JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**End of Season Update - Domegliara - Serie A - 2021/22**

Transfers

So a new season, and new hopes for the fans. It's been a year since the second place and the fans would dearly love to be back there, so with this in mind the Domes manager set about fixing the perceived weakness on the left-wing of the team with 3 players brought in to cover the area.

The most exciting transfers arrived in January with two players who have managed to make a name for themselves in the red and black of Domegliara during the European campaign. Barbera, a talented, young centre-back, arrived from Fiorentina and Guarino, the 16 year-old striker arrived for 200K from Ravenna. Screenshots will follow.

League

The league was a disappointment in the end. The team started reasonably, picked up mid season to get in to the Champions League Spots, but then fell away towards the end of the season finishing in 8th. Outside even the Uefa places.

Cup

After last year's Cup final defeat to Roma fans of Il Nuovi Rossineri were hoping their team could go one better. Unfortunately the Quarter-Final this season drew the team against Roma (my ulitmate bogey team in this universe my record is 0-3-11!) and we didn't alter that record succumbing to a 3-1 defeat.

Europe

After last season's good performance in the Champions League there was a lot of hope around the camp going into the UEFA Cup. It proved well founded as we breezed unbeaten through the group stage. Shakhtar were dispatched in the 1st knockout round to set up a tie with Real Madrid. They too were eliminated to meet PSG in the quarters a 3-0 victory at home was followed by a 2-0 win away to get through to the semis where we faced Porto. This was the tightest game so far and coincided with my awful end of season domestic form. A 1-0 home win followed by a 2-2 away put us into the final to face Lazio. A surprisingly comfortable 2-0 win gave us our first major trophy and made sure we were in Europe for next season too.

Players

Steven Willems - The veteran left-winger had his final season in the squad. His contract runs out at the end of the season and I'm not going to offer him a new one.

Holger Wagner - a decent season for Novello's back-up.

Matija Vida - very much a back-up at right back.

Antonio Velardi - another good season for the central midfielder. He has been made captain too.

Igor Sviridov - hasn't been the key player he was in his previous stint at the club. Good back-up though.

Srdjan Stanisic - I'm disappointed with the progress he is making, it looks as though he may turn into no more than a decent back-up player. Still has time for it to change though.

Jurgen Schumacher - brought in as one for the future, but played a few games and scored some nice goals. A good first season for the youngster.

Emilio Rinaldi - started the season in fantastic form, but rather like the team as a whole his form tailed off in the run-in.

Gerson Ramirez The youngster continues to improve and is being given more games.

Artur Pestana - another dominant season from the Portuguese 'keeper, he is into his 30s now, my oldest player.

Cesare Pelusp = played more games last season he has not quite fulfilled his potential.

Diego Pastore - season upset by a long-term injury, he was fantastic in European football but mediocre domestically.

Marco Novello - he's into his 30's now too and has broken Casisa's appearance record.

Luigi Mariani - bafflingly unprolific.

Giuseppe Magnani - fewer appearances but he is still a decent winger.

Anton Iljin - still first-choice right-back.

Frank Heß - been around for such a long time he feels part of the furniture.

Ben Hansen - like Mariani, he should score more.

Filippo Guarino - arrived in January as a 16 year-old and made a huge impact on our UEFA campaign.

Fuentes - can't remember his first names and can't be bothered to look - he hasn't played a big part in the team, I'm looking to sell in the summer.

Ben Dladla - the strong defender is an important part of the squad.

Claudio Di Mauro - an excellent midfielder who is looking to leave Domegliara for the second time in his career. A new contract tied him down though.

Gianfranco Dalla Bona - he is still a top class prospect but his progress has stalled in the last couple of seasons.

Stephen Carriero - the young goalkeeper is established as the number 2, but Pestana's form stops him making any appearances.

Leonardo Barbieri - very useful back-up full-back.

Sergio Barbera - top class central defender in the making.

Awards

Top Scorer - ?

Highest Average Rating - ?

Can we play you every week - ?

Fan's player of the Season - Marco Novello

Youth Player Watch

Pier Luigi Farinelli - at Bordeaux now.

Aldo Mazzini - moved to France too.

Diego Pastore - still in the first team

Gianfranco Dalla Bona - still here

Stephen Carriero - club's number 2

Giuseppe Esposito - spent the season away on loan at a feeder, may have found his level

Vincenzo Fiore - looks like another decent prospect.

Other News

Not much I can remember

Aims For Next Season

-Champions League Place

-retain UEFA Cup

-Italian Cup run

Records

I'm afraid I've forgotten. This is why I should do them straight away.

Best Elevens

21/22

Overall

Story So Far

Season			League			Position			Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10			Serie C2/C		1st				Champions!
2010/11			Serie C1/B		1st				Champions!
2011/12			Serie B			8th				
2012/13			Serie B			11th
2013/14			Serie B			11th
2014/15			Serie B			2nd				Promoted!
2015/16			Serie A			19th				Relegated
2016/17			Serie B			1st				Champions!
2017/18			Serie A			11th				
2018/19			Serie A			10th
2019/20			Serie A			2nd				ECL place!
2020/21			Serie A			6th				UEFA place
2021/22			Serie A			8th				Won UEFA Cup

Trophy Cabinet

Serie C2/C - 2009/10

Serie C2 Super Cup - 2010

Serie C1/B - 2010/11

Serie C1 Super Cup - 2011

Serie B - 2016/17

UEFA Cup - 2021/22

Previous Updates

2009/10

2010/11

2011/12

2012/13

2013/14

2014/15

2015/16

2016/17

2017/18

2018/19

2019/20

2021/22

Well it looks like another loss to Roma. 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go. Why can't I beat them! It's so frustrating.

I know the feeling. Real Madrid are the same for me on my save. Have no idea how to even compete with them, never mind beat them. Lost the Super Cup to them already this season.

Best of luck with the new season and congrats on the UEFA Cup :thup:

PRDH - congrats again on UEFA Cup win. just about makes up for the league disappointment. good players you've got - as for Guarino, he's got a BIG future ahead of him. hopefully you can keep him and he could be better than Pastore......

good luck this season - concentrating on the league would be what i'd do......

PRDH - congrats again on UEFA Cup win. just about makes up for the league disappointment. good players you've got - as for Guarino, he's got a BIG future ahead of him. hopefully you can keep him and he could be better than Pastore......

good luck this season - concentrating on the league would be what i'd do......

He looks a cracker doesn't he!

Pastore has rather gone off the boil recently, he's not doing well in the scoring stakes, he's still looks a quality player. I wonder whether it's my tactics. Though they are the same as I used in my career game that won leagues in England, Spain, and Denmark

Richard Lipscombes' Summer Secondment......

So, as a second game to run alongside my Real Oviedo game, i first had a dabble in both Germany and Portugal, before returning to my original home of France.... My team? FC Martigues. And here i am.....

First off, a little history lesson courtest of Wikipedia......

The club was formed in 1921 and played regional football until the early 1970s when the club gained promotion to the professional Second Division.

The club's greatest achievement was winning promotion to the French First Division in 1993. The club played for three seasons in the top flight, until it was relegated in 1996. A failed attempt to win promotion at once was followed by relegation to the National (third level) in 1998. Two years later the club won promotion back to the Second Division, but only remained at that level for two seasons.

In 2002, the club was relegated to the National again and after another near miss at promotion in 2003, financial problems saw the club go into liquidation and reform in the regional CFA league. They finished 2006-2007 season in National as 14th. They relegated to CFA in 2007-2008 season as 19th.

The club plays at the Stade Francis Turcan (capacity 12,000) and their chief rivals are FC Istres.

