[FM22] The Great San Marino Challenge

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2035 Champions League now won. I was expecting more of a fight from Man Utd but it never came. It was our first final having lost to Liverpool in the semis in 2034 and Man Utd at the same level in 2033. We beat Liverpool in the semis this year. 

Time to start seeing what the youth academy can kick out. 5 of our CL-winning bench are academy graduates, so that's encouraging. Having said that, I played the final with my 3rd choice right back, 2nd choice left back, and one of my star strikers was out injured too. 

And Sandro Tonali. What a hero. 34-year-old Sandro Tonali came in during January when Bayern Munich made me an above-market offer for my DLP and he came in for £8m and was brilliant. 15 assists in 22 games, 7 goals. First time he had won the CL as well after a career with Milan, Chelsea, and Barcelona. He was injured for the final too but he made a brilliant contribution to help us get there. 

369241490_Screenshot2022-02-09at20_12_271.thumb.png.629faaf5f5e8c49c315a5478b019cdb1.png

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

You've done it?  I knew you had a real shot!  :applause:

Thanks! Yeah, sealed the deal in 2038. Won everything at club level now too, just Euros and Nations League to chalk off with the NT then I’ll have to decide what I’ll do next… either quit the save, carry on as is, or maybe continue but with a Sammarinese club. 

9 hours ago, TacticalGenius said:

Thanks! Yeah, sealed the deal in 2038. Won everything at club level now too, just Euros and Nations League to chalk off with the NT then I’ll have to decide what I’ll do next… either quit the save, carry on as is, or maybe continue but with a Sammarinese club. 

Outstanding - well played!  I'm taking it your Victor youth intakes had enough there to push the NT on?

I found it's hard to find a save that compares to this challenge - I spent a lot of time in FM20 and 21 searching and didn't get very far.  I wanted to win everything with San Marino Calcio in FM19 with a 100% Sammarinese squad, but my youth intakes weren't good enough.

Not to worry everyone but wanted to let you know my Serie A fixtures didn't generate in 2035/36 - no idea why. Everything else has, just not the league. I holidayed forward a season to see if it fixed itself and it did generate 2036/37 fixtures so fingers crossed it works. 

I'm putting it down as some sort of Italian FA scandal. Or a protest that a team from San Marino is dominating Serie A. 

Hopefully it won't mess up anything else. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2022 at 08:34, duesouth said:

Claassen's is the one most of us are using - but I don't believe it's on Steam any longer.  I'll DM you the file tonight (hopefully I'll remember :kriss:!).

Would anyone be able to DM me the database file also? Would be greatly appreciated <3

On 11/02/2022 at 17:57, TheJonsterMonster said:

Not to worry everyone but wanted to let you know my Serie A fixtures didn't generate in 2035/36 - no idea why. Everything else has, just not the league. I holidayed forward a season to see if it fixed itself and it did generate 2036/37 fixtures so fingers crossed it works. 

I'm putting it down as some sort of Italian FA scandal. Or a protest that a team from San Marino is dominating Serie A. 

Hopefully it won't mess up anything else. 

Just to confirm that the 2036/37 season played out fine with no issues. It's really odd - the 2035/36 league season just doesn't exist. 

I have a love/hate relationship with the new board, though. They've put in the 'spend the whole of the transfer budget' club objective which is the antithesis of becoming a wonderkid factory. I scout the world, bring them in cheap, and sell them high. 

Starting to have some decent youngsters popping up now. There's a future Serie A standard striker and a decent midfielder that have popped up in the last couple of seasons. Hopefully they're the national team's future. We might break into the Top 100 this season. 

On 04/02/2022 at 08:34, duesouth said:

Claassen's is the one most of us are using - but I don't believe it's on Steam any longer.  I'll DM you the file tonight (hopefully I'll remember :kriss:!).

Would someone be able to send me the file or post it on the forum?

Season 2026/27

San Marino National Team

I was just hoping to avoid relegation in Nations League Div C - but I was shocked as we won the league and got promoted!  We were excellent at the back, conceding just 1 goal in the 6 games.  Not quite sure where it came from and think we might struggle in Div B - but I'll take it for now.

