Wallace v Roberts 2009

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern Monkeys - October

The month started with a new signing, that of Matty Knowles, who looks useful on the left and is rated more highly than Udall, who's been out all season with a broken leg.

12 - Exeter v Rugby

Knowles started here but didn't do too much in a poor team performance. Milsom did however make a comeback and scored the game's only goal, only to get injured right at the final whistle, and put himself out for another week.

CLC 2nd round - Rugby v Hemel Hempstead

A entirely different team played this one against opponents sitting way down the tier below us. Raw opened things with a sensational free kick from a wide angle, Williams headed a second before Dom (a Blyth youth product) blsted another fabulous goal from 35 yards for an easy win.

13 Rugby v Oldham

Bit of a snooze fest then. We had chances but that lack of quality up front with Milsom missing, really showed. We do remain top though.

14 - Cheltenham v Rugby

Cheltenham dominated the first half and we were fortunate to go in level. The second was different, and a fine result looked on when left midfielder Josh Hamilton strode through the middle to finish better than our forwards can manage just now. It was a short lived lead though, and a slopped back header let them equalise.

15 - Rugby v Mansfield

On paper this was quite a test, 1st v 3rd. That's how it turned out. An early goal from on-loan striker Mark Bartley gave us a 7th minute lead, which only lasted 3 minutes. The game continued to be even although we shaded the chances, one of which was converted by Paul Moses, who got on the end of a Hamilton free kick to secure 3 valuable points and increase our lead to 3 points.

FA Cup 4th qual - Redditch v Rugby

On paper an easy tie, but rotating almost the entire team nearly backfired. We failed to dominate, but an early goal from an Aussie striker called Wesley Evans who's been awful up til now, and a second half header from Milsom sealed a narrow win.

The first round proper will see us face Salisbury, who sit 2nd in our division, at home.

Overall a fantastic month then. Still in all the cups, and stretch a bit of a lead in the table. I'm still searching for a striker who will fire us to more comfortable wins...the budget is there, just need to find him.

League table

Squad selection

Northern Monkeys - November

16 - Salisbury v Rugby

Tough away game to the second placed team was an entertaining affair. We fell behind twice but an 80th minute equaliser from Raw drew us level and looked to have sealed the draw. With five minutes left though, a defensive error let Salisbury take the lead again. A late red card from Moses killed any hope of a dramatic comeback and means Salisbury draw level on points.

CLC 3rd Round - Rugby v Aldershot

A tough tie against BSP play off candidates this, but I stuck with the principles of rotation. After half an hour, inconsistant right winger Redknapp got too much space, and crossed for Milsom to bullet home. A repeat on 54 minutes saw Milsom double his tally to seal things.

FA Cup 1st Round - Rugby v Salisbury

The Cup gave us an early chance to exac revenge on Salisbury for that league defeat. An early goal from new left winger Matty Knowles put us in the driving seat and a second from Josh Lowe, knocking home a shot spilled by the keeper, seemed to seal it. Against the run of play though, Salisbury staged a fightback, two late goals forcing an unwelcome replay. With our superior depth of squad, it might cost them more over the season.

Signing news - we finally got hold of a decent looking striker - Barry Holdsworth coming in on a free. The scouts rate him Championship level, as good as Milsom. Will we see more goals in future?

17 - Rugby v Rotherham

In a game we'd look to win against mid-table opponents, we played well but struggled to make good chances. Rotherham took a shock lead just after half time, and we let it late, Milsom eventually converting a cross from a free kick to rescue a point with his 10th of the season.

FA Cup 1st Round replay Salisbury v Rugby

Very tricky away tie resulting from our inability to hold onto a commanding lead. A dream start, winnning a penalty in the first minute converted by Moses, quickly turned sour. Ttheir dangerous striker Allen hit a double then as we pressed late on, got hit by an inevitable sucker punch. No complaints, they were the better side

18 - Rugby v Darlington

How the flip did this happen? Utterly dominated, they didn't muster a single shot on goal, but we just couldn't convert our chances.

19 - Tamworth v Rugby

This is more like it! After falling behind we showed some real spirit, firstly with Lowe heading home a cross before new striker Barry Holdsworth got off the mark for us to secure our first win in a few matches.

