Phone Activation Issues? Please Read Carefully...

it does feel as though we are being punished for not having access on the machines we wish to paly the game on. i could understand this if internet access was required to paly the game, but just to access it for the first time? not right.

Even for those in the majority with the internet access, the process has hardly been perfet. Legitimate paying customers are being massively inconvenienced to avoid piracy.

I'd wager you'd lose more paying customers through this fiasco than you would through piracy. Quite apart from that, it's just all-round apalling customer service.

On the Soft Anchor screen I do not even get the option to activate by phone. This simply does not appear anywhere.

YES, I am enterring the code in all capitals. Have you any advice? I find this whole situation to be appallingly handled and totally needless.

The simply fact I have to go through this needless rigmarole is the worst bit about it. I have paid for the game, I wish to be able to play it.

I had the same prob. Try setting up a new user on your computer and try again through that user. For some reason, this worked for me.

yeh i still have a problem with this. I don't have the internet, but theres no saying that would work for me either, with all the problems others are having.

HERE'S MY ISSUE. It's one that has been continually ignored by every technician on this forum.

1. Instaled the game fine.

2. I ran it, Arcsoft popped up, i registered on the phone, pressed 4 to complete and it said i regisered and activated my game successfully.

3. I ran the game again, and it popped up again - not letting me into the actual game. It wanted me to activate for some reason.

4. I gott ****ed off, blew off some steam and activated again in the meantime...to no avail. Same prompt again when I try to run FM.

I called CS, they told me they were unsure since this problem was being caused a number of diffirent things, like ppl having a CD burner installed!!! Now I ask, WTF is this SEGA? If I have a hammer in my hand, does it mean I will smash something?...probably but not neccesairily. What right do you have to create something like this, I realise that nobody is being forced to by the game...but this is an intentional attack on another program i may have...which i don't have by the way so i don't know what the problem is.

I have spent alot of money on the game, $90 AU and probably another 20 calling bloody canada to activate 3 times, as well as CS twice. Not cool here, I mean I have no idea how you made something like this, but the problem can't be my computer beause FM2009 has probably deliberately been made to conflict with programs your company dislikes.

Does anyone here have the expertees to assist me with this problem or should I just return the game and by FIFA manager.

i'm also having problems with the activation by phone, the problem is i haven't even been able to contact the phonenumber for my language, cause unlike mentioned in previous posts it is not by nation, cause i can't find my own country in the list. I'm a dutch speaking belgian and seemingly there's no number available for belgium, only Dutch and french. My question is obvious do I need to form the nationcode for holland(0031) before the number or something else. I did try both (just the 'activation'number and 0031 in front) but got no response on either.

i concur with the others in this thread that I think it is a draconian measure discriminating people without a internet connection. A bit of understanding could be raised when 95% of all pc-or laptopowners did have an internet connection. In europe i know that maybe 25% to 50%(maximum) has internet, so I see no reason to make this bloody activation so annoying. I thought that after paying 50 €, common sense would prevail and installation should be imminent and easy. How naief of me to think that. I feel seriously let down by Sega and SI.

I have installed the game and i go onto anchor to register it..i have already tried to register it once but it cut out half way through and now it only lets me activate it by online and it has no option even visible and says your trial period has expired please visit football manager website which didn't help either ...help????

Guest dazzapom2008

This is a joke! I have been a loyal buyer of this game EVERY year since 1997. This time I have no Internet and I have needed to register it by phone - FROM NEW ZEALAND!!!!! Oh I have to pay an international call to the US to do this and then it doesn't work.......3 times!!! Its cost me over 20 dollars so far and I still can't access my own game that I have purchased with my OWN money!!! Out of principle now, I will chuck this game in the bin and never buy again. Well done SI/Sega or whomever you are these days.........Greed got the best of you too!! If you will refund my phone calls to the US I might consider attempting the game again.............what do you say??

I would like to say a big thank you to customer services at SEGA the person on the other end of the phone was great helped me get registered and even told me why it wasn't working on my second computer. New graphics card here I come.

Just a little thing though SI I don't expect to wait 10 days to play the best game ever.

