Attributes or match rating

I would like a bit input on how to think about squad selection. Lets say I have a 23 year old CM with great attributes for the AP-role, but after 6 months have played 17 matches, 0 goals, 3 assists and a rating of 6.69. Not very good, but still my coaches rate him at 4 stars. I also have a 16 year old, rated at 2 stars, how have played 10 games, 2 goals, 2 assist and a rating of 6.90. 

Do you play the star player or the highes performer?

Whilst playing the better performer seems obvious, you should also look into why the other player isn't performing.

Also, keep in mind that (over)playing young players will possibly hamper their development because they will have less time to train.

3 hours ago, torehj said:

I would like a bit input on how to think about squad selection. Lets say I have a 23 year old CM with great attributes for the AP-role, but after 6 months have played 17 matches, 0 goals, 3 assists and a rating of 6.69. Not very good, but still my coaches rate him at 4 stars. I also have a 16 year old, rated at 2 stars, how have played 10 games, 2 goals, 2 assist and a rating of 6.90. 

Remember the hidden attributes that make up their personality - for every Marcus Rashford there is a Ravel Morrison, etc. 

3 hours ago, torehj said:

The one with better ratings and personality.

The one, that is performing. Average rating alone is not very good though. I usually pay attention to Team Goals for and Team Goals against. It shows whether a player is a positive or negative contributor

On 06/03/2021 at 10:54, Tyburn said:

Personally I play the player who is performing. Mainly because I have removed the star ratings :) 

Would be ideal - but there are some issues with player ratings right now so how do I know if the player is underperforming or if it’s just how his performance is perceived by the ME rating system?

1 minute ago, DP said:

Would be ideal - but there are some issues with player ratings right now so how do I know if the player is underperforming or if it’s just how his performance is perceived by the ME rating system?

It’s a good point. Personally I rely on instinct and what my coaches are telling me. My ball winning midfielder for example is continually getting ratings below what I’d expect. However during a match he breaks up play, he rarely loses the ball and my team just look and perform better when he’s in the team. His attributes seem to be increasing at a decent rate (lots of up arrows), so he plays. Even though his average rating for the season is 6.something. Ratings are extremely useful, but there are other tools and metrics that can be used.

Personally, average ratings being a bit screwy this year has only added to the confusion and vagueness that I actively search for. Makes it all more interesting and challenging :) 

On 06/03/2021 at 14:23, kentonizking said:

Remember the hidden attributes that make up their personality - for every Marcus Rashford there is a Ravel Morrison, etc. 

Came in to say that, you could have a fantastic looking player with a Consistency rating of 1 or an average looking Joe with a Consistency rating of 20. In the case of those two the main difference would be Professionalism 

Edited by Johnny Ace
Typo

26 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Came in to say that, you could have a fantastic looking playing with a Consistency rating of 1 or an average looking Joe with a Consistency rating of 20. In the case of those two the main difference would be Professionalism 

Not sure why they are hidden. If a player is like Ravel we should know. It’s not as if we can meet the player through the screen. Attributes exist so that we can judge the player based on metrics rather than an eye ball test which is difficult to convey in the game. Personality and traits such as consistency should kinda be the same. 

2 minutes ago, DP said:

Not sure why they are hidden. If a player is like Ravel we should know. It’s not as if we can meet the player through the screen. Attributes exist so that we can judge the player based on metrics rather than an eye ball test which is difficult to convey in the game. Personality and traits such as consistency should kinda be the same. 

Yeah, do agree, only hints we get for them are from the scout/coach reports 

1 hour ago, DP said:

Big  debate about attributes at all, it should be things like sports science and the Opta Index that tell us who in the league has the most 'pace/acceleration' or the stats that say, Dave Smith has stopped the most shots in a leaky team, Andy Black can't play in goal at the top level as he lacks the concentration for that 'big save' in the second half. 

But.......it is still a game, and you risk alienating people that way. Still, I find myself using attributes as a baseline, and performance and scout/stat reports as the main metric. 

I remember once, having an Indian regen for newcastle, who was an awful midfielder, league two level and im in the Prem. But, he had 20 heading, 20 strength, 20 bravery and 19 Jump (or whatever it was then).  - he was a super-sub loads of time, bung him on upfront (so he is away from the midfield, he was terrible rememeber!?), play for set pieces, aim for best header......and hope.