Famous players who have played for Martigues include: Stéphane Pounewatchy, Ali Benarbia, Eric Cantona, Éric Di Meco, Noé Pamarot and Tomasz Frankowski.

I inherited a decent squad, and so settled on strengthening rather than an overhaul. i'll introduce the players another time, but i'm happy with my squad by and large. The only problem i have is with finances..... Oh my God!! :eek: i've never lost as much money so quickly!! we're averaging a loss of around £200k a MONTH in the early stages of the season..... :( that will take some serious work to turn around.....

i'll provide more insight into the club and my developments in good time......

I know the feeling. Real Madrid are the same for me on my save. Have no idea how to even compete with them, never mind beat them. Lost the Super Cup to them already this season.

Finally got a result over Real, a lucky 1-0 home win despite being outplayed for the entire game :D

Well done daemonic. Hope it bodes well for my next encounter with Roma.

Well we won't have to wait long to find out . . . I've been drawn against Roma in the Quarter-final of the Coppa Italia.

And so the game begins. I'm missing my left-winger that I signed at the beginning of the season - (yes another one!) - as I have just sold him in Jnauary to Juventus for £23.5M, bought him for £11.25M.

Kick-off

5 mins - Novello breaks up the right wing, whips the ball into the near post, where Pastore is on hand to head home. 1-0!

18 mins - Roma equalise from a free-kick on the edge of the box. 1-1

27 mins - Roma take the lead with a header from former Domegliara player Antonio Pellegrini from a corner. 1-2

43 mins - Novello again surges up the right, slides it in to Ramirez who calmly slots it home. 2-2

45+2 mins - The Domes have a free-kick on the touchline. Rinaldi swings the ball into the back post. Hansen tries his hardest to get on the end of it and side-foots home. 3-2

Half-time - 3-2

56 mins - Roma score. 3-3

68 mins - Aguero scores for Roma. 3-4

83 mins - It's that man again. Novello collects the ball, feeds it through to Pastore who beats two men, before placing the ball into the corner from a tight angle. 4-4

90 + 0 mins - Rinaldi swings in a free-kick to the back post. Barbera rises and nods it past the 'keeper. 5-4!

92+3 mins - Roma have a corner. Swing it over. Pellegrini rises and heads it goalwards. Pestana beats it away, and Dalla Bona starts the counter. Feeds it forward to Hansen who makes it to the by-line. Crosses it to Pastore. Pastore controls it lays it back to Di Mauro who places it into the bottom corner. 6-4.

Full-time - 6-4 and Domegliara have finally beaten Roma! They go into the Semi-finals of the Coppa Italia!

Man of the Match - Diego Pastore - 8.6 - 2 goals and an assist from the home-grown talent!

I'm doing a dance - but have been drawn against Inter in the semis. Never mind. You have to beat the top teams at some stage!

The January transfer window has just slammed shut so I feel I should introduce you to the new faces that have appeared at Domegliara Stadium this season.

So, here we go.

First through the door and the only signing of the summer window was Filippo Mazzola - another left-winger (I seem to have become obsessed!) he arrived in July for £11.75M and left in January for £23.5M - a healthy profit for 6 months service.

Next in were a group of youngsters whose deals were confirmed whilst the window was closed.

Michael de Leeuw (Dutch, CM) arrived from Roda JC for just under £2M, he is one for the future. He could be the spiritual successor to Casisa.

Next through the door was the Lithuanian midfielder Tadas Klimavicius (who must win the prize for best name) for another £1.7M. He is good enough for back-up and young enough to have a chance to make it into the first-team squad.

Then came the Danish winger Soren Jensen, at 15 it is a big move away from his homeland and I'm hoping that Bent Hansen who made the same move at about the same age will help him settle in. He has excellent physical stats for a young man.

The final youth player to be plucked to join the Domegliara set up is Frenchman Vivian Mougin, a young goalkeeper. He needs to work on his positioning, but otherwise looks like an excellent prospect.

Another youngster was bought in a co-ownership deal but left to play at his current club for the time-being. Daniele Marrone is another left-winger, and looks to have a bright future.

After Mazzola left a first team left-winger was also needed, so the Domegliara manager went to Torino, where, due to his friendship with their manager, it is reckoned he picked up a bit of a bargain - Stefano Rinaldi (yes another Rinaldi) joins for £7.5M and has, in his first 4 games (2 as a substitute), scored 3 goals and got another 2 assists.

Not yet satisfied with his dealings the manager of Il Nuovi Rossoneri returned to Torino and took their other winger Daniel Rus - he is a Romanian right-winger, and with Novello now into his 30s, has been brought in as competition for him and as an eventual replacement.

There were also a few departures helping to fund the manager's moves in the transfer market. Generally of players who have not quite fulfilled their potential.

Well it looks like it's going to be a fairly tame surrendering of the UEFA Cup. We're currently playing Feyenoord in the 1st Knockout Round. We lost 2-0 in Holland and are currently 1-0 down and down to 10 men in Domegliara. Well at least it will allow us to focus on domestic form.

Well we made a fight of it. We won the game 3-1 to lose on away goals. It's probably a good thing. I don't really care about winning the UEFA Cup anymore. I've got one, which will be nice for completion's sake when I'm heading for the bigger prizes, but really more than one is just greedy, doesn't get you much cash either. All-in-all not too disappointed. Next up Roma in the league, time to see if the earlier result was a sign of the changing tides in Italian football, or just an anomaly.

RW Essen, Season 6, 2014-15 - German Second Division

Predicted - 12th

Finished - 8th

League Table Link

Past Positions

Squad

Transfers

'Team of 2014-15' (this is my team of the season, and wont always be the same as what the AI chooses).

GK - Adrian Murcia Rodrigruez, 23, Spanish

DR - Kai Bastian Evers, 25, German

DL - Sven Schaffrath, 29, German

DC -Malte Metzelder, 32, German

DC - Sven Schaffrath, 30, German

MR - Salvatore Gambino, 31, German

ML -Manuel Bernardini, 21, German

MC - Nils-Ole Book, 29, German

MC - Steffen Haas, 27, German

ST - Nicola Esposito, 24, Italian

ST - Matias Fetsch, 26, German

Career History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season League Pos Pre Cup Europe Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10 Third Division 8th 17th N/A N/A None
2010/11 Third Division 3rd 16th Qtr Finals N/A Lost in play-off semi final
2011/12 Third Division 2nd 4th Qtr Finals N/A Automatically Promoted
2012/13 Second Division 12th 17th 2nd Round N/A None
2013/14 Second Division 10th 14th 2nd Round N/A None
2014/15 Second Division 8th 12th 3rd Round N/A None
[/Code]

2009-10

2010-11

2011-12

2012-13

2013-14

2014-15

AD Universidad de Oviedo - Segunda Division 2B - Christmas 2014

As previously mentioned the Summer was highly successful until August 30th. I had managed to sign 7 players on frees, all looked good and most played in positions in which I needed players. First all was a backup (well he was at that stage) DC from my parent club. Then it was onto the trial day and several more joined because of that. I desperately needed an MR so I was overjoyed when a Segunda Division standard one joined. 3 DMC or MCs (all better than what I had last season) joined along with a backup AMC and a DR (not needed but better than Alex). This meant that apart from the usual youth, a few regulars from seasons past would need to be got rid off. First of all my useless ST from last season went for £20k whilst I managed to get nearly £100 for Nevado and Ordonez. Rejas went on a free whilst a couple of others stayed as no-one offered money and they might be needed.

