FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, HotDogManUK said:

I don't see many Dell or HP laptops reccomended is there a reason for this?

I've been looking at the Inspiron laptops and I really like the design so if I got an inspiron 14 or 15 with an AMD Ryzen 5 5500u, integrated graphic, 512GB ssd and 8gb ram there souldn't be any issues should there, like would an Asus Zenbook with the same processor, ram, ssd etc perform any better or worse than a dell inspiron with the same insides?

All the PCs/laptops ive bought in the last fifteen years have been Dell. 

My first buy was HP about 25 years ago.

No reason for it. Buy purely on spec vs price.

16 hours ago, HotDogManUK said:

Thanks mate thats awesome.

It would be £470 for a Ryzen 5 5500U or £550 for a Ryzen 7 5700u. Both have 512gb ssd and 8gb ram in the exact same laptop model and both are comfortably within my budget.

So yeah for £80 difference if it's definitely a better processor for FM I'll get that instead for sure. It will be a FM dedicated laptop too for my travels so doesn't the lower clock speed impact the Ryzen 7 with relation to FM or can I just ignore that and focus on the turbo speed which is better than the Ryzen 5?

All the benchmarks I've seen favour the Ryzen 7 5700U.  :)

12 hours ago, Poison said:

Hello, I'm looking for a PC for ultralight gaming (in general) and I need apu, RAM, mobo (if you know about mobos that is, since you aren't mentioning it in the OP). Budget is 450 euros and you can check here: www.skroutz.gr  Thank you for reading this!

APU: https://www.skroutz.gr/s/32535761/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600G-3-9GHz-Επεξεργαστής-6-Πυρήνων-για-Socket-AM4-σε-Tray-με-Ψύκτρα.html

Motherboard: https://www.skroutz.gr/s/26231145/MSI-B450-Tomahawk-Max-II-Motherboard-ATX-με-AMD-AM4-Socket.html

RAM: https://www.skroutz.gr/s/7730092/G-Skill-Ripjaws-V-16GB-DDR4-RAM-με-2-Modules-2x8GB-και-Συχνότητα-3200MHz-για-Desktop-F4-3200C16D-16GVKB.html

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

All the PCs/laptops ive bought in the last fifteen years have been Dell. 

My first buy was HP about 25 years ago.

No reason for it. Buy purely on spec vs price.

3 hours ago, kevhamster said:

All the benchmarks I've seen favour the Ryzen 7 5700U.  :)

Cheers lads, I've opted for the below at £540 whereas the Ryzen 5 would have been £470.

Dell Inspiron
AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor (8 Core, Up to 4.30GHz, 12MB Cache, 15W)
Windows 11 Home
8GB (1X8GB) Up to 3200MHz DDR4 SoDIMM Non-ECC
512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive
FHD (1920 x 1080) Wide View Angle Anti-Glare LED Backlit Non-Touch Narrow Border Display
Webcam with Microphone
AMD Radeon Graphics UMA
Platinum Silver - LCD Back Cover (Non-Touch Screen), DisplayPort over Type-C
Qualcomm QCA61x4A 802.11ac Dual Band (2x2) Wireless Adapter
4-Cell, 54 WHr Lithium Ion Battery
UK Irish Qwerty Backlit Titan Grey Keyboard
No Optical Drive

It's better than my desktop and can be upgraded too which i doubt I'll need so I'm very happy unless you guys can see a better deal.

A quick google search whilst typing the above and I found this which looks like the exact same specs but is £40 cheaper  :lol:

26 minutes ago, HotDogManUK said:

Cheers lads, I've opted for the below at £540 whereas the Ryzen 5 would have been £470.

Dell Inspiron
AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor (8 Core, Up to 4.30GHz, 12MB Cache, 15W)
Windows 11 Home
8GB (1X8GB) Up to 3200MHz DDR4 SoDIMM Non-ECC
512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive
FHD (1920 x 1080) Wide View Angle Anti-Glare LED Backlit Non-Touch Narrow Border Display
Webcam with Microphone
AMD Radeon Graphics UMA
Platinum Silver - LCD Back Cover (Non-Touch Screen), DisplayPort over Type-C
Qualcomm QCA61x4A 802.11ac Dual Band (2x2) Wireless Adapter
4-Cell, 54 WHr Lithium Ion Battery
UK Irish Qwerty Backlit Titan Grey Keyboard
No Optical Drive

It's better than my desktop and can be upgraded too which i doubt I'll need so I'm very happy unless you guys can see a better deal.