Loving your work though.

I'm writing this from workplace;

Since there is no number for Croatia is there any point of calling Slovenia or should I call UK immediately? I don't want to rocket my cell phone bill with two foreign calls nor do I want to do "something" to my original.

And one thing that DRM genius should know is that they will hardly beat warez scene as those guys do it just for fun and this only made things complicated for buyers. Why not fill the game with LOTS of bugs that appear only on cracked version?

I had a problem activating by phone too.

I'd get to a certain point and the automated voice would say 'Sorry but we are experiencing problems with our server, please try again later'.

So I waited and tried again, got the same thing, waited, tried again, waited, tried again.

Eventually I got bored of waiting and rang the customer services number in the back of the manual. Got through to a guy who confirmed that my code was correct and he talked me through the process again, and he got the same error.

So I waited, tried again, kept getting the same message... I rang back again and got through to another guys and basically complained about the server being down for so long, he said it wasn't so it was an odd case... he checked my code again and said it was correct... he then said that it appeared as if my code, whilst valid, was NOT registered on the servers and that is why I was getting that error...

So, I went back to the shop and explained the situation (he didn't even blink so I'm guessing it isn't the first time he's heard of it) and he gave me a replacement manual. Got home... first try and it worked...

I would question Sega's idea of making paying customers type in the 16 digit code and response key that many times though. That was pretty ridiculous and actually made me really angry at Sega.

I'd paid my money, like I do EVERY year (been playing since 97/98) and basically felt like it was far too much hassle and far too many hoops to jump through.

So, just so you are aware Sega, there are codes out there that do not and will not work because they are not registered on your server...

How can that happen?

I can understand possibly entering one set of 16 numbers, maybe even 2, but FOUR? Honestly, that's a massively over the top set of hoops for a paying customer to have to jump through to play a game. Given all the other authorisation issues that have beset this launch, I really hope that next year this farcical DRM system is removed. It has done little more than annoy loyal customers and seriously damage the image of the company and the game.

Couldn't agree more. I suppose the point is to make it harder for illegal copies to be produced or something, but who really believes that there isnt or wont be a crack very shortly.

The biggest effect its had is to **** real fans off and i wont buy it if its got that activation thing on it again. Plus i had so much trouble doing it i almost spent as much on phone calls to register the game as i did on the game its self. Hopefully Sega use all that extra money to do market research and find out that they f*cked up on this onne,

Is there any point in installing this on another PC with internet just to get the activation code? This phone activation thing sounds like a monstrous pain in the butt...

No, online activation produces a confirmation key that is valid only for the pc its generated on.

Hi matt got redirected back here by bardi

I have installed fm2009 on my laptop and tried to activate it three times now over the phone as i dont have internet access.

Each time i go through all the steps entering every code given to me perfectly and each time it says activation successful then when i go to launch the game it brings me right back to the activation screen again.

Please could you help me out on this one as im stuck.

Yours hopefully,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Hi matt got redirected back here by bardi

I have installed fm2009 on my laptop and tried to activate it three times now over the phone as i dont have internet access.

Each time i go through all the steps entering every code given to me perfectly and each time it says activation successful then when i go to launch the game it brings me right back to the activation screen again.

Please could you help me out on this one as im stuck.

Yours hopefully,

Paul

I have the same problem and have to say I am very disappointed and ANGRY with Sega and SI for making the activation process so difficult and long winded. Is it a money-making strategy or what??? Sort it out for heaven's sake we have all spent a lot of time and money trying to play this game and I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that this whole experience has left a very nasty taste...

• 3 weeks later...

to be fair, you pay £30 for a game and struggle to even play it. i dont think SI understand that we just want to play football manager. 2007 didnt have many problems, 2008 was a messsssssssssssssssss and now we get this? OMFG SI what the hell? whatever did we do to you? sorry but i had to say this.

• 2 months later...
it does feel as though we are being punished for not having access on the machines we wish to paly the game on. i could understand this if internet access was required to paly the game, but just to access it for the first time? not right.

Even for those in the majority with the internet access, the process has hardly been perfet. Legitimate paying customers are being massively inconvenienced to avoid piracy.