I was very happy with all these dealing and was confident as the opening game approached. This was until August 30th, when, of course, Eneko Herrero departed leaving me defensively a bit weak. I was grateful that one of those bid-free players I tried to flog was my 4th choice DC, he immediately came off the list and became my 3rd choice DC.

So, first up was a repeat of last season's opener as Palencia visited, and as mentioned previously, we totally and utterly thrashed them 6-0 :eek:. 2 more victories without conceding a goal (admittedly against relegation fodder) and we were top and in great form.

We then visited Ponferradina and it was an unmitigated disaster. We were undeservedly 3-1 down at h/t with the 3rd goal coming in the 6th minute of injury time (you will soon see why there were 6 minutes of it). On top of that they had basically murdered my team; first choice DC carried off (out for 4 weeks) and 4 others injured :mad:. I dared only replace the worst hit so the we played the 2nd half with 8 fit players. We obviously capitulated and lost 6-1 :(; our worst ever defeat. That match left me with no fit MLs, one injured and one barely fit MR and injuries to my first choice ST, DR and DC. Fantastic :rolleyes:. I was not particularly shocked when we only managed a dire 1-1 draw at home to a freshly promoted side, nor when we lost at Las Palmas in the next match. A 0-3 defeat to Real Union was less acceptable as we had a couple of players back and they weren't very good last season. We were out of the top 10 and out of form.

Then Vecindario visited and I have absolutely no idea what happened. We followed that up with 5 more unanswered goals at home to Bilbao Athletic. Pena Sport posed more problems but we came back from a goal down and scored an injury time winner. 2 mildly unsatisfactory draws slowed us down before a solid victory at Burgos was followed by Muinos scoring 4 goals in the first half against Zaragoza B. Our run looked like it was to grind to a halt against Eibar but we showed a bit of grit and came from 2-0 down to force a draw.

Then a good Universidad LP team visited and were thrashed 4-0. Another solid away win was followed by the worst fixture of the season; away to a Rayo side who had dropped 4 points in their first 15 games and who had spent £1.2m on a ST during the Summer. When they went 1 up within 5 minutes I had nightmarish visions but we shockingly began to outplay them, got a deserved equaliser and took the lead in first half injury time. A 3rd goal in the 2nd half and we had pulled off our best result ever. We then closed out the first half of the season with another home thrashing.

So, we are a very tight 2nd and but for the Ponferradina massacre and its consequences, we'd be clear in 2nd.

So it appears that we might be quite good. Muinos is on fire, 17 goals so far including 1 hat-trick and twice 4 goals but is getting very itchy feet, he has put himself on and then off the transfer list once and will probably do the same before too long. I hope that nobody offers enough during January to tempt my chairman into accepting but, in any case, I fear that unless we get promoted, he will be off in the Summer (for a lot of money). He is now rated as a leading star for the Segunda Division so is clearly far too good for this division.

My 2 wingers have been just as important and just as good whilst Gutierrez at AMC started off in ridiculous form before injuring himself for 6 weeks. Thankfully my new backup proved himself to be pretty useful in his own right.

We could with conceding a few less goals but as long as we continue to score loads I shall mind less about that.

Obviously I wish to stay in the top 4 but I have a suspicion this division is not that strong compared to the others so the playoffs (if we get there) could be a totally different matter....

Here's hoping that we avoid a hat-trick of post-Christmas collapses....

Real S.D. Alcalá - Spanish LIGA BBVA 2019/20

Transfers - A quite season with one great success and one apparent disaster.

José Manuel Callejón (DL) - Brought in to strengthen the left back slot and soon became first choice. Chipped in with 6 assists as well.

Francisco Javier Mateos (MC) - Brilliant first season getting his fair share of goals and assists, coming 3rd in the Spanish Young Player of the Year for his efforts.

Juan Antonio Grau (ST) - A club record £10,000,000 for a 17yr old but his attributes seemed to suggest it was worth it, however the initial performances suggested £10 was too much. So bad I dropped him to the U-19's at the start of December as he was yet to score for the first team. Was promoted back to the first team due to injuries and did ok. Named as Runner-Up in the Worst Signing of the Season section of the end of season award roundup.

Europe

European Super Cup - Runner-Up - I hate Real Madrid.

Champions League - Semi-Final

Slightly better this year as we were straight into the Group Stage as 3rd seeds, drawn with Inter Milan, Celtic and Dinamo Bucharest. A much better performance this year as ourselves and Inter were a cut above, both qualifying after 5 games. With Inter getting the better of our meetings they finished top of the group.

Our First Knockout Round opponent was Porto. There was never much between us as we played out a 0-0 in Spain before we sealed a 1-0 in Portugal to progress.

We faced a longer trip in the Quarter Final as we were paired with Dinamo Kiev. 1-0 in the first leg in the Ukraine should have made it straightforward but we lived dangerously drawing 1-1 at home to progress 2-1 on aggregate.

The Semi-Final saw us meet European super power Bayern Munich, champions in 2011, 2013, 2016 & 2018. The first leg was in Germany and they hammered us but we escaped with a 2-1 loss and a possibly vital away goal. But Bayern were way too strong, hammering us in the second leg as well, winning 2-1 and 4-2 on aggregate before going on to beat AC Milan in the final.

Spanish LIGA BBVA

Predicted: 5th | Final Position: Winners | Graph

With lots of teams starting very strongly it took us until January to make it to 2nd even though we had a 14-3-2 record. 5 points clear of us in 1st? well who else but Real Madrid who had only a single defeat in the first 19 games, a lucky 1-0 win victory for us early in the season.

Another lucky 1-0 win at the Bernabéu put us back within touching distance, but through February, March and April we fell back due to games being cancelled for U-19 & U-21 international callups. 10 games to go (for us) and we were in 3rd while the rest of the contenders had all played 3 games more.

As we played our games in hand we began to reel in those above us, hitting the top with 5 games left to play while most of our rivals had only 3 or 4 to go. And there we stayed, sealing the title with a miserable 0-0 draw at home to Zaragoza in game 37.

Spanish Cup - Qtr-Final

Other News

Finances were steady throughout the season with CL money making up most of the profit. We climbed to 9th on the Rich List.

Uncertainty arrived in the shape of a board takeover which started around the end of May, with regular news reports of funding difficulties for the potential owners. The takevoer collapsed in June but the current Chairman is still willing to listen to offers.

Club Records

Awards

Spanish Young Player of the Year - Clean Sweep: 1st Axier Olaizola | 2nd Jose Manuel Díez | 3rd Francisco Javier Mateos

LIGA BBVA Goalkeeper of the Year - David Trigueros

Stars

David Trigueros (GK) - A great season as he kept us i a lot of games. 26 clean sheets bumped up his pay packet with each one costing us £5,500 but worth every penny. Capped for the first time too.

Axier Olaizola (DC) - Cemented his place in the centre of defence and becoming a Spain regular. Popped up with 7 goals as well. Star!!

Alessio De Luca (MC) - Played a lot of games, excelling all season scoring 7 and creating 5.

Luis Fernando Pato (AMR) Excellent season hitting the target 7 times.

Rubén Porras (AMRL) - A fantastic season single handedly winning a lot of games for us as he notched up 10 goals and 11 assists.

Youth Watch

Summer 2010 - Juan Antonio Álvarez (ST) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Good season playing a quite a few games due to appalling form of the other strikers. Embarrassingly his 13 goals meant he was our top scorer.

Summer 2012 - Leandro Gutiérrez (MC) - Sold

Summer 2015 - Luis Manuel (ST) - Sold

Summer 2018 - Alfredo (AMC) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Spent a lot of the season as a backup in the first team. Did well when called upon.