In Euros qualifying, we had our toughest game first, away to Serbia and lost 3-1.  In truth, it should have been 5 or 6 as we were outclassed - and our goal was a late one.  However, we beat our old friends Kazakhstan twice in back-to-back games to sit 2nd in the group.  Also in our group are Ukraine (who have had a slow start, but have a game in hand) and Northern Ireland.  We play both in early September and that will give me a much better idea whether we can cause a shock and qualify for a major tournament, but I think it might be a touch too soon...  We're 138th in the world rankings.

1635937686_SanMarinoNT20262Results.jpg.c56eb80011bd2405c41b294cc0dd3e44.jpg

1882329457_NationsLeagueDivC2026.jpg.293d9f66443eabd14ddef811d2f4ba22.jpg

1361207652_SanMarinoNT20271Results.jpg.cab95cfa5667b938f901f12a67c2a519.jpg

Victor San Marino

For a few weeks, we were in the top 4 - claiming our first two big scalps of the save, beating Lazio at home and then AC Milan away from home in back-to-back games.  Our best form was in December, but after the break it was more hit and miss.  Still, we managed to hang on for 7th place and a place in Conference League.  We finally were able to get Nicola Nanni to sign for the club and he rewarded our faith in him with 17 goals.  Recruitment is tough, we again relied heavily on the loan market with 7 loanees.  I want to make the club more permanent, but getting good players to sign for us is very difficult - hopefully being in Europe will increase the club's reputation and make that easier.  Our best player for the second season in a row was our keeper, who is our player after being with us for our Serie B promotion campaign on loan and getting released with zero interest from elsewhere.  Those are the players we somehow have to find.

Finally, work on our new stadium has begun - it will take 2 years, but we'll have a 18,717 capacity stadium.  Our training facilities are now great - the other 3 are maxed out.  We were taken over by a Qatari group, so tons of money in the bank, even with all the work on facilities and the new stadium.  Unfortunately, "sign Sammarinese players" has come back into the club vision - and I am not happy at all about that.

418559778_VictorSummary20262027.thumb.jpg.6490bd63245f6b2172fa99228e12c2b0.jpg

1814415686_SerieA20262027.jpg.4faef2f7f4fe93936974b0dec05ad457.jpg

Youth Intake

Not bad - not amazing, but a step in the right direction.  All the dual players have agreed to play for us - the midfielder Zanotti wasn't sure, but saw the light and made his debut against Kazakhstan.

2100961814_VictorYouthIntake2027.jpg.facf652ccd238ed8969e26c0f3e43506.jpg

Cosmos

Not only did we go undefeated in the league, we won every single game!!!  We drew a couple of cup legs, but were undefeated there as well.  Unfortunately, in Europe we took a step back.  Out in the 3rd quals of the Champions League (to Astana), straight out of the Europa League in the playoff (to Rizespor) and therefore in the Conference League Group Stage.  We managed only 2 draws and finished joint last with 2 points.  Maritimo topped the group with 18 points and SV Ried were second with 12.  I wasn't pleased.

Facilities are looking good, youth facilities are excellent, training superb and junior coaching/youth recruitment both at max.  There's not as much money in the bank due to this and also a new 4,872 stadium that work has just started on.  Personally, I would rather not have bothered as it's not big enough to play our big European games in (we play them at San Marino Stadium) and I'd rather put the money into facilities.

Bonkers numbers from Jacopo Canti who has been with us since the start (signed as a free agent in season 1), he's come on and had several 10 out of 10 performances, He's rated as a one star player by my assistant, but he's one of those who just keeps doing the business - to the point where he made his National Team debut... and scored.

439554920_CosmosSummary20262027.thumb.jpg.c13d3bad7c5b88b907447a7afcda3aac.jpg

631746080_CosmosUndefeated20262027.jpg.aef8024c5c9ddba8d848221c1cc2a4ee.jpg

1212560525_CosmosUndefeated20262027P2.jpg.0f2674e8e6d6bb75a23f5fcd85b26de0.jpg

1592624016_CosmosUndefeated20262027P3.jpg.8dfb5fc17fc34c6a03356ac1fad3718d.jpg

Youth Intake

I played a lot of seasons in FM19 with San Giovanni and I don't recall an intake as good as this one.  Check out this little lot!!  2 Italians, but otherwise Sammarinese (and all the duals have agreed to play for San Marino) - I signed the lot of them.  Striker Pedini is the worst of the bunch, but with good determination, he might surprise.  I'm going to take some time with contract decisions, but I expect some of these to be in our squad next season.