League table

Squad

Southern Softies - End of October update

League 2

leyton Orient - Mangotsfield

We had plenty of possession but failed to create enough chances.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy South 2nd Round

Mangotsfield - Hereford

More League 1 opposition and we just about did enough to win the game as we actually scored a penalty.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Port Vale

This was a one man show with Dave Arnold on form today, why can't he do that every match?

League 2

Rotherham - Mangotsfield

I'll settle for this result, Dave Arnold on target again.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Bristol Rovers

Only just sneaked it, but we more than deserved to win the game.

League 2

Brighton - Mangotsfield

I'm hapy to get a draw away to the league leaders, they should have won it though.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Accrington

Very disappointed not to win this one as we had enough chances, picking up too many draws recently.

League table

I signed the two players for a combined fee of £170k, both with a 10% of profit from next sale, the best I could do as they asked for 35% each.

Southern Softies - End of November update

League 2

Mangotsfield - Lincoln

Not a vintage performance but we got the result which is the main thing.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy South - Quarter Final

Aldershot - Mangotsfield

This is just unbelievable, another league 1 side away but I was quietly confident. However some awful defending let them back into the game.

FA Cup - 1st round

Mangotsfield - Shrewsbury

Yet another League 1 side, I'm not saying I'm unlucky with cup draws or anything. We were close to an upset when Damien Miles gave away a penalty, idiot.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Luton

Lovely performance as it looks like if it goes to goal difference we stand a good chance. This result actually takes us to the top of the league.

FA Cup - 1st round replay

Shrewsbury - Mangotsfield

Effing brilliant as I'm left cursing my luck again in the cup, ah well, concentrate on the league then. :(

League 2

Stockport - Mangotsfield

This was a poor match as there were 7 shots in total, but any away win will do me.

League 2

Wrexham - Mangotsfield

They slightly edged the first half but we were much better in the second but just ended up cancelling each other out.

League table

A mixed month as we were unlucky to go out of both cups but won manager of the month after some good league performances.

Southern Softies - End of December update

League 2

Mangotsfield - Scunthorpe

An all round good performance as we limited them to very few chances and created plenty ourselves. However it took until the 85th minute to break the deadlock and that was an own goal.

League 2

Blackpool - Mangotsfield

First half we were absolutely useless as they could have been well up, but luckily for us they weren't and we took advantage.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Ebbsfleet

Playing this game in snow and -10C it wasn't going to be easy, we did enough to deserve then win in the end which was good as they were top before the game.

League 2

Yeovil - Mangotsfield

Our run of away draws continue as we really should have won this one with us creating enough chances to win comfortably.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Tranmere

We're only top of the league because of our excellent home form and it continues with an impressive win here.

League Table - now 15 games unbeaten but the away draws are preventing us from running away.

Southern Softies - End of January update

League 2

Mangotsfield - Mansfield

This was too close for comfort in the end as we let them back into the game in the second half. The main postive from the game was Jeff Jackson getting MOM on his debut. :)

League 2

Peterborough - Mangotsfield

Our run of away draws continues as we were ahead twice but against a side in 5th place I'll settle for this.

League 2

Hartlepool - Mangotsfield

Our truly remarkable run of away draws continues as we remain unbeaten but we had a couple of glorious opportunities to win it after their sending off. Thats 5 away draws in a row for the record.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Wycombe

This was a comfortable victory in the end but the first goal took a long time coming and even then it was a penalty.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Grays

Another good home win as we were rarely threatened and got our revenge for the defeat early in the season. This was our 8th home win in a row.

League Table

20 unbeaten \o/

Click to see who's been a naughty boy ;)

Also, Danny Roberts won manager of the month again. :thup:

tbh, I'm not one for rotating players too much, more for a settled team, I only play one striker and Arnold is doing very well there. Oxslow did a great job of giving everyone an equal number of games last season. I'll have a screenie up soon.

Squad stats - I thought earlier I'd give Cropper more games but as you can see Arnold is revelling in the role and Cropper hasn't really done well when come in. Powell is the only striker I haven't given any games to because of his lower pace.

I didn't realise you were playing on up front, makes sense now. I signed Arnold as a target man type striker, looks like he's doing well as a solo striker.

Northern Monkeys - December

20 - Ashford v Rugby

One of those games we should be winning if we're serious title challengers. Played ok in an even match, only difference was that they took their chances, we didn't.