Summer 2019 - Braulio Ortega (AMC) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Excellent season for the U-19's scoring 10 and creating 16 goals. Retraining as an MC is going well as he went from Awkward to Accomplished over the season. Capped at U-21 level already.

Summer 2019 - Javier Aranguren (ST) | Initial Profile | Current Profile - Good season for the U-19's as they won their league. Will try and loan him out this season. Joined Ortega in the Spanish U-21 side.

Best Eleven: Season | Overall

European Co-efficients

Real S.D. Alcalá - 100.059 (17th up from 32nd)

Real S.D. Alcalá Trophy Room

LIGA BBVA - 2019/20

UEFA Cup - 2018/19

Second Division B1 x 2 - 2011/12, 2012/13

Career History

Season   League              Pos.   Cup         Europe         Achievements
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2009/10  Second Division B1  7th    N/A         N/A            None
2010/11  Second Division B1  2nd    1st Rnd     N/A            None
2011/12  Second Division B1  1st    4th Rnd     N/A            Second Division B1 Champions
2012/13  Second Division B1  1st    2nd Rnd     N/A            Second Division B1 Champions, Promoted
2013/14  LIGA adelante       7th    2nd Rnd     N/A            None
2014/15  LIGA adelante       2nd    Qtr-Final   N/A            Promotion
2015/16  LIGA BBVA           10th   5th Rnd     N/A            None
2016/17  LIGA BBVA           4th    Semi-Final  N/A            None
2017/18  LIGA BBVA           4th    Qtr-Final   CL Qtr-Final   None
2018/19  LIGA BBVA           2nd    Semi-Final  CL Group 3rd   UEFA Cup Winners
                                               UEFA Cup Winner
2019/20  LIGA BBVA           1st    Qtr-Final   CL Semi-Final  Champions

Next Season...

Defend our title and reach the Semi's or better of the Champions League.

**End of Season Update - Domegliara - Serie A - 2022/23**

Transfers

Though I've just stolen this from an earlier post for completion's sake I feel I should introduce you to the new faces that have appeared at Domegliara Stadium this season.

First through the door and the only signing of the summer window was Filippo Mazzola - another left-winger (I seem to have become obsessed!) he arrived in July for £11.75M and left in January for £23.5M - a healthy profit for 6 months service.

Next in were a group of youngsters whose deals were confirmed whilst the window was closed.

Michael de Leeuw (Dutch, CM) arrived from Roda JC for just under £2M, he is one for the future. He could be the spiritual successor to Casisa.

Next through the door was the Lithuanian midfielder Tadas Klimavicius (who must win the prize for best name) for another £1.7M. He is good enough for back-up and young enough to have a chance to make it into the first-team squad.

Then came the Danish winger Soren Jensen, at 15 it is a big move away from his homeland and I'm hoping that Bent Hansen who made the same move at about the same age will help him settle in. He has excellent physical stats for a young man.

The final youth player to be plucked to join the Domegliara set up is Frenchman Vivian Mougin, a young goalkeeper. He needs to work on his positioning, but otherwise looks like an excellent prospect.

Another youngster was bought in a co-ownership deal but left to play at his current club for the time-being. Daniele Marrone is another left-winger, and looks to have a bright future.

After Mazzola left a first team left-winger was also needed, so the Domegliara manager went to Torino, where, due to his friendship with their manager, it is reckoned he picked up a bit of a bargain - Stefano Rinaldi (yes another Rinaldi) joins for £7.5M and has, in his first 4 games (2 as a substitute), scored 3 goals and got another 2 assists.

Not yet satisfied with his dealings the manager of Il Nuovi Rossoneri returned to Torino and took their other winger Daniel Rus - he is a Romanian right-winger, and with Novello now into his 30s, has been brought in as competition for him and as an eventual replacement.

There were also a few departures helping to fund the manager's moves in the transfer market. Generally of players who have not quite fulfilled their potential.

League

The new season came round and following last year's domestic disappointment I felt I needed an improvement. Serie A seems pretty difficult to crack. Anyway transfers came in, and the season began. A mixed bag of early season results saw the Domes sitting in 9th after 8 games. Fortunately this was the lowest point of the season. So followed an improvement in both performances and results meaning that by the 17 game mark the team hot 2nd place in the league. The mid-point of the season saw a difficult run of games, this coupled with some games missed due to Europe saw us drop to 6th by the 20th game. Fortunately after these games passed we reverted to our decent form and for the next 11 game we fluctuated between 4th and 6th sitting in the latter after the 32nd game of the season. We went on a final push that saw us leap to 4th after 33 games and stay there for the rest of the season thereby securing our place in the Champions League for next season.

Cup

The cup was a reasonable success this season, we beat Roma for the first time in the Quarter-finals in a memorable 6-4 victory. We then faced Inter in the semis. We managed to get a 1-1 in the first leg away and with 92 minutes gone at 0-0 we seemed to be heading for the final on away goals. However in the 93rd minute Inter scored a break-away goal to break il nuovi rossoneri hearts. Still not a bad year in the Coppa Italia.

Europe

After last season's victory in the UEFA Cup it was a disappointment to lose in the 1st Knockout round. Next year we're off to the big league let's see what we can do.

Players

Artur Pestana - for the first time in his Domegliara career he missed some games through injury which meant Carriero made his debut. Apart from that he was again a rock. Getting a clean-sheet in almost half the games he played.

Stephen Carriero - made his debut, reasonably impressive. In 5 games he got 2 clean sheets and conceded 4 goals.

Srdjan Stanisic - his progress continues to disappoint but he is already a decent Serie A player.

Igor Sviridov - he's getting upset about only being back-up so I may look to let him go over the summer.

Frank Heß - Frank has had another good season, scoring some vital goals. It's amazing that he's still only 26.

Ben Dladla - the South African is starting to get itchy feet.

Sergio Barbera - The top quality defender is attracting interest from top clubs around Europe and his head has been turned. He wants to leave. It'll take a lot of cash to get him though. He still has 3 years left on his contract.

Antonio Velardi - has made his central midfield berth his own. He doesn't quite have the skill Casisa did in his prime, but his a more than capable screen for the defence.

Anton Iljin - the right-back is now 30 and has had no competition for his place for much of it. Maybe it's time I look at getting in a long-term replacement.

Leonardo Barbieri - more than capable deputy for Dalla Bona, and a cover for right back.

Matija Vida - he's a decent enough back-up and seems happy doing it, but is never going to be good enough to be a first-teamer.

Gianfranco Dalla Bona - He's only 22 and is a definite star of the side. I hope he'll make the Italian side soon.

Gerson Ramirez - the young Chilean has something of a break-out season. He scored 8 goals and generally played well. He's timed it well, with Di Mauro approaching 30 we may have his replacement waiting.

Cesare Peluso - the youngster should probably be moved on. He is a good player, but is he good enough?

Tadas Klimavicius - the Lithuanian brought in in January didn't make it on to the pitch this season. He is a very good back-up.

Marco Novello - He continues to impress. Having his best season since we were in Serie B.

Daniel Rus - Used sparingly, enough to keep him happy. When Novello gets over the hill, Rus will step in and hopefully nothing will be lost talent-wise.

Friedrich Kasongo - the German is now 21. Will he make the step-up. Probably not.

Giuseppe Magnani - the former regular, has dropped down to back-up with the arrival of at least five left-wingers in the last two seasons.

Stefano Rinaldi - brought in during January, he had an excellent first time on the left of the team.

Emilio Rinaldi - without first-team football he has really dipped in ablity and is the subject of numerous bids. We will make a significant loss on our initial outlay, but he is on significant wages so the saving will be appreciated.

