Ball Mods

Dagenham_Dave

Does anyone know if there's a download somewhere to have a new match ball. I'm struggling to see the ball in this new game as the areas around the goals are so bright. I also recently downloaded the new pitch textures but they made everything way too dark. The contrast on this year's 3D view is blinding and it's making it difficult to watch the match in this view. I'm thinking a brighter ball might help, as daft as that sounds. 

31 minutes ago, lembergman said:

Yeah, I tried them before, but they are all patterned balls, which still makes it difficult to see. Thanks though. I've reduced some of the graphical settings and it's made it slightly better. 

If you are having issues with the lighting or the visibility of the ball then it is worth raising the issue in the bugs forum if you haven't already.

In the meantime if the FM20 custom balls work, then you can use them as a base and edit them, if you make the patterned graphic all white that should result in a bright white ball or you can make it all Red (RGB 255,0,0) and the game should then still recolour it for winter and you can change the colour from the colours panel in the Preferences Screen if need be.

11 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

In the meantime if the FM20 custom balls work, then you can use them as a base and edit them, if you make the patterned graphic all white that should result in a bright white ball

Sounds like a plan, except I have absolutely no idea how to do that! This is how it looks in the folder...

image.png.c7b61c6e5e74f27bc7f0d7ed1dad38c2.png

There isn't a config file or anything for me to change stuff. Any ideas?

14 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

Hmmm, still seems to be a patterned ball, must be the default one as I deleted the other ones I had in there first.  Assuming this file has to be put in the mesh, then ball folder? I've cleared cache and reloaded skin, but still the same. 

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

Looks like the location of the ball graphic has changed for FM21, so we'll need to wait for the full release to see what has changed.

In the meantime you can change the colour through the Skin Colours panel from the Preferences Menu to see if that will help and log visibility issues in the Bugs forum in the hope that changes can be made for the full release.

1 hour ago, majesticeternity said:

did you restart the game as well? it doesn't really change without a new load of the game.

if you did, seems like it's not working then...

did you try removing that ball folder, cache, reload, etc, then going into Preferences > skin colors, and change the ball color to white?

Only thing I didn't do was restart the game, I'll give that a try. Although given what @michaeltmurrayuk was saying, we might need to wait till full release anyway. 

Thanks for your help on this though, appreciated. 

How do I get this mod to work? I downloaded the file majesticeternity provided, put the four files in \Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2021\mesh\ball, reloaded the skin, I have use skin cache turned off and I restarted the game, but I still see the original ball.

Thanks for any help

9 hours ago, FrazT said:

I think that some balls are licensed and may be hard coded?  I also have not been able to get the downloaded white ball to work in the SPL and it wont change in preferences.

That might be the issue. I'm playing in the Bundesliga and I tried changing the colour of the ball in the skin settings but it wouldn't change in the league. The colour change only worked in the champions league.

On 18/11/2020 at 13:47, majesticeternity said:

Once the archiver is out, we’ll be able to take a better look and test 

That is good news- I think from my checks that the ball colour is hard coded and is uneditable and I am sure that I will not be the only one who is struggling with this yellow ball.  Thanks for the reply and I will check back after full game release

Looks like the problem with replacing the ball textures was because we can now have competition specific balls :cool:

I'll throw up a proper guide when I get a chance but for now the config xml entry looks like this:

<record from="<FILE_NAME>" to="graphics/pictures/balls/<COMP_ID>/default"/>

Graphics look to be just a plain png with 1024x1024 resolution.

The default licensed ball graphics can be found in the graphics\pictures\balls folder after you have extracted the graphics fmf file so you can use them as a reference point for creating new balls.

Just now, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Do you just want a plain white ball for Scotland?, as I can throw one together for you.

Thanks, Michael- I reported it in the beta and Jack Joyce said that they had modified the yellow ball for the full game- thanks for the offer but let me have a chance to actually play the game and see if it better or not

Yes should work similar to logos - if a line isn't present for a competition in the config file then the game should just revert to using the default ball image, though you might need to exit the game to get new ball graphics to show rather than just reload your skin. Also not sure if setting a graphic will override the winter ball colour or not.

• 1 year later...