Advice for making my Palermo save more difficult?

Hey all,

I have been finding FM21 very easy. I have taken reigns in Palermo Seria C. 

Currently on a 8 match win streak against favorites to win the league, mid table etc. I am top of the league despite a projection of 2nd half of the table

I have NOT done any transfers on purpose and played with the team that was given. 

How do I make it harder for myself???. Realistically, I should be fighting for survival or mid table. 

I'm not exploiting tactics or ME, just respond to how my team plays. Start of the season lost 3 on the bounce for playing possession now I play counter attacking and haven't had to change anything since... 

• JordanMilly changed the title to Advice for making my Palermo save more difficult?

Start of the season lost 3 on the bounce for playing possession now I play counter attacking and haven't had to change anything since... 

That's the problem. Some tactics are too strong. Gegenpress is another example.

Edited by Tom 99

2 minutes ago, Double Indemnity said:

Palermo is going to be an easy save to start out with because they've got massive structural and financial advantages over the other Serie C teams. It should toughen up when you're back in Serie A.

That is what I am hopeful for as I adore the Italian Seria A and it's top 6/8 because it is like the Premier League 

3 minutes ago, Double Indemnity said:

Palermo is going to be an easy save to start out with because they've got massive structural and financial advantages over the other Serie C teams. It should toughen up when you're back in Serie A.

I see you manage Venezia - how is that for you ?

2 minutes ago, Polski97 said:

I see you manage Venezia - how is that for you ?

Also pretty easy because they're also a fallen team that has good investment and staffing behind them. The big difference is they weren't of Palermo's stature to begin with, and their stadium is about 1/4 the size.

I got Palermo promoted first season. It shouldn’t be that hard because they’re a big fish in that league and players at the start already better than most. I ended up giving up once I got to Serie B though!!

20 minutes ago, wattzy said:

I got Palermo promoted first season. It shouldn’t be that hard because they’re a big fish in that league and players at the start already better than most. I ended up giving up once I got to Serie B though!!

Interesting. Can I know why ? What made it hard for you there. 

I'm finding the game unrealistic but not too easy. I'm not losing enough but every game is tough - so it's not massively enjoyable.

I created a new journeyman save (no badges, lowest level profile). Got a job with Yeovil. Used my own tactics and adapted set-pieces. 

Won Vanarama National in 2nd season, won League 2 immediately after (with a record points haul), now ten games into league 1 and in the play-off places. Have beaten multiple prem and championship teams in cups.

Have used free tfrs and loans but really can't get anyone insanely good to join.

My main formation has changed for each league. 4-4-2, then 4-2-3-1, now 4-1-2-3.

It's not full gegen - it's counter and counter press but pressing urgency isn't full, I don't prevent short goal kicks and don't engage until the middle third. Play a high line but not offside trap (use a cb on cover). 

I don't smash many opponents. Just grind out results.

It doesn't feel too easy during the season - I get very frustrated during games but still get wins or draws. Now I look back on overall progress and think it's just way too unrealistic.

2 hours ago, Jibby123 said:

There are tactics out there (Knap has done a load) which 'break the ME' and they're not illogical tactics so you could stumble on a tactic as they are out there and wonder why everything is so easy because it will be!  

but no one here is using those ... I just pick one of the pre set one's or now I've moved to making my own from scratch 

2 hours ago, vacuumcat said:

I'm finding the game unrealistic but not too easy. I'm not losing enough but every game is tough - so it's not massively enjoyable.

I created a new journeyman save (no badges, lowest level profile). Got a job with Yeovil. Used my own tactics and adapted set-pieces. 

Won Vanarama National in 2nd season, won League 2 immediately after (with a record points haul), now ten games into league 1 and in the play-off places. Have beaten multiple prem and championship teams in cups.

Have used free tfrs and loans but really can't get anyone insanely good to join.

My main formation has changed for each league. 4-4-2, then 4-2-3-1, now 4-1-2-3.

It's not full gegen - it's counter and counter press but pressing urgency isn't full, I don't prevent short goal kicks and don't engage until the middle third. Play a high line but not offside trap (use a cb on cover). 

It doesn't feel too easy during the season - I get very frustrated during games but still get wins or draws. Now I look back on overall progress and think it's just way too unrealistic.

I can relate to that. I don't bother doing saves with teams like Bayern or Real or Chelsea ... I'd win it all and that is boring. I want to lose and be challenged 

25 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

This does nothing if you know what to say in team talks or any other player interactions...

Except it made my first season at Hajduk hell with no previous experience as locker room was in poor condition. It took a lot of pandering, tough results to get it to neutral. Almost got fired twice because it added to issues I had with getting players to respond. I had max badges. I think with no badges it would be a nightmare for couple of years.

8 minutes ago, rosque said:

Except it made my first season at Hajduk hell with no previous experience as locker room was in poor condition. It took a lot of pandering, tough results to get it to neutral. Almost got fired twice because it added to issues I had with getting players to respond. I had max badges. I think with no badges it would be a nightmare for couple of years.

That’s because you most likely said something wrong. The entire player interaction experience isn’t dynamic enough to where saying the right thing could unsettle someone. It’s there but not enough and that adds to the lack of difficulty of the game.

1 minute ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

That’s because you most likely said something wrong. The entire player interaction experience isn’t dynamic enough to where saying the right thing could unsettle someone. It’s there but not enough and that adds to the lack of difficulty of the game.

It was in the gutter from the moment I took over. So what did I say wrong when starting the game?

4 minutes ago, rosque said:

It was in the gutter from the moment I took over. So what did I say wrong when starting the game?

Can’t say the same in my experience. I only play with no badges and Sunday league. If you’re winning you’ll be fine.

Also things like praising and criticizing training have become monotonous. It’s like a easy morale boost. As a manager with no experience, players should be rolling their eyes most of the time and it shouldn’t be an automatic morale boost.

1 minute ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Can’t say the same in my experience. I only play with no badges and Sunday league. If you’re winning you’ll be fine.

Then you can't say something in absolute if you're only experiencing one thing. 

@Polski97There are loads of ways you could make the game harder or more interesting. Some have probably been mentioned but here you go anyway. 

Only sign Italian players.

Only sign players from same region. 

Only use products of tour Academy.

Play with a different formation and using roles that you have little experience in.

Try to focus on specific challenges in game ie. Conceding the fewest goals possible or scoring the most goals possible.

You're in Italy. What about using a Libero?

Alternatively just enjoy the ride and then complain when you are getting hammered in the League above. 

There are loads of different ways for you to enjoy the game. 

4 minutes ago, rosque said:

What is an issue? 

Team talks is a easy morale boost.

if you choose the right options.

the feature should be more dynamic as you are dealing with many different personalities in the game.

there shouldn’t be a right answer for all players. Different players should response to different interactions whether it’s a positive or negative responses.

5 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

@Mars_BlackmonAre you aware that you have created a thread asking how you make the game harder, and then seem intent on arguing with those who have bothered to come and offer you some advice. 

If you don't want other opinions then it's really simple. Don't create a thread asking for them. 

I didn’t create the thread. 

8 hours ago, vacuumcat said:

This is exactly how I am finding my save with Birmingham City. I never smash anybody, I just constantly grind out results. I went through a bad spell in my first season around Christmas losing several games and drawing against teams in the bottom 3, but then come the new year I was on fire until the end of the season and got promoted with nearly 100 points. 2 games into the new season I have won both games at home to Everton and away at Palace.