[FM22] Wrath of the Lich King

Rikulec

FOd3PdS.jpg

Wrath of the Lich King

Here I am, I've finally decided what I'm going to do for FM22, yay! For the past two years I've done saves with what was my team back then - Unia Janikowo - and now, having moved to Legia Soccer Schools, I of course considered Legia as one of the possibilities. However, I've decided against that for two reasons. One, I feel it would be a bit too easy in the league from the get go and thus I could get bored too quickly. Two, it's actually not really my club until I make it to the academy proper and that's still some way off. What I'm going to do is a follow-up to my most successful career thread to date. Some of you may remember FM16: The Frozen Throne, where I challenged myself to win the top divisions of five Nordic countries: Iceland, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark - and succeeded. Well, as one of the most famous video game characters said - here we go again!

The Aim

The same as all those years ago: win the top divisions of Iceland, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. I'll be trying to complete these nations in ascending order in terms of reputation. I'll also be moving on as soon as I've completed one. If I do manage to win all five, the final aim becomes to win the Champions League with a Nordic team. Simple enough, right?

The Manager

8LxttaG.jpg

I like to commemorate some great newgen players I've had over all those years playing FM and Magni Þórðarson is certainly a name that brings back fond memories. The midfielder helped me to my first league title in Iceland with KR, who are now the favourite club of the manager named after this legend. As you've probably guessed by looking at the starting attributes, Magni has no coaching badges or playing experience, but he has a dream I think we all want to see him realise! We'll also be starting unemployed.

The Save

5QnNqBy.jpg

Plenty of leagues all across the continent, as usual in my case. The game starts at the beginning of May 2021, but I won't be applying for any of the jobs available at the beginning - I prefer to see the game shake things up just a little bit before jumping in.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PUKIHJq.jpg

It took until August for another club to invite me. Fram are a big side historically, but they've fallen on some hard times and they find themselves in the relegation zone, three points from safety with eight games to go.

32 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Arthas was right.

(good luck)

#ArthasDidNothingWrong :D Cheers mate!

29 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Best of luck, man. Weird seeing a Lech man talking positively about Legia, though! 

You can easily find my picture in a Legia training shirt in the general discussion thread. :D

lNKh1hX.jpg

Here we go!

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - New Club - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

jmVKSFM.jpg

A one-year contract that won't be extended if we go down, sounds pretty straightforward.

Club Name: Íþróttafélagið Völsungur
Nickname: -
Year Founded: 1927
Stadium: Vodafonevöllurinn Húsavík (2,000 capacity)

DaqHUoW.jpg

We have a total of thirteen players at the club to start with and absolutely no backroom staff at all. Obviously this means there's no one to tell me if these guys are any good, but our key player is apparently Sæþór Olgeirsson and he looks decent enough for me. He already has a top tier side sniffing around him, so we might not be able to keep him.

cqas4PT.jpg

Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of the club vision. I can see a few upsides to this project. First, we still have a few weeks before the season starts and it should be enough to sort out the staff and bring in some reinforcements. Second, our facilities are quite decent, although it seems that's pretty standard for Iceland and it doesn't really give us any advantage. Third, this project is basically about building a club almost from scratch and what can be more exciting than that?!

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - Pre-Season - 2022 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

Friendlies

Yd1H8VW.jpg

Not much to draw conclusions from. Tindastóll are a lower league team and we seemed to struggle a bit, but we gave good games to top tier sides.

Transfers

Yeah, well, this is a bit awkward. I've lined up ten transfers or so, but the transfer window doesn't open until 18th February. By then we will have played two games of the pre-season league cup with the original 13 players... no, actually it's 11 because Steingrímsson hasn't recovered from his injury yet and I released Hreiðarsson because he was ****. Oh, and no goalkeeper. This is gonna be fun. :lol:

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - February 2022 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

Lengjubikarinn

eWpQK6b.jpg

v6WKg8X.jpg

Certainly not the best of starts, but we should have beaten Vestri and only conceded the lead to an 85th minute header. Even more frustratingly, ÍBV also scored all their goals after the 85th minute. FH, however, was a game where we were lucky to escape with a clean sheet.

Transfers

Here we go then!

Aleksandar Jeftić - this transfer had already been arranged upon my arrival. I don't mind, he's a decent player.

Ásgeir Páll Magnússon - our new starting right back.

