bad teams until like February.

35 minutes ago, Gdansk said:

they always defended as 4-4-2 or 4-2-4  not a narrow box, I don't know where you get this from. But he'll rather play 4-3-1-2 which you could somewhat see against Chelsea only with McTominay slotting in to the 5 to help against the Wing-Back runs. But it's hard to judge how much was Carrick and how much he told him to do. But I doubt it will be 4-2-2-2 as Bruno would be wasted and Rangnick saw that it doesn't work against parkes busses in 2015 and 2018 and they only play bad teams until like February.

There was an analysis on Sky Sports news and was intrigued to imply it. They described it that Bruno and Sancho would play the roles and how much ground they would have to cover

vor 4 Minuten schrieb g4ddy79:

There was an analysis on Sky Sports news and was intrigued to imply it. They described it that Bruno and Sancho would play the roles and how much ground they would have to cover

Do you see Bruno defending as LM? I doubt it. I don't know what they said their but it's definitely not what you will see in FM when you put these in the AMCR/AMCL position.

jock.JPG.5c8336ce0a38f750da41828a4d0dd9a9.JPG

12 minutes ago, Gdansk said:

Do you see Bruno defending as LM? I doubt it. I don't know what they said their but it's definitely not what you will see in FM when you put these in the AMCR/AMCL position.

jock.JPG.5c8336ce0a38f750da41828a4d0dd9a9.JPG

I agree, just think there is a lot of ifs and buts at the min. Can’t wait to get to old Trafford and see it though. 

like I said, just intrigued by the role if it exists etc and wondered if could be implemented 

This is my version of Rangnick's 4-2-2-2, it's probably not an exact replication (as I wasn't really trying to replicate it) but it was heavily inspired by it.

spacer.png

BPDs to encourage CBs to hit those long balls, AP-A on both flanks with Roam From Position and Sit Narrower, BMW-S has Comes Deep To Get The Ball.

I've won the EL and Ligue 1 with Rennes using this tactic, so it does work.

It's impossible to recreate that kind of a pressing system in game, especially in the current ME.

Note that my players have amazing work rate and stamina (Everyone except Balerdi and Santamaria have 15 or more), which you will need to play this kind of system.

What I don't understand with Ralf in game (not in real life) is the use of SS, PF and IF together. It's more 4-2-3-1 with SS in AMCR and PF At at STCL, because of 5 in width or it's more 424 with 2 IF - 2 PF and one in Su and according to opp. drops it to AMC strata as SS? Hmmm

13 hours ago, Gdansk said:

I think the guy called Bustthenet has proven enough that tactical familarity is useless but when you start a save with City and play Community Shield you shouldnt get smacked in the face and dominated with 2.5xg by Leicester if this was a serious 106 points tactic.

I'm pretty certain Bustthenet ( @Rashidi) strives to get tactical familiarity as soon as possible and bases training around this, unless that is,  he has completely changed his tune in the last couple of days. So going on that point alone, you are talking horse!

I'm still not arguing against what you are saying about RDF but I'm fairly active across the FM community and don't believe this is known. Are you using the training schedules he uses?

I've been using wide playmakers - they get into the half space more consistently than any other wide role, provide a goal threat and allow you to defend in a 4-4-2 shape. I get the 4-2-2-2 shape in attack by using relatively conservative roles in central midfield to give the interiors more space to go into, and using Fairly Narrow - that usually gets the front 4, plus occasionally the less conservative midfielder, to attack the width of the 6 yard box.

That leads to some very nice eye-of-the-needle play to get in the box. Probably more important to a Rangnick recreation is that it means we counter-press very effectively, since the forwards, interiors and BWM(s) are usually about 15 yards apart if an attack breaks down - means we either win it straight back or force a long ball out. 

image.png.d31e8e49ea5988fb14c110679b0a7e9c.png

Incredibly harsh to blame any of our community of cheating without proof but I know someone who definitely doesn't cheat and that is Rashidi and he has a new vid out out on YouTube covering Rangnick.

On 02/12/2021 at 16:49, Trevomac said:

I'm pretty certain Bustthenet ( @Rashidi) strives to get tactical familiarity as soon as possible and bases training around this, unless that is,  he has completely changed his tune in the last couple of days. So going on that point alone, you are talking horse!

I'm still not arguing against what you are saying about RDF but I'm fairly active across the FM community and don't believe this is known. Are you using the training schedules he uses?