A quick google search whilst typing the above and I found this which looks like the exact same specs but is £40 cheaper  :lol:

A couple of things to note.

I can't see what size screen the Dell has.  The Lenovo has a 14" display.

The Dell only has single channel RAM (1x 8GB) and the Lenovo specs page suggest they use dual channel (2x 4GB) which is actually preferable to maximise performance.

The Lenovo ships with Windows 10 S - you'll need to take Windows out of S mode to be able to install Steam or Epic, and therefore FM as per: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switching-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-4f56d9be-99ec-6983-119f-031bfb28a307

9 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

A couple of things to note.

I can't see what size screen the Dell has.  The Lenovo has a 14" display.

The Dell only has single channel RAM (1x 8GB) and the Lenovo specs page suggest they use dual channel (2x 4GB) which is actually preferable to maximise performance.

The Lenovo ships with Windows 10 S - you'll need to take Windows out of S mode to be able to install Steam or Epic, and therefore FM as per: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switching-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-4f56d9be-99ec-6983-119f-031bfb28a307

It's a Dell inspiron 5415 also with a 14" display. I only want a 14" or under as I already have two bigger screened laptops and 14" seems a perfect size.

I was considering to upgrade to 16gb ram at some point, probably ready for FM23 but definitely for FM24.

The reviews on the lenovo page are quite off putting too with reports of crashes and poor battery life, my other laptops and PC are all Dell too with no issues so I think the extra £40 could be money well spent for quality purposes, do you think the Lenovo is the better option then?

19 minutes ago, HotDogManUK said:

It's a Dell inspiron 5415 also with a 14" display. I only want a 14" or under as I already have two bigger screened laptops and 14" seems a perfect size.

I was considering to upgrade to 16gb ram at some point, probably ready for FM23 but definitely for FM24.

The reviews on the lenovo page are quite off putting too with reports of crashes and poor battery life, my other laptops and PC are all Dell too with no issues so I think the extra £40 could be money well spent for quality purposes, do you think the Lenovo is the better option then?

If the RAM in the Dell can be upgraded, then I'd probably still go with that as the Lenovo one on the face of it would not be upgradeable as one of the RAM sticks is soldered to the motherboard, at least based on the info I can find.

Also, if you're seeing things in the reviews for the Lenovo which have caused you alarm, then I'd say best to heed those warnings to be on the safe side.

14 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

If the RAM in the Dell can be upgraded, then I'd probably still go with that as the Lenovo one on the face of it would not be upgradeable as one of the RAM sticks is soldered to the motherboard, at least based on the info I can find.

Also, if you're seeing things in the reviews for the Lenovo which have caused you alarm, then I'd say best to heed those warnings to be on the safe side.

Brilliant, the Dell absolutely can be upgraded (it supports 32gb and has 2 slots) from the mountain of videos I've watched and it's pretty straightforward too.

Soldered RAM is not worth the cheaper deal for me at all, I had no clue that was even a thing.

I want to say thanks again Kev, you've been such a great help, cheers mate :thup:

7 hours ago, HotDogManUK said:

Brilliant, the Dell absolutely can be upgraded (it supports 32gb and has 2 slots) from the mountain of videos I've watched and it's pretty straightforward too.

Soldered RAM is not worth the cheaper deal for me at all, I had no clue that was even a thing.

I want to say thanks again Kev, you've been such a great help, cheers mate :thup:

You're very welcome. Hope you enjoy the new laptop. :)

Bought my first MacBook (M1 Air 2020) and can say it has been the best FM experience in my life. Runs like an absolute dream. It is also fanless so it is dead silent, no heating issues at all running FM several hours in a row. Battery life is insane.

Don’t even think it´s running natively on the M1, but use Rosetta? So potentially even more gains to be had depending on SI development. 

Hi all,

Let me start by apologising - I’m one of those people with limited tech knowledge and an even smaller budget.