Jurgen Schumacher - the youngster had a less impressive season than first-up but continues to progress.

Claudio Di Mauro - a good solid season for the creative midfielder.

Diego Pastore - Pastore managed to play more games this season and wasn't as plagued by injuries. He was however still hit and miss in the league. Only managing 10 goals this season in the league. 9 of them were in the final 16 of the season though, so he hit some form. He was again a big hit in the cup and Europe getting 10 goals in 11 games in these competitions.

Filippo Guarino - again he didn't do as well as last season, but I am very excited about him.

Bent Hansen - Again didn't score as many as he probably should, but he is a good player.

Luigi Mariani - He managed to get up to 20 goals in all competitions over the season.

Awards

Top Goalscorer - a tie between Pastore and Mariani - 20

Highest Average Rating - Marco Novello - 7.26 (42(2) appearances)

Can we play you every week - Lazio - 2-0 (A), 1-0 (H)

Fans' Player of the Season - Marco Novello

Youth Player Watch

Home-grown

Pier Luigi Farinelli - he has stayed at Bordeaux this season, and has now had two there as a first team regular. He's 29 now and I'm wondering whether he's found his level, and will therefore not add to his impressive haul of 10 teams.

Aldo Mazzini - Mazzini is also in France now, he's at Stade Rennais, he's in his second season too, and is performing very well. I've even considered trying to bring him back. He is 27 now though so probably at his peak.

Diego Pastore - last season he was plagued by injuries, but he has managed to put that behind him. The 26 year old has now played 332 league games for Domegliara.

Gianfranco Dalla Bona - Gianfranco had another good season. The 22 year old is approaching 200 league games for the club (197 to be precise)

Stephen Carriero - made his debut for the club this season as Pestana missed 5 games. Carriero deputised in all of them and managed 2 clean sheets.

Giuseppe Esposito - spent another season on loan at Grosseto scoring 15 goals as they again made the play-offs but did not progress. I don't think he is progressing at a good enough rate to make it into the first team.

Vincenzo Fiore - I sent Vincenzo out on loan to Grosseto this season and he got a good amount of playing time in Serie C2/C.

Aldo Arena - this season's prospect is a young goalkeeper, he was a regular for the U-20s and looks to have a decent future in the game.

Non-home-grown

This is a new section I've decided to add to chart the progress of those players in my U-20s who did not come through the academy, but were instead brought in due to the potential I see in them. They will graduate from this section to the main list when they progress into the first team, and if they don't I'll tell you when I sell them, and maybe if they achieve something spectacular I'll let you know that too.

Vivian Mougin - a recent signing sat on the bench whilst Pestana was out.

Soren Jensen - brought in young, he played very well for the U-20s. He is only 15 and looks to have a great future if he progresses as he can do.

Michael de Leeuw - he made his debut in the final game of the season, but was basically playing in the youth team and making a darn good job of it. Scoring 16 goals in 19 starts from midfield.

Martin Wagner - this young German has been spotted by the giants of Italy making me feel as if he has a big future. Milan/Roma and Inter have all made co-ownership offers of over £5M for the 16 year old. He has scored goals a-plenty at youth levels for both club and country. He rejected the offers from the big teams stating he still felt he had a lot to learn from me - aww - sweet!

Other News

-the board won't expand the stadium any more because they feel we won't get planning permission. May be I'll be in the bizarre state of having another new stadium at some stage. I suppose it depends how long it takes me to complete this!

-the U-20s beat AC Milan into 2nd place in their league by 11 points to claim their 2nd consecutive league title.

Aims For This Season Were

Another new section. I've been making claims over what I want to achieve for ages now. I felt i should probably see if I manage any of them.

Champions League Place - A good start! I picked up the final place.

Retain UEFA Cup - unfortunately I didn't, but if I had concentrated on it more I may have missed out on 4th.

Italian Cup run - I think getting to the semis classifies as a good run, so that's another one achieved.

Overall then 2/3 which isn't bad.

Aims For Next Season

1/ Finish in at least 4th place again.

2/ Impress in the Champions' League. Last time I got to the Quarter-finals. I'd like to at least match that.

3/ A win in the domestic cup would be nice. But it is definitely my lowest priority.

Records

Biggest Win - 7-0 v H. Tel Aviv (15/12/2022)

Highest Scoring Game - 6-4 v Roma (18/1/2023)

Average Attendence - 34967 (2022/23)

Most League Apps - Marco Novello - 356

Most League Goals - Diego Pastore - 148

Best Elevens

09/10

10/11

11/12

12/13

13/14

14/15

15/16

16/17

17/18

18/19

19/20

20/21

21/22

22/23

Overall

Story So Far

Season			League			Position			Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10			Serie C2/C		1st				Champions!
2010/11			Serie C1/B		1st				Champions!
2011/12			Serie B			8th				
2012/13			Serie B			11th
2013/14			Serie B			11th
2014/15			Serie B			2nd				Promoted!
2015/16			Serie A			19th				Relegated
2016/17			Serie B			1st				Champions!
2017/18			Serie A			11th				
2018/19			Serie A			10th
2019/20			Serie A			2nd				CL place!
2020/21			Serie A			6th				UEFA place
2021/22			Serie A			8th				Won UEFA Cup
2022/23			Serie A			4th				CL place

Trophy Cabinet

Serie C2/C - 2009/10

Serie C2 Super Cup - 2010

Serie C1/B - 2010/11

Serie C1 Super Cup - 2011

Serie B - 2016/17

UEFA Cup - 2021/22

Previous Updates

2009/10

2010/11

2011/12

2012/13

2013/14

2014/15

2015/16

2016/17

2017/18

2018/19

2019/20

2021/22

2022/23

Wow! I've just realised how big an update that actually is - sorry! :)

[edit] - blimey. If this wasn't the challenge, my commitment to Domelgiara would have been severely tested. Roma have offered me the job. £1.9M wage budget, and £141M transfer budget. How chuffed must my chairman be, for me to reject it!

Good season PRDH and don't worry about the length of the post, makes for good reading :thup:

Thanks, and congratulations on your title. Just the Champions League and you can join the lengthening list of completers!

AD Universidad de Oviedo - Segunda Division 2B - 2014/15

2nd place at Christmas

First things first. We managed to keep hold of all our players as no offers came in. We even managed to improve our strikeforce as a 21yo freebie came in to take the backup role.

First match after the 2 week break was a tricky one at 6th place Palencia but we got 3 points via a total smash and grab job; they dominated, we scored on the break twice. 2 more victories over relegation strugglers and with Rayo, having not recovered from the pre-Xmas shock of losing to us, were only 3 points ahead of us. Next up it was time for some Ponferradina revenge :mad:. Unfortunately after the 5 injuries they inflicted in the first match it seemed my first choice defence were running scared; 2 managed to injury themselves in midweek, one got himself sent off the week before and the 4th was sent off after an hour. And revenge was most definitely not forthcoming: 14 seconds - 0-1, 5 minutes - 0-2, 13 minutes - 0-3. Good God. It finished 1-4 and our first home defeat of the season. Thankfully a slump was avoided as we collected 2 solid 2-0 wins on the road to more relegation threatened teams.

Unfortunately the slump was only temporarily postponed as we stuggled to a draw at home to Las Palmas B while Real Union were then the 2nd team to do the double over us. And when we were 0-2 down at Vecindario I was worried. Thankfully a 2nd half Gutierrez double brought us a point. We were 4th but looking over our shoulder at Real Union. Muinos was out of form so, as we had a theoretically easy opponent in Pena Sport next, he dropped to the bench to give a first start to Lozano (the new boy). And he should his worth with 2 goals in the first 5 minutes. We then dragged ourselves out of another away hole as somehow a point was retrieved from being 0-3 down with 12 minutes left; I like 92nd minute equalisers.