I won't; say that tactical familiarity is useless. I don't care much for it, and I have done saves for fun (Hot Potato Challenge) on my discord where everyone is given a challenge. They take one team for one month in game and have to play a different tactic, then they hand it to the next manager who makes another formation does it for another month. Ultimately as many as 10 formations get used. That was done to remove peoples' fear of changing formations.

Essentially in the game itself, players gain tactical familiarity, but its more nuanced than that. Personally in my saves i use a training schedule in preseason that builds tactical familiarity up as well and then switch to my complete training schedule for the rest of the season.  I am more comfortable than the ordinary person being a tinker man. I just stopped being a tinker man in FM22, because  it was bordering on the ridiculous.

I’m at old Trafford now and out of possession he’s playing the 4222 box as I thought he would. Hence the post.

He’s proved a few of us wrong 😜

so formation requires them to be set as amc or mc then go wider when in possession 

question is the same, can it be replicated 

remember a formation is how a team line up without the ball, not with

24 minutes ago, g4ddy79 said:

I am also watching it now and it looks like a 4-4-2 or 4-2-4, maybe the deep midfielders as DMs. Defending Narrow.

Edited by yellowforever

1 hour ago, g4ddy79 said:

I’m at old Trafford now and out of possession he’s playing the 4222 box as I thought he would. Hence the post.

He’s proved a few of us wrong 😜

so formation requires them to be set as amc or mc then go wider when in possession 

question is the same, can it be replicated 

Sorry but I'm not sure that's correct.

In attack you could obviously point out the front 4, with wingbacks providing width. McFred were playing as DMs or CMs . So when the team loses the ball they're in position to counterpress and the attacking shape helps them with that, which is why it might look like a 4-2-2-2. But if they fail to win the ball they retreat into a 4-4-2, with Fred often stepping out to close down their CBs.

Sancho and Bruno without possession sitting narrow

That’s easily replicated obviously in the game base formation 4222 box.

it’s what roles best to make the attacking central midfield player go wide in possession like they did today.

the seats we were in you can clearly see the pattern of play 4222 narrow out of possession. 

Sancho and Bruno without possession sitting narrow

That’s easily replicated obviously in the game base formation 4222 box.

it’s what roles best to make the attacking central midfield player go wide in possession like they did today.

the seats we were in you can clearly see the pattern of play 4222 narrow out of possession. 

I agree that it's not a flat 4-4-2, but if you had set it up in game as a 4-2-2-2, the AMs would stay very narrow in defense, sit on top of the CMs and probably wouldn't cover the flanks. Bruno and Sancho were putting pressure and closing down players on the flank as well, and they kinda stayed in the channel.

Here's that tackle on Fred. Bruno is at the bottom (right side), McTomminay and Fred in the middle, Sancho is on the top (the left flank) and Rashford is central.

9e174cc68a0a045ecbff2d2a7c2534a7.png

Edited by (sic)

0564495C-B8A7-4662-B145-4E93624334FD.thumb.jpeg.aa12eda51d2cf0ff1fe54641c6254542.jpegHe had Ronaldo and Rashford up front. Bruno Fernandes started out on the left flank, would drift inside and invert which is what RR has done with most of his previous formations. On the other flank he had Sancho. When the ball goes wide the forward on that side supported play, Fernandes would move inside for the wingback to overlap.

Fernandes would also swap to the other flank. It’s pretty easy to set that up on FM just tell the IW to sit narrow. United did struggle after the 50th min Fernandes who by then was on the right flank could frequently be urging his teammates to close the lines and reduce the distance between the strikers and defence. Their pressing was becoming less effective. Sancho is going to struggle in this set up, he’s not naturally a player who picks out threats as evidenced with the large number of misplaced passes he was making.  Fernandes could thrive.

If one plays the box the Brazilian way with 2 AMs it won’t defend as a 442 but if you play it with narrow inverted wingers, it definitely will.

45 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

He had Ronaldo and Rashford up front. Bruno Fernandes started out on the left flank, would drift inside and invert which is what RR has done with most of his previous formations. On the other flank he had Sancho. When the ball goes wide the forward on that side supported play, Fernandes would move inside for the wingback to overlap.

