What attributes influence an attacking player's willingness to contribute defensively?

In a recent game my team conceded a goal because my perennially under performing inside forward decided to go for a leisurely jog rather than help my overloaded left back.

I hate giving away cheap goals like this, especially since my defense is otherwise so strong, so I am wondering what attributes influence whether an attacking player will help defensively? I would guess work rate, but maybe it is aggression?

1 hour ago, Outsider23 said:

In a recent game my team conceded a goal because my perennially under performing inside forward decided to go for a leisurely jog rather than help my overloaded left back.

I hate giving away cheap goals like this, especially since my defense is otherwise so strong, so I am wondering what attributes influence whether an attacking player will help defensively? I would guess work rate, but maybe it is aggression?

Work rate, decisions, positioning, teamwork and to a certain extent concentration, determination, stamina.

Agression and bravery will affect how committed your player is in a duel with another player. 

It's not just about the attributes.  For sure things like Work Rate and Determination will play a part, but don't forget the player's Mentality which will be influenced by the team Mentality and player role/duty.

So for example don't expect a player with an attack focussed mentality (because you use an aggressive team Mentality and/or he has an attack duty) with low work rate / Det to track back as much as a player with better work rate / Det and a lower Mentality.

It's the combination of all which is important, not just attributes :thup:.

I recommend looking for

• Work Rate (to want to perform more actions),
  • Stamina (to be able to perform more actions),
  • Teamwork (to follow the relevant closing down/marking instructions to mark the relevant player or zone), and
  • Concentration (to not switch off once the attacking phase ends).

These attributes, arranged by decreasing importance, will make attacking players track back.

Edited by WizbaII

20 hours ago, donnghia said:

1ST. PLAYER TRAIT (50% influence I think)

2ND. Positioning

3rd.Team Work

4th. Anticipation

That's incorrect. Teamwork has nothing to go down and defend. Work rate is though.

Teamwork is how much a player follows your tactical instructions.

2 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

That's incorrect. Teamwork has nothing to go down and defend. Work rate is though.

Teamwork is how much a player follows your tactical instructions.

Teamwork

How well the player follows tactical instructions and works for and alongside their team-mates. A team full of players with a high rating here works better as a unit. Players with lower ratings slack off and do not ‘buy in’ to the team ethos, becoming more individual, and not providing adequate support for their team-mates. It is also used to help decide whether or not a player opts to use one of his Player Traits ahead of a tactical instruction.

From the official definition by SI

22 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Not sure if positioning is that important here? I'd assume that work rate, teamwork and bravery are far for important in this situation

Positioning

This attribute reflects the ability of a player to read a situation and manoeuvre themselves into the best possible location to deal with the unfolding events in defensive situations. It is not used in attacking situations; rather, it is used to determine how well a player identifies who to mark, when and how and where to mark them, and whether or not they’re in the best position within their current tactical setup.