Wallace v Roberts 2009

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If its Dafuge I expect nothing less than a league win. Anyone else Playoffs will do.

No pressure then :D

I'll have a look at the save tonight but I doubt there will be any games played until tomorrow evening.

Are there any less obvious players that we need to keep or do I have permission to blitz the squad should I think it is necessary (which sounds unlikely after the finish to the season)?

No pressure then :D

I'll have a look at the save tonight but I doubt there will be any games played until tomorrow evening.

Are there any less obvious players that we need to keep or do I have permission to blitz the squad should I think it is necessary (which sounds unlikely after the finish to the season)?

As it's you dafuge, i'd have thought that we'll give you permission to do anything so long as it gets us up! :D Nope, no pressue mate! :D

I pretty much would say that if you think Blitzing the squad is worth it I would go for it. The players who really showed themselves were Jamie Mackey, Jamie Neal, Craig Arnold, and possibly Marko Knight. Stephen Hunter would probably be worth keeping as well, he is young so I probably put too much pressure on him early, but in the second half he was pretty good between the pipes. :)

Hey, mini thread-hijack here, but to raise a point that I think is important, despite not being directly relevant to the challenge.

This is one of the most popular threads on the sub-forum, yet doesn't have a rating so new users can't see its quality at a glance. In accordance with a sub-forum-wide attempt to get ratings onto threads, can I ask people to read this post and then give this thread a rating they deem appropriate? Thanks!

As soon as I posted that I wanted to check if I had rated it so I could avoid being a hypocrite. Turns out I hadn't and that was the 10th rating!

I like that, post then rate, oh it's now been rated. :D Hopefully that will get a bit more interest in the thread leading to the release of FM10.

Fantastic end of season form LLR, and good luck dafuge.

First Impressions

• I was expecting to be able to overhaul the squad in a promotion push but I really don't need to, the current squad is nearly all League 2 standard.
  • The only signings I'll be making are a couple of attacking wingers to suit my tactics, unless anyone outstanding turns up.
  • The finances are pretty poor, £183k in the red. I'm looking to offload a few reserve players to cut the wage bill to rectify this.
  • We finished the form table in 4th, this should hopefully give us a good start to the new season.
  • I'm looking for new signings but it looks unlikely at the moment, I might have to wait until July to pick up someone. I've got a load of players in on trial but none of them are as good as the current squad.
  • Staff numbers are highly limited, nothing can be done there.

First Impressions

• I was expecting to be able to overhaul the squad in a promotion push but I really don't need to, the current squad is nearly all League 2 standard.

I thought I had done well with the signings, but the compliment from Dafuge makes it all worth it and tells me that I shouldn't doubt myself :)

• The only signings I'll be making are a couple of attacking wingers to suit my tactics, unless anyone outstanding turns up.

The only reason I signed no wingers was because of the poor quality of the ones I could find, so I ended up playing through the middle.

• The finances are pretty poor, £183k in the red. I'm looking to offload a few reserve players to cut the wage bill to rectify this.

I never even looked at the finances, whoops. Was too busy worrying about getting us out of relegation haha.

• We finished the form table in 4th, this should hopefully give us a good start to the new season.

I knew our end season form was good, but I didn't think it was that high. :)

• I'm looking for new signings but it looks unlikely at the moment, I might have to wait until July to pick up someone. I've got a load of players in on trial but none of them are as good as the current squad.
  • Staff numbers are highly limited, nothing can be done there.

So its a case of wait and see what else you can find. Good Luck dafuge lets get that promotion we deserve.

Transfer News

I know I said I would only sign a couple of players but I soon found a load of players who could improve our strong squad even further. We now have a squad full of players who are capable of playing in League 2, with a few even higher.

Transfers 1 Transfers 2

Lee O'Brien - Coach Report

Dave Arnold - Coach Report

James Webb - Coach Report

Damien Miles - Coach Report

Simon Neil - Coach Report

Paul Westley - Coach Report

Tom Cropper - Coach Report

Chris Burrows - Coach Report

Richard Taylor - Coach Report

Mike John - Coach Report

Ian Morgan - Coach Report

Richard Logan - Coach Report

I think that should be it, unless we get an injury crisis this squad should be good enough to mount a serious title challenge.

Pre season matches will be up soon.