2 surprisingly easy home matches followed (I expected to win but not 4-0 and 6-0) with Lozano proving to be a very useful sub, in the 2nd match he grabbed a 7 minute hattrick. By this stage 4th was looking very likely as Real Union were dropping points all over the shop whilst Ponferradina and Universidad LP was refusing to drop any. The latter were the next to get a visit from us and we came from behind again and got a very respectable 1-1 draw. A defeat at Zaragoza B was less good but this was redeemed with a very solid win over Eibar. Next up was the visit of Rayo and we completed a very satisfying if unexpected double over them (half their defeats this season). This also confirmed our 4th place. I used the last 2 matches just to keep form and try to get Muinos to get the 2 goals he needed to beat the division scoring record. The first was mildly successful, the 2nd unfortunately not. So 4th place and the playoffs again. 4th seems about right looking at this as both 2nd and 3rd were pretty much unstoppable since the New Year.

We had Ferrol in the 1st round who we had apparently lost to in a Federation Cup tie 4 years ago. They had finished 2nd in 2B1. They took the lead at our place but we deservedly got the equaliser. It finished 1-1 and although not a bad result, I was thinking we should have won it. And when we were 0-2 after half an hour in the 2nd leg I was definitely thinking we should have won the first leg. We attacked non-stop in the 2nd half but a 90th minute own-goal was all we got. So, another year in this blasted division awaits :thdn:.

A very very small consolation was that Ferrol did go on to get promoted but I was not that impressed by them so I would bet my house on them coming straight back down.

We should really have gone up given our team but getting out of this division really is not easy, especially if you don't finish 1st (and that does not guarantee anything either). We were the top scorers and our defence was pretty solid (especially given the loss of Herrera). At home we scored goals like they were going out of fashion whereas away from home we were solid and ground out a few unexpected victories.

We were basically this good because of 4 players; MR, ML, AMC and ST: 13 assists each for the first 3 and 52 goals between them for the latter 2. Holding onto them is the main aim this Summer.

Squad

Summary

Finances - up and up they go, Herrera's sale helped immensely.

Transfers - Herrera's departure meant Felipe became first choice and he did quite well, Sebastian was ridiculously good, Rodriguez was not really as good as I hoped but had injury problems, the 3 midfielders were rotated first choices, Herrero backed up Gutierrez very well, Lopez was a 6 month defensive back up and was not too bad when called upon whilst Lozano was great from the bench when I needed to go 2 up front.

The great players this season were:

Best GK - Francisco Javier Verdejo - same as last season, perfectly good enough for this division, made some great saves, nearly 1 clean sheet in 2, am a bit more interested in a replacement than I was before but won't be actively searching for one

Best Defender - Daniel - had played OK last season but stepped up nicely to lead the defence after Herrera's departure, very solid player, now rated as a decent player for the division above so there will be interest, hope he stays and I would like more of the same

Best Central Midfielder - Alberto Sepúlveda - most consistant of the 3 central midfield newcomers, played nearly every game, chipped in with a few goals and good number of assists, can only ask for a repeat performance

Best Wingers - Federico and Sebastián - wow, simply brilliant, both of them were stunning, best pair of wingers in the division, 13 assists each, lots of goals and a large number of goals where one crossed for the other running in at the far post, Sebastián was possibly the more important as we were really lacking a quality MR and he is better than I could ever have expected, Federico is clearly a favourite of mine as he is a youth product, both are attracting interest but neither are showing signs of wanting to leave which is promising

Best Attacking Midfielder - Aitor Gutiérrez - wow and wow again, up there with Muiños as the player of the year, more than a goal or assist a game, he was out for 6 weeks as well and I think we might have been closer to the other 3 if he had not been, links fantastically with Muiños and many of the goals he scored were vital ones, not just the 4th goal in a rout but last minute equalisers etc., I am expecting bids galore for him in the Summer, hopefully all refusable

Best Striker - Javier Muiños - wow, wow and wow again, I knew he had potential, I knew he could play better than the previous 2 seasons but I certainly did not think he could play this well, nearly a goal a game, top scorer in all the 4 divisions and on top of that he chipped in with 10 assists as well, revelled in the lone striker role, is erring between wanting to leave and not, if we had gone up keeping him would have been much easier, now we are still here, I am not sure whether I will be able to hang onto him, if he goes it will be for a lot of money (unless the chairman intervenes :rolleyes:)

After 6 years in this division we really should be going up soon and promotion has to be the aim next season, the title would be nice and with a couple of improvements that could be possible. Rayo went up whilst unfortunately Castilla came down so maybe 2nd is the best I can hope for.

The Summer will already be a success if I can keep hold of the 4 star players. On the recruitment side, I really need a new DC, a new DL would be very nice (Ezequiel although reliable is not really up to this level) whilst I certainly would not turn down a new GK. And that is it really unless players leave or ridiculously good players become available.

The above should be made a bit easier now as we have unexpectedly turned professional. I thought that it might happen next Summer if a star or 2 left this year but definitely not this soon. We can now scout central Europe and hopefully my Spanish scouts can cast their vision a bit further afield nationally as well.

Best 11

Overall Best 11 - a few changes as Alex, Federico and Muiños come in

09/10 - Segunda Division B2 - 12th

10/11 - Segunda Division B2 - 7th

11/12 - Segunda Division B2 - 4th (lost in Second Phase Playoff First Round)

12/13 - Segunda Division B2 - 10th

13/14 - Segunda Division B2 - 10th

14/15 - Segunda Division B2 - 4th (lost in Second Phase Playoff First Round)

Real Oviedo Watch - 6th in 2B1

Oviedo Derby Watch - P3 W0 D1 L2 F1 A4

Team I Would Like To Play Every Week - Palencia - H6-0, A2-0 (6th, 9 points behind us!) (special mention to Rayo who we lost to 4 times last season but did the double over this time scoring half of the goals they conceded at home this season in one match!)

Team I Would Not Like To Play Every Week - Ponferradina :mad: - A1-6 (5 injuries during match), H1-4 (2 injuries and a suspension before, 1 red card during match) (3rd but failed in playoffs)

that is exactly what I am thinking (desperately hoping) as well. we are now pro and quite a few of the players are supposedly good players for the Adelante which should put us in good stead. this is of course all dependant on a) us actually going up one of these days and b) these players not leaving...

daemonic - congrats on winning the title!! makes me want to win it even more now... ;)

PRDH - congrats on getting back into the CL. and don't worry about the length of the post.....

ghostwriter - seriously feel for you mate.... bad luck that. really want you to get promotion now. seems like all you need is a bit of luck.....

**Pre-season transfer update**

September has arrived and the transfer window has slammed shut.

First through the door was Mehmet Çelik. He was playing in the European U-21s when a scout of mine spotted him. A week later and his deal had been arranged. An attacking midfielder who looks to be a good little player.

Next to arrive was the second 50% of Daniele Marrone. The left-winger goes into the U-20s.

The third player was a young welsh right-winger. Richard Collins is raw, but has good stats in the crucial areas and is only 17.

Next up Guido arrives. A Brazilian full-back he is quick and has a great cross on him. He takes over from Iljin in the first team for the beginning of the season.

Finally there was a transfer to fill the place of the major departure. Luigi Mariani left to join Roma in a £24.5M deal. This meant we were a striker down so we went shopping and came back with Tom Pollemans a Dutch striker who has good physical stats and finishing ability though not a lot else. He looks like he should be able to score goals.