CLC 4th Round - Bristol Rovers v Rugby

Played a strong team for this and dominated throughout, despite going down to an early Bristol Rovers goal. Holdsworth finally netted a deserved equaliser late on, then Rovers were happy to play for penalties. Our record was, surprisingly, perfect and good enough to see us through.

21 - Basingstoke v Rugby

An early Moses pen put Rugby in control, before an odd og from Hamilton pegged us back. We showed character 2 minutes later, attacking midfielder Raw scoring a fine effort to put us back in front, then he netted again rigt at the start of the second half for comfortable lead. We might have etended it, instead Basingstoke pulled a very late one back, but not enough to deny the win.

FA Trophy 1st Round - Rugby v Eastwood

Holdsworth did what he was brought in for, knocking home 2 goals in the first 15 minutes. We completed took our foot off the gas, and despite shipping a sloppy goal, held on for a routine win.

22 - Rugby v York

A match we dominated again, yet could only score the once, a goal harshly given as an o.g.

23 - Bristol Rovers v Rugby

Another trip to Bristol, this time we took the lead and managed to hold on, even though they had more of the game, unlike last time out. In contrast to the Ashford game, away wins like this are precisely the kind of games champions win.

24 - Barnsley v Rugby

A hard away game where we did ok, and seemed to be coasting towards a share of the points until we conceded a late penalty (the biggest stone waller I've ever seen in the game; our full back absolutely halfed the guy, quite amusing) and threw the points away. Disappointing, but few complaints.

After that, we are still top. Despite losing a couple of games, Salisbury aren't in form eaither. It looks like it'll stay tight.

Northern Monkeys - January

25 - Kidderminster v Rugby

New striker Holdsworth is really finding his feet now he's back to full fitness. A bullet header from a corner gave us a first half lead, which we were happy to hold onto. Centre back Scott knocked home after a scramble from a late corner to make it look comfortable.

26 - Rugby v Torquay

Potentially tricky match against a team sitting 6th. It proved an even game, but Moses header early on secured another 3 points. The lack of goals is frustrating, but at least we remain tight at the back.

FA Trophy 2nd Round - Marine v Rugby

You see some entertaining goals at this level. First, a cross from the right was met by left winger Knowles, who miscontrolled it, but saw it dribble into the corner. After shipping a couple of goals, we got back on terms when one of Marine's CB's blasted a clearance off the other on the penalty spot, and it rebounded into the net. The last was class though, Milsom beating a few men and pulling out a fine finish for his first goal in over 13 hours. Marine were the better side, but we'll take this.

CLC Quarter final - Salisbury v Rugby

Absolutely sick of facing this mob. We know it's a tough game against our promotion rivals, and despite looking far fitter than them due to our bigger squad, we again struggled. The goal they eventually scored was a sickener - straight in from a corner.

27 - Rugby v Aldershot

We bounced back from defeat by racing into an early lead courtesy of an o.g. and a headed goal from centre back Scott. Once again took the lead, then sat back, decent result regardless.

28 - Hinckley v Rugby

A game we expected to win easily, against a side facing relegation. We went in a goal down after a poor first half but stepped it up after half time. Lowe was having a shocker and wa ready to be subbed off when he stepped up with a 30-yard stunner. Hinckley then hit one of their own before Josh Hamilton rescued it - banging it home straight from a corner, the 2nd such goals we've seen in the last three games. At least this one was for us.

29 - Rugby v Newport

Newport are another team at the opposite end of the table from us and we were heavy favourites. Unfortunately the side didn't respond well to be told I expected a win. Holdsworth did well to knock home a low cross, but we were never in danger of adding to that, and it was no surprise when they got a late equaliser, courtesy of a penalty.

This lack of goals is very, very frustrating. I'm not sure how we can play any more attacking in style than we're playing already. Hopefully we'll start grinding out the wins again soon - Salisbury are back on form and overtaken us again in the league.