I'd wager you'd lose more paying customers through this fiasco than you would through piracy. Quite apart from that, it's just all-round apalling customer service.

the biggest joke here, is that i bet the guys who are into pirating games probably have this issues resolved in the first few days of release and are banging out black market copies left, right and centre. Whereas the paying customer is being F*cked by SI and sega!!!!

the biggest joke here, is that i bet the guys who are into pirating games probably have this issues resolved in the first few days of release and are banging out black market copies left, right and centre. Whereas the paying customer is being F*cked by SI and sega!!!!

Im not sure you are correct.

I understand your anger but I do not believe SI are trying to make us "ride the hard one", although I believe slightly less that Sega are so concerned - their job is to protect profits primarily after all, and I feel SI would hold dearer any moral obligation to loyal FM consumers.

I guess this thread will now be near closure but I should like to encourage a sensible DRM debate at some point before it is too late for the benefit of FM10 (ie when decisions are irrevocably made!) considering:

1/ Some of the Posts from members have been ignorant or at least naive

2/ Some of the replies from mods / SI staff have been ignorant or at least naive

3/ DRM may not have achieved as was desired

4/ Pirate copies were still attractive to consumers

**the last point being one of consumer education - DRM certainly would have detered me from buying such a copy (not that I would actually) anyway, but it has also discouraged me from buying the REAL product (the fact that the product is superb has nicely countered that now.

Could there not be some tangible reward (I have no idea what) for buying the legitimate item, other than being able to actually use it - bearing in mind that for a lot of us that benefit was not available to us until we had "owned" the product for some time!

I hope this Post is OK, I have whinged about the DRM before but in this case, and hopefully always going forward, I should just like to see reasonable debate about one of the most contentious issues to affect FM/CM games.

..unless of course SI/SEGA have no intention of such a reasonable debate?

Im not sure you are correct.

I understand your anger but I do not believe SI are trying to make us "ride the hard one", although I believe slightly less that Sega are so concerned - their job is to protect profits primarily after all, and I feel SI would hold dearer any moral obligation to loyal FM consumers.

I guess this thread will now be near closure but I should like to encourage a sensible DRM debate at some point before it is too late for the benefit of FM10 (ie when decisions are irrevocably made!) considering:

1/ Some of the Posts from members have been ignorant or at least naive

2/ Some of the replies from mods / SI staff have been ignorant or at least naive

3/ DRM may not have achieved as was desired

4/ Pirate copies were still attractive to consumers

**the last point being one of consumer education - DRM certainly would have detered me from buying such a copy (not that I would actually) anyway, but it has also discouraged me from buying the REAL product (the fact that the product is superb has nicely countered that now.

Could there not be some tangible reward (I have no idea what) for buying the legitimate item, other than being able to actually use it - bearing in mind that for a lot of us that benefit was not available to us until we had "owned" the product for some time!

I hope this Post is OK, I have whinged about the DRM before but in this case, and hopefully always going forward, I should just like to see reasonable debate about one of the most contentious issues to affect FM/CM games.

..unless of course SI/SEGA have no intention of such a reasonable debate?

Personally, I despise DRM and have no intention of buying ANY product that goes beyond a simple CD key for offline activation.

No online sign-ins, activation or limited installs please!

I can certainly understand SI/Sega's motivation for a DRM solution as they want to protect their game from pirates, if only for 24-72 hours after release. However, surely they can see DRM is a deeply flawed solution for their problem? Why not offer incentives for people to purchase rather than issuing a challenge to pirates?

Look no futher than collectors editions of other games - like the gold lancer with Gears of War 2. Obviously nothing as extreme as that but some useful/cool extras (a printed TT&F guide?) sold with the boxed game could surely tip the average gamer towards a purchase rather than a download? As it stands DRM does more to harm customer relations and can only delay piracy for a brief period at best. Is it worth it?

Personally, I despise DRM and have no intention of buying ANY product that goes beyond a simple CD key for offline activation.

No online sign-ins, activation or limited installs please!