Unfortunately just after the window closed in the first game of the season, Bent Hansen broke his leg. He's out for 5-6 months. Hopefully the other three strikers will hold themselves together until January. I have plenty to spend if I can find someone.

Finally in a deal for the future Ezequiel Lucero has signed a contract to join next season. He would have come this season but my non-EU quota had been filled. His scoring stats for the Argentinean youth team are very encouraging.

Thanks, and congratulations on your title. Just the Champions League and you can join the lengthening list of completers!
daemonic - congrats on winning the title!! makes me want to win it even more now... ;)

Congrats Daemonic :thup: I'm sure you are on your way to finish the challenge next season :)

Thanks...Not sure I'll complete for a few seasons yet. The team are talented enough with a good few being wonderkids and 9 making the Spain Olympics squad, just a bit young. If I can keep the core of the team together for 2 or 3 years we'll be very strong.

Ha! Guess who didn't score when we faced Roma in the third game of the new season. That's right - Luigi Mariani! Very satisfying. Would have been even more so if any of my players had done, but a 0-0 result in Rome is pretty good by my usual standards!

Club: Sporting Lucchese

Season: 2009/10

League: Italian Serie C2/B

Transfer Budget: £58

Wage Budget: £9.4k

Opening Balance: £384k

Closing Balance: £599k

Board Expectations: Respectable Position

Media Expectation: 8th

Your Expectations: Top Half

League Record: Pos 3rd, W 19, D 8, L 7, F 57, A 30, Pts 65

Serie C Cup: 2nd in 3rd Round Group A

First XI: (4-4-2) Brunner; Addona, Lagnese, Diagouraga, Zanon; Riccardo, Barbagello, Giunchi, Morello; Brighenti, Selva.

Top Scorer: Andy Selva 17

Top Assister: Antonio Morello 13

Average Attendance: 5631

Fans Player Of The Year: Luca Giunchi

My Player Of The Year: Luca Giunchi

Notable Results: 4-0 vs Fano, 4-0 vs Chieti, 4-2 vs Valle del Giovenco, 4-2 vs Gubbio, 4-1 vs Bassano.

Transfers In: 19 players for a combined total of £58k. Luca Giunchi arrived from Celano, who we paid £28k. £28k was also paid to Grosseto, who co-owned him. I was immediately impressed with Giunchi, who quickly became club captain, and had a fantastic season. Enrico Curcio and Giovanni Riccardo both arrived for £1k, and everyone else were bought on free transfers.

Best Buy: Luca Giunchi

Worst Buy: Stefano Cerrone, the backup goalkeeper didn't play once.

Transfers Out: Due to having no squad members when I took over, there were none!

Best Sale: Somehow I'm finding this a difficult decision to make...

Table

Reflection: As Lucchese were in Serie C1 recently, pushing for promotion to Serie B before having to fold due to financial issues and rejoining Serie D, the side always had the quality to mount a promotion challenge. We were in and around the playoff spots all season, and it was a deserved third place which we eventually achieved. We qualified for the playoff semi finals, where we played Sangiovannese. We drew 0-0 both legs, and qualified by virtue of being the higher placed side in the league. In the final, we met Carrarese, who had shocked Cisco in the other semi. Again, we drew 0-0 away from home, and, as if we had suddenly forgotten how to score, drew 0-0 in the second leg too. Just about to start celebrating, thinking we'd won due to being higher seeds again, I discovered that the final has extra time and penalties. Fast forward to 120 minutes, the final attack of the game. Just about to start preparing my team for the psychological strains caused by a penalty shootout, and Barbagallo flicked a corner on towards the goal. It was going wide, until Roberto Rondon got a touch onto it, and - GOOAAL!!! The final touch of the game, from supersub Rondon, sent us upwards to Serie C1 at our first time of asking! I was delighted.

Aims For Next Season: Improve the squad, and its strength in depth. Avoid relegation.

Season: 2010/11

League: Italian Serie C1/A

Transfer Budget: £67.5k

Wage Budget: £18.9k

Opening Balance: £599k

Closing Balance: £1.29M

Board Expectations: Mid-table

Media Expectation: 12th

Your Expectations: Mid-table

League Record: Pos 5th, W 17, D 9, L 8, F 55, A 38, Pts 60

Serie C Cup: 1st Round

Italian Cup: 3rd Qual. Round

First XI: (4-4-2) Prisco; Addona, Lagnese, Lebran, Zanon; Rizzato, Barbagello, Giunchi, Anaclerio; Rondon, Ogude.

Top Scorer: Ogude/Luigi Anaclerio 13

Top Assister: Luigi Anaclerio 11

Average Attendance: 6994

Fans Player Of The Year: Luigi Anaclerio

My Player Of The Year: Ogude

Notable Results: 9-0 vs Fucecchio, 5-1 vs Venezia, 3-5 vs Ravenna, 3-3 vs Pro Patria, 4-3 vs Ravenna.

Transfers In: 8 players for a combined total of £28k. Migjen Basha came in for £14k from Rimini, and slotted in quite neatly to the midfield, alongside Luca Giunchi. Two youngsters - centre back Ricardo Caravita and Dutch hitman Jeroen Vonk - joined for a combined total of £14k, as well as a few free signings, including my player of the season Ogude, a Nigerian striker formerly of Udinese, and the sensational winger Luigi Anaclerio.

Best Buy: Luigi Anaclerio. He had a fantastic season, both scoring and providing lots of goals, and if it wasn't for the important goals scored by Ogude, he would have been my player of the season.

Worst Buy: Ricardo Caravita. The youngster cost a fairly hefty £12k, and hardly played. He certainly has potential, but has yet to show it, and hasn't come close to paying back the transfer fee dished out on him.

Transfers Out: 3 players released,

Best Sale: -

Table

Round-Up: Again, we found ourselves in the right half of the table straight from the start, and were jumping in and out of the lower playoff positions throughout the campaign. After a solid finish, we cemented fifth place, and a semi final tie against Monza. We won the first leg 1-0 at home, and it really should have been more with the strikers missing chance after glorious chance. We then returned to Monza for the second leg, which we reached half time 2-0 up in. Despite a late charge from the side in red, we eventually made it through the semi final tie 3-2 on aggregate. We were to face Serie C giants Verona in the final. We lost 1-0 at home, and despite a gutsy away leg performance where we had two goals disallowed, there was no more scoring in the tie, and we went back to Lucco disappointed, but full of confidence for the next season.

Aims For Next Season: Try to keep Luca Giunchi, or make a healthy profit out of him. Push for promotion this time around!

Good luck Dave. I'm sure you'll reach Serie B next season. I found Serie B a tough nut to crack. Not as hard as hitting the top of Serie A has been, but a nice challenge. Good luck!

[edit] - John Terry has just been made England manager.

Season: 2011/12

League: Italian Serie C1/A

Transfer Budget: £128.6k

Wage Budget: £21.5k

Opening Balance: £1.29M

Closing Balance: £1.71M

Board Expectations: Top-half

Media Expectation: 7th

Your Expectations: Playoffs

League Record: Pos 3rd, W 21, D 6, L 7, F 61, A 27, Pts 69

Serie C Cup: Winners

Italian Cup: 2nd Qual. Round

First XI: (4-4-2) Baiocco; Addona, Lagnese, Lebran, Zanon; Rizzato, Basha, Giunchi, Anaclerio; Vonk, Ogude.

Top Scorer: Ogude 13

Top Assister: Luigi Anaclerio 14

Average Attendance: 7168

Fans Player Of The Year: Luigi Anaclerio

My Player Of The Year: Luigi Anaclerio

Notable Results: 6-0 vs Castelnuovo, 4-0 vs Cremonese, 4-1 vs Lecco, 5-0 vs Carrarese, 3-2 vs Venezia.