I play FM religiously on my phone but need to upgrade and buy a laptop. I’ve been scouring my refurbs and the most basic piece of kit that will let me run 3-5 leagues, but I’m stuck and I need help.

I’ve been looking at this type of thing - ACER Aspire 3 14" Laptop - AMD Athlon, 128 GB SSD - but purely due to price. Is that good enough?

Very jealous of some of the laptops that people have been purchasing on here. One day. 

thanks in advance 

4 hours ago, ega05th said:

Hi all,

Let me start by apologising - I’m one of those people with limited tech knowledge and an even smaller budget.

I play FM religiously on my phone but need to upgrade and buy a laptop. I’ve been scouring my refurbs and the most basic piece of kit that will let me run 3-5 leagues, but I’m stuck and I need help.

I’ve been looking at this type of thing - ACER Aspire 3 14" Laptop - AMD Athlon, 128 GB SSD - but purely due to price. Is that good enough?

Very jealous of some of the laptops that people have been purchasing on here. One day. 

thanks in advance 

I'm guessing you mean this: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-14-laptop-amd-athlon-128-gb-ssd-silver-10226984-pdt.html

It'll run FM.  Won't be terribly quick, but it'll run the game.  Not sure on the graphics capability on the Athlon but prepare to use lower settings to be on the safe side.

If you state your budget, I'll have a look and see what I can find.

27 minutes ago, Doiggy_2007 said:

If you're only playing FM, I'd go for the first one on the basis of the marginally better CPU.

If you're playing other games as well, I'd go for the second as it has the stronger graphics card.

13 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I'm guessing you mean this: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-14-laptop-amd-athlon-128-gb-ssd-silver-10226984-pdt.html

It'll run FM.  Won't be terribly quick, but it'll run the game.  Not sure on the graphics capability on the Athlon but prepare to use lower settings to be on the safe side.

If you state your budget, I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Anything near £300 would be great. Up to £500 but that might need another payday pre purchase!

8 minutes ago, ega05th said:

Anything near £300 would be great. Up to £500 but that might need another payday pre purchase!

Yeah, can't see anything at £300 or under I'd consider really worth it.  This is an excellent deal for £400 though: https://www.box.co.uk/30031065-Medion-Akoya-E15303-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-_3552568.html

11 minutes ago, DPMUFC1981 said:

Hiya

Could anyone tell me if fm22 will run on one of these, a samsung galaxy book go. Just ordered one in hope it does

If you mean this: https://www.samsung.com/uk/pc/galaxy-book/galaxy-book-go/buy/?cid=UK_PPC_4559977276_FF~Eval:Brand%2BProd_Galaxy+Book+Go_KS~BAP_BS~IM_PR~TAB_SB~GBOOK_OB~SALES_FS~LHQ_AI~N_MT~EXA_CA~KEW_AG~Core_Exact_MK~GB_AT~RES_MD~W_PB~Google_AI~N_PK~ROAS&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAiA_omPBhBBEiwAcg7smWcZgLOhohZLlL4QajvqNPTrsAURWDvwQzAwlPdw6s_W71dp--TQbRoCJ64QAvD_BwE

Then yes, it meets the minimum specs for FM.  The CPU doesn't look very strong through so I don't think it's going to be very quick.  No idea what it's like for the 3D match graphics as I can't really find any info on it.

• SI Staff
19 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

If you mean this: https://www.samsung.com/uk/pc/galaxy-book/galaxy-book-go/buy/?cid=UK_PPC_4559977276_FF~Eval:Brand%2BProd_Galaxy+Book+Go_KS~BAP_BS~IM_PR~TAB_SB~GBOOK_OB~SALES_FS~LHQ_AI~N_MT~EXA_CA~KEW_AG~Core_Exact_MK~GB_AT~RES_MD~W_PB~Google_AI~N_PK~ROAS&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAiA_omPBhBBEiwAcg7smWcZgLOhohZLlL4QajvqNPTrsAURWDvwQzAwlPdw6s_W71dp--TQbRoCJ64QAvD_BwE

Then yes, it meets the minimum specs for FM.  The CPU doesn't look very strong through so I don't think it's going to be very quick.  No idea what it's like for the 3D match graphics as I can't really find any info on it.