League table

Squad

I strengthened the positions that needed to at the start of the season, for example Brock has been great on the left wing, and signed on a free after being released from Man Utd. The signings I have made since have been more for the future, Jeff 'berty' Jackson has had some excellent performances so far. With promotion looking even more a possibility now the next player should have a large squad in League 1. :thup:

I strengthened the positions that needed to at the start of the season, for example Brock has been great on the left wing, and signed on a free after being released from Man Utd. The signings I have made since have been more for the future, Jeff 'berty' Jackson has had some excellent performances so far. With promotion looking even more a possibility now the next player should have a large squad in League 1. :thup:

I would be wary about signing players for the future in this game. Hot prospects often get lost between new managers if they are not given games or promoted highly enough. With Braintree we lost out on possibly the best centre back in the game because I signed him and didn't give him games at the age of 17, he just sat in the reserves for a season as he was too young and got sold the next year for peanuts.

If you have signed players with high potential, make it clear for the next manager, do not let them sell them. If possible, give them lots of games yourself. This worked for me with Steve Ford, I had a terrible season with him but it set him up nicely to go on and dominate in yesr to come.

Southern Softies - End of February update

League 2

Northampton - Mangotsfield

No prizes for guessing that this was a draw, at least this time we were behind and came back to get the point.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Brentford

Another home win, we survived a couple of scares at 2-1 but we took control after that and Cropper scored after coming on for Arnold.

League 2

Doncaster - Mangotsfield

I guess in the end I would have settled for a draw seeing we lost at home to them, but it would have been nice to get one over them this time round.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Leyton Orient

Our excellent home form continues but only just as we really should have won by more.

League 2

Port Vale - Mangotsfield

Just unbelievable, a moment of sheer crapness from Williamson cost us the game and unbeaten run. He tried to clear the ball and ended up being a lob towards the keeper which a Port Vale player got to first, saying that I don't know how we didn't score though as their keeper was on top form as he got man of the match.

Forgot to save screenie of the league table but we were in third behind Ebbsfleet and Brighton who both don't look like faltering.

Good point dafuge, however if he has the potential to become a good Premiership player it stands to reason that he'll be a top player in League 1 even at 17-18, so I don't think the next player will have a problem giving him games. You did well with Ford and I think you signed him in the Premier League so it would have been a lot more difficult for him but giving him games surely quickened his progress against top sides.

Southern Softies - End of March update

League 2

Mangotsfield - Rotherham

I really don't know what our problem is at the moment, another game we should have easily won but lost to a rare chance for the opposition. The lack of goals is worrying. Another bit of bad luck from the game is we ended up playing with 10 men due to injuries.

League 2

Bristol Rovers - Mangotsfield

Finally an away win and a convincing one at that, and not a moment too soon as we were in danger of falling too far behind the leaders.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Brighton

We didn't have the best of preperations for the game as Cropper who would hae played due to injuries was absent again (now transfer listed). Jamie Powell had a decent game but couldn't find the net, Jeff Jackson got man of the match.

League 2

Accrington - Mangotsfield

We actually get a win when we didn't deserve to which is pleasing, especially after the dissapointment against Brighton. With Ebbsfleet and Brighton both failing to win it's incredibly tight up there again with us now in 2nd.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Stockport

I think it's quite safe to say that if we hadn't scored it would have been some sort of record for most shots without scoring. The fact they had a man sent off early on contributed to that fact, but we couldn't seem to create clear chances.

League 2

Lincoln - Mangotsfield

Another good away win, our third in a row. Again it wasn't too convincing but things are looking good as we go back to the top of the league after a lengthy absence.

League 2

Luton - Mangotsfield

A dissapointing defeat as Brighton overtook us again in top spot. We weren't too bad but their goal was scored in the first minute and not much happened after that.

League table

Southern Softies - End of Season update

League 2

Mangotsfield - Blackpool

We deserved to win this game but we sweated it out a bit in the end as they pushed for an equaliser. Jeff Jacksons goal was a peach as he beat a couple of defenders before scoring.

League 2

Mangotsfield - Wrexham

We were a disalowed goal away from going top of the league on goal difference, however we really should have won by more than the single goal. The win does secure promotion though. :thup:

League 2

Scunthorpe - Mangotsfield

We should be winning games now to win the league and we weren't good enough here, even if we took the lead because we conceded minutes later which was incredibly annoying.

Table update

League 2

Ebbsfleet - Mangotsfield

The worst league performance of the season by a mile, but it showed why Ebbsfleet are up there and are now top.

Table update

League 2

Mangotsfield - Yeovil

After the poor performance last game I'm not surprised that the players were down but this was just awful again. When we equalised I thought go on to win it but we just lost it again, this result all but means we may have to settle for third.