I can certainly understand SI/Sega's motivation for a DRM solution as they want to protect their game from pirates, if only for 24-72 hours after release. However, surely they can see DRM is a deeply flawed solution for their problem? Why not offer incentives for people to purchase rather than issuing a challenge to pirates?

Look no futher than collectors editions of other games - like the gold lancer with Gears of War 2. Obviously nothing as extreme as that but some useful/cool extras (a printed TT&F guide?) sold with the boxed game could surely tip the average gamer towards a purchase rather than a download? As it stands DRM does more to harm customer relations and can only delay piracy for a brief period at best. Is it worth it?

Totally agreed!

Here is some FOC market research for SI:

A/"Fans" of game buy the official release

B/ Casual gamers buy at the "right price"

C/Those that cannot afford, despite desire buy the cheapest possible / steal

A/ will buy the official release subject to availability / playability

B/ will not buy on day 1 at full RRP, will either opt for very cheap pirate copy of wait until price of official item drops

C/ Will try the pirate copy if cheap enough

I would suggest that thes "back of fag packet" estimates are 75 - 90% accurate.

It seems to me that hardly anyone would knowingly want to buy a pirated copy, unless they were the type who would not buy the official release at RRP anyway.

How much worthwhile / SI positive effect would DRM have on these assumptions, considering how the problems or inconvenienecs affect group A?

Im still having this problems now iv been playing it on my laptop but its gettin worse for wares now so i want to play it on my pc that has no internet of course when i try to install it the only option they give you is online activation (where did the phone activation vanish to) you ask for help but no one answers you.

As a championship manager and football manager fanactic i think this is a very ugly situation and dis-respectful towards fans.

Do the idiots at SI not realise that the people who want the game ie the fans will buy it a the day its released, those people who dont want to pay for it WONT they just had to wait an extra day or two to get a pirate copy.

To stop clowns from gettin a pirate copy you **** on the fans that have spent hundreds of euros on the genre but the crap we have to go through to play a game that seems to be getting worse with age i for one next year will be stealing a copy of the game and the year after and after that.

If this is the way you treat old and loyal customers then i dont want to be one anymore.

Its a pirates life for me.

Im still having this problems now iv been playing it on my laptop but its gettin worse for wares now so i want to play it on my pc that has no internet of course when i try to install it the only option they give you is online activation (where did the phone activation vanish to) you ask for help but no one answers you.

As a championship manager and football manager fanactic i think this is a very ugly situation and dis-respectful towards fans.

Do the idiots at SI not realise that the people who want the game ie the fans will buy it a the day its released, those people who dont want to pay for it WONT they just had to wait an extra day or two to get a pirate copy.

To stop clowns from gettin a pirate copy you **** on the fans that have spent hundreds of euros on the genre but the crap we have to go through to play a game that seems to be getting worse with age i for one next year will be stealing a copy of the game and the year after and after that.

If this is the way you treat old and loyal customers then i dont want to be one anymore.

Not sure what this little rant will achieve, except gaining you an infraction! - or possibly barred altogether. Let us not get silly and pretend that because of DRM we will be better off with pirated copies. The whole point we should remember is not that only those with pirated copies could play on day 1 but that many people (the majority?) struggled to get the game running. And just to dispel one myth, the pirated copies that were online immediately were cracked demos which fell over at some point anyway (*I think that is correct?)

I would bet "SI" hated and disapproved of the DRM thing the way it was implemented as much as us consumers, it would have been a "SEGA" commercial decision to implement. Perhaps the moral principles that led to the CM/SI split 4 years ago should be considered in relation to the SI / Sega relationship, for the sake of the game's future rather than the (understandable) commercial considerations. Or maybe Sega "care" more than I give them crdit for?.

Cant believe I am still Posting about this after 5 months - but that's how much I care.

The game is awesome!

Phone activation works.

Customer Service can activate you.

There is an offline activation tool.

There are people on here you can ask for help. Hell, I think I've responded to several hundred requests since launch and I'm not remotely related to anyone technical.

And all because you couldn't do something that takes a fraction of a percentage of the time the game itself takes to install?

Perhaps it's your attitude that's the issue?