Those players look good Dafuge, and them with the ones I had l;ast season I cannot see us failing, not only should it be a strong season, but we should be able to smoke home :)

I'm trying not to get carried away but this squad is far too good for this league. We are predicted to finish 6th but I would be surprised if we didn't make a good challenge for the title.

I'm trying not to get carried away but this squad is far too good for this league. We are predicted to finish 6th but I would be surprised if we didn't make a good challenge for the title.

Yeah don't get too carried away :) We need to jsut play our best, but I agree the team looks waaay too good for the BSS lol.

Southern Softies - Pre Season

Kettering    1-1 Mangotsfield
Hitchin      0-3 Mangotsfield
Mangotsfield 1-3 QoS
Mangotsfield 1-1 Arsenal Res
Banbury      1-2 Mangotsfield
Chippenham   1-3 Mangotsfield

Squad Stats

It really was a case of getting everyone fit rather than looking for results as the whole squad was given a chance to impress. New signing Dave Arnold was probably the star of the pre season.

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - August

Boreham Wood vs Mangotsfield

I was hoping for a great start to the season so after just one minute things were not looking good. We played alright but we really rode our luck on the way to a win.

Mangotsfield vs Weston-super-Mare

Once again we went a goal down but this time we couldn't complete the comeback.

AFC Hornchurch vs Mangotsfield

Finally we managed to take the lead in a match, and thankfully we held on for the win.

Mangotsfield vs Bath

Finally, a convincing win. The scoreline may not have suggests it but we dominated the play.

League Table

Can't really complain with that after what seemed like a shaky start.

Squad

Very early days but Dave Arnold made a decent contribution.

Neal yet to score isn't a good look. Dafuge could I ask that you add a score and maybe the goalscorers into the write-up so we don't have to look at the pics necessarily. :)

I was doing that deliberately so people would look at the screenshots, are you having problems loading them?

There is good news about Neal in the no so distant future ;)

No problems for me haha, I just know some people prefer to jhave the info there :)

I'm pretty sure I have been updating like this for the last year or so and no one has mentioned it before. If people would prefer text updates rather than screenshots then just let me know, I do it this way because I prefer to look at screenshots than read just text.

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - September

Oxford vs Mangotsfield

We turned on the style at last in a great win against high flying Oxford.

Mangotsfield vs Barnet

Once again we met a club at the top and once again we pulled out a great result.

Mangotsfield vs AFC Hornchurch (Setanta Shield 1st round)

Yet another dominant display as I kept with the first choice eleven to maintain momentum.

Canvey Island vs Mangotsfield

Canvey were defending superbly so when they grabbed a late goal it looked all over, a late thunderbolt saved us a point.

Mangotsfield vs Carshalton

Simple stuff.

League Table

Thankfully the draws are not holding us back just yet so hopefully we can continue to improve.

Squad

Both strikers are hitting form now with Jamie Neal having a great month.

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - October

Gosport vs Mangotsfield (FA Cup 2nd qualifying round)

After yet another early shock we showed our class. Once again, I went with a strong team in the cup.

Mangotsfield vs Tonbridge

Yet another dominant league display.

Havant & W vs Mangotsfield

This was 1st vs 2nd so it should have been an even game, it wasn't.

Mangotsfield vs Newport Co (Setanta Shield 2nd round)

Once again a strong team was put out and they did the job.

Salisbury vs Mangotsfield (FA Cup 3rd qualifying round)

For some odd reason, Salisbury were favourites for this game. Obviously they knew something we didn't as we struggled to a draw.

Mangotsfield vs Salisbury (FA Cup 3rd qualifying round replay)

We made easy work of the replay.

Mangotsfield vs Hemel Hempstead

What was looking like a simple 1-0 win very nearly turned into disaster.

Bracknell vs Mangotsfield (FA Cup 4th qualifying round)

Finally I had a chance to rest the first team and the reserve players got a game. It took a while but they did the job required.

League Table

Looking good, just need to try and avoid those draws.

Squad

No outstanding player this month but with Simon Neil returning from injury things can only get better.

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - November

Salisbury vs Mangotsfield

We looked set for our first defeat of the season but managed to snatch a point late on in the game.

Mangotsfield vs Welling

The red card made things easy for us as it allowed us to dominate the game late on.

Stevenage vs Mangotsfield (Setanta Shield 3rd round)

A late brace from Jamie Neal gave us a win over BSP opposition.

Wrexham vs Mangotsfield (FA Cup 1st round)

We were unlucky as League 2 Wrexham made the better use of their chances.