Fernandes would also swap to the other flank. It’s pretty easy to set that up on FM just tell the IW to sit narrow. United did struggle after the 50th min Fernandes who by then was on the right flank could frequently be urging his teammates to close the lines and reduce the distance between the strikers and defence. Their pressing was becoming less effective. Sancho is going to struggle in this set up, he’s not naturally a player who picks out threats as evidenced with the large number of misplaced passes he was making.  Fernandes could thrive.

If one plays the box the Brazilian way with 2 AMs it won’t defend as a 442 but if you play it with narrow inverted wingers, it definitely will.

Exactly this. Their pressing and forcing errors from CBs in the first half was nice to watch, but it definitely looked like they stopped doing that in the 2nd half. Sancho and Fernandes were all over the pitch, so in game I'd probably have them with Roam From Position instruction.

The best way to replicate it in game is definitely the 4-4-2 or 4-2-4 formation, for the exact reason you mentioned and also as I've mentioned before.

The one issue I see, is that in FM wide players don't cut inside until later in attack (usually when the play reaches the final third).

In real life, they do it much sooner, as you can tell from that screenshot.

They really are playing as something between an AM and a IW, so it's tricky to make an exact replication in game.

Edit: Possibly having Move Into Channels on wide players would help?

Edited by (sic)

It’s got an interesting positive debate.

exciting times for us United fans. 

Roll on Wednesday night, see what happens then. Would surely think stick with the same formation, it needs to gel. Absolutely no room for pogba in my opinion, carry him the best of times.

any way, football manager. I will have an experiment tomorrow, 

I'm even more convinced of the wide playmaker role after that - particularly when Bruno was on the left flank. 

He had more attempted passes playing off the wing today than he's had in any match this season as a 10. The team heatmap also shows a pretty heavy left-sided bias, so you'd probably be looking at a wide playmaker, with focus play and an overlap on that side. I'd maybe still consider a wide playmaker on the other side, as there were several times when Sancho came over to the left to combine with Bruno. I'm not sure there's any PI you can give an inverted winger that will give you that same level of lateral movement, particularly in the buildup.

In FM, I think having the forwards set to stretch the backline works very well creating space for the interiors to drift into. For me, Bruno and Sancho are having a hell of a time with an AF/CF(a) combo in front of them. From today's match it was a bit difficult to tell what Rashford was trying to do, since he struggled to make much impact. I'd guess his intention was to help build play on the left and then offer an option in behind, but as I say, he really seemed to struggle.

By the way, found it really interesting that in Rangnick's post-match interview, he spoke about getting players in their best positions, and immediately followed it up by talking about Ronaldo having someone up alongside him, sticking close. Sounds like he'll definitely be sticking with 2 up top, so this 442/4222 seems the one. You could probably infer something about the most suitable forward roles from that as well, but I'm not sure what.

16 hours ago, g4ddy79 said:

Ralf on Match of the day just said about them playing in the semi position. So I’ll take his words that’s how they are supposed to be.

maybe a new future role.

he said he played with two tens drifting out wide i thought

Edited by latrell

2 hours ago, latrell said:

i personally see it as a 4 2 2 2 with two amc's with them moving into half spaces i think fm needs to create a new role.

Deffo a new role, but where do they start and stop what to add. Be good though won’t it.

As Ralf said they are semi so in between wing and amc.

Maybe as attacking midfield on attack but marking the opposition full Back could replicate, would need to try.

Deffo a new role, but where do they start and stop what to add. Be good though won’t it.

As Ralf said they are semi so in between wing and amc.

Maybe as attacking midfield on attack but marking the opposition full Back could replicate, would need to try.

maybe just a option of using a mezzala in the amc position as it does mean half winger ive always thought the ramdeuter should be a option in the amc role as the man who invented it plays in the amc role.    

14 hours ago, latrell said:

maybe just a option of using a mezzala in the amc position as it does mean half winger ive always thought the ramdeuter should be a option in the amc role as the man who invented it plays in the amc role.    

A mezzala does the opposite of what you want, defends narrow and then attacks half-spaces. The wide-playmaker or wide midfielder do the role fine.

So I've been playing different versions, a 4-4-2, a 4-2-4, and now 4-2-2-2.

This is the latest version I'm trying out, both AMs are told to mark the specific opponent (usually the fullbacks on their side) roam from position and to stay wider. They are playing exactly as I want them to, they occupy that half space, from there they can drift wide to support play or make runs inside if one of the forwards move into the channel. In defence they stay on opposition fullbacks, if they push high they will follow them, if one of them stays behind, they offer another player forward (along the 2 strikers) for the counter-attacks.