Not that you'll be reading this, because you'll be banned for piracy. Which is a shame, I hate to lose loyal customers. Good luck with finding that pirate copy though - people were still looking for them in January of this year some 3 months after release, so I hope you're patient.

I would bet "SI" hated and disapproved of the DRM thing the way it was implemented as much as us consumers, it would have been a "SEGA" commercial decision to implement. Perhaps the moral principles that led to the CM/SI split 4 years ago should be considered in relation to the SI / Sega relationship, for the sake of the game's future rather than the (understandable) commercial considerations. Or maybe Sega "care" more than I give them crdit for?.

The game is awesome!

You'd bet wrong - SEGA don't do anything with SI's games that SI don't want, or at the outside, approve of. SI are as sick as everyone else at having their games pirated and pushed for what appeared to be the simplest system of authentication. Unfortunately, we made errors in setting it up which caused the majority of issues.

As for your research - some of your assumptions are fair, others not so much. It's a bigger problem than you'd think and this years release has been an eye opener on that front... that's not to say we'll repeat the same system. I liked HL7's suggestion about adding additional value (although it doesn't stop people pirating the product - that's proven - it generally just justifies a higher retail price) but that's not an avenue that's been popular with SI previously.

Thorny issue, indeed.

I liked HL7's suggestion about adding additional value (although it doesn't stop people pirating the product - that's proven - it generally just justifies a higher retail price) but that's not an avenue that's been popular with SI previously.

So the price of Football Manager would go up to pay for the money SI/SEGA lose from pirated editions? Why would a company do that? Surely at a time like this keeping loyal fans is one of the most important things? Or is this why SI haven't done this?

Or is it possible that this will happen for future versions?

Just realised that every sentence here is a uestion, sorry:p

You'd bet wrong - SEGA don't do anything with SI's games that SI don't want, or at the outside, approve of. SI are as sick as everyone else at having their games pirated and pushed for what appeared to be the simplest system of authentication. Unfortunately, we made errors in setting it up which caused the majority of issues.

As for your research - some of your assumptions are fair, others not so much. It's a bigger problem than you'd think and this years release has been an eye opener on that front... that's not to say we'll repeat the same system. I liked HL7's suggestion about adding additional value (although it doesn't stop people pirating the product - that's proven - it generally just justifies a higher retail price) but that's not an avenue that's been popular with SI previously.

Thorny issue, indeed.

Much appreciated reply. Am reassured by your attitude, I was wondering if the Colyer's original work of genius was turning into Frankenstein's monster (I mean this only as a marketable "product", the "game" is excellent in my view) in the wrong (overbearing) hands, but your feisty tone assures me that I need not worry.

As I have also suggested before, adding value to the official product I really do believe would be a good avenue to explore - needs a good cost effective but essential "musthave" idea to work though, of course (a velcro or magnetic pitch marked board with 22 "dots" for working out tactics (is my only idea so far), or maybe 66 dots (11 x 2 each of a different colour with each of the 3 sets having a red, green or neutral dot). The idea being that you set out the current formations, yours versus AI's and adjust their "mentality" (forward/backward position in relation to their "starting" position, as ascertained from in match feedback), starting with all neutral dots & switching to red (below average rating) or green (better than average). At a glance you would see your advantaged / disadvantaged areas for exploiting.....just a thought (Oh dear, how geeky am I?). This does not take into account the cost of producing such!.

You have admited that it was not just the DRM idea but your own implication of it which went wrong which I think to loyal fans like myself who are still smarting from the 14/11/08 debacle, that is a comforting thing to hear. I am serious, no sarcasm intended, we all make mistakes the key is learning from them.

I really do believe though that unless a pirated copy was handed to your majority of FM fans on a plate then they would buy the official product regardless - UNLESS they could not afford it in which case they could not buy it anyway.

It must be remembered that the perception by the consumer of how instantly accessible the official product is will drive the decision whether to purchase a pirate copy, regardless of the risk that such a copy may be flawed, to those that are that way inclined.

Hope my ideas are worthwhile & worthy, am now off to make THAT tactics board! LOL

Archived