Einar Ari Ármannsson - a young backup goalkeeper comes in on a year-long loan from KA.

Steingrímur Ingi Gunnarsson - another goalkeeper, this one we brought in on free from lower league Magni and he's probably going to be the starter.

Jakob Hafsteinsson - a second option for the right side of our defensive block.

Jorn Vancamp - one of the three ridiculous transfers somehow found by my scouts. He looks immense for our level!

Birgir Ómar Hlynsson - a good midfielder already and I hope he can develop further.

Óli Einarsson - another youngster to provide cover for the left wing.

Arton Zekaj - again, what a player! He's the perfect #6 for our possession-oriented 4-3-3.

Cyriaque Mayounga - from Olympique Lyonnais to Wolverhampton to the Icelandic 2nd tier. :lol:

Vignir Snær Stefánsson - primarily a midfielder, but I'm going to need him at left back first and foremost.

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - March 2022 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

Lengjubikarinn

2HZ837l.jpg

ETqGhlD.jpg

The final table makes for a grim reading, but KR was an even game that could have gone either way and Grótta FM'd us with two corner goals. No competitive win for me yet.

Friendlies

atvrVw8.jpg

And then we go and dominate a strong Stjarnan side in a friendly.

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - May 2022 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

1. deild

gymeno7.jpg

qv4llfi.jpg

I guess we can call it an unbeaten start. We're getting properly FM'd though, we're playing well, controlling possession and dominating games, but we also keep getting undone by set piece headers and can't keep a clean sheet for the love of all that's holy in the world. Maybe the team needs more time to gel?

Bikarkeppni

U2H3u0r.jpg

Somehow we're avoiding these problems while playing a heavily rotated team in the cup though! Two wins see us already exceed the board's expectations and we've also dispatched a top division side. There's not much money to be made here and we're almost certainly not winning the cup, but a nice little run could always boost our reputation.

2 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Am here for this nordic adventure!! Can you do what only IFK Goteborg done and bring euro glory the region!! I think magic magni can!

Magic Magni is a name I like! :D Cheers mate, good to have you following.

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - June 2022 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

1. deild

ppCystO.jpg

5BDk3AA.jpg

Happy with this month, even if a late goal cost us yet again against Fram. Only one defeat in the league so far and judging by the early table, there's no shame in losing to Keflavík.

Bikarkeppni

6Wg52F7.jpg

The magic has worked again! It was an even game that thankfully tipped our way thanks to supersub Mourad. We're through to the quarter finals and we keep playing what's basically our B team!

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - July 2022 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

1. deild

bsomKZz.jpg

kKv6X4A.jpg

Another decent month and with eight games to go we look set for a comfortable mid-table finish, which is good considering the pre-season expectations. Notably, we came back from two goals down against John Arne Riise-managed Leiknir R.

Bikarkeppni

erLj6GA.jpg

The dream sadly ends here, but it was a really good run nevertheless.

Transfers

Nikolay Sysuev - the Russian goalkeeper comes in on a free transfer and immediately jumps in between the sticks.

Robbe Bakelandt - what an amazing player for us! Scored on his debut to prove himself immediately as well.

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - August 2022 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

1. deild

7ghCeW8.jpg

Vf3SCRQ.jpg

What a month! Absolute perfection at the back and we've also won all four games at home. We look very likely to finish 5th, two games left to be played.

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - September 2022 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

1. deild

04G2J1B.jpg

MDcpg1W.jpg

5th it is then. Unfortunately we weren't able to extend our unbeaten run.

Youth Intake

5z7WLTz.jpg

Not bad! I quite like the look of Guðmundsson and am probably going to retrain him to deep lying forward.

Örvar Þór Ingvason

Garðar Guðmundsson

Arnór Ingi Ólafsson

Sindri Þór Jóhannesson

5 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Solid season, and couple of decent strikers in the intake 

Ingvason doesn't really fit into our system to be honest, maybe he could do the job for us on the right wing but we're playing with a lone striker in a deep lying role, something a pure finisher like him isn't really suited for. That's why I like Guðmundsson better at the moment, he's exactly the kind of player I'm looking for in this position.

1 minute ago, Rikulec said:

Ingvason doesn't really fit into our system to be honest, maybe he could do the job for us on the right wing but we're playing with a lone striker in a deep lying role, something a pure finisher like him isn't really suited for. That's why I like Guðmundsson better at the moment, he's exactly the kind of player I'm looking for in this position.