The only time the formation actually looks like this, is when GK distributes the ball long. At no other point does the formation look this narrow and boring, AMs are actually playing like a mix of a regular AM and a wide player like IW.

In the final third they form a front 4, with 2 Wingbacks providing all the width. Usually the DMs will come to support the Wingbacks if they are isolated in the corner or if the have no options to cross, but also sometimes the AMs will help out as well.

In the middle third AM-s work amazingly, like I've said, they would drift wide to receive the ball when needed. Also they do cut inside naturally if you set them up as you would set up inside forwards (left AMs with stronger right foot and stronger left foot for the right AM). They also make runs behind the defence and help out with buildup.

spacer.png

I've tried this setup and working well for me.

1314851312_2021-12-0717_38_26-FootballManager2022.png.7f31ff067c6948c83de402ce7467082f.png

Here we in in a defensive phase situation with the ball central. Bruno and Rashford are the wide players.772115666_2021-12-0717_13_43-FootballManager2022.thumb.png.4c8f698c5be466d47f22243b3bb1dc7e.png

And an example in defensive phase with ball in wide area.

1169971871_2021-12-0717_15_33-FootballManager2022.png.470125ef035ae6146182e0bad5587c31.png

Here is an attacking example. Greenwood came short, played to Fred and Fred played a ball over the top to Martial. Amad and Rashford the wide players here and very narrow.

23245835_2021-12-0716_45_39-FootballManager2022.png.0504a44834f3a5a0fb7391784b9f38a7.png

1 hour ago, YAMS said:

Basically FM needs a 'wide 10' role, many teams now play dual wide 10's, Chelsea under Tuchel have been doing it since he joined. It's a role the game currently doesn't cater for. 

But there are currently 3 different roles that are effectively named as "wide 10s" - the wide playmaker in the MF strata, and the advanced playmaker or trequartista in the AM strata, played wide. Modified wide midfielders or inverted wingers can also be wide 10s, with the right setup and personnel. 

You can also add stay wider to any AM that's off-centre, as @(sic) has done above, if you're wanting them to move the other way. Or you've got mezzalas in the MF strata. 

So that's 9 different options for a "wide 10" role already. And that's not accounting for variation in duties either. 

11 minutes ago, vrig said:

But there are currently 3 different roles that are effectively named as "wide 10s" - the wide playmaker in the MF strata, and the advanced playmaker or trequartista in the AM strata, played wide. Modified wide midfielders or inverted wingers can also be wide 10s, with the right setup and personnel. 

You can also add stay wider to any AM that's off-centre, as @(sic) has done above, if you're wanting them to move the other way. Or you've got mezzalas in the MF strata. 

So that's 9 different options for a "wide 10" role already. And that's not accounting for variation in duties either. 

None of what you've described do the role properly. The closest is the AMS in the AM position but they don't start wide enough. Basically you need a role that sits or starts in the actual channel on the AM strata. This is what a 'wide 10' truly is. It's a role FM cannot do at the moment, it needs adding to the game. 

As a further example the Carrielo should also be used in this starting channel position but obviously on the CM strata. Carrielo's actually sit too narrow in the CM strata, even with 3 CM's. 

6 minutes ago, YAMS said:

None of what you've described do the role properly. The closest is the AMS in the AM position but they don't start wide enough. Basically you need a role that sits or starts in the actual channel on the AM strata. This is what a 'wide 10' truly is. It's a role FM cannot do at the moment, it needs adding to the game. 

As a further example the Carrielo should also be used in this starting channel position but obviously on the CM strata. Carrielo's actually sit too narrow in the CM strata, even with 3 CM's. 

Can you clarify what you mean by "starts in the actual channel"? My wide playmakers always get there when we have the ball, and they're there to counterpress on transition. 

Are you specifically saying that you want a role that defends exclusively in the half space? Personally, I wouldn't really want them doing that, nor do I think that's what Rangnick's interiors do. 

1 hour ago, vrig said:

Can you clarify what you mean by "starts in the actual channel"? My wide playmakers always get there when we have the ball, and they're there to counterpress on transition. 

Are you specifically saying that you want a role that defends exclusively in the half space? Personally, I wouldn't really want them doing that, nor do I think that's what Rangnick's interiors do. 

