FM09 is slower than FM08.

Yeah, that's loads, but not unheard of (my mother in law's laptop was running 79!!). The best thing I can advise is to set aside a couple of hours, open Task Manager, open your MS Config (Start - Run - type "msconfig" (no quote marks) - press go - go to the last tab "Start Up"), and open your services box (Start - Run - type "services.msc"). Next open Google, and Google each of your processes to find out what they are - Process Library is a good website to check also.

MS Config helps stop processes opening at start up, but services.msc is brilliant for sorting it as well. I'd literally go through each process and Google each one to see what it is and whether it's necessary.

If you get stuck, feel free to post in this thread, as it should make FM run a bit faster, so I think it is relevant.

A nice side effect of all this is you'll find Windows starts up and shuts down much faster.

:thup:

PS - I had a purge recently, and when I start up I now run only 22-24 processes, which I'm very pleased with. Basically, I killed all the crappy updaters that I had running.

could you please tell me how i can open the MS Config in Vista?

People usually over look this but, do a defrag.. you'd be amazed what a difference it makes.

I defrag several times every day, FM09 has always been at a crawl for me - as I've said before, it's been reported by several people that it hogs the processor even when idle.

Personally the game runs fine on my pc, doesnt seem any slower than '08.

However the tactics screen is very sluggish, moving things around can be very hit and miss.

Its not my PC as its pretty beefy, Core 2 Duo processor at 3ghz, 2gb Ram , 10k Rapotor HD , yada yada yada..

how do you do both?

Right cilck anywhere on your desktop.

Go to properties

Go to setiings. (the last one on the right)

Adjust to 1024/768 pixels

Start game.

Go to Display and sound settings on FM

Set to window mode ( make sure you do this after you adjusted the pixels)

The scrollers should run faster then.

Make sure you have the Min processers running too:thup:

If windowed mode is greyed out...

Right click FM shortcut...

Type.. -small_screen -windowed. in target on Apps at the end of "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe"

Hope this helps

Hello Mate,

My windowed mods is greyed out and I am struggling to find where to type 'small_screen -windowed.'

I have a Steam shortcut, do I right click this and then go into properties? If so where should I type it? I see the 'target' box but this is under the tab called shortcut not apps. I just want to make sure I get this right....sorry for the repetition.

Should I restart the game after I have done this?

Thanks

Hello Mate,

My windowed mods is greyed out and I am struggling to find where to type 'small_screen -windowed.'

I have a Steam shortcut, do I right click this and then go into properties? If so where should I type it? I see the 'target' box but this is under the tab called shortcut not apps. I just want to make sure I get this right....sorry for the repetition.

Should I restart the game after I have done this?

Thanks

Hi.

yeah you..

- Right click properties on shortcut.

-"Target" option under " Target location" :Football Manager - paste in there at the end

- Don't need to restart should automatically come up.

Hi.

yeah you..

- Right click properties on shortcut.

-"Target" option under " Target location" :Football Manager - paste in there at the end

- Don't need to restart should automatically come up.

Sorry to bother you again Tilton but I just pasted followed the above instructions but the windowed option is still greyed out.

I am not sure if it has anything to do with the shortcut being a STEAM shortcut and not saying anything about Football manager in it??

Here what I ended up with in the target box...... "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540-small_screen -windowed.

Does that seem right?

Cheers

Sorry to bother you again Tilton but I just pasted followed the above instructions but the windowed option is still greyed out.

I am not sure if it has anything to do with the shortcut being a STEAM shortcut and not saying anything about Football manager in it??

Here what I ended up with in the target box...... "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540-small_screen -windowed.

Does that seem right?

Cheers

Hi mate.

Not too sure if its any different on Steam should'nt be.

Try putting a space after 10540

So it should look like this

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540 -small_screen -windowed.

I had to put a space in on mine..did'nt work unless the space was in

Hope this helps m8.

it's horrible having a slow computer - i feel so inferior to everyone else. i was on fm for a few hours y'day and i'm just coming up to the start of season, it's the slowest one yet for me - i can't even get 3D ..boohoo

anyway this is a good thread for people like me who can't afford a new laptop just to play one game so i shall be watching and learning with a keen interest :-D

Hey guys.

Found a pretty nifty tool that someone posted up a week back..

This is the updated version.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

It analysis and can help speed up PC, Has a powerfull defrag tool in aswell (found over 33000 problem even after I did a system defrag a few days back)

Loads of other features..have a play around with it..and its completely FREE!! for personal use.

Just thought it might help improve the speed of FM09..worth a try

Hey guys.

Found a pretty nifty tool that someone posted up a week back..