Table update

League 2

Tranmere - Mangotsfield

It would need a minor miracle for us to win the league now as three results had to go our way. We did our bit as it was an excellent away win which left me more annoyed we didn't beat Yeovil as Brighton won at Peterborough, who I actually expected to do better as they have made the play offs.

Final table

Argh, I would have settled for 87 points at the start of the season but to finish second and in that manner is very annoying, I don't know what the difference in prize money is, probably not too much I hope.

Northern Monkeys - February

FA Trophy 3rd Round - Rugby v Cheltenham

A good performance here, the first for a while. After those games without winning, Milsom's fine placed shot from the edge of the area won us the tie.

30 - Rugby v Crawley

A difficult game against Crawley who're third. We fell behind early on, before Matty Knowles popped up from the left wing to equalise. It was heading for a draw when Moses - again - headed home from a corner right at the very death to secure the points.

31 - Maidenhead v Rugby

This dreadful game was heading to a no scoring draw when right at the death, the one piece of skill in the match saw their striker go on a decent run and fire in a paced shot. Shocker of a defeat.

32 - Team Bath v Rugby

Yet another game where we failed to kick into gear. It wasn't until they had a man sent off that we started playing; even then it took a penalty for us to find the net.

FA Trophy 4th Round - Rugby v Aldershot

Mixed up the formation a bit here, playing a lop-sided 4-3-3 with Redknapp up front to the right of two central strikers. It worked a treat when a Knowles cross found Redknapp, who slammed home his first goal for us. Late on, a fantastic counter attack saw Redknapp pick out Holdsworth, who set up young reserve striker Harper for an easy finish.

There was a lot of disharmony in the squad just before the Maidenhead game. I think we simply have too many players, so I'm shipping out a few of those unhappy at not being played, and offering contracts to the ones who're just unhappy due to the lack of harmony. Things seem to have improved a bit, fewer unhappy players and picking up some wins again...

League table

Squad

Northern Monkeys - March

33 - Rugby v Exeter

A rare outbreak of excellent football in the 12th minute saw centre mid Pritchard run into the box, then neatly cut back for his midfield partner Lowe to slam home from the edge of the box. And that was about it...ho hum.

34 - Rugby v North Ferriby

A header from Scott, fine finish by full back McKenzie and penalty from Redknapp put us on easy street before a 30 yard rocket gave them a consolation. Worryingly, North Ferriby are rock bottom and our striker can't even score against them....

35 - Dorchester v Rugby

Another easy game against relegation candidates turned out as expected. Pritchard played well, first heading the opener before feeding Milsom for a shot which almost burst the net.

36 - Oldham v Rugby

Poor game where we had plenty of chances but couldn't find a breakthrough. Disappointing stuff.

FA Trophy Semi Final 1st leg - Mansfield v Rugby

The first in a gruelling series of 3 games against Mansfield of our next 4 matches saw a header from centre back Hamilton secure a valuable away win.

37 - Rugby v Cheltenham

In a fairly even game against play off contenders, Paul Moses converted a corner for the only goal and to put us back top, after Salisbury lost.

FA Trophy Semi Final 2nd leg - Rugby v Mansfield

Barry Holdsworth got back on form here, scoring his first goal in over 15 hours, before setting up Evans for a second. Although Mansfield twice pegged us back, it wasn't enough to stop Rugby for reaching the final and making our first trip to Wembley! Thankfully we face Rotherham, who won the other semi to spare us another tough game against Salisbury

38 - Mansfield v Rugby

Ugghh. Our inal game against bloody Mansfield. We found ourselves 2 goals down after a shocker of a first half. The second was all Rugby, but despite Holdsworth's fantastic strike, it proved only to be a consolation as we slipped to defeat.

At the end of the month, with just 8 games left, we sit one point behind Salisbury who we play next. Barnsley are alos finishing strongly, and are just another 2 further back. It'll be a tight finish...

League table

Squad

Saw this message about a striker in our division. 31 hours without a goal :D Is that some sort of record?

Thanks, it did make it interesting that there were three teams so close to the title, I was just relieved that there are three automatic places in League 2, put it that way. I was watching the other results during my last game, and Peterborough actually equalised against Brighton and had they won it all three teams would have finished on equal points with us top on GD, how I would have loved that. :D

Archived