The one linked there is an Arm processor, so it won;t run at all unless under some sort of x86 emulator (i forget if windows provides this by default, never used the arm version of windows)

5 minutes ago, EdL said:

The one linked there is an Arm processor, so it won;t run at all unless under some sort of x86 emulator (i forget if windows provides this by default, never used the arm version of windows)

Ah sorry, I didn't realise that.... assumed as the machine ran Windows and clock speed met the minimum specs, it'd be ok.

That's something I've learned today.  Thanks @EdL

9 minutes ago, DPMUFC1981 said:

I won't pretend to know what any of that means haha.

So I'm buggered in other words 

Based on what EdL said, that machine won't run FM.  So, if you're looking specifically for a laptop to run FM, your best bet is cancelling the order or seeing if you can return it without opening it.

51 minutes ago, DPMUFC1981 said:

Does this help??

Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps

Windows on ARM runs all x86, ARM32, and ARM64 UWP apps from the Microsoft Store. ARM32 and ARM64 apps run natively without any emulation, while x86 apps run under emulation.
29 Nov 2021

@EdL

• SI Staff

I'm not sure the fact it mentions the Microsoft store only makes me a bit suspicous, could be the Win 10 S type thing (but there is an escape hatch from that)

If it does work, then as its a fairly weak processor and you'll be running FM with an emulator it will make it even slower.

I would say if FM is a primary reason for wanting this device, I'd be looking to cancel the order and get a x86 processor personally.

Hi, i have a budget of £1400.

I would only play FM22 and occasionally browse the internet. I’d want to play with around 20-30 leagues with a large database  and put a lot of custom graphics into the game including the non league database. Id also be looking at long saves. 

Can somebody kindly point me in the right direction on the best laptops available for my needs. 

Regards, Carl. 

Could anyone possibly recommend me a laptop that would only be used for fm, that could run the 3d match engine at a decent level for £500.   

I know this is a stretch but I was just wondering wether there was a laptop out there that could do I for that budget or wether I would have to spend more 

12 hours ago, carlpne said:

Hi, i have a budget of £1400.

I would only play FM22 and occasionally browse the internet. I’d want to play with around 20-30 leagues with a large database  and put a lot of custom graphics into the game including the non league database. Id also be looking at long saves. 

Can somebody kindly point me in the right direction on the best laptops available for my needs. 

Regards, Carl. 

https://www.box.co.uk/G513QM-HN106T-ASUS-ROG-STRIX-G15-AMD-Ryzen-9-16GB-RAM-_3569894.html

10 hours ago, Sm1thy07 said:

Could anyone possibly recommend me a laptop that would only be used for fm, that could run the 3d match engine at a decent level for £500.   

I know this is a stretch but I was just wondering wether there was a laptop out there that could do I for that budget or wether I would have to spend more 

https://www.box.co.uk/82LN00DJUK-Lenovo-ideaPad-5-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-256_3746804.html

This'll manage medium to high settings with the integrated graphics.

I bought FM21 during lockdown and have been enjoying it vey much. I have a decent laptop that should run the game very comfortably. The first few months the game even said my pc performance was 4,5-5 stars and my game speed 4,5 stars aswell.
A couple of week ago, my pc performance dropped to 2 stars? I haven't downloaded any databases, facepacks or/and logopacks.

Is there something I can do too get those stars back up? It takes minutes just to progress a couple of days.

2 hours ago, LanderCommander said:

I bought FM21 during lockdown and have been enjoying it vey much. I have a decent laptop that should run the game very comfortably. The first few months the game even said my pc performance was 4,5-5 stars and my game speed 4,5 stars aswell.
A couple of week ago, my pc performance dropped to 2 stars? I haven't downloaded any databases, facepacks or/and logopacks.

Is there something I can do too get those stars back up? It takes minutes just to progress a couple of days.

The star rating itself is quite flawed so should be taken with a pinch of salt.  But, if you've noticed an actual decline in processing speed then it's worth checking a number of things.

Firstly, check the machine isn't overheating due to a build up of dust - it may be worth getting a can of compressed air and giving the laptop a go over with it through the vents.

I'd also recommend doing a virus scan to make sure you've not had a malware infection on the PC.