1672775432_CosmosYouthIntake2027.jpg.56f3e9e5e37aa9430a5056aded9b2527.jpg

Achievements

@6499red National Team - Get promoted from Nations League C

Victor San Marino - Qualify for Europe

Cosmos - Go undefeated in the League (including playoff)

Champions League season 11

e6ea0453394fdde2c05488ce01b9ff7d.png

I am almost finished with season 11 at Folgore. This was our year, we qualified for the Champions League Group stage earning us €14,8 million. The road was good, FC Haka gave us surprisingly the most trouble. Even AEK was no match for us!

Group stage

db28a4f22077eb6b843bbb265f0a4de4.png

Rangers won their first game against Manchester United and it looked quite bad. Untill we won in Scotland. They also drew in the game against Bayern so in the last game we had to win. We did! We were 4-1 up. That means we ended on the 3th place and we go to the Europa League

d9d2be10862a362d6471b2353b05da8b.png

Europa League

ac677cc4e618d2a76f65eaed384d9a65.png

In the Europa League we played against Austria Wien. Both teams were equal wich resulted in a penalty shootout. We lost that shootout onfortunately but our European campaign was very good. I'm excited for the future

@6499red

Qualify for the group stage of the Champions League:

Edited by Thomassje123

Good news

1471d60b1ecae79279b3f12ea125c7e4.png

bde4456448bf0b57283649a1ab820193.png

bb76e15def14f586c4be103e9161b708.png

65af01a0ce282ac369533cfd23ac2678.png

8aa95c88ec07920376aaa2b870b93944.png

29f28988f6f90ff2c12f49ad580a6900.png

5e591d4bab5a73179432154ade8b11b3.png

Including us 8 out of 15 Sanmarinese clubs are professional, a really good development!!!

Bad news

e8995a1068f49cdeff30095cbc6106ca.png

Victor San Marino is in trouble, they are about to relegate in the Serie E. In the editor I made them a affiliate because I couldn't get one for 8 seasons and I really need one

Edited by Thomassje123

Claasen's Italy file isn't on the workshop but the San Marino one is. Can someone send me the Italy one as the link above says it's unavailable, and I don't want to use a database created by someone else along side Claasen's San Marino one. Cheers.

1 hour ago, haneman85 said:

can you get this to work with the new update?

When you start a new game, you have to set the database version back to the original one.  Either that, or validate it via the pre-game Editor and then save it.

3 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Claasen's Italy file isn't on the workshop but the San Marino one is. Can someone send me the Italy one as the link above says it's unavailable, and I don't want to use a database created by someone else along side Claasen's San Marino one. Cheers.

It's a few posts up - Thursday at 16:34 - it hasn't been validated for the new database update though.

40 minutes ago, haneman85 said:

it can not be validated in the editor, there is a problem with u 20 league

It's because of the newest update, you'll have to play on the old database to use it. That's what I'm going to do.

On 28/02/2022 at 09:16, bigmattb28 said:

It's because of the newest update, you'll have to play on the old database to use it. That's what I'm going to do.

Probably a stupid question but will this affect the match engine? Does using the old database mean using the match engine from before the recent update? 

49 minutes ago, TomFm1990 said:

Probably a stupid question but will this affect the match engine? Does using the old database mean using the match engine from before the recent update? 

No, it's just the players who have moved between game release and January transfer window won't be correct - the way the game plays in terms of ME or even Dynamic Youth Ratings (such as they are) won't be impacted.  I believe Victor San Marino have released a few players and signed a few more, so just that not being up-to-date.