This is the updated version.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

It analysis and can help speed up PC, Has a powerfull defrag tool in aswell (found over 33000 problem even after I did a system defrag a few days back)

Loads of other features..have a play around with it..and its completely FREE!! for personal use.

Just thought it might help improve the speed of FM09..worth a try

Thanks for the help Tilton......got the windowed screen but had to re-load game.

It has improved everything exept the match engine.....timer still super slow and takes a while to set up just 2d highlights.

I might try re-installing without STEAM tough I got the old graphics error message when I tried that over the weekend and couldn't even load the game up.

Cheers

just two quick things im hoping someone can help me with so i can get back to enjoying the best game on the planet at an acceptable rate.

How do i defrag the disk?and what does that do

And what is the easiest way to put in windows mode and what exactly does that mean?

I no i sound like a ****** but just want to know whats going on.

just want my game to be faster!

By the way is anyone experiencing an odd black flicker on their screnn when FM is processing??

I find it the same or faster. I am running 49 leagues and have retained all players from the top 75 countries. It runs normally.

Using hyperthreading helps alot, as does having alot of RAM, a good graphics card and almost no useless processes (like virus scanners, indexing, etc) running. I only run the bare essentials for Windows and the rest of the CPU power is saved for FM.

it all runs smooth as pie on my pc except when starting a new game the finding manager targets section takes ages, it used to be about 2 mins to load about 35 leagues where now it takin like 10 mins. i have a quad core, 4 gig ram and Radeon HD 3870 card so it should load faster than that.

Any official comment on this? I have twice the required RAM to run FM09 and don't start talking about other processes and all this nonsense when I formatted my computer a week ago and I'm sensible with hidden processes and start-up processes etc. In my opinion, I am waiting longer to play a worse, bug ridden game. The 9.2 patch needs to be released ASAP and someone needs to tell us if the game speed is going to get better or it's just bad this year.

Thanks in advance.

FarCry 2 is slower than FarCry

Half-Life2 is slower than Half-Life

Fallout3 is slower than Fallout2

Guess what? Games get more sophisticated and demand more of your system and tend to get slower.

That's not rellevant for FM09, because the 2d match engine has exactly same graphics as FM08, and runs very slow.

OT: So, anyone found a solution to make his FM work faster? I mean a really useful one :).

Oh god.

Just checked all unknown processes on processlibrary.com and there was 4 Trojans. :S csrss.exe ; ctfmon.exe ; lsass.exe ; smss.exe.

I know it's not a forum, where I should ask help about PC related problems, but maybe someone can tell me how to get rid of them.

Oh god.

Just checked all unknown processes on processlibrary.com and there was 4 Trojans. :S csrss.exe ; ctfmon.exe ; lsass.exe ; smss.exe.

I know it's not a forum, where I should ask help about PC related problems, but maybe someone can tell me how to get rid of them.

I know I was wondering the same..

The processlibrary have identified as trojans..but according to Gillsman -DONT CANCEL

Would be nice if someone can offer some feedback.

ok so i'm not worried about the 3D pitch as the reviews haven't been too hot.. but i think the general support from si has been poor in terms of helping people with low-spec pc's - the advice is basically buy a new one - which is impossible for me at the moment by the way - i understand the game moves on but i could play any of the previous incarnations fine and i understand if you take the 3D pitch away i should be able to get it working as well as the 08 version - whilst not ideal it would be better than wasting £30 of my hard earned cash.. so anyway after defragging, re-installing, doing the disk clean up thing is there any more i can do?

ok so i'm not worried about the 3D pitch as the reviews haven't been too hot.. but i think the general support from si has been poor in terms of helping people with low-spec pc's - the advice is basically buy a new one - which is impossible for me at the moment by the way - i understand the game moves on but i could play any of the previous incarnations fine and i understand if you take the 3D pitch away i should be able to get it working as well as the 08 version - whilst not ideal it would be better than wasting £30 of my hard earned cash.. anyway other than a defrag' date=' re-install, disc clean up is there any more i can do?[/quote']

reinstall your OS from scratch if you haven't done it for a long time, 1 year +

What I found interesting was that with FM09 running idle (i.e. on Squad screen, not doing anything else) on my MacBook I have difficulty running DVD Player.

This wasn't an issue in FM08 where both would quite happily run side by side? This suggests that FM09 requires greater resources when it isn't actually doing computation?

On that site it says SVchost is a virus or trojan..is that correct??

Not necessarily, but it can be. Basically, SVchost is a generic name for Microsoft processes (mostly dll - dynamic link library I think). You'll probably have more than one SVchost running, and afaik there's no way to determine whether or not your particular instance is a virus. Some viruses disguise themselves as an SVchost process, but in all likelihood, you're probably OK.

Archived