You've answered your question with your first sentence. 'My wide playmakers always GET there where we have the ball'. Wide 10's actually START in that position as a base shape & then move around from there if needed. So they start in the half space/channel, this would be their 'base' position. FM cannot do this. 

30 minutes ago, YAMS said:

Presume you play two AM-S with Stay Wider & Moves Into Channel instruction? Do you use Roam From Position & Runs Wide With Ball as well?

You can't select both Stay Wider and Move into channels. But yes, I use Roam from Position on both players.

No.8 and No.11 are my AMs, 9 and 10 strikers, 2 and 3 Wingbacks, 6 and 7 DMs. Strikers are wider in the first screenshot for some reason even though I'm playing narrower, but the AMs are wider than them as you can see and they occupy the space between the strikers and WBs when they push high.

178235276_example1.jpg.dcba504cb31359557a972476b20cb4b2.jpg266837132_example2.jpg.08c1dc0fa74781320c5618a9c89de47e.jpg21766215_example3.png.5207ace23d44adeb75eecfb0ed6704ec.png

Edited by (sic)

9 hours ago, (sic) said:

So I've been playing different versions, a 4-4-2, a 4-2-4, and now 4-2-2-2.

This is the latest version I'm trying out, both AMs are told to mark the specific opponent (usually the fullbacks on their side) roam from position and to stay wider. They are playing exactly as I want them to, they occupy that half space, from there they can drift wide to support play or make runs inside if one of the forwards move into the channel. In defence they stay on opposition fullbacks, if they push high they will follow them, if one of them stays behind, they offer another player forward (along the 2 strikers) for the counter-attacks.

The only time the formation actually looks like this, is when GK distributes the ball long. At no other point does the formation look this narrow and boring, AMs are actually playing like a mix of a regular AM and a wide player like IW.

In the final third they form a front 4, with 2 Wingbacks providing all the width. Usually the DMs will come to support the Wingbacks if they are isolated in the corner or if the have no options to cross, but also sometimes the AMs will help out as well.

In the middle third AM-s work amazingly, like I've said, they would drift wide to receive the ball when needed. Also they do cut inside naturally if you set them up as you would set up inside forwards (left AMs with stronger right foot and stronger left foot for the right AM). They also make runs behind the defence and help out with buildup.

spacer.png

Brilliant 

I’ll have to get back on the laptop and try myself.

ralf even said today they were both number 10’s, the other day in the semi position. So he definitely confirms they weren’t wingers.

How are you defending on the flanks. Would you force inside, I to the trap of a over powering central midfield?

29 minutes ago, (sic) said:

You can't select both Stay Wider and Move into channels. But yes, I use Roam from Position on both players.

No.8 and No.11 are my AMs, 9 and 10 strikers, 2 and 3 Wingbacks, 6 and 7 DMs. Strikers are wider in the first screenshot for some reason even though I'm playing narrower, but the AMs are wider than them as you can see and they occupy the space between the strikers and WBs when they push high.

Ok, that looks pretty much perfect. Thank you for this. So you use roam from position and either stays wider or moves in to channels, do you use gets forward & runs wide with ball as well? I'd like to try to perfectly replicate this. 

46 minutes ago, YAMS said:

You've answered your question with your first sentence. 'My wide playmakers always GET there where we have the ball'. Wide 10's actually START in that position as a base shape & then move around from there if needed. So they start in the half space/channel, this would be their 'base' position. FM cannot do this. 

This is why I asked what you mean by starting position. Had you read on, you may have noticed a question as to whether you want them to exclusively defend in the half space. That is the only way they would already be in the half space before the team has possession.

This isn't what Rangnick's interiors do, and it's not what I would want to do, as it would just be surrendering the flanks if the initial counterpress fails.

See @Rashidi's screenshot above, where Bruno and Sancho have moved into the half space in possession - they haven't stood there waiting for the team to win the ball and then vacated the half spaces; they've gone in and attacked them. 

Rangnick's interiors are 10's when the team is in possession. They're then narrow for a counterpress, and if that fails they take up flank positions in a 442 shape. That's probably why he also said in his interview that Bruno and Sancho had the most physically demanding roles in the team - they have a lot to do.

If you don't want to replicate that particular aspect of the shape, I'd still say that off-centre AM with stay wider and a few other PI's would do the strictly attacking part of the tactic well enough. Plenty of roles to play with :)