Potentially a sub for chasing game 

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Can't sniff too much at that intake, far better than what I would have expected but maybe my expectations were too low. It can be hard to judge at this sort of level sometimes! :lol:

There are reasons to hope for decent intakes - our facilities are quite good and it's generally the case in Iceland. You'd be surprised how many teams have good or great training and youth facilities considering the level of the league! With this year's addition of dynamic youth rating I'm really curious to see whether it's going to influence the quality of Icelandic players over time, here's hoping the save lasts long enough for me to be able to check it.

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - Season Review - 2022 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

1. deild

Results

Competition Performance: 5th

Our task was to stay up and we definitely exceeded all expectations by achieving a very comfortable finish. We never looked like a team in danger of going down, even when we failed to win in our opening three games despite playing fairly well already. The mid-season additions seem to have really improved us, I could see the team developing game after game. Overall, I'm happy with our performance.

Bikarkeppni

Competition Performance: Quarter Final

A nice cup run also gave us something to remember. We ended up losing to the eventual winners.

Lengjubikarinn A

Competition Performance: Group Stage

The less said about our performance in the pre-season league cup, the better.

Squad

There seems to be a significant difference in quality between the domestic players and the foreigners in favour of the latter, which I'm not a huge fan of. I guess I'm going to have to live with it though, there are simply no Icelandic players at a sufficient level of ability available. We're releasing Óskarsson and Guðmundsson and Guðmundur Óli Steingrímsson is set to retire at the end of the season.

Transfers - Finances

A complete squad overhaul was necessary to begin with, I hope we can avoid similar revolutions in the future and focus on steady development instead.

I'm afraid there's not much we can do to avoid losing money at an alarming rate.

Player of the Season

1st - Ólafur Jóhann Steingrímsson - contrary to what you might have expected, our best performer of the season is a one-club Icelandic man. He may not look very impressive overall, but he has the right attributes in all the right places for his position and he's making very good use of that.

2nd - Arton Zekaj - in a possession-oriented 4-3-3 the defensive midfielder role is absolutely key and Zekaj provides pretty much everything we need there. Calm and confident on the ball as our deep-lying playmaker, commanding when we're forced to defend.

3rd - Jorn Vancamp - he's never going to be a 20-goal-a-season kind of striker, especially in our system, but he's done a brilliant job dropping deep, linking up play, creating space for runners from midfield and finally setting them up with perfectly timed through balls. I just hope he can score from time to time to avoid the infamous goal drought nonsense!

Next Season

I could probably go all for it, bring in a whole army of mercenaries and try to win the league, but to be honest I don't really want to do it. I'll be looking to give our most talented players from the last intake a chance to develop and consolidate our league position and perhaps make some small additions to the squad.

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - Season Preview - 2023 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

Board Expectations:

1. deild: Top half finish
Bikarkeppni: Third Round
Lengjubikarinn: Not important

My Expectations:

1. deild: The board seem rather optimistic after just one season at this level. I'll be happy if we meet the expectations.
Bikarkeppni: I'll probably end up playing reserve players again.
Lengjubikarinn: Let's just do better than last year.

Budgets:

Transfer: £4,866
Wage: £7,735 (currently spending £4,190)
Balance: -£44,963

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

You weren’t miles away last season in the end. The run towards the end of the season was a good example as to what may be to come. Hopefully you can use the momentum from that run to build into this season.

To be honest I don't want to get promoted too quickly or achieve instant success in general. For me it's all about the journey and taking pleasure from slow and steady development with occasional bumps along the way. This is how the FM16 save was for me and it was easily the most memorable career I've had on the game ever.

9 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

As a former WoW raider for many years, your title got me.  Will follow.

I'll admit I've never played WoW, I'm a firm W3 man, but the title seemed like an appropriate follow-up to the FM16 save. :D

Tftr9Sg.png

Magni Þórðarson's Management Career - Pre-Season - 2023 - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur

Friendlies

Txkxusn.jpg

Always nice to see a perfect set of wins.

Transfers

HCmsIon.jpg

As I said, evolution rather than revolution.

Bjarni Guðjón Brynjólfsson - a decent young midfielder to provide some cover.

Patryk Stępiński - our new starting right back.

We also promoted Heimir Þorsteinsson and Garðar Guðmundsson from the youth team.