I left VSM in December ‘40. They poached Real Madrid manager Xabi Alonso. I took his place. I plan to stay there long enough to become #1 HoF manager and get SMNT to world #1, then I’ll retire, and a new, younger manager will be created to have a go at the rest of the challenge with a Sammarinese league team. 

Edited by TacticalGenius

So I have been trying to get my hands on Classans Italy database with no luck.  No idea why it was pulled and to be honest dont care to hear the reason.  So i decided to get my buddy who works on DB's to work on it for me so i can try to do this challenge as well.  When its done it will be made available to everyone.   As of right now we dont have a cup system set up for D5.  The amount of teams vary widely from year to year and we havent figured out that part yet.  Also, San Marino doesnt have a playoff system, the team with the best record wins the league.  Those are the only 2 things that are different.  I'm using Victor San Marino and only plan on being in D5 a year or so before i move on so i dont really care about those 2 things.  At least now i can attempt to do the save.  I'm still simming it ahead to make sure it works.  I will be posting it on here later in case anyone else wants to enjoy the San Marino Challenge.  I see no reason why more people shouldnt be able to have fun and try this.  As of right now without a functioning Italy DB its not possible.  BTW, this DB has been made on the latest version of FM as well.

Just noticed the links are working today for Classens D5.  They were not a few days ago.  Either way, this one will be made available on steam for everyone to use.  Enjoy!

Edited by kelen

So i'm about to start my own San Marino Challenge but i have a question for you guys?  Do you sim some games or watch them all?  I always watch all games but this does seem to be a really really long save.  Do some people just sim and not watch any games?  Just wondering what is ok in the rules and what you guys do?

3 hours ago, kelen said:

The links are down again.  Seems like someone doesnt want you guys to use his Italy database.

I posted Claassen's database above on Feb 24th - perhaps @6499red could add this to the OP?

As for watch or sim - I started out watching all the games, but as I had a plan revolving around Dynamic Youth Ratings and it was bugged, I got a bit fed up and went with an instant result skin and have been doing that since.  With work and life, I don't get a massive amount of time to play the game, so it helps me get through what is a long save quicker.  So entirely up to you.

I would say it's harder to get playing time to your subs using instant result - so if/when I have some decent Sammarinese young players on the bench that I want to develop, I'll probably go back to watching the games just so I can bring them on with 20-30 minutes to go to help them develop.

Thanks duesouth.  I think i'll be doing a bit of both at the start to help move it along.  I am currently coach at Victor San Marino and the National team of course. I was wondering if its ok to take a third team in San Marino at the same time.  I can see how that might be an issue so i figured i would ask.

12 hours ago, kelen said:

Thanks duesouth.  I think i'll be doing a bit of both at the start to help move it along.  I am currently coach at Victor San Marino and the National team of course. I was wondering if its ok to take a third team in San Marino at the same time.  I can see how that might be an issue so i figured i would ask.

I'm managing Victor San Marino, San Marino NT and also Cosmos - so 100% OK.  I actually found in my long FM19 save, that Europe with a San Marino League club is really fun.

Thats what I think as well.  Last year my buddy CTxCB made me a 2 tier San Marino that i used on my Twitch stream.  You could buy teams and upgrade the team using channel points.  Plus you could buy 3 newgens  a year that we would spin a sweel to see rating/potential.  It was a blast and trying to work your way through Europe was alot of fun.    

So I simmed a bit using the San Marino file you guys use.  The teams that come in 1st and 4th in the cup get to go to Europe?  Is that how it is for you guys as well?  Doesnt really make sense.  So my Buddy CTxCB is in the process of completing the D5 Italy plus San Marino DB's.  The playoff system works.  All cups have been added to Italy and they function as they should.  Same as San Marino plus they will be available on steam for EVERYONE.  The San Marino file has been up for a days.  I'm still waiting for him to finish Italy so i can test it for him.  I didnt realize how big of a task this is.  He has been working on this for days and I have been in Discord watching.  I can say for sure that I could never do it haha.   Here is the link for his San Marino in case anyone is interested.  Or you can juts look it up on Steam.  His name is CTxCB

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2772616706

Edited by kelen

8 hours ago, kelen said:

The teams that come in 1st and 4th in the cup get to go to Europe?