Transfers In: 6 players in for a combined £147k. Gioele Ghilardi was brought in to help strengthen the full back positions, and can play on either side. He was subject to interest from larger sides all season. Andorran veteran Ildefons Lima was brought in to shore up the defense, and Simone Malatesta to give more options up front. Two goalkeepers were signed to fill the void left by the departure of Lorenzo Prisco, and although neither have his talent, Paolo Baiocco and Angelo Vallorani are suitable as first team 'keeper and goalkeeping prospect respectively. The final arrival of the summer was Brazilian Roberto, who had a successful trial at the club. He cost a hefty £50k, and has not enjoyed his time in Lucco so far.

Best Buy: Gioele Ghilardi. He slotted into the side nicely, and has improved along with the club's fortunes. Another few seasons in the first team, and I believe the young Italian will prove a very decent full back.

Worst Buy: Roberto. The Brazilian cost a fair deal of money, and hasn't come close to proving his worth yet. Due to the fantastic Basha-Giunchi partnership in the centre of midfield, he has been limited to just a handful of appearances this season.

Transfers Out: 3 players released, Lorenzo Pricso leaves for Frosinone, for £85k.

Best Sale: Prisco, since he brought in good money to the club, helping make up for the poor signing in Roberto. A good goalkeeper though, and he has yet to be properly replaced.

Table

Round-Up: AlbinoLeffe were a class apart, and led the way all season. The following pack seemed to have the top three playoff spots sewn up early on, and Cittadella in fourth soon joined them. Lucchese were one of these leading sides, and beat AlbinoLeffe home and away - the only side to do so in the side's dominant campaign. So it was fully deserved that they reached the playoffs. They were to play Venezia, who were at one point AlbinoLeffe's closest rivals, although they had fallen away towards the end of the season. A good 1-0 at home saw them return to Lucco with an advantage, although the Rossoneri stubbornly refused to be beaten, coming from behind twice to secure a superb 3-2 victory which will live long in the memories of every Lucchese fan. So to the final, and Padova, who finished second in the league, were to be the opposition. Three finals in three years, and Lucchese had a record of one win and one loss, although had fallen to Verona at this stage the last time of asking. A shaky 1-0 in Lucco meant they had to go to Padova and survive a barrage. To make a long story short, they did, with the back four bravely standing up to anything the men in white could throw at them, and Baiocco in goal performed superbly. A 0-0 draw was enough to see Lucchese return to Serie B, for the first time since 1999.

That wasn't the only story of the season though. A super run to the final of the Serie C cup saw Lucchese drawn against league winners AlbinoLeffe - the clear favourites. A 0-0 draw in Lucco was followed by a 1-1 draw in Bergamo, securing the first trophy of the Sporting Lucchese revolution!

SEASON     DIVISION      POSITION      NOTES
2009/10    Serie C2      3rd           Promotion via playoffs
2010/11    Serie C1      5th           Lost in playoff final
2011/12    Serie C1      3rd           Promotion via playoffs, Serie C Cup

Aims For Next Season: Avoid relegation!

Season: 2012/13

League: Italian Serie B

Transfer Budget: £2.72M

Wage Budget: £41.9k

Opening Balance: £1.71M

Closing Balance: £4.08M

Board Expectations: Avoid Relegation

Media Expectation: 21st

Your Expectations: Avoid Relegation

League Record: Pos 14th, W 12, D 14, L 16, F 59, A 58, Pts 50

Italian Cup: 3rd Qual. Round

First XI: (4-4-2) Wilson; Addona, Lagnese, Lebran, Ghilardi; Cutolo, Basha, Giunchi, Anaclerio; Bradaschia, Ogude.

Top Scorer: Luca Giunchi 15

Top Assister: Aniello Cutolo 16

Average Attendance: 12046

Fans Player Of The Year: Aniello Cutolo

My Player Of The Year: Luca Giunchi

Notable Results: 7-0 vs Fucecchio, 4-1 vs Brescia, 4-2 vs Ancona, 4-1 vs Modena, 1-5 vs Reggina, 2-4 vs Modena, 5-0 vs Pescara.

Transfers In: 8 players in for a combined £850k. Goalkeeper Andy Wilson commanded a large chunk of this, and at £325k, was the club's record signing. He moves from Salzburg to help combat the goalkeeping problem at the club. Daniel Bradaschia, a proven forward at this level, joined from Udinese for £300k, and another striker, Fabio, was signed from Botafogo for £60k, where he was eager to join up with old friend Roberto. There were a couple of free transfers too, none more spectacular than the signing of Aniello Cutolo, a pacey winger who's skill and experience is sure to benefit the side.

Best Buy: Aniello Cutolo. For no money at all, this was a very good bit of business. He quickly became a fans' favourite, and was their player of the year for his debut season at the club.

Worst Buy: Andy Wilson. He cost a lot of money, and although has the talent to hold down a first team goalkeeping position, he has angered the fans too many times, and may be asked to leave sometime in the near future.

Transfers Out: 2 players released, Ildefons Lima joins Burgos for £3k, Angelo Vallerani joins Valenzana on loan for match experience.

Best Sale: Lima was costing us over £1.5k per week, and with nothing much to show for it, the club was glad to be shot of him, easing the wage budget slightly.

Table

Round-Up: We were predicted by the media to be relegated straight back down, but set about defying them right from the off, with two brilliant victories over Brescia and Ancona in our first three games, putting us top of the table at one point. We began losing matches, which was only to be expected, although we had the quality to pick up valuable points here and there which, when crunch time came around, was enough to see us retain Serie B status for another season at least. Luca Giunchi was again a****st the goals, performing even better than he had done in the previous seasons, where he has shown continuous improvement. New winger Aniello Cutolo finished as the league's highest assist maker. One of the things we had taken with us throughout our ascent was that of goal-scoring, hitting more than our position's worth yet again. A calf injury hampered Jeroen Vonk's season, and the Dutch striker missed out on the chance for plenty of goals. New boy Bradaschia fitted in nicely alongside both Vonk and his replacement Ogude. There has been plenty of interest in Vonk, as well as in Ghilardi and new goalkeeper Andy Wilson - who despite the name is 100% French. He's very arrogant, and wants to leave. I may have to sell him for less than his worth just to help things improve in the dressing room.

All in all, it was a good season, and we will be looking at improving for next campaign, where a top half finish would not be unreasonable.

SEASON     DIVISION      POSITION      NOTES
2009/10    Serie C2      3rd           Promotion via playoffs
2010/11    Serie C1      5th           Lost in playoff final
2011/12    Serie C1      3rd           Promotion via playoffs, Serie C Cup
2012/13    Serie B       14th

Aims For Next Season: Finish in the top half.

good first season in Serie B there Dave. i echo what daemonic says :D

as for Oviedo, i'm now 1/3 of the way through the season and am in the title hunt in the league. as for the CL, i only finished 3rd in the group :( not very happy to be honest, but i'm determined to try and win the UEFA cup to make up for the disappointment. we've also moved into December which means clubs trying to unsettle my players. all being well i'll be able to keep my stars, as with them we've a decent chance in the league...

got to say it's good to be back into my Real Oviedo save, and i've caught the bug again.

I've had a very free couple of days, in which I've been FMing at least 8 hours per day.. I should cut back. I had two seasons done already, but I have done a season a day both yesterday and today.

That's impressive speed Dave. I remember back on CM3 I could crank out about a season and a half whilst on study leave, but each successive game seems to take longer to get through a season.

Archived