FC United vs Mangotsfield (FA Trophy 3rd qualifying round)

Following our first defeat of the season I rested a lot of players and rotated the squad, which seemed to work.

Team Bath vs Mangotsfield

Team Bath were in 3rd so this was a great result.

League Table

The draws are meaning that we are not pulling away from the others but we still look in a strong position.

Squad

Simon Neil is creating goals for both strikers now and as long as that continues we will get good results.

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - December

Mangotsfield vs Oxford City

Pretty simple stuff as two early goals settled the result.

Mangotsfield vs Cheltenham (Setanta Shield 4th round)

Top of the BSS vs top of the BSP. The scoreline flattered us a little but it was a fantastic performance.

Newport Co vs Mangotsfield

Another convincing win.

Mangotsfield vs Aylesbury (FA Trophy 1st round)

A late goal saved our blushes as we were bizarrely outplayed by lower league opposition.

Aylesbury vs Mangotsfield (FA Trophy 1st round replay)

Aylesbury were made favourites for this match and they showed us why. No idea why these lower league teams seem better than the teams in the league above us.

Bognor Regis vs Mangotsfield

A single early goal gave us a win in a game we probably deserved to lose.

Mangotsfield vs Harlow

Battered them for ninety minutes but just couldn't find a winner. Two points lost.

League Table

We are still dropping occasional points but we look good at the top of the table.

Squad

No injuries and firing on all cylinders, things couldn't be better. He was quiet at the start of the season but Jamie Neal is really hitting form now.

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - January

Clevedon vs Mangotsfield

The scoreline really should have been a lot more as we dominated them.

Mangotsfield vs Eastleigh

This was much better as we improved our conversion rate for shots on target.

Mangotsfield vs Forest Green

We made hard work of 4th placed Forest Green as we just about held on for the three points.

Mangotsfield vs Morecambe (FA Trophy 2nd round)

Another decent cup win against a poor Morecambe side.

Rushden vs Mangotsfield (Setanta Shield quarter final)

A goalkeeping blunder gifted us the lead in a great win over BSP Rushden.

Mangotsfield vs AFC Hornchurch

What an awful game.

Mangotsfield vs Boreham Wood

Yet another dreadful draw, we really should have won this game.

Bath vs Mangotsfield

It was looking like a third consecutive draw but than a stupid foul gave away a late penalty that ruins our unbeaten record.

Weston-super-Mare vs Mangotsfield

Things were not looking good as we conceded early in the second half, thankfully substitute Tom Cropper saved us.

League Table

Despite dropping quite a few points this month we have extended our lead at the top to ten points.

Squad

Tiredness is kicking in because of the cup runs so I'm having to rest a few players which might explain the drop in form.

Next month we have a trip to Wembley as we face BSP side Redditch in the Setanta Shield demi final, hopefully a decent crowd will help our finances.

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - February

Droylsden vs Mangotsfield (FA Trophy 3rd round)

We made easy work of the BSN side.

Mangotsfield vs Redditch (Setanta Shield semi final, at Wembley)

Two red cards, two penalties and an extra time winner were all enjoyed by a bumper Wembley crowd of... 100 people. We will face Accrington in the final, who are currently chasing the BSP title.

Barnet vs Mangotsfield

What a match! Dave Arnold single handedly won us the points here.

Mangotsfield vs Oxford

Oxford are challenging at the top of the table so this was a tough match. A late goal snatched a point but we really should have won.

Tonbridge vs Mangotsfield

Usually I'm on the receiving end of games like this but it was nice to get an undeserved win.

Mangotsfield vs Cheltenham (FA Trophy 4th round)

This was a nasty defeat in an even game against BSP opposition. Cheltenham will probably see this as revenge for our 4-0 win over them earlier this season.

League Table

We are edging closer to the title and next month sees us face H&W at home, which gives us a chance to pull away further.

Squad

Dave Arnold has been on form this month.

Next month sees us in the Setanta Shield final where we meet BSP Accrington, hopefully a few more people will turn up to Wembley this time.

edit: for some bizarre reason, the Setanta Shield final is being played at Accrington's ground :confused:

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - March

Mangotsfield vs Canvey Island

A solid performance with the two strikers taking their chances.

Carshalton vs Mangotsfield

After we took the lead they battered us, not the way we wanted to warm up for the cup final.