If all else fails, it may be worth doing a fresh installation of Windows on the PC (making sure to back up anything you want to keep). 

Out of interest, what's the specs of your laptop?  If you're unsure how to provide this, follow this guide and post screenshots of the tabs which come up on the report: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

The star rating itself is quite flawed so should be taken with a pinch of salt.  But, if you've noticed an actual decline in processing speed then it's worth checking a number of things.

Firstly, check the machine isn't overheating due to a build up of dust - it may be worth getting a can of compressed air and giving the laptop a go over with it through the vents.

I'd also recommend doing a virus scan to make sure you've not had a malware infection on the PC.

If all else fails, it may be worth doing a fresh installation of Windows on the PC (making sure to back up anything you want to keep). 

Out of interest, what's the specs of your laptop?  If you're unsure how to provide this, follow this guide and post screenshots of the tabs which come up on the report: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

I have done a virus scan and it didn't found any. I will however give my laptop a clean and see if that helps. My laptop doesn't really get that hot but it wouldn't hurt I think.

My specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Video Card GeForce GTX 1050
Video Card #2 Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
Operating System Windows 10
RAM

16 GB

3 minutes ago, LanderCommander said:

I have done a virus scan and it didn't found any. I will however give my laptop a clean and see if that helps. My laptop doesn't really get that hot but it wouldn't hurt I think.

My specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Video Card GeForce GTX 1050
Video Card #2 Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
Operating System Windows 10
RAM

16 GB

As well as your standard Antivirus, download Malwarebytes Free and run a scan with that as well: https://www.malwarebytes.com/solutions/free-antivirus

Specs-wise, your laptop has a fairly decent processor and shouldn't be having much trouble with FM.

Other things to try are to check Task Manager to see if any processes are hogging your CPU, RAM or HDD/SSD and causing the system to slow down as a result.  Also, go to the manufacturer website for your laptop and ensure you have all the system drivers up to date.

Edited by kevhamster

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

As well as your standard Antivirus, download Malwarebytes Free and run a scan with that as well: https://www.malwarebytes.com/solutions/free-antivirus

Specs-wise, your laptop has a fairly decent processor and shouldn't be having much trouble with FM.

Other things to try are to check Task Manager to see if any processes are hogging your CPU, RAM or HDD/SSD and causing the system to slow down as a result.  Also, go to the manufacturer website for your laptop and ensure you have all the system drivers up to date.

I went to the dell website to update all my system drivers, nothing happened. I had no virusses according to malwarebytes.
So the last thing I will do is just do a total reset :/

Not a question - but just wanted to say thanks to Kev and Smurf for this thread - it was hugely useful to skim read through it (along with the benchmark thread) and get lots of good tips and info for getting a decent spec laptop. It's a real old-school useful forums thread that you've ably manned here.

I've been using an 'extra' work laptop for FM the last 2 years, but with a change to that this year I needed to buy my own laptop for the first time in 7yrs and this thread was very useful in that regards.

Cheers fellas :brock:

Ended up with the following spec for a refurbed from Lenovo P15:

●  Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor

●  Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64 - English
●  Display Type: 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) IPS 500 nits Anti-glare w/720p Camera
●  Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz SoDIMM Memory
●  Hard Drive: 1TB Solid State Drive M.2
●  Warranty: 1 Year Standard Depot Warranty
●  Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics and NVIDIA Quadro T1000
Edited by CaptCanuck

Hey,

was looking for thoughts on this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15s-fq4553sa-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10229358-pdt.html#

seems really cheap but states up to 4.5ghz which from my limited understanding should give decent FM performance?

Had been looking around 500-600ish mark when I came across this, so would welcome alternatives. Laptop is for FM mainly, preferably able to play around 5 leagues or so without too much pain. Not too bothered on 3D or graphics side. 

Thanks.

Hi guys

I'm looking to buy a new laptop which will be used pretty much exclusively for FM. I've been trying to do some research and having now found this thread (which I think is great), I've just seen too many options and cannot decide what is best. (I'm not really into tech stuff so trying to analyse the spec on each laptop is baffling to me!) 

My budget is around £500

Any solid recommendations? 

(UK based)

Cheers