How is this not offside???

1 minute ago, cris182 said:

The linesman should definitely see it, As for VAR, Was it available in the competition?

It's in the Premier League, so definitely available, VAR overturned a penalty for me earlier in the match.

14 minutes ago, voodoo_852008 said:

I have seen a foul (and not a penalty) being called to my goalkeeper because he correctly grabbed the ball well inside his area. He got a red card but he could finish the game, and latter got suspended for 1 match. So yeah, bugs in the ME.

Wow, that's mad... Did you report it?

I had one where the opposition scored one where one of their players was about 4 yards offside when the ball was played, but not the player who took the shot.

I accepted this as I realised I really no longer understand the offside rule as with how they've complicated it you now need a rocket science degree to understand it.   So I don't know if that was actually offside or not anymore (definitely would have been 10 years ago)!

But this one is clear as day.  How that was not given as offside suggests a bug.

21 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I had one where the opposition scored one where one of their players was about 4 yards offside when the ball was played, but not the player who took the shot.

I accepted this as I realised I really no longer understand the offside rule as with how they've complicated it you now need a rocket science degree to understand it.   So I don't know if that was actually offside or not anymore (definitely would have been 10 years ago)!

But this one is clear as day.  How that was not given as offside suggests a bug.

But was the player offside interfering with the play?

Cause a bug that was happening a lot on last years edition was that someone took a shot and scored but then a player in the box that had nothing to do with the play was seen as offside. Could be 10 meters on the other side from where the shot was going, but still was offside for ''interfering'' for some reason. Frustrating. Kept happening all the time in me and my mates online save. 

7 minutes ago, RMR93 said:

But was the player offside interfering with the play?

Cause a bug that was happening a lot on last years edition was that someone took a shot and scored but then a player in the box that had nothing to do with the play was seen as offside. Could be 10 meters on the other side from where the shot was going, but still was offside for ''interfering'' for some reason. Frustrating. Kept happening all the time in me and my mates online save. 

He was very close to the goalkeeper, so I'd argue yes he was, even if he didn't touch the ball.  But again, this sort of thing is subjective.

I much prefer the old offside rule.  If it requires a computer drawn line to call, it shouldn't be offside.  And if it's just the player's index finger, it also shouldn't be offside.

But, I am a self-professed old fart.

I remember SI saying that Refs are coded so that they make bad calls at times, so I'm guessing this is one of those "working as intended, but also not really working as intended" cases, where the referee makes a bad call as intended, but the call is so bad that with the VAR it should never happen.

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

He was very close to the goalkeeper, so I'd argue yes he was, even if he didn't touch the ball.  But again, this sort of thing is subjective.

I much prefer the old offside rule.  If it requires a computer drawn line to call, it shouldn't be offside.  And if it's just the player's index finger, it also shouldn't be offside.

But, I am a self-professed old fart.

Ah, guess that was it then, they saw it as interfering with the play, but who knows since that kept happening for no reason on last years edition. 

Well, I agree with you there, some of these calls being made today are just ridiculous. And not to say these long stops in the game because VAR has to take a look at it. Even simple decisions could sometimes take a couple of minutes.

5 minutes ago, RMR93 said:

Ah, guess that was it then, they saw it as interfering with the play, but who knows since that kept happening for no reason on last years edition. 

Well, I agree with you there, some of these calls being made today are just ridiculous. And not to say these long stops in the game because VAR has to take a look at it. Even simple decisions could sometimes take a couple of minutes.

That's the thing - it wasn't called as offside in what I'm referring to.  But I'm so confused as to the current offside rule, I don't know whether it actually was or not.  10 years ago, it'd have been a definite offside.

21 hours ago, RMR93 said:

Bad refereeing? Non existing VAR? Or just a downright bug? 

The only thing I can think of is that the defender gets there at the same time. And if the def kicks it and it hits your player and goes in, tecnically it is not offside.

But this one is, as the offside player clearly interferring with play.

For example, a player could be in offside position far side of six yard box and the defender turns to clear it and the player then hits it and goes in.

What I find even worse is the issue of the net acting like  its been pulled off its hinges and this has been reported numerous times in FM20 and yet to be fixed. The ball hasnt even hit the net, and the net is already playing up. Its the little things. Sigh

Untitled.png

On 08/12/2020 at 17:54, Freakiie said:

I remember SI saying that Refs are coded so that they make bad calls at times, so I'm guessing this is one of those "working as intended, but also not really working as intended" cases, where the referee makes a bad call as intended, but the call is so bad that with the VAR it should never happen.

Ahhh, well, Im all for some controversy where bad calls could be made. Makes it interesting sometimes. Like for instance I recieved a penalty that never should have been. Got a red card as well. Complained to the media and protested on the suspension after the game and they overturned it and removed the suspension. 

But exactly like you said, VAR should have stepped in on this one. Linesman has even the perfect angle to spot that... but nothing. Not even anything about it in the presser afterwards, so can only count it as a bug.

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

The only thing I can think of is that the defender gets there at the same time. And if the def kicks it and it hits your player and goes in, tecnically it is not offside.

But this one is, as the offside player clearly interferring with play.

For example, a player could be in offside position far side of six yard box and the defender turns to clear it and the player then hits it and goes in.

Not quite sure I understand.... There is no one even remotely close to the striker nor Lerma who's crossing it in. The defender gets there at the same time? Gets there at the same time as who? Lerma crosses it in, no one is touching the ball on the way to Solanke who just strikes it in and he's way offside.

But yeah I know what you mean how Lerma could have crossed and Solanke was in an offside position but one of my defenders cleared it to him that wouldn't have been offside. But that's not what's happening here.

Here is another one guys... How is Vlahovic called offside on this one? He's not interferring with the cross that Dodo puts to Grealish. At first glance it could look like Vlahovic is offside on the first cross but to me it doesn't look like he is and even if he was Dodo is infront of him when the cross goes in so that can't be offside either.

44 minutes ago, RMR93 said:

Here is another one guys... How is Vlahovic called offside on this one? He's not interferring with the cross that Dodo puts to Grealish. At first glance it could look like Vlahovic is offside on the first cross but to me it doesn't look like he is and even if he was Dodo is infront of him when the cross goes in so that can't be offside either.

FM deals very poorly with passive offsides. Already uploaded quite a few examples of this happening in FM20 and now again in FM21 on the bug forum. Unfortunately the ME struggles just as hard to understand offside as the average football fan does it seems. Not really surprised, as I assume the whole "did he participate in play or not" question will be quite a pain to code properly.

• 4 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 00:30, rinso said:

just out of interest,.,, (devil's advocate hat on)   the example was scored against you, right?   If it were scored FOR you, would this thread exist?? 

Actually I have recorded a few instances where it has gone my way as well, but does it matter? Point is that this kept happening for some time, but fortunately I haven't noticed it in any newer saves for now.