Trying to remember back to the first season.  If you win the Champions Playoffs, you go into the Champions League at the Prelim stage.  In my first season I lost in the final and didn't qualify for Europe as the co-efficient changed.

The San Marino Cup winners also qualify for Europe - not sure which comp though.

Now I get it.  He has tied the other Europe spot to the other cup. I didnt realize that.  In this database the other spot goes to the league winner which is the way I believe it works IRL.  I tried to test the Italy database.  It seems to work as intended but I might not be the best tester haha.  I simmed 5 years and I couldnt find anything.  My online save got cancelled today so i will finally be starting my San Marino save.  I had been holding out waiting for this DB to be finished.  There was a problem updating the San Marino file and it got deleted?  Not sure how, but he has put up a new San Marino in its place.  Has anyone else run into that problem before?  Anyways, here is the new San Marino link and the Italy link as well.  Both are on steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2776225735

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2776261068

In the database of Claassen in the first seasons the play-off winner and the cup winner are going into Europe. So if you are second and you didn't win the cup the second place means absolutely nothing. But the possibility of getting higher in the ranking and so having more European spots is quite easy. I think you need like 4 seasons for it.

My competition is now 28th next season so I get into the first qualifying round of the CL as the champions and 3 other teams go to the 2nd qualifying round of the Conference League wich is really nice

@6499redSome more completed, but I didn't note you put my previous accomplishments on the list?

Win the Coppa Italia

Qualify for the group stage of the Europa League

Survive the group stage of the Europa League

Get San Marino into the top 100 in the world

coppa itali win.PNG

WorldRank90.PNG

qualify EL group stage.PNG

SanMarino player top talent.PNG

Wonderkid.PNG

Victor San Marino

92250.png.273a428231c6c94df1d418adb918b909.png

Season 2 - 2022/23

League - Fresh off a title winning season we stepped up to Serie D. We started off very well and were at the top or near the top all the way through to January. However as winter came our form fell off and we had a rough time in January and February. This saw us fall off the pace and we needed a strong final two months of the season to have a chance. And boy did we give it our all, went undefeated in our final 11 games of the season but ultimately fell just short. We finish the season in 2nd just 1 point back from the winner. We had the better goal difference so it stung to fight back and get so close but falling just short. We did make the playoffs, not that it mattered anyway, but bowed out in the first game. We've improved our squad and we predicted to come in the bottom third of the league so we greatly overachieved so continuing to build our squad we should have a good chance for promotion next season.

Cups - Just one cup this year, the Coppa Italia Serie D. We did reasonably well making it to the 5th round beating 4 teams along the way. Hopefully with an improved squad next season we can have a shot at winning a double again.

Other - Still no facility improvements but our finances are looking good at the end of the season. Sitting on $300K after our payout so was hoping we could get an upgrade but the board shot that down. We'll keep pushing for any kind of upgrade but I'm not holding my breath. Got a few good potential youth players in so we'll see how they progress. Patiently waiting for the National Team job to open up 

Season League Position Cups Top Goalscorer Most Assists Highest Avg Rating Avg Attendance Training Facilities Youth Facilities Junior Coaching Youth Recruitment
2021/22 Tier 5 1st Copa Italia Eccellenza Emilia-Romagna Petrişor Voinea (20) Mario Barone (10) Petrişor Voinea (7.30) 227 (30%) Basic Basic Fairly basic Fairly basic
2022/23 Tier 4 2nd Copa Italia Serie D Petrişor Voinea (25) Samuel Pancotti (12) Lorenzo Lepri (7.30) 235 (31%) Basic Basic Fairly basic Fairly basic

So, I am doing this challenge from San Marino instead of Victor San Marino in Italy. Everything is progressing much slower but the national league is in a good place now. Every club is professional now en 3 teams start their European journey in the second qualification round of the Conference League.

c51fcf018025b881b6453e9eaa24ab95.png

902c149e7527104821a63c885166b5ea.png

Slowly but surely we are making progress and we are competing a little bit with these national teams. I promoted from the Nations League division D and in my qualification round we won against Liechtenstein. Slowly getting there!