Mangotsfield vs Accrington (Setanta Shield final)

A Jamie Neal brace sealed our first ever piece of silverware.

Mangotsfield vs Havant & W

This was the big one as we had a chance to extend our lead at the top, in the end it was a huge anti-climax.

Mangotsfield vs Salisbury

It was looking like another goalless draw before three late goals including two headed Arnold goals from free kicks.

Hemel Hempstead vs Mangotsfield

Another dull draw.

Welling vs Mangotsfield

It was a tight game but we finally managed to break them down late on.

League Table

The gap is still ten points so all we need to do is avoid a disaster in the remaining eight games.

Squad

I'm going to need to rotate the squad to be able to cope with playing seven games in April.

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - April/May

Mangotsfield vs Team Bath

The two strikers did their job yet again. We have been pretty lucky with injuries so far but we had two massive blows in this game. Dave Arnold is out for three weeks and our star player Simon Neil has broken his leg and will be out for six months.

Oxford City vs Mangotsfield

We badly missed our star players as an own goal and a goalkeeper error handed us a defeat against a relegation battling side. Jamie Neal is now out injured for a week.

Mangotsfield vs Newport Co

With three key players missing 3rd placed Newport County were tough opposition, so this was a great result. To add the the injury list, Lee O'Brien is out for four weeks.

Harlow vs Mangotsfield

It wasn't convincing but the two strikers took their chances. With the gap at the top at ten points, we have a chance to secure the title at home in our next match.

Potentially big story - the chairman is now 'willing to listen to offers'. There's no news item about it yet but I suspect whoever manages them next will have a takeover to deal with.

Mangotsfield vs Bognor Regis

To blow a 2-0 lead was a massive disappointment, it now means the title must wait.

Eastleigh vs Mangotsfield

This was a performance of champions, and it secured the title for us.

Forest Green vs Mangotsfield

We battled hard for the draw in an even match. Dave Arnold will miss the final game, he's out for a month.

Mangotsfield vs Clevedon

I was hoping to sign off the season in style in front of the home fans but it just didn't happen. Instead we got the odd goal in a dull game.

Final League Table

So in the end the winning margin was the same ten points it had been for most of the season. We were easily the best team in the league but we drew far too many games.

I'll be putting up a brief season summary and a squad analysis up later, along with the save game.

Southern Softies - 2033/34 - Season Summary

Overall I think this was one of the easiest seasons I've had in this thread. The squad I inherited was quality and there were enough players available to make it even better.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

The league was pretty easy for us as we led for nearly the whole season. It could have been more convincing without all the draws but after pulling away so quickly it didn't really matter.

FA Cup - it was a good run but the football league side made easy work of us.

Setanta Shied - our first trophy \o/

FA Trophy - we were looking good but suffered a bad defeat.

Transfers

Wingers were the only players I really needed to bring in, everyone else was just to generally improve the squad.

Squad

Our assistant rates our players as mostly L1/2 standard with the odd Championship potential player so this squad should easily be good enough next year. I suggest that you try to improve the squad but don't panic if no one good enough turns up.

Goalies

Stephen Hunter - was solid enough, easily first choice.

Mike John - backup, unhappy, could be worth selling.

Centre Backs

James Webb - solid defender who should be good for a couple more promotions.

Lewis Stevenson - backup but good enough to step in.

Damien Miles - like Webb, should be good for a while.

Marko Knight - yet another great centre back.

Full Backs

Craig Rose - possible weak link, but still good enough for the BSP.

Jamie Mackey - solid left back.

Richard Logan - versatile backup, maybe not needed.

Glenn Wright - same as Logan.

Defensive Midfielders

Colin Whitney - my club captain, solid player.

Paul Westley - young backup for Whitney, good enough to replace him when needed.

Attacking Midfielders

Luke Bolland - he won't get any better, possibly sell.

Kevin Yates - did well when he played but not great.

Dean Gulliver - the best of the three in a weak position for us.

Wingers

Lee O'Brien - did well but I'm not sure how good he'll be in the football league.

Simon Neil - real quality, could even make it in the Premier League.

Rick King - backup, not really needed.

Chris Burrows - decent versatile backup.

Ian Morgan - was a bit disappointing, could sell.

Strikers

Tom Cropper - did really well as our third choice striker, great player.

Paul Smith - never really got a chance due to the strength of the others.

Jamie Neal - quality striker, should be good for a while.

Dave Arnold - probably our best striker.

Save Game

Archived